• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2016 Edition

Updated crappy pictures of my very modest but clean gaming setup. On the whole, it's not much for looks, but damn if I don't love spending hours of my life parked at that desk.

Wingman said:
7HjlJAM.jpg

3S7q5B2.jpg

aCiP58O.jpg

BbICrvd.jpg

Could see you pulling an all nighter with a set up like this, it looks cozy! I would stay up till 7:00 am paying something in that room.

Yeah....Let me just say I have a very patient and badass woman who loves me haha. I spend alot of time in this room, as it is after all, built for home theater and gaming. Also finally had the resources to build a new gaming PC as well. Makes it that much sweeter to lose myself in here.

finalflame

Gold Member
Quick snaps after rearranging the shelf again and throwing some things out:

What always gets me about your shots is that you have fucking fantastic taste in everything. Literally all your components are not gaudy, but quality and absolutely class. Sweet setup man, for real.

dw.og

Installed some LED strips last night and set up my new speakers. What do you guys think? I originally had Audioengine's A2+ speakers but they were too weak for my space so I upgraded to the the A5+ model. Are there any other minimalist speakers in the $400 range that I should have considered? I like the design of Yahama's HS7s but they were a bit larger and more expensive than those below. Also, it seemed like the A5+ was a popular choice for entertainment purposes. Sorry in advance for the poor IQ. One of these days I will invest in a camera.

JRS83ME.jpg

Lucent

Installed some LED strips last night and set up my new speakers. What do you guys think? I originally had Audioengine's A2+ speakers but they were too weak for my space so I upgraded to the the A5+ model. Are there any other minimalist speakers in the $400 range that I should have considered? I like the design of Yahama's HS7s but they were a bit larger and more expensive than those below. Also, it seemed like the A5+ was a popular choice for entertainment purposes. Sorry in advance for the poor IQ. One of these days I will invest in a camera.

JRS83ME.jpg

I want an entertainment center like this. But I don't wanna pay how much that probably cost. Lol

leng jai

One of my favorite setups for some reason. Nice job!

What always gets me about your shots is that you have fucking fantastic taste in everything. Literally all your components are not gaudy, but quality and absolutely class. Sweet setup man, for real.

Thanks for the ego boost lads.

I want an entertainment center like this. But I don't wanna pay how much that probably cost. Lol

Nothing there looks all that expensive, it just looks good because of its minimalistic nature and good choice of furniture.

dw.og

If those are IKEA Besta, then it wouldn't be all that much. And even if it wasn't, they would look very similar.

Thanks for the ego boost lads.

Nothing there looks all that expensive, it just looks good because of its minimalistic nature and good choice of furniture.

Thanks guys. And yep, the bench is the IKEA Besta and the TV is a Vizio M60 so nothing tremendously expensive at all.

TBiddy

JRS83ME.jpg

I think I've mentioned it before, but it's too minimalistic and "colorless" for my taste. What about hanging something on the wall? I think some abstract art with strong colors would do wonders.

But again, we can't argue taste!

entremet

Quick snaps after rearranging the shelf again and throwing some things out:

I've always loved your setup since everything seemed carefully considered. Art books, LEGO, the Tivoli radios.

Great stuff. I can't wait until you do a complete home setup in the future.

I'm real tempted to get a pair of a5s now after seeing your post. Looks like they are the speaker ive been looking for for my living room.

Chittagong

Gold Member

JRS83ME.jpg

Really beautiful. The media unit, speakers and table all feel like a family. Lovely.

leng jai

I've always loved your setup since everything seemed carefully considered. Art books, LEGO, the Tivoli radios.

Great stuff. I can't wait until you do a complete home setup in the future.

I'll admit that the Tivoli radio actually isn't even plugged in at the moment, so it's just for display.

Very nice setup even though i don't like beds in gaming rooms.But you manage to make it look classy.

The shelves your PS4s are on,are those Kallax?

