• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Naughty Dog buy themselves back from Sony?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty relative freedom to do what games they want, help influenced worldwide tech across Sony's gaming studios, big budgets and marketing, seems pretty good deal with Sony.

Sony would probably do all they can to keep pleasing them, straight to handjobs for all if they need be.

EMT0

Banned
Why don't Game Freak buy themselves back from Nintendo and release their games on more platforms? They sell 16 million per Pokemon game, they've got the name prestige to create a new IP and sell on Xbox and Playstation!

/sigh

Didn't Sony throw money at them to do whatever they wanted which is how TLoU came about in the first place?

The way it's been described is that they started kicking around ideas for Jak and couldn't come to a conclusion. Sony then apparently told them to make a new IP and then got out of the way. That's how TLoU came to be.

Naughty Dogs - 3 different IPs in two generations - great working relationship with Sony. Also, the founders of Naughty Dog have long left.

On the other hand, Bungie only worked one 1 franchise in two generations and seemed to have a poor relationship with MS with a big culture clash. Their founders were there, they wanted to work on new IP's and MS was sucker enough to let the Bungie name leave.

They don't leave because they have no reason to leave, and there's no feasible scenario in which it even happens (Naughty Dog buying itself from Sony).

Mononoke

Banned
Terrible idea. ND is making good money, and making good games. They like their relationship with Sony. Why rock the boat?

graywolf323

uh why would they? Sony is giving them free reign and a lot of money

Bungie bought themselves back because they didn't want to work on Halo anymore and Microsoft only wanted them to do Halo

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I'll put it this way, and its conjecture obviously

If Naughty Dog went with EA or Activision, they were given creative freedom, and their first game flopped, they'd be gutted and liquidated within 2 years

If Naughty Dog's next game with Sony flops, they'll see what went wrong and move on, with a few changes to the way they're overseen, changes which would be reversed once they proved the flop was an abberation

They did that with the first uncharted and looked what happened with uncharted 2.

lupinko

Why can't EAD leave Nintendo? Or HAL Labratories?

Or why can't 343i make a Halo elsewhere? Or Rare go on its own like the Battletoads days?

There are first party developers for a reason.

antibolo

Banned
no

rare should buy themselves back

Rare's creative talent has left the company years ago. Microsoft is actually being pretty generous for not having shut them down by now.

The closest thing to a spiritual successor to classic Rare right now is Retro Studios, which has hired some of its former talent for the new Donkey Kong Country games.

Endo Punk

Why don't you ask their community manager?

Arne get here and explain why ND wont go solo!

:p

You seem to forget that Naughty Dog is as good as it is now because of Sony, not despite of them.

True but it's not like they are the same studio they were 10 years ago. They really don't need Sony to guide them anymore. I'm sure ND has a good relationship with them but they can still keep that relationship when they go indie.

I feel they pretty much have done all they can within Sony, reached the pinnacle. And maybe the next step is a bigger audience, reaching more people which they can't do being tied down to PlayStation.

graywolf323

Why don't Game Freak buy themselves back from Nintendo and release their games on more platforms? They sell 16 million per Pokemon game, they've got the name prestige to create a new IP and sell on Xbox and Playstation!

/sigh

Nintendo actually owns Game Freak? pretty sure they are a private company and truly second-party

injurai

Banned
Buy themselves back, the continue to still work with Sony.

Or just continue to work with Sony.

Either way... work with Sony.

Eusis

Why can't EAD leave Nintendo? Or HAL Labratories?
EAD I think was explicitly formed by Nintendo so while not impossible it'd certainly be a larger hurdle than for an acquired third party I'd imagine, and there seems to actually be an interesting story with HAL where they exist now BECAUSE they were bailed out in exchange for becoming Nintendo exclusive. Though I think they made a Lolo game on Windows in the late 90s anyway.

Squire

Banned
Yeah, no. Sorry OP.

Sony lets ND do what they want at the very appealing price of inherently taking on the risk as their owners. If they leave, they give that up.

It's just not worth it.

I'm also not convinced ATVI is pushing Destiny that hard. I know Bungie are themselves, but it doesn't seem like ATVI is doing much of anything beyond footing the bill. Maybe that's fine. It's probably how Bungie wants it.

I'll tell you this though: Destiny looks cool as hell, but I could see it going either way in terms of being a huge success or a massive disappointment. I'd be scared silly if I was at Bungie. I wouldn't be at ND.

Rare's creative talent has left the company years ago. Microsoft is actually being pretty generous for not having shut them down by now.

I wish to god it was closed, so a reputable company (Nintendo or anyone not Microsoft, Sony or Gearbox) could buy the name and some ips and start a new studio with some of the old staff.

Five

Banned
Naughty Dog is Sony's golden goose. They'd be hard pressed to let them go.

And I think one of the things Naughty Dog loves about a closed platform is getting to exploit it so thoroughly. They've always been about getting the most out of a platform that they can. Expanding to other platforms would stretch them thin.

True but it's not like they are the same studio they were 10 years ago. They really don't need Sony to guide them anymore. I'm sure ND has a good relationship with them but they can still keep that relationship when they go indie.

I feel they pretty much have done all they can within Sony, reached the pinnacle. And maybe the next step is a bigger audience, reaching more people which they can't do being tied down to PlayStation.

You seem to really underestimate how much freedom means to them and completely overestimate how much freedom would be given to them if they actually did leave Sony. You bring up Bungie but they're currently locked into a 10 year contract with Activision for Destiny. How does that sound desirable?

This one never happen but people citing creative reasons are dumb. Its not like ND are making art house games. That made a third person shooter and a stealth zombie game. David Cage/thatgamecompany they are not.

Does the OP really think any body would allow ND to make TLOU at this point in time with what i sure is a huge budget .
Plus being on one system allows ND not to worry about a fair amount of stuff and push as far as they can .

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't see any obvious harmonic issues between the two.

1.) Naughty Dog seems fine with all of Sony's market oriented decisions from the realism switch to the online focus to 3D support to having other studios make spin-offs with their brands.

2.) Sony seems fine with Naughty Dog's general creative direction and artistic goals along with growing the studio to handle both existing and new IPs, along with giving them sufficient time to perform generational switches.

Generally you only see a rift between a developer and publisher when there's some kind of major financial and/or creative rift that they can't overcome, but both of them seem to be on the same page here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom