• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I upgrade my computer?

Estellex

I built my current PC in 2014, so it is around six years old. It has a AMD FX 6300 cpu and a 1060 3GB GPU. I really only play games like League of Legends, World of Warcraft, and FF XIV. I don't really play triple A titles all that much. I am still on the fence, trying to decide whether it is worth it for me to upgrade in the midst of a pandemic.

If I do upgrade, I am looking to getting:

AMD RYZEN 3600
Another 8 GB stick of ram (I am running on 2 4GB stick)
Stick with the GTX 1060 3GB GPU

Last edited:
Why would you want to upgrade? Are you having issues with its current performance? What are you trying to achieve, and how is that new processor going to help with that?

Mistake

Seems a bit over the top to me. Just max out the ram since it’s cheap and throw in an SSD if you don’t have one already. That alone will give it a lot of life

Pagusas

Elden Member
Nope, worst time to do it. Wait for the consoles to launch and buy the next generation of parts post launch. You’ll be set for another 5 years.

If this was one of those buy or not sites like you see for Apple products, the needle would be ALL THE WAY to “DO NOT BUY”

Last edited:

Estellex

Why would you want to upgrade? Are you having issues with its current performance? What are you trying to achieve, and how is that new processor going to help with that?

My processor is really weak, so I thought the AMD RYZEN 3600 would be a major upgrade for more CPU demanding games like WOW and FFXIV.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'd recommend:

3600 - decent cpu
16GB RAM - don't just buy another 8GB stick. you can't run 2x4GB + 1x8GB lol. buy 2x8GB sticks.
1650 Super or 1660 - the 1650 Super will give a good boost over the 1060. the 1650 Super only has 4GB VRAM which i guess is acceptable but you really should go with the 1660 with 6GB.

Melon Husk

Wait a handful of months and buy a second hand 3600 since you don't need it right now. You might get a bargain b450 motherboard on top.

Top Bottom