Well it's essentially a bedroom :p

The shelf with the receiver and XBone is a Kallax, not sure what the PS4 shelf is called. They're both from Ikea though.

dw.og

I think I've mentioned it before, but it's too minimalistic and "colorless" for my taste. What about hanging something on the wall? I think some abstract art with strong colors would do wonders.

But again, we can't argue taste!

While I generally prefer the whole monochrome Scandinavian look, adding some abstract art with bold bright colors is something I would not be opposed to. It's just that I'm not sure how I would pull that off on the huge wall my TV is currently on. I think I would basically have to hang something above the TV. I've been thinking about installing a long shelf above my TV and then putting some decorations and accents on that. I also want to get one of those tall bamboo plants from IKEA and put it to the left.

Really beautiful. The media unit, speakers and table all feel like a family. Lovely.

Thanks! I'm glad that it all came together. My only regret is that I wish I would have gone with a slightly bigger TV (65" or even 70"). Right now I have a 60" but it's still a nice upgrade from my previous 40". Also, I think the purple light behind the TV, while fun, looks a little juvenile. I'm going to try and make a custom color to get closer to a more conservative soft white.

I'm real tempted to get a pair of a5s now after seeing your post. Looks like they are the speaker ive been looking for for my living room.

Yeah they're really nice. I like them so far. I've been using them with my PS4 and Spotify and am happy with them thus far.

entremet

I'll admit that the Tivoli radio actually isn't even plugged in at the moment, so it's just for display.

The shelf with the receiver and XBone is a Kallax, not sure what the PS4 shelf is called. They're both from Ikea though.

well those speakers probably sound way better, so I don't blame you.

sublimit

Banned

I recognize the Kallax that your XB1 is on but i don't recognize the other one.I looked at Ikea's online store and couldn't find it.Maybe it's only available for NA? (i'm in Europe)

leng jai

I recognize the Kallax that your XB1 is on but i don't recognize the other one.I looked at Ikea's online store and couldn't find it.Maybe it's only available for NA? (i'm in Europe)

Just had a look at the Ikea website and can't find it. Must be discontinued.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Today's the day, I'm finally going to get around posting pictures of my setup. Sun is right, 7D is at home, home is tidy.

Chittagong

Gold Member
This post has been quite a while in the making, I just never got around taking new pictures of our flat after the ones I posted in 2012.

A lot has happened since - new consoles arrived, new TVs, iPad gaming became a thing... Just to mention a few.

Overall, the design philosophy of our flat has been that we don't like physical things, so we want our home to be as clutter free as possible. We don't have physical CDs, films or games, and the only physical books we have are coffee table style art books. So our apartment was always designed around the idea that we wouldn't collect stuff, that we'd use that money rather digitally, or to buy experiences instead. The form of the apartment follows function. Everything is as comfortable as possible, and there is a place for everything. We've used as high quality fittings and furnture as possible for the few things we have. A lot of the things in our apartment have been originally recommended by Gaf, from games to consoles, headphones to fitness gear.

Now, we have put the flat on the market as we'll move to a new build as I intend to go full Harvey Specter / Don Draper with skyline views. So apologies for this post being ridiculously long, wanted to get this all just posted now.

Main Gaming Setup - living room

When we redid our flat, we designed the living room around media and games. A custom wall was built behind the TV, routing 7.1 cabling around and over to the ceiling. Back then it looked like Kinects and sensor bars were going to be all the rage, so we did a cut out in the wall for them. Fortunately it will finally come to use with VR. All the gaming consoles, Apple TV and the AV amp are inside the white cabinet, out of sight. I don't own a single physical game, which is awesome. Any game can be played at any time. PS4 and Wii U have larger HDDs for that reason.

The living room has a Genelec 7.1 system, which I must say is one of our best purchases. They are the same speakers used to mix most of the games and films we play, and some of the big music as well. They work very well in medium sized rooms where the listening spot is well defined. Their sound is absolutely phenomenal, they never become jarring, no matter how loud they are.

