• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your RETRO Gaming Setup

CrazyHorse

Am I the only one who thinks that these pics don't seem retro? They feel modern. Maybe because the consoles are so clean and look good?

Maybe it's because what is considered retro in gaming is actually not that old?

Okay I realised what it is: The other things in the room are not retro. I noticed that some of the latter pics looked retro because of the furniture.

Xbudz

xQD0OpT.jpg

No matter what the setup, we all have retro gaming in common :)

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
It's a source of great regret for me that I picked up a Pikachu N64 back when TRU was clearing them out, when there were gold N64s there for a few dollars more. Pikachu's a nice conversation piece and all, but that gold is sexy as hell. Best looking N64 by far.

Also regretful: A roommate a couple moves ago had been urging me to take his nice little 32" Trinitron off his hands, but I had nowhere to put it right away and he ended up just tossing it. Guh.

Rich!

Just moved everything into a new setup getting ready for the framemeister when I order it later this month. Everything is 60hz and rgb modded.

Xo47nxUh.jpg

Gjce18vh.jpg

Right now I've got everything connected to my HDTV via RGB scart - that's the cable in the middle that shouldn't be there (tv has a direct input for it, as I'm in the UK). It's not great but it's good enough for now:

v9H0Dm0l.jpg

HL4w7FLl.jpg

Damax

Neo Member
Here's some older pics of my game room:

GameRoom1.jpg

The TV is a Sony XBR960 which, in my opinion, is one of (if not the) best CRT TVs out there and I've got everything hooked up via the best possible cables available for each console via multiple system selectors.
I have a US Gamecube, JP Panasonic Q, US Wii, US PS2 Slim, and JP PS2 Slim hooked up under the TV.
Also, I've completely re-organized the the games on that shelf since I took this picture - that entire shelf is all Nintendo games now. :)

TowerofPower1.jpg

Here's what one of my friends nick-named the 'Tower of Power' with the majority of my consoles.
I have my NES & SNES on the Nintendo shelf and the Virtual Boy store display I got at Blockbuster back in the day on top.

Here are a few close-ups of the lower stands.
TowerofPower3.jpg

TowerofPower4.jpg

I can't think of any major changes I've made to this console line-up other than swapping out the Neo Geo CD (which I still have) for a Neo Geo X dock and swapping the N64 with a Jungle Green variant.
Oh and my JP Saturn (which you can partially see behind the TG-16) and my Master System are tucked away behind the other systems.

Wow I've never seen anyone else have that Mario display, weird knowing there is more out there than just mine. I still have the wheels on mine lol.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So many awesome setups in this thread!

Btw, I have a slightly related question. I am going to hang my tv on the wall (finally), and is there anything in particular to think about when doing that? Thinking about the height it should be in and things like that.

cjlove72

Neo Member
I'm not a huge fan of pinball machines but I want to build this bad.

Hi Rothgar, I'm exactly the same.

I never had much interest in playing on real pinball tables...but I saw a Virtual Pinball table on YouTube when I was researching how to build my MAME cabinet and I knew then and there that I had to build one...and a year later I did :)

Herne

ks64c.png

Due to space, this is what it's been reduced to. My Amiga 1200, C128 and C64G are away in storage.

Edit - Damn Dropbox

Khaz

Due to space, this is what it's been reduced to. My Amiga 1200, C128 and C64G are away in storage.

So cool. What are you using to load programs in your C64?

I'd love to get a C64 myself but all their peripherals were proprietary and incompatible with stuff from other computers. You need a special fan-made adapter to use a standard cassette player, and I don't even know if similar adapters exist to use 3.5 or 5.25 drives.

Just moved everything into a new setup getting ready for the framemeister when I order it later this month. Everything is 60hz and rgb modded.

Xo47nxUh.jpg

Gjce18vh.jpg

Right now I've got everything connected to my HDTV via RGB scart - that's the cable in the middle that shouldn't be there (tv has a direct input for it, as I'm in the UK). It's not great but it's good enough for now:

v9H0Dm0l.jpg

HL4w7FLl.jpg
Nice setup, Rich. Where's the GC? I see a Wavebird.

Also, is your TV a 1080p set? I think I've heard on here that Framemeister looks better on 720p sets. I probably wouldn't notice the difference though. I'd like to see how the image looks stretched on your screen and not in 4:3. I like to play full screen.

Rich!

Nice setup, Rich. Where's the GC? I see a Wavebird.

Also, is your TV a 1080p set? I think I've heard on here that Framemeister looks better on 720p sets. I probably wouldn't notice the difference though. I'd like to see how the image looks stretched on your screen and not in 4:3. I like to play full screen.

