• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I be offended?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIMIC

Banned
Today, I went to a multicultural event at my college. It was a food event that involved tasting and dining on the many different types of food from a variety cultures (Israel, India, Malaysia, etc.).

Outside, they were taking free pictures of you and you could choose which background to have yourself, for the the lack of a better phrase, "photoshoped into." There were a variety of backgrounds to choose from which also included famous landmarks: Paris, in front of the Arc de Triomphe; Canada, with Niagara Falls; England, with Stonehenge; etc.

One place caught my eye. It was titled, "Da Hood," complete with the background of a rundown project, with a McDonald's in the background.

At first, I was like, "Wow, how...uh...funny (?)" Then, I saw a group of people choose that background, trying to 'naturalize' the photo by throwing up "gang signs" (in quotations because they have no idea what a gang sign looks like). Then, one of the girls actually said, "I used to grow UP in the hood," when it was obvious that "growing up" in the hood meant anything but.

My group chose a background with soldiers heading off somewhere, and we saluted them in our picture (it was my friends idea....I wanted Paris :)).

How in the hell is "Da Hood" going to be among the many cultural hot spots that go along with the theme of the food event? I don't remember eating any chitlins, drinking any Kool-Aid, or slamming Dominos onto a makeshift picnic table.

I just stared at the photo.

Greece. Beijing. London. Athens.

Da Hood.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Jesus Christ... if you get offended at shit like that, I don't know how the fuck you survive in the world.

Actually, no, you SHOULD be offended. And every soldier that sees your (probably) fucked up salute, OBVIOUSLY 'mocking' their way of life, should be offended by you, too.

Don't go around getting offended at stupid shit if you're gonna turn around and do it to other groups of people.

fart

Savant
saluting is a sign of respect, dude.

it's hilarious that a guy named whytemyke would be the first to be offended that someone else was offended by something pretty obviously crass AND RACIALLY INSENSITIVE THAT'S IMPORTANT TO THIS HILARIOUS OBSERVATION.

fart

Savant
if you look at the actual, honest to god numbers, the poor inner city is populated by minorities in the vast majority of cases

MIMIC

Banned
demi said:
I would have went with Da Hood as well, what's the big deal?

First of all, "Da Hood" is not a geographical location. Secondly, it's a "big deal" because it is being misrepresented as a place where "good times" and "fond old memories" take place.

"Hey kids, let's have our vacation in Da Hood this year. Won't that be fun?"

Are you kidding me?

I grew up in the hood, you know.

I think our respective "hoods" may have drastically differed.

MIMIC

Banned
whytemyke said:
Actually, no, you SHOULD be offended. And every soldier that sees your (probably) fucked up salute, OBVIOUSLY 'mocking' their way of life, should be offended by you, too.

I won't call you an idiot.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
it's hilarious that a guy named whytemyke would be the first to be offended that someone else was offended by something pretty obviously crass AND RACIALLY INSENSITIVE THAT'S IMPORTANT TO THIS HILARIOUS OBSERVATION.

I'm not offended by THAT shit, man. It takes a whole lot to offend me, man, and I'm not even sure if it's possible. I just get annoyed as shit at people whining about other peoplesl ignorance insulting one group of people, when they don't stop to consider the fact that their own ignorance (and a fucked up salute is best kept at ease) could equally be a slap in the face to other people.

I hear white people live in cities, too.

What?! WHERE?! Next thing you're gonna tell me is that they use the word 'da', too. HOLY SHIT MAN, U TEH FUKED UP!!!!11!!

MIMIC

Banned
whytemyke said:
I just get annoyed as shit at people whining about other peoplesl ignorance insulting one group of people, when they don't stop to consider the fact that their own ignorance (and a fucked up salute is best kept at ease) could equally be a slap in the face to other people.

A salute to U.S. soldiers, honoring their sacrifice(s) is a "slap in the face." I would really be interested in meeting a soldier who took offense to my salute.

Again, calling you an idiot would do no justice.

