• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shuhei Yoshida: Neo won't shorten PS4's lifecycle "PS4 is PS4"

People needs to understand somethings..

First SONY:

1- Sony have a different philosophy than MS this time.

2- Sony have a different approach with Neo than MS with Sco.

3- Sony is making Neo as the other side of the same coin (The PS4 ).. they are the same generation for them, will get the same games and support for the 7 - 8 years of the life cycle.

4- DO NOT expect PS5 before Holidays 2020 \ 2021... thinking getting a new generation console anytime before that isn't logical at all... Sony life cycle for their gaming products now are 7+ years ( like from PS3 to PS4 and PSP to Vita ).

5- In Fact one of the main reasons to release the Neo is to give the life cycle a further push.. as for games performance Sony mentioned it will be so easy to scale up and down between the two version so no worries.

6- The upgrade for Neo from the PS4 isn't THAT big... they are going to be treated like the same generation console BUT with two different choices for customers, the standard console which is the PS4 and the premium version which is the Neo which is basically for those who have 4K TVs and wants a better VR experience and a little better in games preforming.

7- As previews generations... this generation will ends when the PS5 is released, of course the two PS4 consoles will still get support but for example the Neo won't play PS5 games... both of the PS4s won't be able to play the PS5 games because it's a new generation and a HUGE JUMP and that's how they usually push their user base to their next console... but of course the PS5 could play the PS4 games if it supported the BC.

8- Sony didn't bother upgrading the Neo THAT much like MS with their console because they have something different on their mind with their consoles... unlike MS.

Untitled4.png

Now... MS is clearly adopting a new approaches in the gaming market:

1- They are uniting their consoles with the PC by Windows store.

2- They are already releasing a next gen console with the Sco.. it's a HUGE upgrade from the One.

3- They have their own philosophy now, they want to co existing with the PC and that's why they need to upgrade their consoles with a High End version every 4 years or so... they wants to go beyond generations as they mentioned and they are already starting this step with the Sco.

4- So now the three big companies each have their own visions and road to walk on.. each will offer different approach to the gaming community and that's IMO a good thing... we need different visions not a united ones.

So.. there you have it :)

Nope.

They always said a dev can make either a 4K Scorpio or a 1080P Scorpio game. Since day one of the official announcement. There were some misquotes and misspokes but in the end it's always been the same.

As for Scorpio only games , it remains unclear. The current PR is that they all will play the same games and use the same peripherals.

That just shows how the messaging isn't consistent, which was the point of my initial reply. It makes no sense to say that a Scorpio isn't for someone if they don't have a 4K TV when you're leaving the power of the console entirely up to each developer to determine how they use. You'd think after the Xbox One that they'd have everyone on the same page since they decided to announce it so early.

Does it matter ? Devs can use the power any way they feel fit. Scorpio games will look better. Messaging might be off , but this should be a givin. Scorpio games will look better.

That was the point of my reply. The poster I was replying to asked what's the confusion in response to someone sarcastically saying that MS has being very clear. They really haven't been very clearly which is why they've had to correct themselves.

c0de

Well, if we are going with the idea that "PS5", in addition to being BC with PS4/NEO titles, also be allowed to have its own titles to take advantage of the hardware, taking true advantage of the box, as opposed to uprendering PS4 games only, yes, it will be a gen leap for those customers.

Especially if they do end up putting Zen, HBM2/3 and a 2019 class GPU into the thing. That will blow NEO out of the water in terms of what could be done in games compared to the anemic Jaguar and (admittedly impressive at launch)GDDR5 currently in the thing, even the GPU will be severely outclassed.

Nobody would say the 7th generation Dishonored 1, even on PC maxed out, comes anywhere close to looking as good as current gen console titles. Its the same concept.

