• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I buy a Switch?

Karmic Raze

I was thinking about buying another PS4 Pro, but since the PS5 is right around the corner, I figured it would be a waste. Would a Switch be a good buy right now? And which one should I get if I did buy one? The OG? I had the Switch Lite around Christmas time, but maybe the OG would work better for me?

And what are the must have games? I’ve already seen/played Super Mario Odyssey, so that’s out. I really want My Hero One’s Justice 2 and Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 for it, but are they good on the Switch compared to the PS4 versions?

Also, is it better to go physical or digital? And if I go digital, what kind of cards should I be looking at?

EDIT: Is the Switch hard to find? I see it’s out of stock everywhere online and eBay prices are astronomical. What’s the deal with that?

Thanks for your recs/help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It depends on what kind of gamer you are.

I bought one recently, it's a very good system. If you like Nintendo games, instead of buying a current gen system(PS4 or XB1) right at the end of the cycle, the Switch is definitely a superior deal.

For me, it's better going physical. Because at least I really own the games, and if I need to I can resell them, or trade them in for other games.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Short answer: Yes!
Long answer: Of course!
True answer: If you like the games they put out on the system, and if you can find one. I love it, but I'd never pay the ridiculous prices we see today.

I went all digital. Makes the experience so much more convenient not having to switch cartridges whenever I (or my kids) jump between games. Started with 128 GB, but realized rather quickly that it wasn't enough. Having to erase and re-install became a hassle, so I got a 400 GB card. Now I'm set.

Gamerguy84

As you said you already have a PS4.. a d there are no PRO exclusives.

So if those are the options id say get a Switch.

Sign up for notifications on nowinstock.net - I've gotten like 10 in-stock notifications in the last week (maybe more) for the Switch at retail price. I'd also never pay scalper prices for it even though I love the system.

GiJoint

I just bought one, a Neon V2 last week, it was a complete last minute add on to a bunch of purchases made all at once. Haven’t got any games for it yet. On the one hand I’m very curious about playing games like Doom 2016 on the go, but I already own that...so I might just use it for Nintendo exclusives. Haven’t decided yet. The games on the estore are way more expensive than PlayStation and Xbox though!

Last edited:

Fbh

At this point I'd wait for the Ps5 instead of buying a pro. Specially if you already have a base PS4.

As for the Switc, it's a fun console with some fun games but since the hardware is really underpowered compared to every other console it's really only worth it for the exclusives and maybe the occasional graphically undemanding indie game. For more demanding games like MHA or Naruto you'll probably get significantly lower resolution and worse graphics than on any other sysyem so I'd only pick those up if you really want to play them on the go.

From what I've played the games I've enjoyed are:
Breath of the Wild
Mario Odyssey
Smash
Astral Chain
Xenoblade 2
Mario Rabbids
Luigi's Mansion 3
Golf Story
Cadence of Hyrule
Hollow Knight (also on other systems but looks and runs nicely on switch)

If you never had a WiiU then Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2 and Mario Kart are great too

And as for regular or lite it will really depend on how you want to use it. My usage is pretty close to 50/50 between handheld and docket so I'd definitely go with a regular one

Last edited:
Short answer: Yes!
Long answer: Of course!
True answer: If you like the games they put out on the system, and if you can find one. I love it, but I'd never pay the ridiculous prices we see today.

I went all digital. Makes the experience so much more convenient not having to switch cartridges whenever I (or my kids) jump between games. Started with 128 GB, but realized rather quickly that it wasn't enough. Having to erase and re-install became a hassle, so I got a 400 GB card. Now I'm set.

This guy tells no lies.

Especially about the SD card. I got both my wife and I 400GB cards. They're more than cheap enough now to be a no brainer.

cireza

I don't recommend the OG over the Lite as far as I am concerned.

Hardware is pretty poor for demanding games and I can't be satisfied with the graphics proposed (blurry, low res, low framerate). However, the console is fine as a handheld, and obviously, the Lite offers the superior handheld experience.

To summarize : for me, the Switch is a fine console when considered a handheld device first and foremost (Switch Lite), and used to play "smaller" games (good gaming conditions).

Last edited:

-MD-

I didn't enjoy the Wii and WiiU Nintendo era but they really brought me back in with the Switch, it's got a nice library.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I got mine fairly recently, my first console after years as a PC gamer. It’s full fat and I’ve give mostly physical for the really important games because I like to own stuff. Honestly there’s some amazing stuff on it. Zelda BOTW obviously is brilliant, Astral Chain is a work of art, Catherine Full Body is coming soon, the various Mario platformers are excellent, etc. The other cool thing is there’s a lot of stuff I can enjoy in coop or local 2 player with my wife - in some ways it’s a focus of the system, after all it comes with 2 controllers stuck to it.

That said, if you didn’t get on with the lite I doubt going full fat would suddenly make it better. I love the flexibility and enjoy both modes but that’s because the content is awesome. The Switch has that Nintendo content, pure gameplay free of bullshit. That’s what I value in the console and that’s why I fucking adore my Switch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Should you buy a switch? Yes.
Can you buy a switch? Nope, they’ve been sold out everywhere for months now.

I’ve been considering buying one myself but I got frustrated trying to find one in stock anywhere without paying scalpers so I gave up.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Switch is pretty cool but I have to wonder how long it'll be before a Switch 2 or Switch Pro comes out.

GetemMa

If you like Nintendo franchises it's a no brainer.

Nintendo first party has been stellar this gen IMO.

If you don't care about Nintendo's first party games then it's an easy no.

The hardware is flexible and does the job but games are why we play and the hardware never got in the way of me enjoying Nintendo games on Switch.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Of course, if you can find it. First time in a long time that a Nintendo console has been my most played in a gen, but the Switch has done it. It’s the quality of the games, not the volume or graphics.

samporter

Banned
Yes. If possible, get the original version which allows you to mod. The Switch is currently the best emulation console, with emulators support going up to Dreamcast generation. One Switch and a decent size SD card and you will have almost every system prior to PS2 on one device.

Even though I have a PS4, Switch is my primary console. It's portable, an emulation powerhouse, and it's the least noisy, least power consuming, and least space hogging device on my entertainment stand.

Kokoloko85

My only reason to say no is to wait and see about the Switch “2” or if you want to buy a PS5/ XBox?

If not go ahead, its got some amazing exclusives and if you like portable gaming than you cant go wrong

D.Final

Banned
I was thinking about buying another PS4 Pro, but since the PS5 is right around the corner, I figured it would be a waste. Would a Switch be a good buy right now? And which one should I get if I did buy one? The OG? I had the Switch Lite around Christmas time, but maybe the OG would work better for me?

And what are the must have games? I’ve already seen/played Super Mario Odyssey, so that’s out. I really want My Hero One’s Justice 2 and Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 for it, but are they good on the Switch compared to the PS4 versions?

Also, is it better to go physical or digital? And if I go digital, what kind of cards should I be looking at?

EDIT: Is the Switch hard to find? I see it’s out of stock everywhere online and eBay prices are astronomical. What’s the deal with that?

Yeah
Why not.
If there's enough games that you think you would enjoy

Elcid

Banned

Don't buy the switch for cross platform. Only buy the switch if there are must have nintendo games for you. I personally collect dust on mine. Even my kids prefer the ps4.

Top Bottom