It's a 1080p set, but I don't have a framemeister yet. That's the image my tv displays when consoles are connected via the standard RGB scart socket at the back.

And my GameCube is hiding somewhere else...the wavebird is for my N64!

SteHitch

Neo Member
Some real nice setups in here. Only just recently got settled into our new house and managed to claim the small bedroom as my games room so pretty happy with that. I spent all weekend sorting it all out and while it certainly isn't perfect it is a modest little setup. I have ended up selling around 2/3 of my entire collection over the past year in order to downsize and it is a good job I did. All controllers and handhelds are in the drawers and the PVM is for all the old consoles with a Big Bertha beanbag to relax on while playing. I don't tend to use the PC for much so the position isn't the best but fine if I wanna quickly browse/download/record gameplay etc. Luna (my kitten) loves to sleep across the keyboard as you can see, always the most awkward places! Sorry for the quality of the images, seems the Z1 had a better camera than the Z3 somehow :S

2MCXo1M.jpg

bYpgr7c.jpg

jKFtiXk.jpg

CxmmBzW.jpg

5B3aq8x.jpg

5wFXTT8.jpg

7qrJOp9.jpg

q28v1T4.jpg

Herne

So cool. What are you using to load programs in your C64?

I'd love to get a C64 myself but all their peripherals were proprietary and incompatible with stuff from other computers. You need a special fan-made adapter to use a standard cassette player, and I don't even know if similar adapters exist to use 3.5 or 5.25 drives.

I use the 1541 Ultimate II, which is a fantastic little device. The Ultimate II+ looks even better.

Not many used standard cassette players, probably because the Commodore C2N 1530/1 datasettes were very cheap, and a bit different, in that the computer could control the unit itself (rather than having to press play and pause yourself). Not sure about adapters for drives, but they too were different in that they were "intelligent" drives - they had their own cpu and rom, unlike the "dumb" drives in most other computers of the time. Commodore drives also used GCR (Group Code Recording), which made them incompatible with more standard formats of the day, such as MFM (Wozniak also used this for the Apple II's disk system).

So, like you said, mostly proprietary peripherals. But it's relatively simple and cheap to get a setup going these days - get a cheap SD2IEC , get an SD card loaded with software and you're away.

Heero5

Can anyone recommend any furniture for a 20inch CRT? I'm seeing PVMs and regular CRTs sitting nicely in the pictures, yet anything I find is just barely not deep (or sturdy) enough.

Any help is appreciated, thanks Retro-GAF!

SteHitch

Neo Member
Can anyone recommend any furniture for a 20inch CRT? I'm seeing PVMs and regular CRTs sitting nicely in the pictures, yet anything I find is just barely not deep (or sturdy) enough.

Any help is appreciated, thanks Retro-GAF!

Are you in the US or UK?

Bought mine from B&Q in the UK, as my PVM is 20 inch and needed a deep unit for it to sit comfortably. Maybe a little too comfortably as there is about 0.5-1cm clearance on either side but it will do.

Heero5

Are you in the US or UK?

Bought mine from B&Q in the UK, as my PVM is 20 inch and needed a deep unit for it to sit comfortably. Maybe a little too comfortably as there is about 0.5-1cm clearance on either side but it will do.
I'm in the US so the B&O stand may be a little tough for me. It's interesting that the stand only offers and extra 1cm. Compared to what I'm currently using the B&O stand sounds like a dream.

SteHitch

Neo Member
I'm in the US so the B&O stand may be a little tough for me. It's interesting that the stand only offers and extra 1cm. Compared to what I'm currently using the B&O stand sounds like a dream.

Ah, okay then.

Yeah the units I have are more like a wardrobe sized units. I just took the backs out so I could actually get all the wires down behind and easily access the back of the PVM when I need to. Fits a treat. Maybe there is something similar in the US?

Heero5

Ah, okay then.

Yeah the units I have are more like a wardrobe sized units. I just took the backs out so I could actually get all the wires down behind and easily access the back of the PVM when I need to. Fits a treat. Maybe there is something similar in the US?
I've had some fair luck with Prepac CRT tv stands that I got new on Amazon a few years back. Problem is that Prepac stand is massive for a 20in PVM and really dosnt offer much in the way of console space.

Thank you for all the advice!

Boylamite

We just finished our basement which is the dedicated modern and retro game room. It's still messy, and I need to adjust the positioning of the TV but I am happy with how it's coming along.

Apologies for the crappy cell pics. Resizing them made them look worse, too. I don't often post images here :p

Here's everything: The left is where my PS3/4 WiiU and 360 are hooked up. I had ethernet ports installed in the wall where I'm also running everything through a 4 way hdmi splitter which runs to my PC set up (not pictured here).
BKYiv7q.jpg

Here's my retro station. Not pictured here are the PS1 and 3DO (which is in the first pic). I'm relatively new to collecting older stuff - been focusing on NES for the time, but there's a smattering of other games here too. I store the games for some of the disc based systems with the modern stuff. Everything is hooked up, but all through composite. No fancy RGB modding (yet!)
VFbpBFZ.jpg

I'm rocking this setup, it works really well for my small apartment!

DJPv7oA.jpg

You can make out the RGB modded SNES Mini and Sega CDX on the left here, and some MVS and Dreamcast games on the right.

mXlGHKe.jpg

SNES, SuFami, Saturn, and Genesis games here:

qpm6hnB.jpg

New002

Re-posting from the gaming setup thread. No CRT so I have to make do with the HDTV. I've tried to switch the old consoles to VGA/Component/S-video where possible.

Been working on the den space in my apartment over the past few days so figured I'd share! Please excuse the noisy photos. It's a low light area. Old look quoted above, new below!

Looking in:
28024258693_e12d9cbcd2_b.jpg

To the right:
28640451425_542d1c90d2_b.jpg

To the left:
28640453095_2834deccf9_b.jpg

Messing around with the panorama setting on my phone:
28024256173_122d50402d_b.jpg

New002

^nice! love the twin stick!

Thanks! There's another one hiding at the bottom of that bookshelf of controllers that has been modded with 360 pads and some extra push buttons on the back. I had to pause for a sec because I used to own an actual twin stick for Dreamcast but sold it years ago. Kinda regret that...but I'd like to think it went to a better home. I wasn't using it at all :(

Re-posting from RetroGAF Unite:

Overview shot:

My setup is a bit different from most of yours. I don't keep everything hooked up at once; I've mentioned before but I just swap out consoles. The way that works is by default, most systems stay disconnected on the left:

Then I have two system bays under the TV behind the IKEA doors, backs cut out for airflow (excuse the rats nest behind, it's not easy to cable manage this stuff and it's usually hidden by the doors):

I've set this up so that systems can share cables as much as possible This way I don't need to swap cords so much, I don't need to own as many high quality cords, and I can minimize interference.

On the left, PS1, PS2, J-PS2, Saturn, Dreamcast, Wii. Wii really only shares a decent-quality component cable with PS2 but I didn't have another great spot for it... otherwise everything else shares a power cable, and the PS systems can share AV cables. So, I can swap out the Wii for a Saturn pretty easily:

On the right, Famicom, Super Famicom, N64, GameCube, and Genesis. Famicom, Genesis, and SuFami can share a power cord, and of course the Nintendo systems can all use the same AV cord. The GC is really only used for Game Boy Player. Once again, it's a snap to swap the SuFami for the Fami:

In effect, I have all cartridge games on the right, and disc games on the left. I find this a pretty nice separation. The benefit of this is less swapping cables at the FM. Usually this console swapping out works out great, the only case where it doesn't is when I want to play 2 games on-and-off at the same time in the same bay... doesn't happen so often though.

I also have a bin full of controllers and accessories:

As well as a door on the far right for newer systems, which just stay hooked up, along with a PC next to all this:

A 3DS shrine charge center (not pictured: 3 other 3DSes):

For games I currently have on two IKEA billy shelves. I planned on getting more but it turns out I don't have as many games as I thought, and I had to fill space on these shelves with Gunpla boxes. I need to make more space for a few more SuFami games so... this is going to need to change soon.

I like to use my limited set of game boxes as decorations at the back of the shelf, mostly to keep them out of the way and undisturbed while still using that art:

Fami/SuFami/N64 games are all sorted lexicographically. I'm not too keen on making end labels, but at least with this system I can binary search and find games pretty quick.

Game Boy / Handheld stuff is sprawling out. I've mentioned before but I prefer to keep my GB games loosely sorted in small stacks. I'm kinda considering the nail polish shelf thing, but this is fine for now.

Bonus glory shot of dat RGB*:

*I lied, s-video-4-lyfe.

No that's via the framemeister. I use s-video for the Nintendo syatems since a) it's easier to just have 1 cable hooked up and in use among the 4 systems with this setup and b) my RGB cable had some interference issues that I don't see on my other cheap cables, and the NTSC encoding in the s-video cable really helps a lot with avoiding interference. Plus I had a few spare nice quality OEM s-video cables that I found at HardOff this year for 100 yen.

I actually stopped using my GC D-terminal cable and run that over s-video for GBI. It's nice to not need to tear out that D-terminal cable at the FM side ever and I don't really notice the quality difference.

