• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Odds of the "Switch 2" announced this year?

Nintendo is not gonna tank their holiday Switch 1 sales with a premature announcement.

You'll only hear about it in 2024, about 3 months before release.
I mean... switch was announced in September/October of 2016 before the release in March 2017. What you talking about wilis? Does that mean they tanked the sales of Wii U at the holiday season?

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
I mean... switch was announced in September/October of 2016 before the release in March 2017. What you talking about wilis? Does that mean they tanked the sales of Wii U at the holiday season?

To be fair, Wii U tanked in 2013. But I know what you mean.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

4Pq8GDp.gif

Woopah

This seems about right to me. And if it's not coming out this year, I doubt we get an announcement before January, since Nintendo will still want to move as many OG Switch units as possible over the holidays.
Nintendo will talk about the new fiscal year at their meeting next month. We might get a glimpse of information then.
That September Nintendo "Live" Event or whatever they're calling it, is probably our first look at a Switch 2. Then announce a November release for it with a new Super Mario Game and TLOZ: Tears of the Kingdom Definitive Edition at launch.
Nintendo will have a show in September, sooo.....
Nintendo Live is just a community event. Any hardware announcement will come in its own Direct or Showcase.
We might get a new model this year. I don't mean a Switch 2 but a new Switch (1) revision. There were some rumours saying this. I don't think it's needed but maybe Nintendo want to release a model that doesn't cost as much to make. I think they should just stop making the standard model and give the OLED a price drop.

Not sure if we will get an announcement this year for a Switch 2. Maybe once Zelda is out we might hear something. We know they are working on a new console but we don't really have any idea when it's coming. It could be this year, 2024, or 2025!

If I were to bet then my money would be on 2024. I can't see it happening this year....it could but I don't think so. On the other hand they really can't wait until 2025 lol. Zelda looks like it'll be the last big title that isn't Pokémon. Are we really going to go 1-2 years with only Pokémon games and no new console?
I do reckon they'll replace the standard model with OLED once the successor comes out. However, Nintendo told investors last year that the OLED model was the one with the lowest profit margin.
I’m not even certain Nintendo is working on a ”Switch 2” but it seems you have some info that the test of us do not. Can you share?🤣
We know from the Nvidia leaks that they are working on a new SoC for Nintendo.

gundalf

I’ve actually been thinking of maybe selling my V1 Switch and some of my physical Switch games to fund a Steam Deck. I was going to buy No Man’s Sky on the Switch today. Watched a few reviews and found out that the Switch version doesn’t have feature parity with the other versions and has horrible pop in, while the Steam Deck version seems to be awesome. I think I could get €200 for the Switch and the Pro Controller, then I just need to sell 10 games for at least €20 each, which isn’t very much for Switch games, and I can get the Steam Deck. My son has a V1 Switch too, so I don’t even lose access to my remaining physical and my digital games. Hmmmmmmmmmmm… I mean, I could just buy the Steam Deck right now, but I know myself and know that I’ll have a big case of buyer‘s remorse…

If you can, try to get your hands first on a Steam Deck. It's much more bulkier than it already looks like and I had to sell mine because I got hand ache after 10 minutes if play.
Otherwise I think you got a solid plan on how to finance the Steam Deck.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
We might get a new model this year. I don't mean a Switch 2 but a new Switch (1) revision. There were some rumours saying this. I don't think it's needed but maybe Nintendo want to release a model that doesn't cost as much to make. I think they should just stop making the standard model and give the OLED a price drop.

Not sure if we will get an announcement this year for a Switch 2. Maybe once Zelda is out we might hear something. We know they are working on a new console but we don't really have any idea when it's coming. It could be this year, 2024, or 2025!

If I were to bet then my money would be on 2024. I can't see it happening this year....it could but I don't think so. On the other hand they really can't wait until 2025 lol. Zelda looks like it'll be the last big title that isn't Pokémon. Are we really going to go 1-2 years with only Pokémon games and no new console?
I think they might avoid price drops because of inflation. The time when consoles had price drops every two years is gone.