ShadowRed

Banned
To all the people making fun of this guy for asking if he should be offended, would you do the same if he posted that there was a picture of emaciated Jews behind barbed wire fenses and people were doing the Nazi salute?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
fart said:
if you look at the actual, honest to god numbers, the poor inner city is populated by minorities in the vast majority of cases

where are all the poor white people? Blacks make up 34% of welfare, Latinos 19% and 21% is other.... so I guess that leaves 27% to the white people... they have to live somewhere...

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
A salute to U.S. soldiers, honoring their sacrifice(s) is a "slap in the face." I would really be interested in meeting a soldier who took offense to my salute.

I would really be interested in meeting someone who thought the word 'da' was an affront to minorities. You know, besides yourself.

would you do the same if he posted that there was a picture of emaciated Jews behind barbed wire fenses and people were doing the Nazi salute?

So are you comparing a picture that is labeled as 'da hood' as the same thing as burning jews and dancing nazis?

MIMIC

Banned
whytemyke said:
I would really be interested in meeting someone who thought the word 'da' was an affront to minorities. You know, besides yourself.

Uh, "da" isn't the issue here (although your supposition would get you meeting a LOT of new faces).

snaildog

Not really relevant, but what's that great part in Family Guy about offended Christians? "Well, I guess I'll just have to grow a sense of humour then!" or something.

ShadowRed

Banned
whytemyke said:

So are you comparing a picture that is labeled as 'da hood' as the same thing as burning jews and dancing nazis?

Yeah I thought that was rather obvious. At any rate you have people poking fun at a group of people in a dire situation not of their making. It's the same as making fun of any other victim.

MIMIC

Banned
snaildog said:
Not really relevant, but what's that great part in Family Guy about offended Christians? "Well, I guess I'll just have to grow a sense of humour then!" or something.

That was in the context of COMEDY. I'm a Christian and I laughed my ass off.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Well what is da issue? the fact that they included da hood, or da fact dat dey called it 'da hood'?

what would you prefer they call it? Queens Bridge? Compton?

Nobody is saying that the picture background isn't fucking retarded here. I'm saying that it's stupid to be offended over it. Now, if they had little black kids in the background eating watermelon, mexicans running around in a group carrying stolen rims and burritos, and some Seikh driving a cab, then of course you've got a point. But honestly, because they show run down buildings and call it 'da hood', you think it's an attack on minorities?

1) Whites do live in the cities, and whites do say the word 'da'.
2) Don't you think the fact that you automatically assumed that run down buildings and the word 'da' means that its talking about minorities, instead of just a run down city (see: saginaw, michigan), might even point a little bit towards your own learned racism, regardless of any ethnicity you may have?

If they showed a picture of cornfields and barns, and called it "Tha farm", I wouldn't automatically assume it meant a 'white' farm, or a background relating to 'white' people. Would you? Or do black people not own farms?

Yeah I thought that was rather obvious. At any rate you have people poking fun at a group of people in a dire situation not of their making. It's the same as making fun of any other victim.

no, there's no 'people' being poked fun at here. Its just a background, with no people around, as it's described. All this shit about it alluding to race is a mere illusion, because everyone here so far sees 'broke down buildings' and automatically think it relates to minorities.

Mimic, the thing is "da hood" isn't racist. It's inappropriate in this situation, but it's nothing that should personally offend you. People from all ethnic backgrounds can and do live in "da hood." If it bothers you that much, you could take it to a higher-up to help the school avoid any further embarrassment.

etiolate

Banned
If it was a cotton field lined by watermelon patches then yes you should be offended. Urban culture and counter culture are still cultures though.

Lil' Dice

Banned
They're making a mockery of a place which is a plight to certain segments of society, and a detriment to low income minorities; it's nothing to celebrate nor glorify.
However this country is chock full of crass individals with sense of decency, so i'm not at all surprised....

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Lil' Dice said:
They're making a mockery of a place which is a plight to certain segments of society, and a detriment to low income minorities; it's nothing to celebrate nor glorify.
However this country is chock full of crass individals with sense of decency, so i'm not at all surprised....

They're not making a mockery of PEOPLE. They're making a mockery of a certain place. The fact that you all are automatically assuming that minorities are the only people that live in that place is what is, quite frankly, disturbing.