I get what you want so say but this also means that the PS4k won't ever be a system that devs can ever utilize to its fullest.
Also, yes, Dishonored maxed out on PC doesn't come close to the current games but a system that could max that game out back then is still able to run current games.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Scorpio is only about 3x PS4 performance. That isn't enough for a 'full generational' jump. Just because it is 4x Xb1 doesn't matter - developers making current gen games probably consider PS4/Xb1 as one family of devices to target. Adding Scorpio and neo to the mix might adjust the baseline slightly upwards but they'll still be targeting the 40m PS4 and however many million XB1. Scorpio isn't a big enough jumo to break out of that group

onQ123

what do you think PS4 or XBO is? there is a reason why Sony came out with NEO so peeps won't jump to PC half-way through, they want to keep them in there wall garden.
Sony admitted this.

Of course PlayStation & Xbox are walled gardens but MS is attempting to use UWP/UWA & scale-able Xboxs as a way to bring people over to a walled Windows 10 platform.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I get what you want so say but this also means that the PS4k won't ever be a system that devs can ever utilize to its fullest.
Also, yes, Dishonored maxed out on PC doesn't come close to the current games but a system that could max that game out back then is still able to run current games.

Of course NEO will be utilized to its fullest. Its just that 'to its fullest' means using the hardware for uprendering base PS4 games.

PS4NEO is just an upgraded PS4 box. The limitations placed on it inherently means it will be locked to PS4's baseline by default in terms of the games it runs and what it can accomplish. Sony put strict mandates for this to be the case based on the initial leaks.

This is the difference between an incremental unit, and what i personally think Sony still sees as the fundamental generational concept(their numbered devices, PS4, PS5 ect)

They still want people to upgrade their hardware, but NEO is not an investment big enough for them to find it necessary to shut out previous users. All things considered, it will likely be smaller than the original PS4, output less power and heat, and will also likely cost around the same or slightly less to manufacture.

Now in 2019, the jump to a hypothetical PS5 would be big enough of an investment for them to want people to upgrade, and that is where their effort would be spent at that time. There will be nothing stating devs can't make PS4/NEO based games after PS5 comes out, but they will likely be BC with PS5, and PS5 games will be available on their own as well.

ISee

Framerate/Graphical fidelity is the deciding factor here for me. If Neo just runs games above 1080p to get better upscaling to 4k then I really don't care. It's a bit too early to jump on the 4k TV hype train, at least in germany.
If the Neo on the other hand starts to output sony exclusives like God of War 4/Uncharted 4 in 1080p/60fps instead of 1080p,900p/30fps then I'll upgrade but I would also learn my lesson and never buy the 'first' model of a new PS console again.

Of course NEO will be utilized to its fullest. Its just that 'to its fullest' means using the hardware for uprendering base PS4 games.

PS4NEO is just an upgraded PS4 box. The limitations placed on it inherently means it will be locked to PS4's baseline by default in terms of the games it runs and what it can accomplish. Sony put strict mandates for this to be the case based on the initial leaks.
I think that will only be the case until PS5 launches, and from that point on, devs will be free to target devices as they see fit. I also expect we'll see binary compatibility "forever," so the same executable will run on any PlayStation, assuming it meets the system requirements.

That's another reason I think it's better to hold Neo until spring or even summer if necessary and include Zen/Vega. Then launch the PS5 in 2020, and the PS5.5 in 2023. Then when devs finally do start thinking about dropping support for PS4 — House thinks this will be c. 2023 — Neo will be that much closer in capability to whatever the current machines are sporting, thereby increasing Neo's long-term viability.

But then again, I think Sony are focused on continuity, and you seem to think they still want to completely shake things up and risk losing their entire user base every few years. /shrug

Raylan

Banned

First SONY:

3- Sony is making Neo as the other side of the same coin (The PS4 ).. they are the same generation for them, will get the same games and support for the 7 - 8 years of the life cycle.

4- DO NOT expect PS5 before Holidays 2020 \ 2021... thinking getting a new generation console anytime before that isn't logical at all... Sony life cycle for their gaming products now are 7+ years ( like from PS3 to PS4 and PSP to Vita ).

That is way too long. Sony already said that last gen was too long and that this won't happen again this gen. So I expect 6 years in total.