Filben

My guess is the successsor is coming next year but I won't be waiting that long to play TotK.

Pre-ordered the Zelda Switch OLED version so I can play TotK. In case a Switch successor comes out I guess I can sell the "old" Switch for a good price and get said successor. Therefore I don't mind a sooner or later release either way.

My guess is the successsor is coming next year but I won't be waiting that long to play TotK.

Pre-ordered the Zelda Switch OLED version so I can play TotK. In case a Switch successor comes out I guess I can sell the "old" Switch for a good price and get said successor. Therefore I don't mind a sooner or later release either way.
I didn't get the Zelda OLED but I bought another OLED when my old one crapped out because I ain't waiting a day longer than I have to for TOTK.

If a new console is announced this year and launches early 2024 then fine. I'll buy it and sell my OLED as long as the new console has support for Switch games. If it doesn't have backwards compatability then I'll ditch my Switch whenever they bring BOTW and TOTK over to it. If it's another £140 (£70/game) then I'll happily pay again. If those games don't come to it then I'll hold onto my Switch for as long as possible.

gothmog

Gold Member
I don't think Nintendo is going to announce anything until they can hit the right price points. I imagine that's difficult in the current economy.

DKPOWPOW

It will not launch until Metroid Prime 4 is ready, and Mario Kart 9 is launch window ready. My bet anyways.

Yeah DLC/Upgrade patches will be nice for games like Tears of the Kingdom, but they want to replicate the success of Switch. It requires a 1-2 punch akin to Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart Deluxe. They also need a casual game, even though 1-2 Switch was forgettable at best.

Casual game + Mario Kart 9 + Prime 4 + Complete Editions for Pokemon, Smash Ultimate, and Tears of the Kingdom would be a solid start.

I imagine they would want a strong platform game like Mario or Donkey Kong to follow soon after as well. They probably want some 3rd party games as well.

The rumored Resident Evil Outbreak would be a strong addition.

A lineup like this makes me think early 2025. But who knows, I don't see them cannibalizing this years holiday sales with a new system.

I could see next year as just mostly filler. GameCube/ Wii U remasters/ports coupled with a price drop and a mini revision to to keep sales from dropping off a cliff.

Make as much money as you can, then move on seems like Nintendo's motive. They invested a lot in expanding development teams (almost a billion I think).

It takes time to get all the pieces to fit, they don't want to rush the process and fall on their face like Microsoft.

They don't have anything else to fall back on, they can't afford to. They are all in on Switch 2.

Woopah

Yes but they could always make an announcement before that event.
They could, but they have had Nintendo Live events in Japan for a while now and they haven't been linked to major announcements.
It will not launch until Metroid Prime 4 is ready, and Mario Kart 9 is launch window ready. My bet anyways.

Yeah DLC/Upgrade patches will be nice for games like Tears of the Kingdom, but they want to replicate the success of Switch. It requires a 1-2 punch akin to Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart Deluxe. They also need a casual game, even though 1-2 Switch was forgettable at best.

Casual game + Mario Kart 9 + Prime 4 + Complete Editions for Pokemon, Smash Ultimate, and Tears of the Kingdom would be a solid start.

I imagine they would want a strong platform game like Mario or Donkey Kong to follow soon after as well. They probably want some 3rd party games as well.

The rumored Resident Evil Outbreak would be a strong addition.

A lineup like this makes me think early 2025. But who knows, I don't see them cannibalizing this years holiday sales with a new system.

I could see next year as just mostly filler. GameCube/ Wii U remasters/ports coupled with a price drop and a mini revision to to keep sales from dropping off a cliff.

Make as much money as you can, then move on seems like Nintendo's motive. They invested a lot in expanding development teams (almost a billion I think).

It takes time to get all the pieces to fit, they don't want to rush the process and fall on their face like Microsoft.

They don't have anything else to fall back on, they can't afford to. They are all in on Switch 2.
Fully agreed, they will want a very strong launch lineup for Switch 2 like they had with Switch 1 (but with wayyyyyyy stronger third party support).