Somewhat recently, I decided I wouldn't have all my systems out at once, like I used to at my old place.. I never really got settled into this place, thinking I'd move again soon, so I've only had my AVfamicom hooked up rather than my whole system collection.

So what I've done is, I purchased a short plastic tote for each system. In the tote, would be the system, wires, and controllers.
Now, if I decide to play a certain game system, all I have to do is bring it out, hook it up, and play da games. What I like best about this option is that each system is ready to go if I want to take it to a friend's house, in it's own little container.

Ultimately, if I had a permanent home, I'd probably have everything hooked up at once, in a game room, but I feel this solution keeps things uncluttered and fairly painless when wanting to play a specific system.

Here's me cross-posting from the "Show us your gaming setup: 2016 Edition" thread, because my gaming setup is also my RETRO setup.

This is my setup in my apartment here. The vast majority of my stuff is still back home in New Zealand (in plastic bins), but here's what I have so far:

IMG_1447.jpg

This is my TV cabinet. I have a Sony 32" W700B, my i7 6700k/GTX 970 PC I built, a PS4, Super Famicom, Ceramic White 40GB original model PS3, a 8GB Wii U, a NTSC-J Pure White 360 (this one only came out in a 4GB Kinect bundle in Japan, but I put a 250GB HDD in there), a NTSC-J Dreamcast (my first non-blue swirl), White Saturn, and then (unfortunately) beneath the cabinet is my Megadrive. Now, I didn't stuff it under there in shame because it broke the colour theme going on, but simply because the Saturn and Megadrive juuuust won't fit on the same shelf together. :(

IMG_1448.jpg

The Megadrive, Super Famicom, Saturn and Dreamcast are all plugged into a Bandridge SCART selector, which in turn is plugged into a Framemeister. I'm using the Toro with my Dreamcast to get 480p through RGB to the Framemeister.

IMG_1329.jpg

Here's my bookshelf with all the games I've accumulated so far! I'm a bit mortified that I can already fill the shelf, and I dread to think what I'll do when I eventually get all the games from back home here.

Jockel

I'm amazed at how many people own a Framemeister! Way to go, guys!
If I ever manage to tidy up my setup and hide all the cables I might post pictures, too.

BTails

This is my favourite thread to be bumped, I love looking at everyone's sweet gear. I plan on posting an update to my setup as I've done some cool things in the past week, but I'm just waiting for a couple extra pieces to arrive in the mail (hopefully this week).

Also, I want to do a bit more cable management (Sorry Peagles!).

IrishNinja

haha - cable management can be cool, i'm just with peagles on this not being some weird tabris thread where dudes compete to make their shit look like the most sterile apple commercial out there. the regular "show your setup" thread had too many people who were clearly bothered by seeing too many systems/games, out of either living in NY boxes or self-loathing or something, i dunno. for me though, if you got space, flaunt it! you're already a weirdo who looks for PVM's at goodwill, might as well embrace that shit

Peagles

haha - cable management can be cool, i'm just with peagles on this not being some weird tabris thread where dudes compete to make their shit look like the most sterile apple commercial out there. the regular "show your setup" thread had too many people who were clearly bothered by seeing too many systems/games, out of either living in NY boxes or self-loathing or something, i dunno. for me though, if you got space, flaunt it! you're already a weirdo who looks for PVM's at goodwill, might as well embrace that shit

Yeh don't make me go muss up my cables and shit to prove a point. Or do I even have to?

I actually still need to post my "new" setup since I moved it to the lounge. Still isn't operational cos I need new power boards after the other one blew up but apart from that it's all ready to go!

I can understand some cable management. I did a little with my setup, just bunching and velcro tying bundles of wires together. Those folks who like get everything perfect and like turning at right angles and just looking like a circuit board almost, I don't know how you do it. I don't have the patience for that.

Though the GF and I are considering/planning to build our own cabinets/cubbies for my setup, that would have a backing so you don't see the wires. Though that isn't the main focus of it, and its more I've basically run out of space with the current set up.

eXistor

Hear, hear!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So, as usual, my retro setup and modern setup are one and the same. I keep a nice selection of consoles on the shelf at all times but swap them around when need be.

ILZb.png

So, as usual, my retro setup and modern setup are one and the same. I keep a nice selection of consoles on the shelf at all times but swap them around when need be.

ILZb.png
Real nice, I see you have a nice Sega spacestation setup and if I recall you did a Saturn Quake video: You need to do the Virtua Racing ultimate comparison!

Genesis version, 32X version, Saturn version and PS2 remake version!!

