• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shuhei Yoshida: Neo won't shorten PS4's lifecycle "PS4 is PS4"

What are you confused about?

Microsoft has said that developers can make Scorpio only games, but then turned around and said they can't. They also said that there's no reason to own a Scorpio unless you own a 4K TV, then turned around and said that developers can choose how they use the Scoprio and that they won't force 4K. So...saying that they've been clear isn't really true. The messaging isn't consistent.

These consoles are very easy to understand. Both companies have made it very clear that they arent a new generation and wont affect the original PS4/XBO in any way.

Do you want better graphics? Get a scorpio/Neo, want a more affordable console? Get a regular PS4/XBO.

Daft Punk

Banned
What are you confused about?

Microsoft has said that developers can make Scorpio only games, but then turned around and said they can't. They also said that there's no reason to own a Scorpio unless you own a 4K TV, then turned around and said that developers can choose how they use the Scoprio and that they won't force 4K. So...saying that they've been clear isn't really true. The messaging isn't consistent.

This. Now we have people in here swearing up and down that Scorpio is still a part of the Xbone family, even though the leap in architecture far surpasses a mere "revision". Oh, and they decided to reveal this 18 months in advance while also announcing a new Xbone Slim. You see where I'm going with this.

bunkitz

Really sounds like it's just a premium version then. That's good.

Scorpio doesn't sound like that, though... Was it said that all games would work across both Xbox's? I'm curious as to what its price will be, and the Neo's.

Well yeah, but the PS4 is all that's out. If they try to do more ambitious games due to the PS4.5 using something more than an upclocked Jaguar, trying to shoehorn that back into the PS4 is what my concern is.

1080p/30 isn't just a hardware checkbox, depends on what they're trying to do in a game.
Here's the thing, developers will do more ambitious games regardless of ps4 neo existence or not. Games keep looking better and better every year and you can code to the metal all you want but at some point it will hit tye ceiling of what it can do. Late ps3 lifecycle is really rough on the hardware. More and more games start having sub720p resolution, framerate issues etc. Even naughty dog start having less than ideal framerate on Last of Us.

This. Now we have people in here swearing up and down that Scorpio is still a part of the Xbone family, even though the leap in architecture far surpasses a mere "revision". Oh, and they decided to reveal this 18 months in advance while also announcing a new Xbone Slim. You see where I'm going with this.
If by " people in here" you mean Phil Spencer's exact words ... Then yeah.

So in other words im going to play the choppier version of a game of it or the frame rate wont be the best because the optimal way to play would be in the neo?
That's the case today for most non-exclusives, except it's pc instead of neo. Doesn't mean your ps4 games are any less good.

farisr

Scorpio doesn't sound like that, though... Was it said that all games would work across both Xbox's? I'm curious as to what its price will be, and the Neo's.
There were murmurs that developers were free to create scorpio exclusive games if they want to, but then Phil said they weren't.

But even with that clarification from Phil, there are still going to be Scorpio exclusive games anyways in the form of VR (as there is no indication that it's coming to the original Xbox One, and well, it frankly is a bit underpowered for something like that anyways).

Whereas for PS4/Neo. All games are going to be working on both.

Yeah, it isn't clear what will happen after Neo. Will Neo be supported into the PS5 life cycle or will it be cut off like PS3 was after PS4 launched. Sony really needs to be clear with this messaging once the Neo is actually revealed.

It's pretty clear. Neo is still a PS4. Devs are required to support base PS4 & Neo because both are seen as one platform with different entry points. PS5 will be a new generation and it will be up to devs if they want to continue to support it.

The Argus

Nope.

They always said a dev can make either a 4K Scorpio or a 1080P Scorpio game. Since day one of the official announcement. There were some misquotes and misspokes but in the end it's always been the same.

As for Scorpio only games , it remains unclear. The current PR is that they all will play the same games and use the same peripherals.

III-V

Nope.

They always said a dev can make either a 4K Scorpio or a 1080P Scorpio game. Since day one of the official announcement. There were some misquotes and misspokes but in the end it's always been the same.

As for Scorpio only games , it remains unclear. The current PR is that they all will play the same games and use the same peripherals.

Yup.

It's been a mixed message from the time of announcement.

It's pretty clear. Neo is still a PS4. Devs are required to support base PS4 & Neo because both are seen as one platform with different entry points. PS5 will be a new generation and it will be up to devs if they want to continue to support it.

And if people spend $399-$499 on this console that drops game support in 3 years, they'll be pissed and rightfully so.

I still fully expect a PS5 (or generational leap equiv) in 2019 or 2020.

I expect 1st party games will be PS5 exclusive to maximize full power (and to sell PS5) while big 3rd party games like CoD, BF, Destiny or Watch Dogs will be cross-gen with PS Neo and PS5 for 1 or 2 years like we see this gen.

So you think they should make the PS5 have all new games that don't play on the Neo 3 years after it launches? I think that's a terrible idea.

Like this gen, we'll see at least 2 years of cross-gen games until there's a bigger install base to stop supporting PS4 and Neo.

Only Sony and maybe some daring partners will drop Ps4 support on day 1, but most won't.

statham

Does it matter ? Devs can use the power any way they feel fit. Scorpio games will look better. Messaging might be off , but this should be a givin. Scorpio games will look better.

Does it matter ? Devs can use the power any way they feel fit. Scorpio games will look better. Messaging might be off , but this should be a givin. Scorpio games will look better.

