• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us the inside of your PC

hitgirl

Was fun to put together. I recently cut out the extra drive bay up top, but haven't gotten a decent picture of it yet. I'll post what I have though.

edit: I just noticed my avatar is the inside of my case..

WP_20130725_003_zps9318ca93.jpg

WP_20130725_013_zps389f379d.jpg

photo13_zps428b0c5e.jpg

yatesl

Hmmm...it seems like most people who have their psu seated on the bottom of the case have the fan pointed downward. I have my psu the other way around, where the fan points up. Is there a reason why most people have it the other way?

Theoretically pulling in cooler air from outside of the case, vs the hot inside.

Obviously depends if your case has a opening on the bottom, though (ideally with a dust filter).

Herne

Dscf1133-2.jpg

This was back in 2011, when it was mostly new. I'll have to open it up and take another photo - it's all much the same but for the graphics card, though. One hell of a workhorse.

Hmmm...it seems like most people who have their psu seated on the bottom of the case have the fan pointed downward. I have my psu the other way around, where the fan points up. Is there a reason why most people have it the other way?

Theoretically pulling in cooler air from outside of the case, vs the hot inside.

Obviously depends if your case has a opening on the bottom, though (ideally with a dust filter).

while this is technically correct, does not precisely explain the whole thing.

By pointing the PSU fan upwards, you're actually blowing hot air directly onto your card(s) which may have some adverse effects, specially if you overclock.
This can be countered by building enough positive pressure within the case itself by placing some intake fans on the front, and having the rest (back, PSU, etc) blow all hot air towards the outside.
For this of course, you have to also consider how much positive pressure you have built which in most cases, is required to be higher than that of your components and their heat convection properties (all heat tends to go up), but which can also be solved by placing top exhaust vents.

Nzyme32

Interstellar is what would happen if I ever open up my PC

Couldn't you just take the five dimensional translated-into-three-dimensional tesseract, and return to the point at which it wasn't such a mess and get your kid to fix it

while this is technically correct, does not precisely explain the whole thing.

By pointing the PSU fan upwards, you're actually blowing hot air directly onto your card(s) which may have some adverse effects, specially if you overclock.
This can be countered by building enough positive pressure within the case itself by placing some intake fans on the front, and having the rest (back, PSU, etc) blow all hot air towards the outside.
For this of course, you have to also consider how much positive pressure you have built which in most cases, is required to be higher than that of your components and their heat convection properties (all heat tends to go up), but which can also be solved by placing top exhaust vents.
That's not true. The exhaust fan is pointing out the back of your PC. The fan that you're talking about is the intake. It doesn't blow air anywhere. It sucks air in. That means it's fighting with the GPUs fans for the air in that space when it's facing up.

That's not true. The exhaust fan is pointing out the back of your PC. The fan that you're talking about is the intake. It doesn't blow air anywhere. It sucks air in. That means it's fighting with the GPUs fans for the air in that space when it's facing up.

please excuse the crappy diagram....

GOOD
atx_case_diagramnrdgf.jpg

unless you have delta fans which can dissipate heat fast enough,
or place the PSU somewhere near the front/middle of the case,
it will catch some of the hot air and "cook" itself

BAD
atx_case_diagram_36xek8.jpg

Based on the cleanliness of all of your equipment, I'm not about to take a picture of mine.

I don't know how you all do it.

LilJoka

please excuse the crappy diagram....

atx_case_diagramnrdgf.jpg

unless you have delta fans which can dissipate heat fast enough,
or place the PSU somewhere near the front/middle of the case,
it will catch some of the hot air and "cook" itself

atx_case_diagram_23cdp2.jpg

Assuming the PSU is at the bottom of the case:

PSU fans are intakes. If you have the fan facing up then it fights with the GPUs to collect cool air from the front intake.

If you have it facing down it will get fresh air from the outside of the case.

In carpet/dusty environments it's better to have the PSU fan facing up (else you'll get a ton of dust and poor airflow through the PSU), otherwise facing down is better.

I think you are way over exaggerating the PSU grabbing it's own exhaust since that hot air will want to rise.

Assuming the PSU is at the bottom of the case:

PSU fans are intakes. If you have the fan facing up then it fights with the GPUs to collect cool air from the front intake.

If you have it facing down it will get fresh air from the outside of the case.

In carpet/dusty environments it's better to have the PSU fan facing up (else you'll get a ton of dust and poor airflow through the PSU), otherwise facing down is better.

I think you are way over exaggerating the PSU grabbing it's own exhaust since that hot air will want to rise.

I try not to over-exaggerate, but I'm seriously OCD about case temperatures and airflow.
Specially since i used to have these rigs set up for crypto-currency mining running 24/7 ..... 1 degree would make a world of a difference.

And as an added note, .... single fan PSUs wont work as intakes because by the time the cold air they pull in has passed through the circuitboard and heatsinks, is already reached "above room temperature"

LilJoka

I try not to over-exaggerate, but I'm seriously OCD about case temperatures and airflow.
Specially since i used to have these rigs set up for crypto-currency mining running 24/7 ..... 1 degree would make a world of a difference.

And as an added note, .... single fan PSUs wont work as intakes because by the time the cold air they pull in has passed through the circuitboard and heatsinks, is already reached "above room temperature"

When I meant intake, I meant the fans bring in air into the unit and exhaust out the perforated rear side. That's why they wouldn't blow hot air into the GPU as you said in your first post.

When I meant intake, I meant the fans bring in air into the unit and exhaust out the perforated rear side. That's why they wouldn't blow hot air into the GPU as you said in your first post.

Oh,,... i see what you mean .... 👍

Got it !!! 👌😊

Durante

That's actually a relatively small one, as I was limited to a height of 15 cm :p
It looks larger because the case is small (for ATX).

That's actually a relatively small one, as I was limited to a height of 15 cm :p
It looks larger because the case is small (for ATX).

I have an NHD14 and whenever I open my case when unexperienced people are around, they ask if all computers look like that.

LoL

zorbsie

All these shots are fake. Where the dust bunnies at?
Absolutely amazing stuff in here folks. I'm so jelly.

Yarbskoo

I would, but it's not really in a position that lets me open it easily while it's still connected to everything.
Also you'd all make fun of my terrible cable management.

Cerity

nSYPHqd.jpg

iHzvX2j.jpg

From 2-3 years ago, build is still cosmetically the same. Since I've moved to intel, changed graphics cards and changed both my radiators to a single 480 rad, externally mounted.

MetalDeer

Can't really get a decent photo at the moment.

Cable management in my case is an absolute nightmare. I spent an hour trying to tidy things up, but I had to undo almost everything because there's so little space behind the motherboard tray. Drives me insane, almost..

Top Bottom