• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your RETRO Gaming Setup

RedSquare

Picked up a Standesign TV stand on the 24th, and finished painting this morning. Couldn't wait for paint to fully dry...
khaXHY_ujXoITQJII4sw25XJ7_86lrqfDUpnByiQLT5dpPq6rXUxVO3nm1-v0sUTcvsztR94o2dRw5id3CHk-6PvI5XZj4u4qilmH8zzBFO2uokLMWaNuc6FCHVj4n5V3GpWHiZYBUeWrB6j9TH0x7Z5S_9eXapNG98OnYwfjrOtyQXFL-ksVJLfpLtWvxYhGsdLXpCy1_tz13tgr-w9K_VxZwYd5hCL6-JfzgfBOd8zsJCeRm3YhDc-twVi2AWtzIwQB-ztnxmUuLx_z1swvISHWj5aIFyNdRXeGR1ObPHUojLyZcLdiwD31q76Kk8Ii2uKvrkd67GED7DCdnxQFkhKAT4eKem-2CX4I9IPCmi8mVH4NMN17BVB70UF59JG8_449YbAUUBdg3B8Uoepnv5RVQoMeHTaZ3fG8KkoaTCtyUo3I7FjScKrdZine9x4tI6h7TULmK7luNKHN8P05y3AjK0g6UQaAd3yoh0cbLli-zM7Qmz5jKmNPMmyS0R5w3I7XPDU5oUvvNKqgxH-Yn8Xdapv-XNKQUkOCF_oBwqPQYAsM_cxKfovvQsC7pB28QdLPQ=w1254-h705-no

Jams775

I have a question. Does anybody still have and use their old TV from their youth when they first played those consoles? I still have mine and I prefer to use it even though it's RF only. It's from '94 and I used to play my NES, Genesis, PlayStation, N64 games on it and ended up getting a newer tube TV in like 2002 which I also still have.

It was the first TV that I had in my room and the nostalgic value of it surpasses my need for a clean signal. I was just wondering if anyone is doing the same.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I have a question. Does anybody still have and use their old TV from their youth when they first played those consoles? I still have mine and I prefer to use it even though it's RF only. It's from '94 and I used to play my NES, Genesis, PlayStation, N64 games on it and ended up getting a newer tube TV in like 2002 which I also still have.

It was the first TV that I had in my room and the nostalgic value of it surpasses my need for a clean signal. I was just wondering if anyone is doing the same.

I would do this, but when I went off to live abroad for a few years, my parents threw out almost all the perfectly-good CRTs I was using, including an Amiga monitor that was in perfect condition. T_T All those TVs had at least composite video input though...I couldn't imagine playing via R/F in this day and age.

My current retro TV is my old Samsung GXTV. The screen is so tiny, lol.

EVAWINGZERO

Neo Member
Here's my current setup! 36" Tau with Sima Color enhancer / corrector, all of this outputs to a Stream setup as well. I also use PVMs for RGB stuff and a Panasonic Plasma for Saturn / PSX era stuff.

RETRO_zpshewdi1na.jpg

Olly88

It's not just retro, but I figured I'd post it here anyway.

McZXlXp.jpg

There's a NES and Mega Drive in the right drawer, I have no room to keep them out unfortunately, but they are used quite regularly.

DYseHFR.jpg
QyooQTa.jpg

Peltz

Here is my setup. I've since moved, but the setup remains the same except with more games, a swivel under the TV, and bean bag chairs. It's simple, but I like it. Currently running through Grandia 2.

1169923_1414773038761623_808880791_n.jpg

This picture is such a classic. Idk why, but there's something so pure about it. Maybe it reminds me of my childhood?

Sorry to quote old posts. It's been a while since I've really browsed this thread and I forgot how great it is.

Peagles

So I'm moving to a bigger apartment in 2 weeks, hoping to create a little retro space and finally put some pics in this thread!

sarcoa

Moved into a new (much larger) place after having everything in boxes for the last decade.

Composite setup:

Component + handhelds, and hdmi of off to the right

Out-of-focus shot of the wall 'o games

Close-up of shelf one (Nintendo, Xbox, 3DO, Jaguar)

Close-up of shelf two (Sony)

Close-up of shelf three (Saturn / Genesis)

Bottom of shelf three (Dreamcast, Sega CD)

And, finally, a fantastic ottoman we found last week

Havoc2049

I have a bunch of old PCs, but haven't figured out a good way to set them up without it looking like a middle school computer class room from the 80s. They just take up so much space and power.

Just focus on one brand or one computer. I've thought about adding an Amiga and/or a Commodore 64 to the collection, but then my game room would start to look like a retro computer lab and I don't really have the space to pull it off and make it look clean.

EVAWINGZERO

Neo Member
LOVE that PVM setup! Mine are currently stacked as I have no room for them to be in permanent spots :( One day though!

Cheers! I've owned the 20" for a couple of years and had to store it until I could do this setup. It's worth the wait trust me.

SCART switches :)))
Damn. I always thought scary switches are tiny things that you connect to the back of your TV. I once bought a scary adaptor back in the day, was a small item that connected to my TV and provided three scart sockets. I take it the bigger ones that you have do something extra?

Peagles

Damn. I always thought scary switches are tiny things that you connect to the back of your TV. I once bought a scary adaptor back in the day, was a small item that connected to my TV and provided three scart sockets. I take it the bigger ones that you have do something extra?

These ones are powered, have 4 inputs each, but also have composite and s video and optical audio on each input. Theoretically you could hook 4 SCART, 4 composite and 4 s-video through each switch, people have also used it for component by using the composite inputs and splitting the s-video sockets for audio, but I just use them for SCART.

So I am kind of considering doing a little addition to a man cave corner. I have a 1080i/720p CRT HDTV with hdmi that I was considering getting out of the garage. Retron 5 and CRT HDTV via hdmi still a leggy mess? I know SD CRTs are dime a dozen at the local thrift shops. Any standout performers other than Sony?

CRT is a 34" inch Panasonic. It's a beast but has fantastic picture from what I remember. Haven't used in maybe 6 years.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
This picture is such a classic. Idk why, but there's something so pure about it. Maybe it reminds me of my childhood?

Sorry to quote old posts. It's been a while since I've really browsed this thread and I forgot how great it is.

Those Sony Trinitron TVs are so eponymous with the 90s; I love it.

I don't have the space for one right now, but once I get my own place I'm getting one in the ballpark of 32 inches. I keep running into them at Thrift Stores, but they never seem to stick around for long.

My first pic in this thread. This setup is FAR from complete but I'm far enough along that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. What you're seeing is the short end of a storage shelf. When I had to pack up my retro stuff when my daughter was born three years ago, I put my consumer Trinitron on the shelf in this spot. Later I removed a box from the end of the shelf and realized the screen was perfectly framed and the shelf could hold a couple consoles. So after coming to terms with the fact that there's just no damn room for this shit upstairs where it's more comfortable, I just dove into making a space here.

The larger BVM on the bottom left will eventually become my main screen. I'll be going from a 24 in screen with the Trinitron to a 19 in but ... RGB. :)

One more thing - I'm using the middle seat from my minivan as a chair. It's actually kind of nice.

Balb

I haven't gotten around to making a nice setup for my retro games, but it seems like it's tough to make a nice looking setup that allows you to easily swap cartridges/discs if you have a bunch of top loading consoles due to the lack of vertical space.

Peltz

finally got some shots together of my setup! living room could use some dusting/wire management, but there it is, haha

Is that a 14" PVM?

P.S. Woah.. the SCART cables. I like that you just display them all naked like that. Intense.

P.P.S. I love the diversity of your collection. Fantastic taste in games dude. Reminds me of my collection but more far more balanced and even more diverse. Looks like a cool place to play.

IrishNinja

forgot to mention: up to last gen, all systems are modded for region-free, and most disc-based ones for CD/DVD-R backups as well. everything's setup for RGB, except for DC (VGA/RGB) and GC (component), with good XRGB profiles on the ready as well! rounding off my everdrive collection for all the cart-based systems was my last big push, so i'm pretty happy right now.

only hardware i'm looking at in the next year or so (barring nintendo's next) is whenever kevtris does that FPGA thing for Neo-Geo/hopefully some MAME stuff!

Is that a 14" PVM?

P.S. Woah.. the SCART cables. I like that you just display them all naked like that. Intense.

