• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your RETRO Gaming Setup

neophyte

Neo Member
A question for those of you with the Sony studio monitors:

What are the differences between the PVM and BVM monitors? And why do you guys prefer one over the other?

Adam Blue

What are the differences between the PVM and BVM monitors? And why do you guys prefer one over the other?

BVMs tend to have higher line count so the pixels look pixel perfect. Also, this affects the scan lines and they do vary in size. I would love to have a BVM. There's a good one available in Cali but the price to get it would be too much since I have a XM29 Plus - probably the best I'm gonna go without stressing out and hunting 24/7. Plus, prices are going up.

Bobb

I keep a PS3, 360, and WiiU hooked up to the projector in a media closet (still working on that). The screen drops down in front of a smaller screen the kids play PS4 on.

I keep my PS4, XBone, and X51 system on the TV in the bedroom and just stream them to the basement.... no pictures for that, since this is about retro.

Amazing basement setup. What sound system are you using and where is your projector mounted? I can't see them in the pics.

I would love to see the rest of your setup.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=963976

Mihos

Gold Member
Is there something special about that switch box? And what is it called exactly?

Nothing special about it.. It just has a ton of inputs. I have a framemeister in there now, but haven't done much with the RGB yet... I also have a lab where I restore these things, but have a strict no modding policy on the older stuff, so RGB will be limited. Considering all of it is at the bar, if someone starts analyzing scan lines or something, I just pour them another drink... it fixes itself

Someone asked about the RF demodulator in PM. It is this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cable-TV-Tu...803?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5192e18b6b

I am hoping to get the 4 player standup mame machine from NorthCoast customs this year. I just need to figure out how I am going to get it down the stairs.

My main setup 70 inch tv. Retron 5 and PS4. I have my entire basement on philips hue color changing lighting, and a huge love sac to sit in. I like minimal with no damn wires. Only the top used games are out.
I have the big bean bag chair also... it is evil... and eats your soul. I have woken up in it so many times with last nights game still running. For the hue lighting, I have been playing with the ambilight stuff and trying to get the lights to reflect how much health I have left. Only have a few jury-rigged games that work either through the lighting control on PC (alienware) or ghetto version using Huey on android, but it is really cool when it works. Getting them to react to sound is much easier, but it isn't as cool.

Amazing basement setup. What sound system are you using and where is your projector mounted? I can't see them in the pics.

I would love to see the rest of your setup.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=963976

Maybe this weekend I will get some pictures of that. The projector is ceiling mounted the speakers are mounted in wall. The thread you linked is a better place for that. I also am looking on advice on some audio stuff, since there are various 'modes' the basement is in depending on what is going on that routes video/audio various ways and sometimes I have synching issues.

If someone has a good suggestion for a display/trophy case that I can display handhelds while still having them charge... I am shopping. I would like it to be on the side of the console shelves and would like to have it behind glass to help preventing dust. Has to be easy to get in and out of, since we use them all the time.

antibolo

Banned

BVM are the higher end "broadcast" models. They have higher horizontal pixel resolution, and usually also have modular designs where you can plug addons to have different outputs.

PVM are the regular "professional" models. They're easier to find and still better than a regular CRT TV.

Haluko

I have the big bean bag chair also... it is evil... and eats your soul. I have woken up in it so many times with last nights game still running. For the hue lighting, I have been playing with the ambilight stuff and trying to get the lights to reflect how much health I have left. Only have a few jury-rigged games that work either through the lighting control on PC (alienware) or ghetto version using Huey on android, but it is really cool when it works. Getting them to react to sound is much easier, but it isn't as cool.

Yeah I've fallen asleep in it many times as well, its the king of bean bags lol. Ive messed with huey and tried to get it to work like the old ambilight tvs. My results were mixed and was more of a hassle than its worth.

Have you ever seen this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ttCmII50nM
Its awesome only down side is you need to have a computer hooked up to it. I guess it would be ok if you were playing emulators or games on a steam box. I thought of buying one to play around with.

I keep my PS4, XBone, and X51 system on the TV in the bedroom and just stream them to the basement.... no pictures for that, since this is about retro.

What hardware/software do you use to stream down there? I'm looking for the easiest solution in similar circumstances, really.

PS1 pic for GAF setup thread:

ps1.jpg

PS1 pic for actual playtime:

PS1-upside-down.jpg

Mihos

Gold Member
What hardware/software do you use to stream down there? I'm looking for the easiest solution in similar circumstances, really.