With all their teams focused on one platform, I expect them to keep up a fairly constant stream of releases without relying on remasters too much.

DKPOWPOW

They could, but they have had Nintendo Live events in Japan for a while now and they haven't been linked to major announcements.

Fully agreed, they will want a very strong launch lineup for Switch 2 like they had with Switch 1 (but with wayyyyyyy stronger third party support).

With all their teams focused on one platform, I expect them to keep up a fairly constant stream of releases without relying on remasters too much.
We would hope so. There are many possible reasons as to why they are dragging their feet on releasing a new console.

Besides political and economic factors, I think what their President said is true. They want the Switch to last 10 years. I think they want it to be highest selling console of all time, and to crank out another 30 or 40 million sales of an aging console takes a real roadmap. But it gives them time to nail the successor just right.

Because this will (hopefully) be the biggest jump in specs for a Nintendo console since the GameCube. They cannot lag 2 generations behind for much longer. It holds their teams back from being what they are best at, creativity. It also means this is a transition period for them, and we all know how Wii U went. A big part of that investment would likely be to make sure this transition period goes smoother, so they have what they need to pump out games on a pretty consistent basis like they did with the Switch.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
More chance of me getting a tuggie from Joe Biden than the Switch 2 being announced this year.

I reckon I'll be announced in March.

More likely announced in mid/late 2024 and launched march 2025.

Not seeing them announcing a successor in the months following Totk's launch in may.

Woopah

We would hope so. There are many possible reasons as to why they are dragging their feet on releasing a new console.

Besides political and economic factors, I think what their President said is true. They want the Switch to last 10 years. I think they want it to be highest selling console of all time, and to crank out another 30 or 40 million sales of an aging console takes a real roadmap. But it gives them time to nail the successor just right.

Because this will (hopefully) be the biggest jump in specs for a Nintendo console since the GameCube. They cannot lag 2 generations behind for much longer. It holds their teams back from being what they are best at, creativity. It also means this is a transition period for them, and we all know how Wii U went. A big part of that investment would likely be to make sure this transition period goes smoother, so they have what they need to pump out games on a pretty consistent basis like they did with the Switch.
Its definitely going to be a big jump, so they'll want to ensure that they can release Switch 2 had a good price.

It won't release 10 years after Switxh, but it will last 10 years due to cross gen releases.

I think they might avoid price drops because of inflation. The time when consoles had price drops every two years is gone.

I'd say it's because of chips. Moore's law typically saw to it that prices remained (mostly) stable, with only a handful of outside factors causing bumps if not spikes.

PS1 at $300: First CD-ROM console at mass market price.
PS3 at $500-600: HDD with each console, Blu-ray when it was brand spanking new, and crazy ass architecture.
PS4: Normalized back to $400 but more than PS2 days partly because of HDD.
PS5: Up to $500 due to SSD and chip shortages.

Yoda

For those of you saying it'll be released next year, any guesses to the specs of it's GPU/CPU or APU it'll be sporting?

Last edited:

Xellos

I always figured Switch 2 would launch with Zelda, but since that isn't happening it's probably launching in 2024. Would love to see it sooner though.

For those of you saying it'll be released next year, any guesses to the specs of it's GPU/CPU or APU it'll be sporting?

Supposedly 8 core Arm A78 CPU and 1536 shader GPU based on Nvidia Ampere. There are leaks for an unannounced Nvidia chip (t239) with these specs.

I think it will be revealed Late 2023 and released sometime in 2024 going by the standard 7 year cycles of successful modern consoles.

L*][*N*K

Banned
I really hope if they are going to announce a console it is as power as an Xbox One X at the very least, and comes with a full Switch 1 backwards compatibility, also it is called Switch II and not some idiotic name that confuses everyone else.

NahaNago

Not happening. Maybe early next year will they announce the next switch. I doubt they would want to slow down even further the switch sales for this winter holiday.

Top Bottom