P.P.S. I love the diversity of your collection. Fantastic taste in games dude. Reminds me of my collection but more far more balanced and even more diverse. Looks like a cool place to play.

it is indeed! donated by a videophile friend, it's calibrated so i dont mess with the settings - still working on getting a slight purple hue out of the top left corner, i imagine proximity to the receiver & cables isn't helping, but it's the best i can do with the current space.

yeah, the SCART corner could be prettier, but i like em accessible. if you can see, i printed out system logos to fix to the top of each one so there's no question about what's what!

and thanks a lot! i'm a sega fan but ive got love for quality on any format, and adore AA/b-tier games too, haha. my roommate's got a ton of OG xbox/PC stuff to compliment the holes i have in those libraries! and yeah man, i put the lights on at night to give it an arcadey feel, need to do a local retro gaming night out here again soon

On a picture spree lately, Irish, get a new camera? Either way, looking good.

thanks man! and my girl's a videographer, so i get access to better stuff than just my phone now, haha

Irish we need to set up a time for when I come over and alphabetize your collection because right now your pictures are giving me a twitch.
LLShC.gif

Looking great though, I've got a very similar scart set up, just all of them bunched together at a point. Damn those scart selectors being so expensive.

(you have no idea how much Happy Console Gamer's videos drive me crazy with his just insane non-organized non-alphabetized mishmash of a collection on his bookshelves behind him)

Espo83

I bought a CSY 2100 Clone which has caused me to start reorganizing everything. Most of my games are in boxes or tubs right now to keep them out of the way until I get new shelves.

m2Q0HuL.jpg

finally got some shots together of my setup! living room could use some dusting/wire management, but there it is, haha

Wow, Irish, I just poured over your photos! You have an excellent collection (though I'm taking your word for it with some of the unreadable Japanese Saturn/NTSC PS1 cases, heh), and I'm jealous that you have all your consoles set up and surrounding your TV. Great stuff!

IrishNinja

Irish we need to set up a time for when I come over and alphabetize your collection because right now your pictures are giving me a twitch.
LLShC.gif

Looking great though, I've got a very similar scart set up, just all of them bunched together at a point. Damn those scart selectors being so expensive.

(you have no idea how much Happy Console Gamer's videos drive me crazy with his just insane non-organized non-alphabetized mishmash of a collection on his bookshelves behind him)

oh yeah, his stuff is just a mess, haha...and yeah, gave up on researching quality SCART switches forever ago.

again, i totally alphabetize my vinyl, i just can't with games! forever now, i put em in order of genre (mostly), and then in order of my preference, so i can have my drunken High Fidelity reranking moments all the time, haha

Wow, Irish, I just poured over your photos! You have an excellent collection (though I'm taking your word for it with some of the unreadable Japanese Saturn/NTSC PS1 cases, heh), and I'm jealous that you have all your consoles set up and surrounding your TV. Great stuff!

thanks man! forgot, here's better shots of the jewel cases

BTails

IrishNinja inspired me... I finally got off my lazy butt and took some (phone) pics of my setup. Here's the main view:

From left to right:
-On top: Receiver, Framemeister, Cable Box, HD-DVD Player, Sega Genesis Model 1 + 32x (Sega CD is under the weather currently)
-Top row: Analogue NT, SNES, NES (Still on display, but replaced), N64, PSX, PS2, PS3, Saturn.
-Bottom row: Gamecube, Wii, Cupboard with power bars/switch, Cupboard with handhelds, Xbox, Xbox 360, ANOTHER HD-DVD player, Dreamcast

Here's from the other angle:

Note the Mario calendar on the pillar. Also, the TV isn't that washed out... Just blame my iPhone.

In the corner, I have a bar, complete with glasses, bottles of whisky, a beer fridge, wine cooler and rack. GO FLAMES GO! Also, my cat joined the party.

The couch, plus the first stack of games. Metal Gear series gets its own shelf. My copy of MGS is signed by Cam Clarke (Liquid Snake), who I met an an expo last year.

CD collection, plus most of my Nintendo games. The small shelf features PS1, Dreamcast, DS and miscellaneous games. The two tall shelves host every
existing
episode of Doctor Who, going back to 1963.

Not pictured is the other corner of my basement, which includes board games, my turntable and vinyl collection.

IrishNinja

nice, clean setup man! the MGS shelf is class, that really liquid's autograph? also, the shelves you use for your consoles really works, excellent cable management!

I do. My TV and all of the systems are the same ones I was playing on in the 90's.

BTails

nice, clean setup man! the MGS shelf is class, that really liquid's autograph? also, the shelves you use for your consoles really works, excellent cable management!

Thanks! My SCART cables are all hidden, but also loose like yours. Need to add some SCART switches, and some more retro art on the wall as well, my Phantasy Star 3 poster is lonely!

And yeah, Cam Clarke was in town last year. Most people in line to get an autograph were Turtles fans, but a few of us in line had Metal Gear stuff to sign. He did the voice for the guy in front of me, so insane. MGS is my favourite game of all time, I would love to get David Hayter to sign the front as well.

Top Bottom