Wireless alone wasn't cutting it, so I got these.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CB2F65O/?tag=neogaf0e-20

the 4 port goes to the X51, xbone, and PS4. I use an nvidea shield to the TV for PC and a Vita TV for the PS4. A cheap steambox could probably work also for PC, but I haven't burned that solution in enough to be sure. I started with the Netgear powerline adapters, but it was having problems... amazingly enough, they work with the Actiontec ones also. It is a 4800sq ft house, so it was a bit of a challenge.
Yeah I've fallen asleep in it many times as well, its the king of bean bags lol. Ive messed with huey and tried to get it to work like the old ambilight tvs. My results were mixed and was more of a hassle than its worth.

Have you ever seen this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ttCmII50nM
Its awesome only down side is you need to have a computer hooked up to it. I guess it would be ok if you were playing emulators or games on a steam box. I thought of buying one to play around with.

I saws those... I wonder if I could run those just using a pi?

Mercutio

PS1 pic for GAF setup thread:

ps1.jpg

PS1 pic for actual playtime:

PS1-upside-down.jpg

I'm curious what people prefer for PS1 stuff. I'm using either the official emulated games on my PS3, or my PS2 with RGB if I have the discs.

Is there any reason to use the actual PS1 instead of the PS2, image quality wise?

Khaz

Is there any reason to use the actual PS1 instead of the PS2, image quality wise?

There are a handful of games which are incompatible with the PS2. Nothing must-play imo. There is no difference in image quality either, I think you can use Component on the PS2 to display 240p PS1 stuff so it's a plus for people who can't use RGB. I believe many people use the PS1 simply because it's their original model they kept all those years.

I have both after spending the longest time with a PS2 only, and I bought the PS1 in order to have two machines to use on two screens: the PS2 is on a Widescreen CRT while the PS1 is on a 4/3 display. It allows me not to swap display every time and also not to use the 4/3 mode on the widescreen (useful mode but not the prettiest ever)

Mercutio

There are a handful of games which are incompatible with the PS2. Nothing must-play imo. There is no difference in image quality either, I think you can use Component on the PS2 to display 240p PS1 stuff so it's a plus for people who can't use RGB. I believe many people use the PS1 simply because it's their original model they kept all those years.

I have both after spending the longest time with a PS2 only, and I bought the PS1 in order to have two machines to use on two screens: the PS2 is on a Widescreen CRT while the PS1 is on a 4/3 display. It allows me not to swap display every time and also not to use the 4/3 mode on the widescreen (useful mode but not the prettiest ever)

Hmm, yeah. I don't see anything there I need, and I've got TOMBA! on my PS3 as an emulated title. Running PS2 through component on the XRGB seems to look quite good to me. I haven't had a working PS1 in ages, though I do love the design of the original. Heck, I think even the original PS1 no-stick pads work on the PS2, don't they?

baphomet

I'm curious what people prefer for PS1 stuff. I'm using either the official emulated games on my PS3, or my PS2 with RGB if I have the discs.

Well, ps3 adds a ton of lag to ps1 games as well as not looking too great. Unless youre swapping rgb for component cables with ps2, then you should just leave component hooked up for 480p. The only reason I kept my ps1 hooked up was because it always went through my framemeister in rgb.

Mercutio

Well, ps3 adds a ton of lag to ps1 games as well as not looking too great. Unless youre swapping rgb for component cables with ps2, then you should just leave component hooked up for 480p. The only reason I kept my ps1 hooked up was because it always went through my framemeister in rgb.

I'm running out of RGB slots on my switcher, unfortunately. I've only got one left and it waits for my PCE to be modded.

I guess I'll use my PS2 with Component, that seems to look pretty decent.

Peltz

I use my PS2 slim but use RGB for PS1 and 1st party Component for PS2. Yes, I actually switch cables depending on content.

Peltz

BVM are the higher end "broadcast" models. They have higher horizontal pixel resolution, and usually also have modular designs where you can plug addons to have different outputs.

PVM are the regular "professional" models. They're easier to find and still better than a regular CRT TV.

Some people have lamented that they don't like thick scanlines that a BVM would offer. They say it's not how games looked to the average consumer:

50064-compare.jpg

On the left is a BVM, on the right is an arcade Nanao 15khz chassis. PVM's are a happy medium but are closer to the right most image. As a PVM owner, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to grab a BVM.

I learnt in another thread here on Gaf that if you are playing PS1 and PS2 games on the PS2, then use:

Component for PS2 games
RGB for PS1 games

You'll get the best picture type for both then.

I use my PS2 slim but use RGB for PS1 and 1st party Component for PS2. Yes, I actually switch cables depending on content.
Edit: Just like this guy!

Khaz

Unless Component can't pass 240p or your display can't process this resolution through Component, I see no reason to switch cables.

neoflcl

Gaaah! Such great setups, everyone. I can't help but geek out a bit. :p

I just started collecting retro stuff seriously (that is, compulsively :'D) about a year ago, so I don't have as much to show as others. Also, I'm poor and live in an old, tiny apartment, so our space isn't as lavish as some of the other drool-worthy setups in this thread.

That said, here's my setup in a nutshell:
U9xgorB.jpg

Each photo has been expertly cropped to hide the more seedy aspects of my living space.
-I don't have a nifty PVM/BVM yet, but it's on my to-do list. In the meantime, I'm using this extraordinarily-average CRT for retro consoles. It's not quite the ideal TV, as there's no true RGB output and there's very few screen adjustment options. On the bright side, the screen is fairly roomy at 21", which is bigger than any PVM I could hope to afford. It also supports S-Video, and plays very nicely with Wii emulators that support 240p through component. Overall, for what it is, it does the job better than I could hope for. :p

I keep my Wii U, Gamecube and PS3 here since I use them fairly often and it'd be a pain to keep hooking and unhooking them. I've been playing a lot of Nights lately, so my Saturn is hooked up as well for the time being. (I also have my Commodore 64 sitting on the bottom since it's a bulky, yellowed eyesore and there's nowhere else to put it. :p)

Along the side of the TV stand is the Master System, PC-Engine, PSone, PS2, and Dreamcast. They're sort of tucked away for now, but I'd love to have room to display these someday! (Insert self-nagging about saving money and moving into a bigger living space here)

JaRNauo.jpg

Needless to say, my TV stand's side storage wasn't made with the Master System's hulking frame in mind.

Since there's so little room to work with, I kind of have to run a tight ship to make sure everything stays orderly. I've found that when it comes to our small living room, even a little disorder can start to look really cluttered really quickly!
9Mizdz3.jpg

"Organized."
All of my games go into this tiny cabinet... barely. I really need to get something bigger! My Saturn rests on top for easy access, as well as the Genesis-CD-32x, in all its tumorous glory.

Next to the cabinet is a series of bins full of wires, controllers, and who-knows-what, organized by brand. Sega goes on the bottom since it's filled to the brim, and putting it any higher up would probably make the entire thing fall over.

gP5RIZc.jpg

Gaah! So many wires! This is what you all came here for, right?

Above the cabinet and wires are where I shamelessly display my Nintendo consoles, as well as my boxed games.
(except Sonic 3D Blast. It's not a Wall of Shame, after all!)

9MGEEHV.jpg

I'm really putting a lot of faith in those Ikea shelves!
Also featuring: Silly-looking furnace duct hole (?) that I haven't yet gotten around to covering with a poster.

My displayed Nintendo consoles are, from left-to-right, top-to-bottom:
-Virtual Boy (with displays soon to be future-proofed by good ol' RunnerPack from the PlanetVB forums),
-SNES (Not 1CHIP, unfortunately!),
-a square-buttoned Famicom (sometimes, if you listen closely, you can hear it wheezing "Retrobrite!")
-Sharp Twin Famicom (Love this thing. The disk drive works, too, which is pretty solid evidence that God exists as far as I'm concerned. Also, there's a really tiny Twin Famicom toy next to my SNES because I'm an idiot with no concept of money management)
-My humble Nintendo 64 (My first console! Aah, I still remember playing Ocarina of Time for the first time as a tyke, and thinking "What an awesome Peter Pan game!")

And here are the games on the top shelf:
-Nights into Dreams (What the heck, this game is great! Gameplay is fast and fluid, and there's something hideously beautiful about the Saturn's polygons)
-Lunar: The Silver Star (Okay, I admit it... The shiny foil case is what made me buy it, and nothing more. Lucky for me, the actual game was good, too!)
-Ristar (If you haven't played it yet, just do it!)
-Sonic Chaos (The least-bad Sonic experience the Master System has to offer)
-Kirby's Adventure (The Japanese packaging was irresistible!)
-Super Mario Land 2 (Always my recommendation as a "My First Mario" game. Easy, but still fun!)
-Drill Dozer ("Tales from the Wal-Mart Bargain Bin")
-Jack Bros. (It's the US version, but I opted for a printed-and-folded Japanese case because the legit American one is a classic case of awful 80s-90s American Box Art.)

So there you have it! Sorry it ended up being really long-winded... I guess it was just fun to play show-and-tell! I had a lot of fun looking at everyone's setup, so keep 'em coming, if you feel like it!

brainpann

^^^^^
Sorry-didnt feel like quoting your whole post and im on my phone. BUT

You gotta start somewhere. :) you have a nice setup. Keep it up!

Madao

Compact and cool setup, but that chart just begs for me to ask: Input lag?

according to my research, the switch and splitter don't produce any lag. the Receiver doesn't either since it just passes the signal. i tested connecting the consoles directly and it was about the same (meaning, the only input lag here is from things such as the TV itself and the XRGB mini)

oh, here's apic of how i redesigned everything once i got an HDCP stripper.

