• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2013 Edition

nan0

I am having the hardest time finding a computer chair in the $200 range. It gets really hot in my apartment and every chair I have ever owned seems to make that problem so much worse.

IKEA Markus has a backrest made of mesh material, and costs around 150 Euro. Maybe thats an alternative. I have one, but can't really compare it to super-expensive models.

LtOrange

IKEA Markus has a backrest made of mesh material, and costs around 150 Euro. Maybe thats an alternative. I have one, but can't really compare it to super-expensive models.

Thanks for the recommendation! I am actually heading to ikea tomorrow and I will check this out.

ElNino

I'll second the IKEA Markus as an inexpensive office chair. I have some pretty expensive chairs at work but the Markus is better for me than some of them. I've only had mine for around a year though, so I can't comment on longevity yet but so far it has exceeded my expectations of what an office chair from IKEA could be.

master15

Really beautiful master15, both setup and view, wish I had views like that in central London. I have the same glossy sliding door wardrobes - a great budget choice. Be sure never drop the door off the rails, it's a bitch to get back!

Thanks! I have to say your set-up in 2009, was definitely a source of inspiration. I lived 2 years in London and I sometimes wish my place in Shoreditch looked a fraction as good :)

Yeah the warddrobes proven very useful and funactional. With wire baskets, multi-use hangers and shelves we got a lot packed in there. While I will never admit to being great at Ikea assembly, the hassle I had to go through to get the sliding doors to get on the upper and lower tracks was a nightmare, I hope I don't have to revisit anytime soon.

Awesome setup master15, got the Ikea lowboards as well and they look really good!

Is the TV size okay for you? Dunno why, but it looks so small on the pictures.

From the couch and even dinning table at the back it's not bad. Eventually if we decide to stay in the space a little longer I would like to get a larger set and have it wall mounted.

Tabris

So I'll be moving in next 3 months. Going to be buying my own place instead of renting. I would love to hear what you guys think (especially in respect to my current setup). Here's a couple of places in my price range that I'm looking at.

V1002856_301_22.jpg

V1002856_501_22.jpg

V1002856_101_12.jpg

V1002856_801_22.jpg

V1002856_401_22.jpg

A bit of a downgrade from my current place but a bit more affordable than the one above and a bit of a better view:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I think God fuckin' damn that shit is hot.

One concern, however, is that it doesn't look like there's much room for a computer setup. You've gotta have a desk somewhere, and putting it in the bedroom is tacky... so I dunno how much space there is to make it happen.

Also, no countertop for the bathroom sink in the first one? I'm all for modern design, but that doesn't mean you should live like you're in fucking Kosovo.

Tabris

Yeah, my desk would have to go in my bedroom or in living room in the first place. Second place has an office area off the living room (solarium style).

For the countertop space, it's there. It's indented into the wall. You would put your stuff there.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Awesome Tabris, good luck man. The best advice I can give having done the same a few times:

- Trust your gut. If the flat *feels* nice when you step in, don't overrationalize it. I turned down an exact same size flat in our house that was 100k cheaper because it just didn't feel somehow as spacious and nice as the more expensive one, and the view wasn't quite as pleasing. Now the price difference is almost 300k to our benefit.

- Decide on the layout, not the condition. That floorplan looks solid. I would not pay too much attention to kitchen styling, bathroom styling, flooring etc. as long as the layout is good. You can upgrade everything else over time but not the layout.

- Whatever your build cost and time is, add 50% on top as a contingency. Chances are it will come handy.

- Plan, plan, plan, document. Our remodel document we made was some 30 pages, every last detail specced out with examples, mood boards and elevations drawn in Illustrator.

- Build in double the storage you think you need. We used evry possible slot and corner for sliding door wardrobes and even extended kitchen cupboards all the way to the ceiling.

Danny Dudekisser

Yeah, my desk would have to go in my bedroom or in living room in the first place. Second place has an office area off the living room (solarium style).

For the countertop space, it's there. It's indented into the wall. You would put your stuff there.

I would absolutely go with a place that has an office area. My last apartment was basically one room + a bedroom, and I'd go stir-crazy because I was basically in the same place all the time. A change of scenery can make a huge difference.

And all of Chitta's advice is good, unsurprisingly. That's stuff I'm adhering to when I finally get a new place.

Spazznid

I've never posted my setup, and it's not very nice, but I also would like some input.

Excuse the crappy Phone camera.