2013 - Launch of the PS4
2016 - Launch of the Slim/Neo PS4
2019 - Launch of the PS5

c0de

This is the difference between an incremental unit, and what i personally think Sony still sees as the fundamental generational concept(their numbered devices, PS4, PS5 ect)

They still want people to upgrade their hardware, but NEO is not an investment big enough for them to find it necessary to shut out previous users. All things considered, it will likely be smaller than the original PS4, output less power and heat, and will also likely cost around the same or slightly less to manufacture.

Now in 2019, the jump to a hypothetical PS5 would be big enough of an investment for them to want people to upgrade, and that is where their effort would be spent at that time. There will be nothing stating devs can't make PS4/NEO based games after PS5 comes out, but they will likely be BC with PS5, and PS5 games will be available on their own as well.

But by that we will never be able to tell how games on the neo could be like as the system is only there to make ps4 games prettier. So the true potential will never be seen for neo as it will be phased out with the ps4 and there will be no exclusive games for it.

geordiemp

Scorpio is only about 3x PS4 performance. That isn't enough for a 'full generational' jump. Just because it is 4x Xb1 doesn't matter - developers making current gen games probably consider PS4/Xb1 as one family of devices to target. Adding Scorpio and neo to the mix might adjust the baseline slightly upwards but they'll still be targeting the 40m PS4 and however many million XB1. Scorpio isn't a big enough jumo to break out of that group

All this 3 x and 4 x is really misleading gamers as its just one component, the GPU, and no way will we get game performance like that at all as game performance will be dragged down by the CPU and bandwidth. Its more like

Neo = Ps4 performance + 30 %.
Scorpio = Ps4 performance + 100 %.

Why, well Neo CPU and bandwidth is + 30 %, Scorpio with zen will be a 70 % better CPU and Scoprio has huge bandwidth.

In practice it will make Scorpio a 60 FPS monster console capable of any game in 1440p60 no sweat, Neo 60 FPS on some games only.

wapplew

All this 3 x and 4 x is really misleading gamers as its just one component, the GPU, and no way will we get game performance like that at all as game performance will be dragged down by the CPU and bandwidth. Its more like

Why, well Neo CPU and bandwidth is + 30 %, Scorpio with zen will be a 70 % better CPU and Scoprio has huge bandwidth.

In practice it will make Scorpio a 60 FPS monster console, Neo 60 FPS on some games only.

You remind me of someone who say "Balance" before both PS4 and Xbox release.

scsa

Scorpio is next gen for Microsoft - Technically.
They are headed in the PC direction of merging two platforms.

Neo on the other hand seems like the PSX, with a PS5 on the horizon, which will exceed the Scorpio in Specs.

MS will have a head start of around 1-1.5 years "next gen"
----
I follow gaming in a very casual manner, and this is all I "perceive" of the situation. Wonder what the general public thinks...

All of this 30% and 100% talk is really misleading gamers as it's just one component — the CPU — and no way will most games be CPU-limited anyway.

PS4 has more bandwidth than it actually needs, and they haven't confirmed the CPU for Neo or Scorpio yet anyway, as long as we're on the subject of misleading gamers…

In practice it will make Scorpio a 60 FPS monster console capable of any game in 1440p60 no sweat, Neo 60 FPS on some games only.
In practice, we're gonna need to wait and see what's released before we start wailing about what an utter failure it was. ;p

Frankly, I'm more concerned about hitting 120 fps with PSVR than anything else, so I too would like to see Neo be nice and beefy. Fingers crossed.

You believe this? Lmao. It doesn't end the lifecycle because it's still called PS4. But it splits the userbase and ends the lifecycle for 40 000 000 current users....if they don't want to be left behind.

Raylan

Banned
You believe this? Lmao. It doesn't end the lifecycle because it's still called PS4. But it splits the userbase and ends the lifecycle for 40 000 000 current users....if they don't want to be left behind.

It doesn't "split" the userbase and it doesn't "end the lifecycle of 40 million PS4 users" so I actually don't know what you're talking about.

Septic360

Banned
That just shows how the messaging isn't consistent, which was the point of my initial reply. It makes no sense to say that a Scorpio isn't for someone if they don't have a 4K TV when you're leaving the power of the console entirely up to each developer to determine how they use. You'd think after the Xbox One that they'd have everyone on the same page since they decided to announce it so early.