Pachimari

Is it worth it hooking up my Dreamcast, PS1 and old consoles to my HDTV? Or don't I need some special box? I remember I were recommended one but it was extremely expensive.

I don't have space for an old school TV in my apartment.

Peltz

I love how that setup just casually has an N64 DD with F-Zero X Expansion in the picture....no big deal or anything.

Damn that's nice. Savor that Madao.

Why is there a WiiU, a Wii and a GC? You would only need two out of three.

(Personally I'd just go with WiiU and GC)

I would assume he or she, just likes to play on the original hardware. Or the challenge of having everything hooked up at once. I personally don't like playing Gamecube games on the Wii and Wii games on the WiiU. Just my personal preference.

Could easily make case for all 3

GC has better component video than Wii and Game Boy Player support
Wii outputs Virtual Console at proper 240p unlike WiiU.
WiiU plays current and new Nintendo games

Madao

I love how that setup just casually has an N64 DD with F-Zero X Expansion in the picture....no big deal or anything.

Damn that's nice. Savor that Madao.

oh, believe me, i did. over a thousand hours spent on it alone.

I would assume he or she, just likes to play on the original hardware. Or the challenge of having everything hooked up at once. I personally don't like playing Gamecube games on the Wii and Wii games on the WiiU. Just my personal preference.

Could easily make case for all 3

GC has better component video than Wii and Game Boy Player support
Wii outputs Virtual Console at proper 240p unlike WiiU.
WiiU plays current and new Nintendo games

here's the actual reasons:

my GC's laser is dying. it is only good enough to boot up the GB Player. GBP is the main reason i have it there.

Wii is used to play mostly GC disks thanks to BC. also, i do some speedruns and unofficial hardware is banned so i couldn't use homebrew on Wii U for that. plus, i like the scaling through the framemeister more than what the Wii U does to upscaled GC games.

Peltz

So, what's the story behind your F-Zero X Expansion/N64 DD acquisition? Did you get that from ebay?

Also, would an N64 DD run on a North American N64? I assume NA N64 is the same as the Japanese N64 other than the cart shape/tabs.

entremet

Is there something special about that switch box? And what is it called exactly?

It's an RGB Scart switch.

Most North Americans are not aware of this input since it wasn't found in our commercial TVs. It's the highest quality input for most retro consoles.

Asparagus

Most of my stuff's in storage right now but here's my current setup. Please ignore the carpet/walls. I'm supposed to be redecorating the entire room... at some point.

h5iZl9M.jpg

Dos/Windows 95/98SE PC next to my modern day machine.

OMF1udX.jpg

My console corner. Has a softmodded Wii, a soon to be replaced N64, an RGB modded NES and a mod chipped PS2 with the network addon and a 120GB HDD.

Most of my stuff's in storage right now but here's my current setup. Please ignore the carpet/walls. I'm supposed to be redecorating the entire room... at some point.

h5iZl9M.jpg

Dos/Windows 95/98SE PC next to my modern day machine.

OMF1udX.jpg

My console corner. Has a softmodded Wii, a soon to be replaced N64, an RGB modded NES and a mod chipped PS2 with the network addon and a 120GB HDD.

Is there a 3dfx Voodoo 2000 card in that 95/98 machine?

Is it worth it hooking up my Dreamcast, PS1 and old consoles to my HDTV? Or don't I need some special box? I remember I were recommended one but it was extremely expensive.

I don't have space for an old school TV in my apartment.
By and large, no, it's not worth it.

Mihos

Gold Member
Here is my retro 8-bit and 16-bit computer gaming Atari 65XE and Atari 1040STe set-up.

DSCN0254.jpg

I have a bunch of old PCs, but haven't figured out a good way to set them up without it looking like a middle school computer class room from the 80s. They just take up so much space and power.

Chinbo37

according to my research, the switch and splitter don't produce any lag. the Receiver doesn't either since it just passes the signal. i tested connecting the consoles directly and it was about the same (meaning, the only input lag here is from things such as the TV itself and the XRGB mini)

oh, here's apic of how i redesigned everything once i got an HDCP stripper.

Where did your VCR go????

Huggers

Genuine question.I don't game on pcs these days. Why would you keep around old hardware? Aren't most games playable on modern gear?

Mihos

Gold Member
Genuine question.I don't game on pcs these days. Why would you keep around old hardware? Aren't most games playable on modern gear?

I have some old Atari computers systems and commodore systems that you have to run through emulators if you want to run them on an x86. I hung on to an old Tandy 1000tx and the RGB monitor, for god knows what reason, but I am glad I did now that Radio Shack is gone.

A lot of times, at least for me, keeping the old hardware is more about the hardware, and not the games themselves.... if that makes any sense.

Top Bottom