I need to get a desk and monitor, and put my TV on the wall, but the thing is, I need a desk that would work well with this setup. I enjoy playing games on my TV, but I'd also like to be able to use a monitor and proper desk for my Wacom and fps games.

Also, I need to get rid of the "Entertainment center" lol.

guest1321

Early 2013 Set-Up

It has taken me forever to get around to taking pictures but since I am moving out of my place after two years of living here I figured it needed to be done now (plus I just got a new camera), so GAF, here's what my last two years of college have been like.

Living Room Situation
  • Samsung PN51D550 (51" Plasma -- Glare kind of sucks but other than that I'm very happy with it]
  • Pioneer VSX-1022K
  • Pioneer SW-8 Subwoofer
  • Pioneer SP-C21 Center
  • Polk Audio Montor 50 Series II L&R
  • Pioneer SP-BS22 Back/Side L&R
  • Xbox 360
  • PS3
  • Apple TV
The By Product of Gaming :D

Bedroom
  • Hanns-G 28" (Had it for 3 1/2 years, really pleased with performance)
  • Macbook Pro Retina 15" (2.7Ghz, 16GB Memory, 512GB SSD)
  • Swan D1080MkII (I've recently re-fallen in love with these speakers, absolutely beautiful)
  • PS VITA (homework break utility)
  • Herman Miller Aeron
  • Shure-SRH940 (Not Pictured)

EDIT: Pic quality fixed, and just noticed there is dust on the entertainment system. Also, so glad to be done with that apartment sheerly for the level of dust that I got there.

PG2G

So, are there any items you guys think it's okay to go fairly cheap on in a living room? I just moved into a new place and don't have unlimited funds so I'm trying to prioritize things a bit.

Right now I'm thinking go big on items that you sit on regularly (so chairs, couches) or can have interesting design or materials (coffee table, dinning room table, rugs) and go cheaper on things like bookshelfs, bar stools, and basic media console.

Danny Dudekisser

So, are there any items you guys think it's okay to go fairly cheap on in a living room? I just moved into a new place and don't have unlimited funds so I'm trying to prioritize things a bit.

Right now I'm thinking go big on items that you sit on regularly (so chairs, couches) or can have interesting design or materials (coffee table, dinning room table, rugs) and go cheaper on things like bookshelfs, bar stools, and basic media console.

Sounds about right, though I'd prefer to buy nothing and save up instead of buying a cheap holdover, if that's possible.

PG2G

Sounds about right, though I'd prefer to buy nothing and save up instead of buying a cheap holdover, if that's possible.

True, I'll probably just buy what is necessary and hold off on everything else for a while. My current TV stand has gotta go, haha :p

Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to contribute something to the thread soon.

Nice places tarbis. Love the floor to ceiling windows the most in the second one.

Buy the best couch you can afford.

How did the OP get hold of an Xbone already?

some of you people have really nice setups...aka stealth bragging i'm rich/

mine is a Philips 42", and the epitome of luxury for me is having a $199 Samsung HTIB to go with it now!

D23

i was looking at that IKEA markus swivel chairs, that thing is $200 how is that inexpensve @.@

btw, nice setups everyone

im gonna post mine soon once everything is properly set

Prozel

Damn. Feel for you dude.

: (

Mind me asking how it started?

Long story but I'll try to break it down. Basicly I was driving a friend of my mine to his brother. Before I left my room my uplight lamp was turned on since I thought I'd be home quick. The fucker though became too hot and snapped litting my bed on fire.

And it gets even more crazy. While I was driving a badger jumped out of nowhere and because I'm an inexperienced driver I paniced and we ended up crashing on the road, totalling my car I've only had three weeks. Luckily none of us was hurt. The only reason why my parents found out, was because we called my friend's dad which would tell them on way to us, and he saw the fire in my room.

Pretty fucked. I lost my car and almost managed to burn down my house because of that lamp.

So this happened to me Sunday night.

Bye everything!

That sucks, sorry for your losses. Hang in there.

As much as it sucks (and it does suck), at least stuff can be replaced. Hope your insurance check covers at least some of what you had.

You'll be gaming in no time.

Prozel

Even more so my brother wasn't there (at his dad) otherwise I don't know what would have happened...

That sucks, sorry for your losses. Hang in there.

As much as it sucks (and it does suck), at least stuff can be replaced. Hope your insurance check covers at least some of what you had.

You'll be gaming in no time.

