• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Odds of the "Switch 2" announced this year?

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
To make a long story short, I am a switch lite owner. At the time of purchased it, the lite was the best way for me to play. I have played a ton of good games on my switch lite but one that kinda bothered me playing it on the small screen. I played through the original BOTW on the lite but at the time was thinking, "damn this would be so much better on a bigger screen" There is so much going on in BOTW I feel smaller screens do not do the game justice.

Tears of the Kindom is coming out but refuse to play on the small screen again. I have a long backlog of games so do not need to buy the game right away. I was considering picking up a switch Oled but would be totally pissed if the switch successor is announced soon after I purchase it. Is there any concrete evidence it is launching soon or is it just internet bullshit?

To make a long story short, I am a switch lite owner. At the time of purchased it, the lite was the best way for me to play. I have played a ton of good games on my switch lite but one that kinda bothered me playing it on the small screen. I played through the original BOTW on the lite but at the time was thinking, "damn this would be so much better on a bigger screen" There is so much going on in BOTW I feel smaller screens do not do the game justice.

Tears of the Kindom is coming out but refuse to play on the small screen again. I have a long backlog of games so do not need to buy the game right away. I was considering picking up a switch Oled but would be totally pissed if the switch successor is announced soon after I purchase it. Is there any concrete evidence it is launching soon or is it just internet bullshit?
There have been many credible rumors that a new system is getting ready for a 2024 launch and that the console is already in mass production most likely for Spring. Whether you want to go with it or not is up to you.

Regardless though, a new Zelda release is usually timed for a new system announcement followed up by a release. It's always been like this. Tears of the Kingdom is most likely a cross gen similar to how Breath of the Wild was for Wii U and Switch when it released.

If I was someone's financial advisor and they asked me if they should make a bet for a new switch/Nintendo console for 2024 I'd say yes.

I believe a new system announcement will happen sometime in the Fall. This is a personal prediction.

Also for more logical and education guesses here is some factual data.

Gamecube Release 2001
WII Release 2006
WII U Release 2012
Nintendo Switcb Release 2017

As you can see there is a 5 to 6 year gap between console releases for Nintendo.

2023 would be exactly 6 years since Switch, but due to covid I believe some things were delayed for a bit. If COVID didn't happen I feel like you'd already be playing the Switch 2 or at least have it released this year. The system is already due for release.

2024 makes perfect sense for a new Nintendo system. It's overdue.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I think, and this is a total guess, it's coming next year. Probably gonna be announced in September. The Switch was revealed in September 2016. I think they need at least six months to get it all together after the announcement, possibly a year.

It should not take too long now, so be patient. I really don't like buying consoles at the tail end, It kills much of the excitement. We are already looking forward to something else.

Patrick S.

Banned
I’ve actually been thinking of maybe selling my V1 Switch and some of my physical Switch games to fund a Steam Deck. I was going to buy No Man’s Sky on the Switch today. Watched a few reviews and found out that the Switch version doesn’t have feature parity with the other versions and has horrible pop in, while the Steam Deck version seems to be awesome. I think I could get €200 for the Switch and the Pro Controller, then I just need to sell 10 games for at least €20 each, which isn’t very much for Switch games, and I can get the Steam Deck. My son has a V1 Switch too, so I don’t even lose access to my remaining physical and my digital games. Hmmmmmmmmmmm… I mean, I could just buy the Steam Deck right now, but I know myself and know that I’ll have a big case of buyer‘s remorse…

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Could be announced late this year. But even then it won’t be out until sometime 2024.

I can’t wait for it though, hopefully we’ll get a new Mario Kart and 3D Mario announced alongside it. And possibly Metroid Prime 4.

Last edited:

blacktout

The new chip is nearly ready for production so it'll come out between holiday 2023 and holiday 2024. I'd give it a 35% chance of this year and 65% chance of next.

This seems about right to me. And if it's not coming out this year, I doubt we get an announcement before January, since Nintendo will still want to move as many OG Switch units as possible over the holidays.

nial

Gold Member
Gamecube Release 2001
WII Release 2006
WII U Release 2012
Nintendo Switcb Release 2017

As you can see there is a 5 to 6 year gap between console releases for Nintendo.