However, this country is chock full of brainwashed individuals who don't think about everything they consider a gut reaction, so I'm not at all surprised...

fart

Savant
Blackace said:
where are all the poor white people? Blacks make up 34% of welfare, Latinos 19% and 21% is other.... so I guess that leaves 27% to the white people... they have to live somewhere...
do you know the answer to this or are you genuinely curious?

i'm not sure where these numbers come from (is this nationally?), but it is a good question. there are definitely underprivileged people of every ethnicity. from what i know though, the kinds of places that "da hood" might be referring to tend to be majority minority. a lot of this is the result of suburbanization, etc. certainly, there is a lot of land in the US, and there are a lot of variables that can be used to explain who is living where.

i think we can agree that it is an extremely class-insensitive gesture at least.

MIMIC

Banned
whytemyke said:
Well what is da issue? the fact that they included da hood, or da fact dat dey called it 'da hood'?

Again: Multicultural event. Greece. Beijing. London. Athens.

Da Hood.

But honestly, because they show run down buildings and call it 'da hood', you think it's an attack on minorities?

If you honestly think that "Da Hood" isn't meant to describe a black neighborhood, then you're lying to yourself.

Be fucking real.

1) Whites do live in the cities, and whites do say the word 'da'.

Who's denying that? There are also black republicans who live in Malibu, but that's not what you think of when you describe that type of environment.

2) Don't you think the fact that you automatically assumed that run down buildings and the word 'da' means that its talking about minorities, instead of just a run down city (see: saginaw, michigan), might even point a little bit towards your own learned racism, regardless of any ethnicity you may have?

Excuse me for associating my childhood environment with something I saw portrayed in a picture, coupled with a phrase undoubtedly started by blacks.

Run down cities != "Da Hood." Don't deny reality in order to make a point.

If they showed a picture of cornfields and barns, and called it "Tha farm", I wouldn't automatically assume it meant a 'white' farm, or a background relating to 'white' people. Would you? Or do black people not own farms?

You're a fucking liar. And I don't need to go any deeper with a basic psychology lesson to prove it, either.

kablooey

Most poor white people live in rural areas. Most poor black people live in urban areas. I hope this isn't too hasty of a generalization to make.

I don't know if you should really be offended...unless you want to be offended at the stupidity of it, which would be totally acceptable. :p However...I do think it's rather obvious what they're insinuating by calling it "Da Hood", because the media's taught us that all black people talk that way. (Unless they're white people who're trying to "act black", but that's another issue.) Again though, I'd agree that it's more stupid and maybe ignorant than truly malicious in its intent. So let it go. :)

Blackace

fart said:
do you know the answer to this or are you genuinely curious?

i'm not sure where these numbers come from (is this nationally?), but it is a good question. there are definitely underprivileged people of every ethnicity. from what i know though, the kinds of places that "da hood" might be referring to tend to be majority minority. a lot of this is the result of suburbanization, etc. certainly, there is a lot of land in the US, and there are a lot of variables that can be used to explain who is living where.

i think we can agree that it is an extremely class-insensitive gesture at least.

The numbers are from 1997. so when I wrote a report about media fallacies about welfare. But we have to rememer that there are ghettos everywhere in the states they just come in different forms than we see on the news everyday. Inner city is a buzz word that now equals poor and not white. But what about the "outer-city" ghettos, trailer parks and smaller town people who suffer from being poor and are victims to crimes and drugs just like their inner city cousins

Lil' Dice

Banned
whytemyke said:
They're not making a mockery of PEOPLE. They're making a mockery of a certain place. The fact that you all are automatically assuming that minorities are the only people that live in that place is what is, quite frankly, disturbing.

However, this country is chock full of brainwashed individuals who don't think about everything they consider a gut reaction, so I'm not at all surprised...

When i see the words "Da Hood", which clearly mimic urban-black slang i can't but to think they're mocking a 'certain' segment of society. When was the last time you heard some hillbilly refer to his neck of the woods as "Da Hood"?
Quit making empty excuses, i don't give a fuck about them mocking ghetto life since i have nothing to do with it any longer.....It's all in the past for me.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
MIMIC said:
Who's denying that? There are also black republicans who live in Malibu, but that's not what you think of when you describe that type of environment.