Kit - 75" TV - Samsung UE75ES9000. AV amp - Yamaha RX-A1020. Consoles - PS4, Xbox One, Wii U, new Apple TV. 7.1 Audio - Genelec 8040 x 3, Genelec 8020 x 4, Genelec 7050B

Furniture - Sofa - Togo by Ligne Roset. Lamp - Flos by Arco. Media cabinet by Bo Concept. Table from Skanno.

Wii U with the only correct controller

PS4 with Street Fighter V TES FightStick

Late night Halo 5 setup - Elite controller, AMG K712 headphones, Schiit Magni 2

Secodary gaming setup - guest room

Our guest room sees quite a few visitors, we like having people around and everyone seems to come London every now and then. So primarily the setup is for our guests to watch Apple TV at their leisure. But I figured it'd be a nice place for some of the more niche gaming things I do less often. NES looks nicer on a small TV, as does Persona, so the guest room is perfect for that.

Kit — 48" TV - Sony KDL-48W705C. Consoles - PSTV, Analogue NT, Apple TV

Furniture — Media cabinet by Muurame. Bespoke sliding door from reclaimed wood.

Analogue NT — by far the best way to play NES games. Contains the original NES chipset, so no emulation required. Outputs crystal clear HDMI. Plays NES and Famicom games.

Persona shrine — when I'm not playing my Analogue NT, I watch the Persona animations, read the books and play the games in our guest room

Mobile gaming setup

I still have a PS Vita and N3DS somewhere, but I took these pictures today to reflect the change of gaming on the go since my last photos. iPad is probably my most used device these days. I watch films on it, listen and AirPlay music, surf Gaf, order food... I got the humongous iPad Pro at launch. I wasn't sure if I'd get accustomed to it, but now I couldn't go back down to the smaller iPads. And the new MacBook, well, it's probably my favourite computer ever. Small, light, battery lasts for an entire day, and enough juice to run InDesign and Photoshop for me.

iPad Pro and iPhone 6S Plus - playing Clash games mostly at the moment

MacBook - super thin and light, great for travel. Just enough power for simple gaming

Other rooms

To give a feel of the rest of the apartment, I'm including some of the previous pictures. Personally I enjoy seeing other people's apartments, and since a separate cribbs thread didn't really take off, I think it's nice to have them here. The rest of the apartment is very similarly designed, quite minimal and driven by functionality.

Jeff6851

Stereotypically living in my parents' basement, hopefully getting an apartment next semester. All pictures taken on an iPhone 6.

f2ncDWn.jpg

Top of my dresser. Miguel Cabrera; US Quarter Collection; Tigers, Red Wings and Gulf Shores shot glasses, Tigers hat, Toy Story alien, Mark McGwire 70th HR baseball

3zm4uC5.jpg

Just my bed

8QzwqPT.jpg

Nightstand with my remotes and glasses cases, you can see my very overpowered (well, in 2011) Dell XPS L502X underneath. I also have my Austin mug sent from my friend who moved there last year.

IwbszAs.jpg

Giant beanbag I've had for years and my cat, Indy

5Xwh0cm.jpg

An old couch we had sitting in our storage room that I decided to put in here.

tCWK2Ol.jpg

I used to work at a movie theater and got to take this home

P2FpWtd.jpg

This too

L5TcT8m.jpg

Electric acoustic Yamaha guitar

XiGWMdr.jpg

Electric Laguna guitar

uQyElsK.jpg

Gaming PC: HAF 912 case, EVGA GeForce 560 Ti, i5 2500K @ 4.0GHz, Asus P8P67 Deluxe, 4GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3, 860 GB HDD, Corsair TX650

j7w2FgK.jpg

Monitor is nothing special, max 1600x900

CLFbSJr.jpg

Filing cabinet with all my school stuff, on top I have a globe, Gameboy Advance SP w/ Oracle of Ages, a defective stick of 4 GB RAM, blank CDs and an Xbox 360 controller

lLSW5Gy.jpg

Record player with Gregory Alan Isakov's This Empty Northern Hemisphere. Part of a coloring by my niece

cD7mW6l.jpg

Xbox One, soon to be replace by a PS4. Wii U maybe to be replaced by an NX???