2023 would be exactly 6 years since Switch, but due to covid I believe some things were delayed for a bit. If COVID didn't happen I feel like you'd already be playing the Switch 2 or at least have it released this year. The system is already due for release.

2024 makes perfect sense for a new Nintendo system. It's overdue.
The Famicom lasted over 7 years before the Super Famicom was released, so there isn't really any "pattern". There weren't any COVID issues either, generations are now longer than they were generally before the 2000s, a Switch 2 was never going to come out this year.
Also, the Wii U lasted a bit over 4 years before the Switch came out, not 5 years.

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Gold Member

That September Nintendo "Live" Event or whatever they're calling it, is probably our first look at a Switch 2. Then announce a November release for it with a new Super Mario Game and TLOZ: Tears of the Kingdom Definitive Edition at launch.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Unless It is releasing this year I wouldn't count on an announcement this year. Nintendo doesn't want to break the money printer.

ReBurn

Gold Member
The Switch has entered its decline phase and it's only going to get worse. They haven't announced any big game after TotK which tells me they're preparing for a transition. Announcement late this year for a release in 2024 seems likely.
If it's releasing next year there's no way they're going to kill holiday sales potential by announcing it this year.

Zannegan

If anyone would surprise announce/release a system in the back half of the year, it would be Nintendo. Even so, I wouldn't hold my breath.

They'll probably give the Switch one more holiday as their "flagship" hardware. After that, I wouldn't be shocked to see them announce an official price cut and tease their next hardware in a January Direct.

StereoVsn

It's 50-50. They will either announce it this year or they won't announce it this year. Hell, even Nintendo may not know, lol. Personally I think we'll have announcement by year's end and release in 1H 2024, but that's just my crystal ball, lol.

Raploz

We had rumors of the next console being in development for a long time, and we even had a chip candidate (Tegra T239), but there's nothing concrete. Considering the Switch will be 7 years old in March 2024, I'm pretty sure we will get a successor soon. My bet is that they will announce it in September and they will release it in the first half of 2024.

Zelda is getting released next month. There's plenty of time to buy a Switch, play the game, and then flip it before the next console gets announced and it loses re-sell value. That or you could also borrow a normal Switch from a friend.

We might get a new model this year. I don't mean a Switch 2 but a new Switch (1) revision. There were some rumours saying this. I don't think it's needed but maybe Nintendo want to release a model that doesn't cost as much to make. I think they should just stop making the standard model and give the OLED a price drop.

Not sure if we will get an announcement this year for a Switch 2. Maybe once Zelda is out we might hear something. We know they are working on a new console but we don't really have any idea when it's coming. It could be this year, 2024, or 2025!

If I were to bet then my money would be on 2024. I can't see it happening this year....it could but I don't think so. On the other hand they really can't wait until 2025 lol. Zelda looks like it'll be the last big title that isn't Pokémon. Are we really going to go 1-2 years with only Pokémon games and no new console?

Sybrix

Is this like a weekly thing now?

Every week there's a 'Where's Switch 2?!' thread.

You know the best place to find out if there's a Switch 2..............

Sell your Lite, buy the Zelda OLED. If you look at the value of every Zelda edition console, they are at a premium.

Enjoy the OLED now, and when Switch 2 is announced (I think it’ll be announced sometime this year with a release November 2023-March 2024) either keep it as a collectors item or sell it with little to no loss in value.

BlackTron

I'm not sure when it will be announced, but I'm sure it will be released holiday next year at the very latest. It's feasible it could launch early in the year like the Switch did.

Just get a second-hand used normal Switch for about $200 until it comes out and then trade up.

Deerock71

Tears of the Kingdom and a permanent price drop around the holidays will ensure a very merry Christmas at Nintendo.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Maybe by the end of the year we see something. Not a launch. Something

Nintendo's fiscal year ended in march and there was no information about next hardware... Mostly because Switch still is selling well, but you know, it's about time

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I’m not even certain Nintendo is working on a ”Switch 2” but it seems you have some info that the test of us do not. Can you share?🤣

Top Bottom