• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I be offended?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Lil' Dice said:
Tell me about some harcore white gangs that don't emulate black urban culture, yet live in "Da Hood"....Enlighten me.

uhh the mafia comes to mind first. Hell's Angels comes to mind second... there are a number of White power type groups that deal drugs all over Washington state the first group of them that come to mind is the "peckerwoods" They didn't mind playing cards with us brothers, or selling dope to us... but they let you know you were an outsider to their group and always will be. I only played cards with them in jail, never dealt with them when I used to "run" in the streets

MIMIC

Banned
whytemyke said:
No, that's not what YOU think of when you describe that type of environment. I'm not exactly sure here, and maybe I'm wrong, but I don't believe you can speak knowledgeably about the first reactions of millions of people you don't even know.

Don't delude yourself. You can't deny the fact that the phrase "Da Hood" isn't essentially meant to describe a black community infested with all that is bad in society (drugs, violence, etc.)

Seriously. Why the fuck do you insist on riding on this lie that you continue to perpetuate in your head?

And if you're capable of even going any deeper into psychological thought, you'd be able to admit that the stereotypes of such an image are yours to hold, because of events that you have lived, and aren't necessarily shared by everyone else. You're projecting your own insecurities onto outside objects and then taking them as insults.

Yeah. I'm overstepping my bounds by appointing myself the spokesman of members of "Da Hood," a place notorious for rampant violence, drugs, and broken-down homes, by saying that it isn't necessarily a place to be celebrated to live in.

How rude of me. They surely would have a difference of opinion.

You're assuming that everyone who sees that stupid background is assuming that it's alluding to black people or any other minority. And when you assume, you make an ass of u and me. :)

Again, you continue to deny that "Da Hood" is a widely known term to describe a violence-ridden (plus a lot more) black neighborhood.

Lil' Dice

Banned
Blackace said:
uhh the mafia comes to mind first. Hell's Angels comes to mind second... there are a number of White power type groups that deal drugs all over Washington state the first group of them that come to mind is the "peckerwoods" They didn't mind playing cards with us brothers, or selling dope to us... but they let you know you were an outsider to their group and always will be. I only played cards with them in jail, never dealt with them when I used to "run" in the streets

Do they refer to their dwellings as "Da Hood"?
That's all i want to know.

Blackace

Lil' Dice said:
Do they refer to their dwellings as "Da Hood"?
That's all i want to know.

What is your point really? Most blacks in gangs don't call their dwellings da' hood also...

Lil' Dice

Banned
Blackace said:
What is your point really? Most blacks in gangs don't call their dwellings da' hood also...

Shit, read the first post!
I don't know about where you live, but in LA/Cali they do.

Blackace

Lil' Dice said:
Shit, read the first post!
I don't know about where you live, but in LA/Cali they do.

I read the first post. And I don't see why anyone should be offended by the word da' hood. I'm from Washington lived there my whole life, until now. Was into some shit for a number of years until I got locked up, then decided to give it up and get an education and do something with my life. Almost none of the gangsters I knew called their "dwellings" da' hood. Some did because they heard it on a Ice Cube album, but really saying that if a white person calls where he lives da hood then he is copying black culture when a black kid who is banging in texas calls his where he lives the hood is copying what he heard from music or movies. You see the word ghetto isn't from America, it is from Germany, a word for where the Jews lived. But if under the same situation would you assume they were talking about blacks if they said "da ghetto"?

MIMIC

Banned
A few things I would like to know from whytemyke:

Is the phrase "Da Hood" typically meant and understood in society to describe a less-than-ideal black setting? (we even have a movie with "Da Hood" in its title, if you needed a tip) Yes or no?

Since you answered yes, does it deserve to be among the many places celebrated for their historical significance and for what they put forth to the intrigue, intellectual stimulation, and betterment of society?

Since you answered no, why is "Da Hood" being offered as a background? Simple....to MOCK those who live there (as demonstrated by the less-than-accurate gang signs).

Remember those little activities you did as a kid? Like the one called "What doesn't belong?" Hopefully, you were good at those, and could apply that game to this real life situation.

I'm off to bed.

Lil' Dice

Banned
Blackace said:
I read the first post. And I don't see why anyone should be offended by the word da' hood. I'm from Washington lived there my whole life, until now. Was into some shit for a number of years until I got locked up, then decided to give it up and get an education and do something with my life. Almost none of the gangsters I knew called their "dwellings" da' hood. Some did because they heard it on a Ice Cube album, but really saying that if a white person calls where he lives da hood then he is copying black culture when a black kid who is banging in texas calls his where he lives the hood is copying what he heard from music or movies. You see the word ghetto isn't from America, it is from Germany, a word for where the Jews lived. But if under the same situation would you assume they were talking about blacks if they said "da ghetto"?