Yeah we've been through all that now. It's old news and the point was clarified.

MilkyJoe

No, it's just that the Neo makes sense to me and the Scorpio doesn't.

The Neo exists to play PS4 games with better graphics.

A new stronger Xbox to allow MS to also break into the VR market does not make sense, but a PS4+ that plays ALL the same games as a PS4, including the VR games, only slightly prettier, makes sense...

giphy.gif

The Scorpio has 6 fucking teraflops. It's going to be wildly expensive if it's going to make any money. It claims to exist to play Xbone games with better graphics, but that's obviously not the sole goal with hardware so pricey and powerful. But at that price, why even buy a console instead of upgrading the PC most people own to play games that will now release on both platforms? With how powerful Scorpio is, it's easy to expect that it will eventually support new kinds of software that is too advanced for Xbone, which would contradict their announcement philosophy.

Can you link me to where you saw the price?

That gaming PC that most console players own...

homelol

Neo Member

First SONY:

5- In Fact one of the main reasons to release the Neo is to give the life cycle a further push.. as for games performance Sony mentioned it will be so easy to scale up and down between the two version so no worries.

6- The upgrade for Neo from the PS4 isn't THAT big... they are going to be treated like the same generation console BUT with two different choices for customers, the standard console which is the PS4 and the premium version which is the Neo which is basically for those who have 4K TVs and wants a better VR experience and a little better in games preforming.

7- As previews generations... this generation will ends when the PS5 is released, of course the two PS4 consoles will still get support but for example the Neo won't play PS5 games... both of the PS4s won't be able to play the PS5 games because it's a new generation and a HUGE JUMP and that's how they usually push their user base to their next console... but of course the PS5 could play the PS4 games if it supported the BC.

8- Sony didn't bother upgrading the Neo THAT much like MS with their console because they have something different on their mind with their consoles... unlike MS.

Untitled4.png

Now... MS is clearly adopting a new approaches in the gaming market:

1- They are uniting their consoles with the PC by Windows store.

2- They are already releasing a next gen console with the Sco.. it's a HUGE upgrade from the One.

3- They have their own philosophy now, they want to co existing with the PC and that's why they need to upgrade their consoles with a High End version every 4 years or so... they wants to go beyond generations as they mentioned and they are already starting this step with the Sco.

4- So now the three big companies each have their own visions and road to walk on.. each will offer different approach to the gaming community and that's IMO a good thing... we need different visions not a united ones.

So.. there you have it :)

Microsoft as video game company is not reliable. in their time of the first xbox already they made a super-short generation pulling a console with problems and unfinished. Now they have returned to be left behind have abandoned their users for a new generation of consoles. I'm curious to know the economic price that will have this machine.

MilkyJoe

Microsoft as video game company is not reliable. in their time of the first xbox already they made a super-short generation pulling a console with problems and unfinished. Now they have returned to be left behind have abandoned their users for a new generation of consoles. I'm curious to know the economic price that will have this machine.

If in doubt, make stuff up

SOR5

The userbase for PS4 won't be split, they will still be fully connected just like before

SOR5

Why does any of this need pointing out?
Why are people confused?

The concept of tech upgrades isn't foreign, the concept of somebody making a more powerful console iteration (outside of modular parts) is relatively new and you'd be surprised how much questions it starts making even when its seen with a thousand other consumer electronics in their daily life.

The userbase for PS4 won't be split, they will still be fully connected just like before

Sure, if you want to play games with terrible performance and/ or worse graphics compared to the Neo versions. I mean, what do you guys think the neo (and scorpion) is? Just an option? Just a slightly better PS4 like a slim version? No, it's not. Otherwise the Neo wouldn't make any sense. It will split the userbase. Or it's an expensive trashcan....but I doubt it.

homelol

Neo Member
If in doubt, make stuff up

It is my opinion is clear. I had the first Xbox and two Xbox 360. For now, no new generation for me. But it seems absurd to draw a console with a power difference so brutal after such a short time. Sony's vision seems more conservative and although I do not share at least do not break with the current generation. The price will be high when compared to what will be the NEO by specifications. Unfortunately for them the console market we have many experiences where power does not guarantee success in the gaming market.

