• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should the next Smash game come with all characters unlocked?

Deft Beck

All characters and stages unlocked.

But you unlock costumes and skins.

Honestly, what Brawl and 3DS/Wii U did with unlocking things by the single player mode felt weak; I liked having the NEW CHALLENGER thing appear after doing a lot of work.

Yeah, but it's a barrier for people who don't have hours to unlock everything.

Costumes and skins being unlocks is fair, but I think they should also be unlocked automatically for multiplayer.

Neither does Smash, you've been able to unlock all characters by playing versus since Brawl at least. I don't know why you feel the need to misrepresent the issue if you feel so strongly about it.

Options such as?

I knew that, and I wasn't misrepresenting it.

Forkball

New game: No. Unlocking is part of the fun and encourages you to try modes or battle a different way.

SSB4 Switch: Yes, god yes. I already unlocked everyone on the Japanese 3DS version, US 3DS version, US Wii U version, and the US Wii U version again when my Wii U broke and my save was wiped. I CAN'T DO IT AGAIN I JUST CAN'T

Khoryos

I can see a slight flaw with people thinking Nintendo should make things easier for tourney and competitive players:

Nintendo hates you. How do you not know this yet? They introduced systems to the game for the sole purpose of fucking with you, and you think they'll change a popular core system like New Challenger for your benefit?

Deft Beck

I can see a slight flaw with people thinking Nintendo should make things easier for tourney and competitive players:

Nintendo hates you. How do you not know this yet? They introduced systems to the game for the sole purpose of fucking with you, and you think they'll change a popular core system like New Challenger for your benefit?

While introducing improved bracketing systems, Omega stage variants and more? They invest into EVO and are positioning games like Splatoon to be more competitive focused; why not Smash?

levyjl1988

Banned
If the next Smash is a deluxe version of Wii U/3DS, then yes, please be unlocked up front.

If the next Smash is a new game, then either way is fine.

Unlocking characters is occasionally fun, but not when you've basically played the game before

This.
Most people don't want to go through the hassle of unlocking said character, especially when it comes to tournaments. It feels like a chore. Have them all unlocked from the get go, they are no longer a secret anymore.

llehuty

I think a good compromise would be having all the original characters of SSB4 unlocked, and all the DLC characters + the inevitable new characters locked.

I knew that, and I wasn't misrepresenting it.

You said you had to "beat single player mode 15 times to unlock a single character", when you don't. How is that "not misrepresenting"?

More crucially, why did you reply to that post and ignore the one where I ask you what are those "options" you talk about?

Hazu

Absolutely. It's archaic and completely unnecessary.

How can you say such a thing when tons of people love unlocking stuff?

I mean, it's not hard, just give the player the option or not to unlock everything right from the start, problem solved.

Matriox

I think the solution is a temporary unlock code. Like you have all of the characters unlocked but only until you reboot the game. That way, if you want to unlock them the true way you still can, while not losing the ability to just code into the whole roster when you have friends over.

Neoxon

This is the right answer. Colors. Costumes. Custom moves. Extra play modes.

There's plenty of other avenues for unlockables besides chars and stages.
Exactly, there's plenty of other means of providing unlockable characters without resorting to locking characters & stages, which would screw over both tournaments & casual get-togethers. And besides, it's not like the identity of the unlocksble characters won't get spoiled in the time of social media.

Unlockable characters (& stages for games like Smash & Injustice where they matter for gameplay) in fighting games is an outdated method of providing progress for players. The only time unlockable characters should be used now is for unlocking DLC (see SFV). It's about time that Smash joined the other fighting game franchises in doing away with unlockable characters & stages.

Pokemaniac

Unlocking all the characters is one of the best parts of getting a new Smash game.

What I really don't want a repeat of is custom moves, though. Those were just awful.

Competitive community wants it unlocked for sure for convenience sake.

I definitely want some locked characters and stages, but likely nearly all will be unlocked like MK8 deluxe. Custom specials, trophies, etc will be locked though.

Unlocking all the characters is one of the best parts of getting a new Smash game.
This. The more unlockables, the better.

What I really don't want a repeat of is custom moves, though. Those were just awful.
Not this, though! I love custom moves. I just wish they were available in every game mode, and that they were incorporated in character select in a convenient, intuitive way.

FSLink

Banned

You mean the company that sometimes provides systems/Gamecube adapters to tournaments nowadays? The company that added the Gamecube adapter specifically for competitive players?

Get with the times.

Pokemaniac

This. The more unlockables, the better.

Not this, though! I love custom moves. I just wish they were available in every game mode, and that they were incorporated in character select in a convenient, intuitive way.

Custom moves were a problem because there were a large number of them that you got randomly with the possibility of duplicates. If they want to bring them back as unlockables, they at least need to get rid of the duplicates. I've basically given up on unlocking all the custom moves due to those.

I love unlocking characters. But now that there's an ungodly amount in the roster, they need to unlock quicker and in alternative ways.

Top Bottom