It depends on the context. I'm pretty sure you'll be hard pressed to find ghettos overflowing with Jews nowadays.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
MIMIC said:
A few things I would like to know from whytemyke:

Is the phrase "Da Hood" typically meant and understood in society to describe a less-than-ideal black setting? (we even have a movie with "Da Hood" in its title, if you needed a tip) Yes or no?

Since you answered yes, does it deserve to be among the many places celebrated for their historical significance and for what they put forth to the intrigue, intellectual stimulation, and betterment of society?

Since you answered no, why is "Da Hood" being offered as a background? Simple....to MOCK those who live there (as demonstrated by the less-than-accurate gang signs).

Remember those little activities you did as a kid? Like the one called "What doesn't belong?" Hopefully, you were good at those, and could apply that game to this real life situation.

I'm off to bed.

wtf, its just a fucking picture....You said you used a picture of Soldiers going off somewhere, how the is that the equal of Romes " intrigue, intellectual stimulation, and betterment of society"? Why single out the one picture when clearly there were many that had nothing to do with the function you were attending.

Then again maybe you have a point, that picture you mentioned of the Arc de Triomphe is clearly mocking the french for building an arc dedicated to Napoleons conquest of europe (which in the end never even happened). Those bastards, wheres my phone....

Master Z

So did they have some representation from places such as Africa or Jamaica? If it's supposed to be a multi-cultural thing and they have France, Germany etc and the only hint of any type of black "culture" is "da hood" then that's fucked up and whoever put together this thing is ignorant as hell...

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
What I want to know is did they have Da Trailer park? I think what MIMIC is getting upset about is that someone had to sit down and think about this and say ok what are we going to do for african americans? Oh I know lets put a project with a liquor store and some mc donalds yeah thats what i've seen on tv. The problem is, thats stereotyping, Im black, grew up in an all black neighborhood just outside of philly for 9 years. Safest place I ever lived, a whole lot safer than the Predominantly white East Lansing, I cant count the time i've forgotten to lock my front door , or even woke up with my front door wide open , nothin. And by definition that WAS a ghetto only black people lived there in Morton PA, and no we couldnt move to certain neighboring towns we werent allowed, so yes it was segregated as well. Obviously MIMIC is just as "black" as the next guy no matter what tv tells the world and doesnt understand why that particular background was the general choice to represent african americans.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
So who was the picture of the soldiers carefully picked out to represent at this cultural food fair?

Army Cooks?

It's just a picture for christ sake. Im sure absolutely zero thought went into it's inclusion and im especially sure no one thought "Hey what if black people come? We need a picture of a ghetto".

MIMIC

Banned
Master Z said:
So did they have some representation from places such as Africa or Jamaica? If it's supposed to be a multi-cultural thing and they have France, Germany etc and the only hint of any type of black "culture" is "da hood" then that's fucked up and whoever put together this thing is ignorant as hell...

"Da Hood" was the 'black culture' there.

There was nothing that even represented African culture. Something like the Frederick Douglass House would have been something of significance and relevance (in regards to African-American culture).

wtf, its just a fucking picture....You said you used a picture of Soldiers going off somewhere, how the is that the equal of Romes " intrigue, intellectual stimulation, and betterment of society"? Why single out the one picture when clearly there were many that had nothing to do with the function you were attending.

The picture of the soldiers may not have been on a level of that of the other backgrounds, but since our country is at war....well, I'll let you figure that one out.

And just to clarify, like I said earlier, "Da" isn't the issue. A title as simple as "The Hood" wouldn't be any different, since both are synonymous for what they intend to describe.

sounds pretty dumb to have 'da hood' there...

instead of something like a grassy mesa with elephants in the background...

or maybe a pic of MLK speaking in front of a crowd and they photoshop you being there in the crowd, that would be cool...

but if i got offended everytime i saw or heard something stupid like that, i would never accomplish anything, i would just be pissed off all day every day...

Blackace

The Faceless Master said:
but if i got offended everytime i saw or heard something stupid like that, i would never accomplish anything, i would just be pissed off all day every day...

Amen,,,

MIMIC

Banned
The Faceless Master said:

So, I'm supposed to go, "Oh well...another mockery of blacks."?

I was really close to inquiring about the background, but I didn't want to mar my friends' evening by ending it on a sour note.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom