• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should there be a "tourist-mode"/totally easy option for all games?

My kneejerk reaction would be to say no, but when I read about people with physical disabilities getting into more accessible games (that 1-2 Switch story was genuinely heartwarming), I feel like it wouldn't hurt.

I wouldn't knock a game for not being accessible, but some people need to get over the fact that not every game is catered only to them.

PaulloDEC

I wouldn't knock a game for not being accessible, but some people need to get over the fact that not every game is catered only to them.

Nobody here wants every game catered only to them. It's the opposite; they want every game to cater to as many people as possible.

Ok, but selecting Tourist Mode should bring up an EULA and NDA agreement that makes it so you're not allowed to talk about the game, because all your opinions are invalid.

TheFatMan

I mean unless the difficulty is a definitive part of the experience like Dark Souls or the like then I don't see why not?

I mean I honestly don't give a shit if someone wants to play Uncharted 4 on Super Easy, or if someone wants to stumble through Tales of Berseria on auto-pilot.

Why the fuck should anyone care about that? lol

No, not every game should have it. I think there's plenty of games where it could work though. I think the original purpose of a game, where the player challenges themselves to overcome any obstacle put before them, is lost in the process though.

This is why things like hard, very hard etc. exist.

To say you don't want an easy mode is on the same level as saying you don't want harder difficulties to challenge yourself.

jviggy43

First of all, no, an easy mode does not affect you as someone who wouldn't use it.

And that's easy to say, but the purchases a family (for example) makes are finite. Another thing is that some games trend, just like Souls or Nioh, and it's not great when it's too hard to enjoy the experience your peers are.

My GF can kick butt when it comes to 2D games, but the fact that she never grew up with twin sticks means that she can't even get up the stairs in Halo CE. It's an extreme scenario, but we found that there were very few games I had on Xbox One at that time that she could play.

Dark souls specifically affects me, as the population would be segregated due to different difficulty modes and dilute the player pool for summons and invasions, it affects me, and the fans of the series.

I think a few clever folks have mentioned it already, but how about we bring back cheats? A nice selection of secret toggles/value tweaks for players would require very little work by the developers, wouldn't tempt anyone who didn't specifically go looking for them and would offer players having difficulties some options other than "go play something else".

In lieu of proper difficulty modes, it'd solve a lot of problems.

I just wanna quickly point out that an easy mode in a Souls game would only make the game "easy" for someone who shouldn't be playing on "easy". For the people who aren't skilled enough to play the game normally, the easy mode would simply move the experience from "impossible" to "challenging".

A "tourist" mode is another story altogether.
see above, thats my main complaint. Not every game has that interplay dynamic so obviously I would never argue about easier modes in other games.

PaulloDEC

Dark souls specifically affects me, as the population would be segregated due to different difficulty modes and dilute the player pool for summons and invasions, it affects me, and the fans of the series.

see above, thats my main complaint. Not every game has that interplay dynamic so obviously I would never argue about easier modes in other games.

Is a small number of players being unavailable due to playing other difficulty modes really a big problem, though?

As people have mentioned before, most of the players who'd be choosing an easy mode would be in addition to the usual Souls playerbase i.e. they'd be people who wouldn't have otherwise bought the game. I doubt many of the core Souls fanbase (aka the people who buy every new title) would choose to play on easy.

jviggy43

Is a small number of players being unavailable due to playing other difficulty modes really a big problem, though?

As people have mentioned before, most of the players who'd be choosing an easy mode would be in addition to the usual Souls playerbase i.e. they'd be people who wouldn't have otherwise bought the game. I doubt many of the core Souls fanbase (aka the people who buy every new title) would choose to play on easy.

We had several posters saying they wouldn't be able to help themselves and play on easy earlier tho. Also it would rob players in easy from summoning people who could help beat bosses for them. Plus what about people who enjoy invading new players at early levels?

myco666

We had several posters saying they wouldn't be able to help themselves and play on easy earlier tho. Also it would rob players in easy from summoning people who could help beat bosses for them. Plus what about people who enjoy invading new players at early levels?

Why the easy mode players need to be separated from others? If easy mode was just enemies having less health, doing less damage and maybe bit mixed encounters with less overall enemies there wouldn't be need to separate these groups.

PaulloDEC

We had several posters saying they wouldn't be able to help themselves and play on easy earlier tho.

I mean, I can suggest ideas but I can't help people having no willpower. I really don't think we should withhold features based on whether or not people can physically restrain themselves from using them.

Also it would rob players in easy from summoning people who could help beat bosses for them.

I don't see why. From Software are smart people, I'm sure they could set it up so that high level players could still be summoned by easy mode players.

Plus what about people who enjoy invading new players at early levels?

Those people can die in a hole.

Why the easy mode players need to be separated from others? If easy mode was just enemies having less health, doing less damage and maybe bit mixed encounters with less overall enemies there wouldn't be need to separate these groups.

This is just one of many solutions that I'm sure could be reached if developers had a mind to.

Aytumious

Banned
They should also add an optional map, quest markers, and levels over the heads of enemies so you don't go to areas you aren't yet ready for.

LKSmash

I mean unless the difficulty is a definitive part of the experience like Dark Souls or the like then I don't see why not?

I mean I honestly don't give a shit if someone wants to play Uncharted 4 on Super Easy, or if someone wants to stumble through Tales of Berseria on auto-pilot.

Why the fuck should anyone care about that? lol

This is how I feel too. Why be concerned about how anyone but yourself is playing a game? lol. I don't see the appeal in being upset someone took a different route than you.

Royce McCutcheon

My friend who has the reflexes of a drunk man on molly, he would have never played Bier if I didn't tell him it had both auto dodge and auto attack, he loved it, plays it non stop and platinum it. I think people should get over themselves

MTC100

Banned
From reading a bit of GAF it seems a lot of people want to just enjoy some games without facing any difficulty. They wanna sit down after work and play a game like that.
Serious Sam has a mode like that. Prince of Persia 2008 was a bit like that, since you couldnt really die.

Would you want that games like Dark Souls or some games like Odallus have a mode where you cant really die?

Nier Automata has such a mode too, called easy, you can use auto chips there that even let your character melee attack for you and dodge, the only thing you are left to do is using the left analog stick to move.

Persona 5 has a Story Mode, where you are almost invincible and deal 3 times the damage to enemies, get more loot and exp on top of that, you can't change the difficulty back from there though.

Top Bottom