kmRT4e5.jpg

32" Vizio

Boq8lju.jpg

A bunch of high definition stills from the first six Star Wars movies

qgeunOK.jpg

A lot of my books, ran out of room so I keep others in the closet

ggxaIMf.jpg

TV shows

NH30AHt.jpg

Movies

NNs9oO7.jpg

This Empty Northern Hemisphere signed by Gregory Alan Isakov (met almost a year ago), Arya Stark and Vader

I1TNzHV.jpg

All my shoes

xBGs2PJ.jpg

Moving to the other room, collection of games from past consoles

hgh6Ltl.jpg

lNYoiTC.jpg

Ran out of room

NqUMqTn.jpg

Old 32" 4:3 TV

kymuCDP.jpg

N64 and launch Wii, Xbox 360 and PS2 are being lent to a friend

So there you have it

entremet

Good stuff as always, Chitta.

No more PC? I remember you were a big Alienware alpha guy.

Was curious if your were gonna do a VR rig with all the new tech.

Stereotypically living in my parents' basement, hopefully getting an apartment next semester. All pictures taken on an iPhone 6.

f2ncDWn.jpg

Top of my dresser. Miguel Cabrera; US Quarter Collection; Tigers, Red Wings and Gulf Shores shot glasses, Tigers hat, Toy Story alien, Mark McGwire 70th HR baseball

3zm4uC5.jpg

Just my bed

8QzwqPT.jpg

Nightstand with my remotes and glasses cases, you can see my very overpowered (well, in 2011) Dell XPS L502X underneath. I also have my Austin mug sent from my friend who moved there last year.

IwbszAs.jpg

Giant beanbag I've had for years and my cat, Indy

5Xwh0cm.jpg

An old couch we had sitting in our storage room that I decided to put in here.

tCWK2Ol.jpg

I used to work at a movie theater and got to take this home

P2FpWtd.jpg

This too

L5TcT8m.jpg

Electric acoustic Yamaha guitar

XiGWMdr.jpg

Electric Laguna guitar

uQyElsK.jpg

Gaming PC: HAF 912 case, EVGA GeForce 560 Ti, i5 2500K @ 4.0GHz, Asus P8P67 Deluxe, 4GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3, 860 GB HDD, Corsair TX650

j7w2FgK.jpg

Monitor is nothing special, max 1600x900

CLFbSJr.jpg

Filing cabinet with all my school stuff, on top I have a globe, Gameboy Advance SP w/ Oracle of Ages, a defective stick of 4 GB RAM, blank CDs and an Xbox 360 controller

lLSW5Gy.jpg

Record player with Gregory Alan Isakov's This Empty Northern Hemisphere. Part of a coloring by my niece

cD7mW6l.jpg

Xbox One, soon to be replace by a PS4. Wii U maybe to be replaced by an NX???

kmRT4e5.jpg

32" Vizio

Boq8lju.jpg

A bunch of high definition stills from the first six Star Wars movies

qgeunOK.jpg

A lot of my books, ran out of room so I keep others in the closet

ggxaIMf.jpg

TV shows

NH30AHt.jpg

Movies

NNs9oO7.jpg

This Empty Northern Hemisphere signed by Gregory Alan Isakov (met almost a year ago), Arya Stark and Vader

I1TNzHV.jpg

All my shoes

xBGs2PJ.jpg

Moving to the other room, collection of games from past consoles

hgh6Ltl.jpg

lNYoiTC.jpg

Ran out of room

NqUMqTn.jpg

Old 32" 4:3 TV

kymuCDP.jpg

N64 and launch Wii, Xbox 360 and PS2 are being lent to a friend

So there you have it
I live in Leander. You live in Austin>?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Good stuff as always, Chitta.

No more PC? I remember you were a big Alienware alpha guy.

Was curious if your were gonna do a VR rig with all the new tech.

Thanks!

Yeah my Alienware X51 got a bit stale with the new consoles offering nearly similar performance at lesser hassle.

But your train of thougth is right, I will be getting a VR+4K rig this year for our new flat. One reason is Oculus Rift, second is that we'll be getting an 85 inch 4K TV, both of which will benefit of a monster rig.