No, that's not what YOU think of when you describe that type of environment. I'm not exactly sure here, and maybe I'm wrong, but I don't believe you can speak knowledgeably about the first reactions of millions of people you don't even know.

MIMIC said:
Run down cities != "Da Hood." Don't deny reality in order to make a point.
And don't ignore simple logic in order to keep from being further embarrassed.

MIMIC said:
You're a fucking liar. And I don't need to go any deeper with a basic psychology lesson to prove it, either.
Haha, well, I'm sure that namecalling will really make your argument look amazing. Assuming that I would think a certain way in order to bolster your argument also really doesn't bode well for your stance.

And if you're capable of even going any deeper into psychological thought, you'd be able to admit that the stereotypes of such an image are yours to hold, because of events that you have lived, and aren't necessarily shared by everyone else. You're projecting your own insecurities onto outside objects and then taking them as insults.

Do you think that if you had grown up in a different place, say, in a predominantly white run-down city, you'd have the same preconceptions about a certain type of environment?

You're assuming that everyone who sees that stupid background is assuming that it's alluding to black people or any other minority. And when you assume, you make an ass of u and me. :)

Lil' Dice

Banned
Well, the fact that those girls had the instinct to immediately throw up "gang signs" leads me to believe they also knew that Da Hood=Negro Dwelling.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Lil' Dice said:
Well, the fact that those girls had the instinct to immediately throw up "gang signs" leads me to believe they also knew that Da Hood=Negro Dwelling.

Oh yeah... I've never seen white gangsters. Nope. Not once.

Lil' Dice

Banned
whytemyke said:
Oh yeah... I've never seen white gangsters. Nope. Not once.

I have. They're most commongly know as Wiggers.
But the real white gangstes live in Washington, and wear business suits, and don't communicate by throwing up gang-signs.

Blackace

Lil' Dice said:

Gang signs to not equal black. Like WhiteMike said white gangters bang also. And they do bang hardcore, just like Mexicans, Asians (South East Asians bang as hard as anyone I have ever seen) and anyone else who is poor and is looking for an escape or trying to get their's anyway they can .

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
But the real white gangstes live in Washington, and wear business suits.

heh, since when did they become gangsters? I thought they were still considered slime. gangsters at least have a set of ethics as far as I know.

Lil' Dice

Banned
whytemyke said:
heh, since when did they become gangsters? I thought they were still considered slime. gangsters at least have a set of ethics as far as I know.

At least we can agree on that.

fart

Savant
Blackace said:
The numbers are from 1997. so when I wrote a report about media fallacies about welfare. But we have to rememer that there are ghettos everywhere in the states they just come in different forms than we see on the news everyday. Inner city is a buzz word that now equals poor and not white. But what about the "outer-city" ghettos, trailer parks and smaller town people who suffer from being poor and are victims to crimes and drugs just like their inner city cousins
well there are some different issues at play in those areas. the word ghetto is ethnically motivated as well. it's not like we're purposefully ignoring the rural poor here on purpose, but the issue is particularly that inner city buzzword you're talking about. a cultural awareness event should not use the stereotype of the urban ethnic ghetto without analyzing it critically. it's ridiculous, and should be at least a little offensive to anyone with sense.
Gang signs to not equal black. Like WhiteMike said white gangters bang also. And they do bang hardcore, just like Mexicans, Asians (South East Asians bang as hard as anyone I have ever seen) and anyone else who is poor and is looking for an escape or trying to get their's anyway they can .
while this is absolutely true, it's a question of intention on the part of the organizers and ignorance in what could easily be seen as glorification of a byproduct of marginalization.

Lil' Dice

Banned
Blackace said:

Tell me about some harcore white gangs that don't emulate black urban culture, yet live in "Da Hood"....Enlighten me.

Matlock

Banned
Blackace said:

West Virginia.

Lil' Dice said:
Tell me about some harcore white gangs that don't emulate black urban culture, yet live in "Da Hood"....Enlighten me.
The Mafia when they first immigrated to America? Oh wait I think Black gangs try to emulate them first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom