• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I take the vaccine now?

Take vaccine now?

• Yes, take Pfizer

Votes: 62 39.2%
  • Yes, take Moderna

Votes: 25 15.8%
  • No, wait and see

Votes: 59 37.3%
  • No, never

Votes: 12 7.6%

• Total voters

Malakhov

Banned
For what? For someone you care for to get sick? What the fuck.

Just read an article on this. Lots of people are surprised, they assumed people in healthcare were more likely to be science educated. But like 40% are refusing it.
I worked with pharmaceuticals for the last 20 years, I am 'science educated' hence why I'll never take any drugs or vaccines without long research records.

I'm not on my death bed and a newly released drug that was created/approved in less than a year is my only option out.

If you feel superior and more 'educated' because of it and it helps you sleep better at night then go for it

Last edited:

Lister

Banned
So if the vaccine doesn't stop infection, it only reduces symptoms and I'm young and healthy and confident my immune system can fight it off, why do I need to get it?

Because

1. Even if your young and healthy you can die. Its not just the old or unhealthy that die. They are the most vulnerable group but they aren't the only ones doing the dying.

2. Even if you don't die there are incidences of morbidity around the disease. Its not just that you either die or your 100%. People are surviving but with damage to their lungs and heart, almost certainly meaning a shorter lifespan and possible complications as you age.

3. By vaccinating you are helping protect the most vulnerable in our population. Herd immunity os necessary in order to beat this virus.

Last edited:

Lister

Banned
I worked with pharmaceuticals for the last 20 years, I am 'science educated' hence why I'll never take any drugs or vaccines without long research records.

I'm not on my death bed and a newly released drug that was created/approved in less than a year is my only option out.

If you feel superior and more 'educated' because of it and it helps you sleep better at night then go for it

What do you do in pharmaceuticals? Sales?

For fucks sake this is a vaccine. Vaccines have been around for a long time. This isn't some experimental drug cocktail. These vaccines operate in a similar way to vaccines for other diseases. And the current safety screening covering tens of thousands of doses means its extremely safe.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
What do you do, load in pharmaceuticals? Sales?

For fucks sake this is a vaccine. Vaccines have been around for a long time. This isn't some experimental drug cocktail. These vaccines operate in a similar way to vaccines for other diseases. And the current safety screening covering tens of thousands of doses means its extremely safe.
Pharmacy, hospital.

Vaccines could have long term effects, although very rarely happens. I am not an antivax, I have all my vaccines and my kids as well. For me there is no reason to get it anytime soon, I'm not in any of the endangered age groups, I am alone with my kids at home, were still in a lockdown here.

Plus, we don't have enough to vaccinate everyone, we get very limited doses, so hey, it will help older people and healthcare workers that come into contact with the elderly get it before me, whom work alone in i.v sterile chambers.

Last edited:

Lister

Banned
Pharmacy, hospital.

Vaccines could have long term effects, although very rarely happens. I am not an antivax, I have all my vaccines and my kids as well. For me there is no reason to get it anytime soon, I'm not in any of the endangered age groups, I am alone with my kids at home, were still in a lockdown here.

Plus, we don't have enough to vaccinate everyone, we get very limited doses, so hey, it will help older people and healthcare workers that come into contact with the elderly get it before me, whom work alone in i.v sterile chambers.

Ok why didn't you explain This before. If you figure you aren't indangering patients and are trying to let people who might need it more than you have access to the limited supply, man, that sounds like a fine decision.

I wouldn't have attacked you as an anti vaccer type.

Just tired of hearing idiots saying no for stupid reasons. Ha e a relati e that doesn't even want to be tested because he thinks this is some sort of world wide conspiracy. The fucking lunacy.

Malakhov

Banned
Ok why didn't you explain This before. If you figure you aren't indangering patients and are trying to let people who might need it more than you have access to the limited supply, man, that sounds like a fine decision.

I wouldn't have attacked you as an anti vaccer type.

Just tired of hearing idiots saying no for stupid reasons. Ha e a relati e that doesn't even want to be tested because he thinks this is some sort of world wide conspiracy. The fucking lunacy.
I know, it's pretty sad. I have prepared medications for covid patients since March and I can say it's very real especially for old people (60+). We were one of the hospitals who was hit the worst with covid, when I was coming in to work I could see people dressed up as if they were about to go take nuclear readings bring out corpses through the hospitals garage, very unreal scenes.

Although I want to assure people that if you are under 50 and in good health, while still taking this seriously, all of our patients got out alive so please don't panic either.

No problem, I didn't feel attacked at all mate

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Repercussions is in future tense.
Oh I know I'm just saying

They have now. :)
giphy.gif

Outrunner

Surely as a healthcare worker it is easy for you to ask that question to people who are educated on the subject, their advice will be worth something unlike the advice of a bunch of idiots on Gaf.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Yes. Just stick it in your fucking arm. It’s fine. Multiple nations have approved it for use.

Ignore the parade of endless paranoid idiots, and do the thing that can help get this pandemic under control. You’re lucky to have the option now.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Yes. Just stick it in your fucking arm. It’s fine. Multiple nations have approved it for use.

Ignore the parade of endless paranoid idiots, and do the thing that can help get this pandemic under control. You’re lucky to have the option now.
Aye, the science behind RNA vaccines is pretty solid. Most people have nothing to worry about.

That said, I'll let the rest of you fools be the guinea pigs for these five-month developed vaccines.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Aye, the science behind RNA vaccines is pretty solid. Most people have nothing to worry about.

That said, I'll let the rest of you fools be the guinea pigs for these five-month developed vaccines.

It’s more than fair to say that AstraZeneca is potentially the most reliable vaccine, because it’s a bog standard spike protein innoculation, rather than the more experimental mRNA vaccines like Pfizer.

However, I’ll happily take either. I trust the independent Mhra to have made the right decision.

Having said that, I’m almost guaranteed to end up getting AstraZeneca, so a moot point.

Last edited:

DogofWar

I would not take it now if I were you. New and hastily produced vaccines is never a good idea. Too many reports even in MSM here about how it can have severe side effects.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I would not take it now if I were you. New and hastily produced vaccines is never a good idea. Too many reports even in MSM here about how it can have severe side effects.
Consuming cashews can have severe side effects.

Meicyn

Gold Member
As can taking Advil, or aspirin, or aspartamine, or alcohol, or any number of other drugs beginning with a (and many other letters).
Seriously. Honestly makes me laugh how folks can turn on their faucets and trust the water coming out of it every single day without ever having read a single report on what’s in it, or guzzle down all these unregulated dietary supplements sold in stores ranging from preworkout to herbal products. But a vaccine? Better be skeptical!

I’m scheduled to get the Moderna covid vaccine on Monday. Can’t be as bad as the smallpox or anthrax shots I’ve had in the past. Man those sucked.

DogofWar

Seriously. Honestly makes me laugh how folks can turn on their faucets and trust the water coming out of it every single day without ever having read a single report on what’s in it, or guzzle down all these unregulated dietary supplements sold in stores ranging from preworkout to herbal products. But a vaccine? Better be skeptical!

I’m scheduled to get the Moderna covid vaccine on Monday. Can’t be as bad as the smallpox or anthrax shots I’ve had in the past. Man those sucked.

Lol, last time we vaccinated in hysteria in Sweden there were plenty of young people who got narcolepsy and their lives were ruined. Being cautious on new things like this is common sense, not on the same level as thinking bananas can kill you because the water they were watered with turned the local fish gay.

But go ahead, I wish you luck and that the vaccine has no severe side effects and work for you. And I really mean that.

Drake

Because

1. Even if your young and healthy you can die. Its not just the old or unhealthy that die. They are the most vulnerable group but they aren't the only ones doing the dying.

2. Even if you don't die there are incidences of morbidity around the disease. Its not just that you either die or your 100%. People are surviving but with damage to their lungs and heart, almost certainly meaning a shorter lifespan and possible complications as you age.

3. By vaccinating you are helping protect the most vulnerable in our population. Herd immunity os necessary in order to beat this virus.

I'd rather take the risk with 1 and 2 then take a rushed vaccine that we don't know the long term side effects of. 3 is moot because once again, the vaccine doesn't prevent infection. Sure give it to the most vulnerable, but I have a feeling the entire population will be compelled/forced to take this. So I'll ask again if the vaccine doesn't prevent infection (only reduces symptoms) and I'm willing to take the risks that Covid presents why am I gonna be forced to take this.

eot

Banned
Actually they work in ways we've never successfully made vaccines before. Also, every vaccine is different and there have been plenty of examples of vaccines that were not safe. Personally, I wouldn't take the smallpox vaccine for example:
Most people experience normal, usually mild reactions that include a sore arm, fever, and body aches. In recent tests, one in three people felt bad enough to miss work, school, or recreational activity or had trouble sleeping after receiving the vaccine. However, the vaccine does have some risks. In the past, about 1,000 people for every 1 million people vaccinated for the first time experienced reactions that, while not life-threatening, were serious. These reactions include a vigorous (toxic or allergic) reaction at the site of the vaccination and spread of the vaccinia virus (the live virus in the smallpox vaccine) to other parts of the body and to other people. These reactions typically do not require medical attention. Rarely, people have had very bad reactions to the vaccine. In the past, between 14 and 52 people per 1 million vaccinated experienced potentially life-threatening reactions, including eczema vaccinatum, progressive vaccinia (or vaccinia necrosum), or postvaccinal encephalitis. Based on past experience, it is estimated that between 1 and 2 people out of every 1 million people vaccinated may die as a result of life-threatening reactions to the vaccine.
Some vaccines have been proven to be safe, the COVID-19 ones may very well prove to be safe as well, but we can't say for sure because we simply haven't studied them enough.

It’s more than fair to say that AstraZeneca is potentially the most reliable vaccine, because it’s a bog standard spike protein innoculation, rather than the more experimental mRNA vaccines like Pfizer.

However, I’ll happily take either. I trust the independent Mhra to have made the right decision.

Having said that, I’m almost guaranteed to end up getting AstraZeneca, so a moot point.
AstraZeneca’s vaccine uses an adenovirus, it’s certainly not a standard vaccine.

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned
For what? For someone you care for to get sick? What the fuck.

Just read an article on this. Lots of people are surprised, they assumed people in healthcare were more likely to be science educated. But like 40% are refusing it.

Can you tell me the long term consequences?

Can you tell me if the vaccine may affect your ability to get kids in the future?

Can you tell me if the vaccine may not turn out to be another huge healthcare scandal for future born babies?

If you can answer me those questions, i may be more secure to take the vaccine.

Last edited:

Lister

Banned
Actually they work in ways we've never successfully made vaccines before. Also, every vaccine is different and there have been plenty of examples of vaccines that were not safe. Personally, I wouldn't take the smallpox vaccine for example:

Some vaccines have been proven to be safe, the COVID-19 ones may very well prove to be safe as well, but we can't say for sure because we simply haven't studied them enough.

AstraZeneca’s vaccine uses an adenovirus, it’s certainly not a standard vaccine.

Lol 14 to 52 people per million experience serious but non life threatening side effects, vs contracting smallpox in what is likely not a very developed area of the world considering you need to worry about small pox. Yeah I would take vaccine.

That vaccine saved millions of lives as smallpox had a 35% mortality rate in some outbreaks. And having everyone take it is what allowed us to more or less relegate that disease to the past.

Only one of the vaccines works in an experimental way, but the science behind it is very solid. Its well understood. Its not going to give you a third testicle.

Last edited:

Lister

Banned
Can you tell me the long term consequences?

Can you tell me if the vaccine may affect your ability to get kids in the future?

Can you tell me if the vaccine may not turn out to be another huge healthcare scandal for future born babies?

If you can answer me those questions, i may be more secure to take the vaccine.

These are questions that could be answered with a visit to the CDC or your local health care org website for fuck's sake.

The science behind how these vaccines work is well understood. We know exactly what it does in our bodies and how it works with our immune system.

There are no long term effects. It will not affect your ability to have kids. About the only thing we don't know for sure is what the possibility for very, very rare allergic reactions could be, as we haven't delivered the vaccine to the hundreds of thousands it would take to understand these veyr rare reactions. The vaccine has been tested in tens of thousands not hundreds of thousands yet.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
Lol, last time we vaccinated in hysteria in Sweden there were plenty of young people who got narcolepsy and their lives were ruined. Being cautious on new things like this is common sense, not on the same level as thinking bananas can kill you because the water they were watered with turned the local fish gay.

But go ahead, I wish you luck and that the vaccine has no severe side effects and work for you. And I really mean that.
Decided to take a look, 702 individuals claimed narcolepsy from the swine flu vaccine. Not to minimize the suffering of those directly impacted, but in terms of population, I was expecting a lot more by the tone of your post?

