• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show me the exact moment you felt that Videogames had transcended into a higher form of Narrative Medium for You

7L695bWrMTMuio9LY6pjDn-970-80.jpg.webp

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Eeeeeyup.

For a less sarcastic response:

Super_Metroid_Mother_Brain_hyperbeam.png

This is something that only a video game can do.
No text.
No cutscenes trying to ape cinema.
Everything is real-time and made in the game’s engine.
I wish I could relive the emotion and the surprise I felt at that moment.
YEP. This. Thanks for reminding me of that.

...and not a single word needed, unlike all these cutscenes (movies) posted.

Last edited:
This was the moment for me:

The buildup from the first scene riding on Agro, that beautiful OST, going to a distant land that had nothing outside of silence, the mysterious girl, the spooky voice, still confused on why all of this is happening. And then seeing this for the first time on your 32 inch old square TV during the PS2 days. Not only was my mind blown with the sheer size if the Colossus, but this was the moment I took videogames more seriously as a form of art and complex story telling. I have never had a moment like this again.

However, I was fortunate to play Ace Combat 4 and MGS3 right after this masterpiece. Let's just say it was an amazing summer. Literally back to back bliss.

Edit: I have had this moment again:

This opening was literally one of the most beautiful experiences I have ever encountered in a game. And I am not even a huge racing buff.

Damn the Forza horizon 4 opening hits different. I remember the first time playing that, and was like whooooa!!!

Raonak

Banned
Metal Gear Solid 1.

That's when I knew that videogames is are the best entertainment medium. the prefect blend visuals, music, story and mechanics.

Like I hear people say about cinematic games: "why wouldn't you just watch a movie instead"
well, i'd rather play a game version of all of my favourite movies.

Zannegan

Honestly, videogames are generally pretty weak in the narrative department. As a medium, there are ways to tell a story through gameplay itself, but they are difficult to take advantage of, so most games elect to deliver story beats through cutscenes and voiceovers. Few even have the illusion of choice. Seeing cinematic games propped up as evidence of gaming's potential as a narrative medium is pretty ironic to say the least.

On top of that, most games have pretty awful stories and delivery to begin with. Even (sometimes especially) those which are lauded for their storytelling are little better than B-movies and sometimes significantly worse

HOWEVER, I can think of a couple examples of games that use gameplay/game features to tell stories, which would not have the same impact in another medium:
  • It's hard to explain just how 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors makes use of its gamey features to deliver story without spoiling it, but if you've played it blind (especially on the DS) you know what I'm talking about. May be a copout as it's a VN, but since it does have gameplay and (again, without spoiling anything) that gameplay is used to deliver story in a way that surpasses what a simple cutscene or writing could have done, I think it still works here.
  • Eternal Darkness does some unique moment-to-moment storytelling through its insanity meter that "transcends" what a cutscene or written description would have done.
  • And then, I dunno, maybe Bioshock in a roundabout way. The "would you kindly" moment may technically be a cutscene, but it only has impact because (trying not to spoil anything here) it is contrasted with gameplay.
BONUS: I haven't played The Return of Obra Dinn yet, but it seems like it might be all about delivering story through gameplay. I'll have to try it before I can say for sure.

Last edited:
As much as I love games, they’re not a higher form of narrative medium.
I used to think this, but nah. I think they’re pretty poor narratively.
I tend to think games are better the gamier they are now. Give me cool environments and good gameplay and whatever I make up in my head is best.

Last edited:

royox

Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.

There is a realm of existence so far beyond your own you cannot even imagine it. I am beyond your comprehension. I am Sovereign.

Your civilization is based on the technology of the mass relays, our technology. By using it, your society develops along the paths we desire.

We impose order on the chaos of organic evolution. You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

ufkga21mrs231.png

And then Vigil conversation popped in Illos and the Keepers and Citadel thing blew the rest of my mind.

Never a game saga gave me the feelings Mass Effect gave me. Friendship, horror, sadness, emptyness, hope, anger...nothing can compete.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
This was everything I wanted video games to be sadly it was all downhill from there

zkorejo

When I bought a PS3 2.5 years late into that generation. I played Xbox 360 mostly but missed PlayStation titles so got a PS3.

The first game I bought with it was heavy rain, it was so graphically advanced than anything I had played on 360.. the story was awesome and it felt like an interactive movie but this wasn't it.

The second game was Uncharted 2. I hadn't played uncharted 1, I went in blind I had no idea about the series. The moment Drake wakes up in the Village and moves around... At that moment I was like.. this stuff is next level. That moment for me was like, it's a mix of a great movie and game.. the story the graphics the gameplay.. games can be so much more entertaining because it needs you in the driver seat to experience it firsthand.

I think that was the time when my perspective changed about gaming. Took itore seriously. Learned more about behind the scenes. Read more about the the industry.

Edit: MGS 2 and especially 3 gave me this feeling too but I guess uncharted 2 was the tipping point. Maybe it's the better graphics and visuals that improved my immersion to that point.

Tldr; This moment:
7y9O.gif

Last edited:

ssringo

It's happened several times over the years. I mean, I've been gaming since indistinguishable objects were shooting blocks at other indistinguishable objects for no reason other than they can.

Final Fantasy 2(4) was my first big jump in storytelling. Then it got progressively better until Metal Gear Solid made another big jump.

Metal Gear Solid is a big one for me and probably when you leave the Registration Office in Morrowind and first get out into Seyda Neen and it's like, "Where am I supposed to go now?...Oh......OH!"

Last edited:

Shivvy24

For me it was uncharted 2. Going from games like ratchet, Jak, cod and a few fps games. Never played anything like that. Changed the way I see games completely.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Probably playing Ocarina of Time.

It was just stunning, felt like I was transported into Hyrule itself. That game couldn't have been released at a better time in my life, I was old enough then to maintain vivid memories of playing it. It also released when my father was dying of cancer and as a 13 year old, you don't know how to deal with that or accept it in a healthy way. Being able to play OOT really helped with removing me from the weight of what was going on and allow me to just be a kid and have fun with a videogame.

Runner up is OG Resident Evil 1996. That game transports you into an actual horror movie, it was amazing playing that for the first time. I played that after OOT though. I didn't get into RE until RE2 had already been released. That was around the time my brother and I finally got a PSX and RE was one of the first games we bought.

Jaybe

The las of us - giraffe scene, humanity
Halo reach ending, the inevitable end for us
RDR ending shootout, betrayed
RDR2 house building, and knowing what happens later there

Kuranghi

aOnRF6Q.gif

Paris in spring

I was about to replay these, any idea if I should play the og releases or the remasters? I feel like things were changed for the worse, and I prefer the old graphics most of the time. I kind of answered my own question lol.

Oh man, so many great old games of so many different genres, I just fucking love computer games so much.

edit - I checked the remasters on Steam and they have the og releases included anyway so no worries.

Last edited:
Games like RDR, Hellblade, Half-Life, Dark Souls, The Last of Us, The Witcher 3 and others I can't bring to the top of my head have cemented my belief that video games are not just entertainment, but also art, and a form of expression.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I think with games its not really about the overall narrative for me, the scenario and characters and the little moments/features are what makes it for me. Most writing is just pants, the best games are the ones with basically no "story" or a very simple one anyway.

MrJTeera

there has been a lot. But i felt it first with playstation. Final fantasy vii intro, metal gear solid, vagrant story.

images

Wassup Gamers!!! It’s time to finish the game. Press the button to finish the game! C’mon now, you’ve come this far. Just press the Square button to finish the game. Why aren’t you pressing it? The game won’t end til you press the Square button. Why are you crying?

Kuranghi

That moment when Manny goes from a nobody with a broom to the coolest guy in town.

The tone + the music of this game is still pretty much unmatched imo, it REALLY feels like a real city even though its quite limited in where you can go, its just such an amazing game.

I still never played the remastered one, I heard some bad things but not sure what it was now, any idea?

MrJTeera

TBH, I feel that most of the videogame that resonates with me narratively, the devs cited these emotions from the media they consumed, music, movies, political podcasts etc.

The wow factor is still there, but in the back of my mind, I think to myself, I coulda make shit like this too. But then I look at my sparse portfolio and my lack of social skills, and I just went on an inner frustrating rage that ends with me playing those games again, trying to feel that wow moment again and again as seasons passed, and people’s taste changed by the years.

That wow moment is never coming back…

Top Bottom