Here's what I'm thinking

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K
GPU: NVidia GTX 980Ti 6GB
RAM: 16GB DDR4-2133Mhz
Motherboard: Asus Z170-E
USB 3 PCI-E Interface Card
Hi-Fi style case

Although I'm on the fence on whether I should wait for the Pascal cards.

dw.og

Mother of God. This is beautiful. I bet playing on that 75" TV is incredible. Some of you guys are so rich. How do you like the 12" MacBook? Is that your primary laptop? Also, what type of LEDs do you have behind the rows of wood above your desk? They look really nice.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Mother of God. This is beautiful. I bet playing on that 75" TV is incredible. Some of you guys are so rich. How do you like the 12" MacBook? Is that your primary laptop? Also, what type of LEDs do you have behind the rows of wood above your desk? They look really nice.

Thanks! Yeah I love playing on the 75", we figured a few years back that we spend so much time looking at the screen in our living room that investing in a nice one is justified. It doesn't feel that big anymore, I'm quite looking forwards to the 85" they've promised to throw in for free for our next flat.

MacBook, absolutely love it. I travel almost every week, so it's really great in airplanes. You can fit a G&T next to it on an airplane tray. When I'm on the road it's my primary computer, but I do have an iMac for times when I am in the studio.

The LEDs are just an off the shelf cheap strip. In retrospect they are a bit too bright and a bit too cold, I think.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Vnpwnh6.jpg
My Main Gaming PC
Ah, X71 :)

I am actually looking into buying this case in the next 2 or so months. It is fully modular and you can remove pretty much anything in the upper section to free some space for robust water cooling system, not to mention that there's also a large window through which you can see all the components. If there's one thing I don't like about this case, it's the very basic design of the front section, but besides that it's great.

As for my gaming setup, there's really not that much has changed from last year, well, besides that I bought TV storage unit, put together a new Media Center PC primarily for music and movies on Blu-ray + replaced Cooler Master Seidon 120V VER.2 and bought Thermaltake Water 3.0. Extreme S which is by a mile better than updated Seidon 120V in terms of cooling capabilities and now I can finaly start to OC my 4790K (^_^)

(click to enlarge)

This post has been quite a while in the making, I just never got around taking new pictures of our flat after the ones I posted in 2012.

A lot has happened since - new consoles arrived, new TVs, iPad gaming became a thing... Just to mention a few.

Overall, the design philosophy of our flat has been that we don't like physical things, so we want our home to be as clutter free as possible. We don't have physical CDs, films or games, and the only physical books we have are coffee table style art books. So our apartment was always designed around the idea that we wouldn't collect stuff, that we'd use that money rather digitally, or to buy experiences instead. The form of the apartment follows function. Everything is as comfortable as possible, and there is a place for everything. We've used as high quality fittings and furnture as possible for the few things we have. A lot of the things in our apartment have been originally recommended by Gaf, from games to consoles, headphones to fitness gear.

Now, we have put the flat on the market as we'll move to a new build as I intend to go full Harvey Specter / Don Draper with skyline views. So apologies for this post being ridiculously long, wanted to get this all just posted now.

Main Gaming Setup - living room

When we redid our flat, we designed the living room around media and games. A custom wall was built behind the TV, routing 7.1 cabling around and over to the ceiling. Back then it looked like Kinects and sensor bars were going to be all the rage, so we did a cut out in the wall for them. Fortunately it will finally come to use with VR. All the gaming consoles, Apple TV and the AV amp are inside the white cabinet, out of sight. I don't own a single physical game, which is awesome. Any game can be played at any time. PS4 and Wii U have larger HDDs for that reason.

The living room has a Genelec 7.1 system, which I must say is one of our best purchases. They are the same speakers used to mix most of the games and films we play, and some of the big music as well. They work very well in medium sized rooms where the listening spot is well defined. Their sound is absolutely phenomenal, they never become jarring, no matter how loud they are.