DSC_0335_zpsolkru15n.jpg

Nothing fancy or sleek here:
PS1 (Regionfree), Original Xbox (softmodded with hardrive), PS4 (1TB). PS3 Slim (1TB), Dreamcast (Regionfree with GDEmu), Wii (Softmodded) and finally PS2 Slim (Region Free).

DSC_0336_zps5mvdnn0n.jpg

DSC_0337_zpscqw1zzet.jpg

May not look nice but at least it's tidy. Xbox, PS2 and Wii are all hooked up via Component.
PS3, PS4 and Dreamcast are hooked up via HDMI.
Dreamcast is using Gefen Vga to HDMI scaler.
And PS1 is using scart at the moment.

dark10x

Real nice, I see you have a nice Sega spacestation setup and if I recall you did a Saturn Quake video: You need to do the Virtua Racing ultimate comparison!

Genesis version, 32X version, Saturn version and PS2 remake version!!
Hmm...some day.

I need to finish obtaining all of these. I have it on Saturn and PS2 but never grabbed the Genesis or 32x carts. Sounds like fun, though.

eXistor

It's a royal pain to make decent pics, so if you don't mind I'll just repost pics I posted in another thread about 9 months ago.
Well here it is, my new game room. I'm actually not 100% happy with the actual photo's, so I might redo them later (later this year though). The lighting is all over the place, I shot a few pics last night and the rest this morning, so that's why the lighting looks so different per shot. I had to borrow my dad's camera, so I can't really do quick re-shoots anyway.

As far as the actual room, there's still some things left to be done; I have to hang that Mario 2 thing you see in some pics on the wall and I'm currently looking for a small couch to put in front of the gaming area.

Yes, most of those consoles are hooked up and ready to go. The red area you see behind the TV and consoles is actually a simple double wall, that's why you don't see any cables. Behind the two small (removable) doors in the bottom left are a bunch of RGB switch-boxes. It mostly workss, but it's not perfect unfortunately, the signal does get degraded if you use RGB in the 3rd or 4th switch box, so I'll have to find a solution for that. I'm also kinda looking for a better TV. Still CRT obviously but with S-video support (and maybe more than just 1 Scart/RGB input) for my US SNES and such, the rest is hooked up with RGB.

The doors are covered in old videogame ads I cut out of old EGM's. I always wanted to do something like this in my old game room, but never really had the right place for it, so I just covered up the 2 doors with them. The left door leads to the hallway and the lower-level stairs, behind the right door is the central heating unit and a few shelves where I put all my controllers (well the ones I use anyway, the rest are in totes along with hundreds of cables etc.). It's a right mess though, so I decided to not shoot it.

My more current games. I buy just as many (if not more) retro games than current ones, I always buy physical whenever possible as you can probably tell :).

My retro games, everything's alphabetized btw. I still have to catalogue my games though...someday.

My cabinets, one is obviously just Zelda stuff and the other is just a fairly random assortment of rarish and/or expensive games that I also really like (it's pretty random, games like Panzer Dragoon Saga are just in the main area instead of here, but whatevs.)

In the attic I put my boxes for CE's and newer consoles (though I didn't photograph it very well, I missed a few shots that properly show it).

In my bedroom is a ladder that leads up to the attic and right besides the ladder is a little nook where I put my Atari 2600 and Philips G7000 (Odyssey 2 in the US). I don't really sit there tbh, but I thought it was a nice little area to put those, the goatskin or whatever adds to the atmos think.

All in all I just made a few random shots, there's no real rhyme or reason to them (I'm clearly not a photographer). Here's some different angle shots.

Lastly, A quick shot of my living room. I actually spend the most time gaming here, I have my WiiU, Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 and PC hooked up in that little alcove you see to the right. Again, I just plain didn't think of shooting another angle, so you don't see my badass Ganon statue next to the TV and my beautiful framed Phantasy Star poster hanging above it. Maybe next time.

The cables are being worked on, it's a temporary thing.

If people want to see anything else (like where I put my controllers and such) I can make some quick and dirty shots with my own crummy camera.

Here's a Link to all the pics, there's a bunch of duplicates in there though, but Imgur won't let me delete them

dark10x

It's a royal pain to make decent pics, so if you don't mind I'll just repost pics I posted in another thread about 9 months ago.

That is fantastic.

Since we've moving to new countries so regularly and renting houses, I haven't been able to go all in on a setup like that. Some day.

I had a pretty good custom room back in the States, though.

Hmm...some day.

I need to finish obtaining all of these. I have it on Saturn and PS2 but never grabbed the Genesis or 32x carts. Sounds like fun, though.
Yeah, especially since the Genesis one is the only Genesis cart with a extra graphics chip inside!

Top Bottom