Absolutely. My car insurance don't cover my own car though, since it's too expensive for people in my age (19). That's what bother me the most.

Just bought the desk last week

kDEH0sY.jpg

I still need to get more shelving units to store all my games that are sitting out >.<

QiTJACE.jpg

I've been wanting this exact desk!!! I just wanted to check it out at the actual store(hoping theres a floor model) because I have one 27inch ips monitor, and two 22inch monitors for a triple setup. I just dont think I can fit all three in that desk :(

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/images/products/fredde-computer-work-station__0180198_PE332339_S4.JPG

Herne

dual.png

My desktop pc with laptop and tablet, with my Commodore retro station sitting alongside.

cbm.png

Close-up of my C64 and A1200 setup.

DSCF0972.JPG

The kitchen, sporting my flatmate's pc's. We have lan's every now and then with friends, and they'll set up their pc's in there as well every time we do.

DSCF0977.JPG

The living room, with media pc, Wii and Xbox 360. The second Wii (belonged to my flatmate) has been replaced with a Wii U, and a Blu Ray player now sits under there as well.

Edit - Okeydokey.

I don't want to look at your stamp collection, your window, or what your god damn bed looks like.

Just post your damn gaming setup! And some of you guys have awesome cleeeean setups. Thanks for the inspiration.

vitacola

As long as there is no 2013 cribs thread, I think it's okay if people post their whole apartments/houses. Maybe BigDaddyFatSack should open one so the people won't spam his gaming setup thread.

Danny Dudekisser

I'll second the IKEA Markus as an inexpensive office chair. I have some pretty expensive chairs at work but the Markus is better for me than some of them. I've only had mine for around a year though, so I can't comment on longevity yet but so far it has exceeded my expectations of what an office chair from IKEA could be.

I'm kinda late to this, but I had a Markus for uh... shit, 4 years? Yeah. It actually did last, though it took about a month for the leather on the seat to get kinda stretched out. But if you're looking for a chair that's not going to get too hot, it's a decent choice. I felt like the seat was too short for taller people, and the chair really isn't all that comfortable if you're sitting in it for a long period, but it's serviceable.

Upgraded to an Embody chair a week ago, though, and I'm pretty sure which chair I like better.

Tabris

I don't want to look at your stamp collection, your window, or what your god damn bed looks like.

Just post your damn gaming setup! And some of you guys have awesome cleeeean setups. Thanks for the inspiration.

First of all, I invented this thread concept on neoGAF (back like 7 years ago), and have been the OP every year I wasn't banned and I say this goes. Second of all, this is like the gaming pick up thread, there's not enough traffic for an OT setup/cribs thread or an OT pick up thread, so no harm rolling it all up in one.

Yes Boss!

First of all, I invented this thread concept on neoGAF (back like 7 years ago), and have been the OP every year I wasn't banned and I say this goes. Second of all, this is like the gaming pick up thread, there's not enough traffic for an OT setup/cribs thread or an OT pick up thread, so no harm rolling it all up in one.

Truth. Even though there are a lot of lurkers (like myself) seeing how other people live in their places is always fascinating. For example, I'm always looking at the kitchens in addition to the gaming spaces. Gaming+ is always appreciated. I enjoy seeing how gaming culture figures into the whole living space.

Tabris

Truth. Even though there are a lot of lurkers (like myself) seeing how other people live in their places is always fascinating. For example, I'm always looking at the kitchens in addition to the gaming spaces. Gaming+ is always appreciated. I enjoy seeing how gaming culture figures into the whole living space.

Yeah, completely agree on this point. I mean in general, a lot of us will have different design sensibilities (like I need a place where the TV is the focus of my entire apartment) than the standard deal.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I have no problem with what people post relating to their setup.

...Except when you fuckers have your games out of alphabetical order. Fix that shit!

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Always buy publisher and then alpha within publisher. The only way.
I don't care about publishers. I go alphabetical except within a game series. For example, I place LoZ Twilight Princess before LoZ Skyward Sword because TP came out first.

I don't care about publishers. I go alphabetical except within a game series. For example, I place LoZ Twilight Princess before LoZ Skyward Sword because TP came out first.

You have no idea how much I struggle with that. Also games that are part of a series, but end up changing the first word in the name.

My apologies for the photo quality. I'm limited to my phone cam and the perpetual dusk in my living room denies me to make nice pics with it.

2013-06-01%2010.33.392.jpg

Edit: nice last on page:p

Top Bottom