You mean XB1 games will look better since there'll be no Scorpio exclusive games

spwolf

I expect 1st party games will be PS5 exclusive to maximize full power (and to sell PS5) while big 3rd party games like CoD, BF, Destiny or Watch Dogs will be cross-gen with PS Neo and PS5 for 1 or 2 years like we see this gen.

it will likely be more than 1-2 years too...

odhiex

Thanks Shuhei, for clearing things a bit up.

I really wanted a Neo, but I may not be buying it day one (at full price). Will probably wait for a cheaper price/deals, and in the meantime I will be happy to game on PS4.

Game on...!! The Last Guardian, GT Sports, etc.

onQ123

You can say it as many times as you like. Scorpio is a new generation.

Is it really? to me it seems that it isn't going to be a new generation but a ready made windows 10 multimedia computer.

More of a transition into a walled garden for PC gaming than a next generation console,

statham

Is it really? to me it seems that it isn't going to be a new generation but a ready made windows 10 multimedia computer.

More of a transition into a walled garden for PC gaming than a next generation console,

what do you think PS4 or XBO is? there is a reason why Sony came out with NEO so peeps won't jump to PC half-way through, they want to keep them in there wall garden.
Sony admitted this.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Awesome news I heard rumors of possibly having two Neo models being launched to go head to head with Scorpio.
link
http://www.gamepur.com/feature/2339...formance-ridiculously-expensive-possible.html

False rumors. There will likely only be one SKU. And that model will be competing with scorpio, but only indirectly. Sony aren't trying to retroactively upgrade just to fight a war of attrition with a piece of hardware that won't be coming out till a year later and by that time will be more expensive than their own option

I don't know why people are worried about this.

Sony's the only hardware manufacturer who does right by their consoles (even to their own detriment sometimes, as GOW:A and GT6 demonstrated).

They won't abruptly cut PS4 short just because the new hotness is on the way.

Kawika

I don't know why people are worried about this.

Sony's the only hardware manufacturer who does right by their consoles (even to their own detriment sometimes, as GOW:A and GT6 demonstrated).

They won't abruptly cut PS4 short just because the new hotness is on the way.

^ Clearly didn't own a Vita. PS4 is doing well, fuck vita... We won't stop supporting PS4, we just will make the games play janky until you upgrade. Or not... I don't have a crystal ball.

^ Clearly didn't own a Vita. PS4 is doing well, fuck vita... We won't stop supporting PS4, we just will make the games play janky until you upgrade. Or not... I don't have a crystal ball.
I said consoles.

And believe me, I own plenty of Vitas (three to be exact!).

Inuhanyou

But will it also be a “generational leap“ for neo customers?

Well, if we are going with the idea that "PS5", in addition to being BC with PS4/NEO titles, also be allowed to have its own titles to take advantage of the hardware, taking true advantage of the box, as opposed to uprendering PS4 games only, yes, it will be a gen leap for those customers.

Especially if they do end up putting Zen, HBM2/3 and a 2019 class GPU into the thing. That will blow NEO out of the water in terms of what could be done in games compared to the anemic Jaguar and (admittedly impressive at launch)GDDR5 currently in the thing, even the GPU will be severely outclassed.

Nobody would say the 7th generation Dishonored 1, even on PC maxed out, comes anywhere close to looking as good as current gen console titles. Its the same concept.

pezzie

As someone not buying a Neo, I'm perfectly fine with this new model of iterative hardware. So long as my current PS4 can run games at a decent, playable rate, then I'm fine if there exists a super version of the hardware for the enthusiasts. I'll probably get the next iteration later down the line, but I'm still pretty happy with my games on PS4. Granted, I never played Fallout 4 on PS4.

Inuhanyou

As someone not buying a Neo, I'm perfectly fine with this new model of iterative hardware. So long as my current PS4 can run games at a decent, playable rate, then I'm fine if there exists a super version of the hardware for the enthusiasts. I'll probably get the next iteration later down the line, but I'm still pretty happy with my games on PS4. Granted, I never played Fallout 4 on PS4.

Or just cause 3, which by the way, never even got patched to be fixed.

If the PS4 and NEO were on their own I would believe him. But developers have to account for the Xbox One and Scorpio as well. 1.3tflops to 6tflops. That's one hell of a range to optimize for.

I think that's going to be too much for developers and they will transition to the NEO and Scorpio to save costs, after the user base builds up.

Which then brings the PC logic forward: why would a developer release a game thinking about optimizing it for Neo/Scorpio as well as original PS4/One when they can target the "lowest common denominator" and build up from there? Just like it happens on PC: the same game can be played from 720p up to 4K and from low details to ultra settings and the only thing it changes is a config file.

That's the magic of x86 and iterative console cycle on this architecture.

wapplew

I expect that the Neo will extend the life of the PS4 by at least three years.

Depend on how Scorpio do. If that thing start getting exclusive that look miles better than any current gen games and start taking off like 15m unit per year, PS5 will come sooner.

Depend on how Scorpio do. If that thing start getting exclusive that look miles better than any current gen games and start taking off like 15m unit per year, PS5 will come sooner.

The Scorpio will obviously look better but it wouldn't be by miles. Sony isn't in the position to eat the costs of a more powerful PS5 so soon after the launch of the Neo and that's even more true if the Neo doesn't sell well. It's just not happening.

Top Bottom