Kit - 75" TV - Samsung UE75ES9000. AV amp - Yamaha RX-A1020. Consoles - PS4, Xbox One, Wii U, new Apple TV. 7.1 Audio - Genelec 8040 x 3, Genelec 8020 x 4, Genelec 7050B

Furniture - Sofa - Togo by Ligne Roset. Lamp - Flos by Arco. Media cabinet by Bo Concept. Table from Skanno.

Wii U with the only correct controller

PS4 with Street Fighter V TES FightStick

Late night Halo 5 setup - Elite controller, AMG K712 headphones, Schiit Magni 2

Secodary gaming setup - guest room

Our guest room sees quite a few visitors, we like having people around and everyone seems to come London every now and then. So primarily the setup is for our guests to watch Apple TV at their leisure. But I figured it'd be a nice place for some of the more niche gaming things I do less often. NES looks nicer on a small TV, as does Persona, so the guest room is perfect for that.

Kit — 48" TV - Sony KDL-48W705C. Consoles - PSTV, Analogue NT, Apple TV

Furniture — Media cabinet by Muurame. Bespoke sliding door from reclaimed wood.

Analogue NT — by far the best way to play NES games. Contains the original NES chipset, so no emulation required. Outputs crystal clear HDMI. Plays NES and Famicom games.

Persona shrine — when I'm not playing my Analogue NT, I watch the Persona animations, read the books and play the games in our guest room

Mobile gaming setup

I still have a PS Vita and N3DS somewhere, but I took these pictures today to reflect the change of gaming on the go since my last photos. iPad is probably my most used device these days. I watch films on it, listen and AirPlay music, surf Gaf, order food... I got the humongous iPad Pro at launch. I wasn't sure if I'd get accustomed to it, but now I couldn't go back down to the smaller iPads. And the new MacBook, well, it's probably my favourite computer ever. Small, light, battery lasts for an entire day, and enough juice to run InDesign and Photoshop for me.

iPad Pro and iPhone 6S Plus - playing Clash games mostly at the moment

MacBook - super thin and light, great for travel. Just enough power for simple gaming

Other rooms

To give a feel of the rest of the apartment, I'm including some of the previous pictures. Personally I enjoy seeing other people's apartments, and since a separate cribbs thread didn't really take off, I think it's nice to have them here. The rest of the apartment is very similarly designed, quite minimal and driven by functionality.

This is the most beautiful thing I've seen in any of these threads. Truly inspiring stuff.

I wish I wasn't a student. I live a comparatively luxurious life compared to many of my peers, but it takes two full time jobs on top of 15 credit hours.

entremet

Just remember to remove image tags when quoting, guys.

It helps with bandwidth for those with caps and also makes it easier on mobile devices.

kenmid

Ah, X71 :)

I am actually looking into buying this case in the next 2 or so months. It is fully modular and you can remove pretty much anything in the upper section to free some space for robust water cooling system, not to mention that there's also a large window through which you can see all the components. If there's one thing I don't like about this case, it's the very basic design of the front section, but besides that it's great.

As for my gaming setup, there's really not that much has changed from last year, well, besides that I bought TV storage unit, put together a new Media Center PC primarily for music and movies on Blu-ray + replaced Cooler Master Seidon 120V VER.2 and bought Thermaltake Water 3.0. Extreme S which is by a mile better than updated Seidon 120V in terms of cooling capabilities and now I can finaly start to OC my 4790K (^_^)

(click to enlarge)

yea. I love this case you can do and put pretty anything in it. I'm eventually going to do a water cooling because the case is so big. I agree with you it's not the best looking case and some of the material is made cheap but I have no regrets

Randy5554

Couple questions. What TV stand is that? How big is your TV? What's the height of those speakers?
The TV stand is the Besta Burs unit from Ikea (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30269129). I have my Xbox One and Wii U in the center compartment above the receiver, and I open that swinging door when I play either system as a precaution to make sure there's enough airflow to prevent overheating.

The TV is the 50 inch Sony KDL50W800B, and the speakers are approximately 33 to 34 inches high.

Top Bottom