• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should MMA be outlawed in the US?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't argue with statistics, but how exactly is(are?) MMA much safer than, say, football? Especially without headgear.

Quick, competent, and hand-on referees?

Trigger

Seriously, MMA is a bloodsport. One step away from ancient Roman gladiatorial combat. Do we want America to be the kind of society that encourages this kind of psychotic violence and that encourages people to gather around and bloodthirstily and mouthwateringly cheer and egg on and get off to this kind of psychotic violence? Is this what civilized societies do? Does a civilized society put two people in a pit and have them kick the fuck out of each other for our entertainment? Really? I know people get hurt in boxing and football, but something is different with MMA. Some line has been crossed. We shouldn't allow the kind of stuff to be happening. What's next, allowing the running man or hunger games style "sports"?

Do you feel this way about boxing or any other sport?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Where else can I see spaghetti legs?

dodsonko27hmu7.gif

Centurion

Banned
"Safer"? lol. The amount of brain damage those guys must have. I don't think it should be outlawed. But I do think you have to be stupid to fight in it. Hell, even amateur boxing with head gear causes brain damage. I don't know about you, but I prefer keeping my brain cells.

hey genius, guess which sport doesn't let you fight for 3 to 6 months after being knocked out once in a fight...... Yeah, UFC.

And guess which sports have people getting knocked out/down, only to continue playing/fighting? I'll let you guess.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
The difference is when you watch a football game kids don't go, "oh I'll put some pads on and tackle the shit out of somebody I don't like." Whereas, people who watch MMA almost always think they are tough shit and that it's alright to fight people. As a sport MMA is fine. My only problem is that it's way too easy for the sport to cross into real world life, which I have a problem with.

lol

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Where else can I see spaghetti legs?

dodsonko27hmu7.gif

This while this song is playing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB1Q-PfUvN0

The difference is when you watch a football game kids don't go, "oh I'll put some pads on and tackle the shit out of somebody I don't like." Whereas, people who watch MMA almost always think they are tough shit and that it's alright to fight people. As a sport MMA is fine. My only problem is that it's way too easy for the sport to cross into real world life, which I have a problem with.

Someone asked me the other week if watching UFC and the like would help you to fight, I laughed at him.

All these gifs are proving my point.

I specifically remember you making another dumb generalization, along the lines of all mma fans are douchebags.

did you get your ass kicked one too many times growing up?

I've never said mma fans are douchebags. In fact, I've never said anything about mma or it's fans ever before. You have me confused with someone else.

jaxword

Please, as the population density gets even thicker and people start hating each other even more, we'll eventually see REAL bloodsports return where the threat of death is what people want.

MMA will be forgotten and considered "weak" by then.

All these gifs are proving my point.

I've never said mma fans are douchebags. In fact, I've never said anything about mma or it's fans ever before. You have me confused with someone else.

Your point that what? They got knocked out and the fight is immediately stopped and they're attended to and not allowed to fight for an extended period of time until cleared by a doctor?

It's a horrible over-exaggeration, but 100% of the people I know who are rabid MMA fans are like that (and usually get their asses beat when they think they can go Brazilian Jiu-jitsu over some guy at a bar).

I'm the most pacifist non-confrontational person in the world and MMA is my sport of choice.

I'd even call myself a pussy.

The fact that people die in motor sports isn't the point though. The purpose of motorsport isn't to watch people get the fuck kicked out of them. It's to watch people race.

Uh, I have been to one of these events, and I assure you the point is not to watch them go around and around. People go to watch the crashes.

I'm the most pacifist non-confrontational person in the world and MMA is my sport of choice.

I'd even call myself a pussy.

I'm sure there are a ton of people like you as well, I just haven't run into any personally.

For me, my distate comes not from the relative safety of the sport compared to other physical sports, but rather that the purpose of the sport is to injure and incapacitate your opponent instead of that being a by-product of the sport.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Well its one of the must pure sports out there. Two guys fighting each other for pure agonal competition. GREEK STYLE

The fact that people die in motor sports isn't the point though. The purpose of motorsport isn't to watch people get the fuck kicked out of them. It's to watch people race.

People generally watch motorsports to watch the skill involved with the drivers.

I watch MMA to watch the skill and technique of the fighters. Watching someone get their ass kicked doesn't apply at the highest level of the sport, they are both high level and generally "ass-kickings" don't happen.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

The point of MMA is for the purist form of physical competition between two individuals. Its not a bar fight.

Its admirable, its dignified, its inspirational.
I've never trained in MMA nor have a desire to fight anyone..but I have nothing but respect for the Fighters.

Alphahawk

No, the people doing MMA know exactly what they're getting themselves into. You compare it to gladiatorial sports of the old, but that is not the same. Those people were forced to fight for others amusement. UFC participants do it willingly.

Do you think mma is worse than boxing because they can kick too? Because you keep saying kick. Or because it's in a cage instead of a ring? So it seems more raw or something?

Boxing is more damaging because of the length and continuous beating and if your issue is with the kicking portion then are we going to go after all combat sports where it's also a weapon (K1, muy thai events, etc.). Unless the issue that this particular sport is popular in the US and we're above all these other countries that allow it and other combat sports that aren't boxing.

The fact that this has been touted as a "pure" sport by a number of people implies to me that it is an advertised and learned descriptor that fans parrot to justify their tastes.

What the hell is a "pure" sport anyway? Are their impure sports? It's a load of bullshit.

Fusebox

Banned
The fact that this has been touted as a "pure" sport by a number of people implies to me that it is an advertised and learned descriptor that fans parrot to justify their tastes.

What the hell is a "pure" sport anyway? Are their impure sports? It's a load of bullshit.

Did someone wearing a Tapout shirt run over your cat or something? Because your posts in this thread really suck.

Zeliard

You seem to have quite the axe to grind.

Ominym

Banned

When people say "pure" I believe they mean it in the sense that there aren't many rules that will determine a victor. Most fights are one by the toughest motherfucker in the ring, not by someone who can "game" the system's rules.

In all seriousness, figure skating is a pretty good example of an "impure" sport, as the victor is determined by incredibly subjective criteria, often in an environment rich with bias.

jaxword

Pretty sure underground death sports already exist in various elite clubs anyways.

In 100 or 200 years, who knows what sick entertainment people will want. AI will probably be advanced enough to have robots beat the hell out of each other by then too.

I wont even bother debating with this guy. One simple fact, UFC/MMA is growing and will soon be the biggest sport in the world. More deaths come from football and other sports than MMA. Peace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom