• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Short Teaser for Sonic: Frontiers (More info next month)

Fake

that Sonic jank

Nc5L13t.gif

Janky as fuck.

I can't wait to get my hands on this game. You know the biggest thing that has harmed the industry lately? This belief that nearly everything has to be visually cutting edge and pushing the limits of tech to be taken as seriously as the next game out there. I've always been mindful to never lose sight of why I lost my mind over games like DBZ Legends back in the day on the PS1, or what made titles like Sonic Adventure so fun for me. Games are about an escape. Many times they won't always fit your criteria for impressive or realistic. The goal of a good game is to help make it easy for you to fill in those blanks and capture your imagination. This is why it's so much easier for me to look at games and get excited. I want to see how the game design and fun factor pan out.

Saber

Gold Member
My god what did I just saw? They really though it was a great idea to make it look like BoW? Is Sonic cimbling instead of running? Cheesuz, Sonic can't even touch the mountain/ground properly while running. And whats up with fps?

And if people are gonna spam the "realistic" excuse, look how weird the game look with real looking grass/rocks in contrast with bumpers, rails and others. Its really weird, as if they are out of place objects.

I presume the game is bloated with those ballons because plataform with modern Sonic doesn't work the way they predicted, so he needs homming attacks to reach plataforms. Also, Sonic is probably gonna have a health bar, judging the hearts.

Pejo

It does. This will blow up in the faces of the GAF anti Sonic illuminati trying to poison the narrative.
I'm planning on giving it a fair shake. If he kisses another human princess though, I'm out. You have to at least admire their resolve to just keep going with it despite fan feedback. I wish more devs would just do what they want instead of worrying about fans, focus groups, and corporate execs.

Unknown?

I'm planning on giving it a fair shake. If he kisses another human princess though, I'm out. You have to at least admire their resolve to just keep going with it despite fan feedback. I wish more devs would just do what they want instead of worrying about fans, focus groups, and corporate execs.
They aren't stopping with a kiss in this, they're going for an Abby scene like tlou2.

Ho does it look awesome? For a game Sega keeps saying they won't delay and say they are confident in they sure don't show much of anything, 3 months from release.

The trailer is literally Sonic running through empty fields and fighting the same giant enemy rap we've seen 40 times.

Ho does it look awesome? For a game Sega keeps saying they won't delay and say they are confident in they sure don't show much of anything, 3 months from release.

The trailer is literally Sonic running through empty fields and fighting the same giant enemy rap we've seen 40 times.
Plenty of games have emphasized one area leading up to release. The open areas is what’s on display here. We can safely assume a good bit of the rest of the game will be Sonic doing Sonic things we’ve seen before.

Last edited:
Plenty of games have emphasized one area leading up to release. The open areas is what’s on display here. We can safely assume a good bit of the rest of the game will be Sonic doing Sonic things we’ve seen before.

I didn't say anything about the area, i said all they showed was Sonic running through EMPTY fields.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
But you don’t admire their resolve to portray human/animal cross-species sexual relationships? Seems like that is the boldest move of all.

Nvzman

I didn't say anything about the area, i said all they showed was Sonic running through EMPTY fields.
I still don't understand this complaint. You know if there was more compartmentalized level design people would be bitching "You can't even go fast this platformer is too slow this Sonic game sucks". There's clearly open areas for you to build up speed in for the platforming segments, we've seen plenty of gameplay of Sonic running up towers and going up the ramps for platforming sections, its very obvious its intentionally supposed to be spacious.

I still don't understand this complaint. You know if there was more compartmentalized level design people would be bitching

I don't know where you've been, but they've shown gameplay and level design several times, and some were leaked from an NDA even via someone's smartphone.

But the ones officially shown were at first were bad, and then the next round were slightly better and Sega has not given us new real gameplay ever since for a game coming out in 3 months with the creator saying that "we just don't understand" the vision, and they won't show us the vision. The defense for this game doesn't make any sense for Sega not giving us anything substantial yet.

They will be at Gamecom maybe they won't have an NDA and will finally show us gameplay, but until then empty fields don't inspire confidence.

Saber

Gold Member
Dunno which thread to post this in because it doesn't warrant a new thread IMO, but I picked this one.

JP trailer leaked.

I still give a fair laugh in this entire idea. Sounds stupid for Sonic standarts, although I admit I could see this working using Generations visuals. Japanese Sega usually do a better job presenting their videos. I remember way back when Chronicles was launched, they actually showed a decent video (with cgi and all). Didn't make the game less than an excrement though.

Top Bottom