Since it’s on the verge of becoming endemic, not getting the vaccine means you will contract COVID. It’s not a matter of if, but when. One of the severe side effects from getting it is death. 8000+ Swedes are dead from it so far with around a 1 to 2% death rate. Lower for younger folks obviously, but statistically speaking in a country with 10 million people, a lot more than 702 youths will die once it finishes rolling through the population. I dunno, I feel like that should be a factor in the decision making. Caution and common sense, indeed.

Blond

Banned
Husband got it yesterday and he felt super tired all day, he seems fine now though but it turned me off wanting to get it.

I can wait, this isn’t imperative to beta test a vaccine and yes I know about advances in medical science that made it possible to get it out this fast but I’m NOT going to be in the first run of people to try this out.

Lister

Banned
I'd rather take the risk with 1 and 2 then take a rushed vaccine that we don't know the long term side effects of.

Well then you're stupid, for a number of reasons.

These vaccines have not been rushed. They are the product of modern medicine. We are not in the polio infested 1940's anymore. We've progressed and these vaccines are the result of well understood science, a lot of very smart scientists, and the resources of very large governments being put together. We simply no longer need years and years for developing and testing vaccines like we used to. And that's good, or we'd be fucked.

The chances of you having a non life threatening but possibly serious reaction to the vaccines is orders of magnitude smaller than your chances of dying from Corona or suffering lung and heart damage from it if you contract it. As well as the chances of spreading it. This is because while it won't prevent infection, but it's very likely to significantly reduce the amount of viruses you shed and the length of time for which you shed them, so that if you do contract the virus there is a much, much smaller chance and window of opportunity of you spreading it to others.

If enough people get the shot, herd immunity kicks in. Reducing the chances of another outbreak which will save literally hundreds of thousands of lives.

Last edited:

Lister

Banned

Posted this in the other thread:

The Chinese "beat the virus" because they tackled the virus in a way us stupid American's refuse to do. After SARS they took this shit seriously. There was significant infrastructure and plans in place to handle this type of viral outbreak, unlike what we had with Trump, which was incompetence, down playing and buying into dumb conspiracy theories.

They started testing super early, doing contact tracing, forcing quarantines and doing complete, temporary lockdowns to prevent hospitals form being overwhelmed when outbreaks were apparent. The people also wore their fucking masks, social distanced, and followed the rules.

Over here we got knuckle dragging imbeciles walking into stores by the hundreds without masks because MAH FREEDOM!!!

GeorgPrime

Banned
These are questions that could be answered with a visit to the CDC or your local health care org website for fuck's sake.

The science behind how these vaccines work is well understood. We know exactly what it does in our bodies and how it works with our immune system.

There are no long term effects. It will not affect your ability to have kids. About the only thing we don't know for sure is what the possibility for very, very rare allergic reactions could be, as we haven't delivered the vaccine to the hundreds of thousands it would take to understand these veyr rare reactions. The vaccine has been tested in tens of thousands not hundreds of thousands yet.

Jeah when i read about the side effects of the vaccine they say it may affect pregnancy or birth outcomes.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Well I am taking it at the end of the week. Pfizer. Because the statistics of people being dead from Covid who happens to have liver transplant is 50% and well, I am not hero with this.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Well I am taking it at the end of the week. Pfizer. Because the statistics of people being dead from Covid who happens to have liver transplant is 50% and well, I am not hero with this.
Best of luck to you. FYI: The vaccine doesn't reach peak effectiveness until several weeks after the 2nd shot. Continue precautions.

Susurrus

Hell ya take it. The people saying there's not enough evidence yet of it preventing spread, which also means we don't know that it doesn't. Protect yourself, your family, those you're around. Once enough of us take it, cases will drop, hospitals will stop being full, people will stop dying, and we can open shit back up and start getting back to normal. Do your part. I'm 36 and well aware and am understanding I'm not in a priority group and have no intent to cut in line (or have the means tbh), but as soon as it is to the point where it is offered to me, hell ya I'll take it ASAP.

Dacon

Banned
I remember reading articles about concerns about the vaccine's effectiveness and the necessity of continuing lockdown procedures well into 2021, does anyone else remember such?

If so please link so I can read them again.

I remember reading articles about concerns about the vaccine's effectiveness and the necessity of continuing lockdown procedures well into 2021, does anyone else remember such?

If so please link so I can read them again.

Top Bottom