Sorry for my english dudes.

Footos22

Sure, if you want to play games with terrible performance and/ or worse graphics compared to the Neo versions. I mean, what do you guys think the neo (and scorpion) is? Just an option? Just a slightly better PS4 like a slim version? No, it's not. Otherwise the Neo wouldn't make any sense. It will split the userbase. Or it's an expensive trashcan....but I doubt it.

You're looking at things backwards. PS4 wont be getting terrible performance.

PS4 is still the main console to develop for. instead of getting neo games with worse ps4 ports like you are making out you'll be getting ps4 games with bonus performance/image quality on the neo. nothing is gonna run like trash.

Its not gonna split the userbase its not getting exclusives and I doubt they'll hav a neo mode for mp play.

what don't you understand.

SOR5

As its mandatory to support the PS4 I highly doubt Sony will leave the PS4 standard versions of games in a gimped state, E3 2016 showed games all running on a standard PS4

You're looking at things backwards. PS4 wont be getting terrible performance.

PS4 is still the main console to develop for. instead of getting neo games with worse ps4 ports like you are making out you'll be getting ps4 games with bonus performance/image quality on the neo. nothing is gonna run like trash.

Its not gonna split the userbase its not getting exclusives and I doubt they'll hav a neo mode for mp play.

what don't you understand.

So the new console doesn't make any sense.

Who pays 400 $ for a better resolution and better FPS? Sorry, I believe it when I see it.

I mean it would be amazing if you're right but I just can't believe it.

geordiemp

All of this 30% and 100% talk is really misleading gamers as it's just one component — the CPU — and no way will most games be CPU-limited anyway.

PS4 has more bandwidth than it actually needs, and they haven't confirmed the CPU for Neo or Scorpio yet anyway, as long as we're on the subject of misleading gamers…
Fingers crossed.

Most big AAA open world games like Witcher 3 were heavy on CPU, see Digital foundry needing an I5 to get to 60 FPS. When games are hovering under 30 sometimes, its not because the Ps4 GPU is weak or Bandwidth is it ?

Bandwidth is probably OK.

Neo leaked specs to Giant Bomb suggests the very weak Jaguar, so unless Sony change this my assumptions are fair at the moment.

Also I have read zen a few times when people asked about Scorpio at E3, I dont think its a massive stretch to believe it wont be zen.

Yes Fingers crossed Sony up the Neo CPU.

Mokubba

Who pays 400 $ for a better resolution and better FPS? Sorry, I believe it when I see it.

Erm, PC Gamers do this all the time.

I don't see why you think this won't happen when it makes the most sense and it's the logical thing to do.

Develop game for PS4. Use left over resources on Neo to boost framerate or graphics.

Every game at E3 was running on base PS4 and they ran well and looked good.

After watching some of them E3 trailers I have to admit that I'm okay with that. I have a hard time believing that Neo games will look that much better to make me invest in a new console this fall.

Technically, only Scorpio qualifies as a "new generation". Games-wise, none of them is. Not unless there are exclusive Non-VR Scorpio games on the market. Which I asume we'll se no later than a successor of PS4 Neo. Yet not earlier, because I also do not believe that Scropio will build up a significant install base within the next two years.

Erm, PC Gamers do this all the time

I don't see why you think this won't happen when it makes the most sense and it's the logical thing to do.

Console gamers <> PC gamers. Completely different habits besides sharing the samy hobby.

Console gamers <> PC gamers. Completely different habits besides sharing the samy hobby.

Sony has much better data available to them than we do. I dont think its a stretch to think that the long PS3 life cycle caused people to get bored of their PS3's and either switch to PC, or worse, quit playing games entirely.

And if this thing fails, oh well. Just go back to business and usual.

We gotta stop with this "split" the user base non sense. it doesn't "end" the life cycle of current PS4 owners, especially since all the games shown at E3 were running on OG hardware.

That is way too long. Sony already said that last gen was too long and that this won't happen again this gen. So I expect 6 years in total.

2013 - Launch of the PS4
2016 - Launch of the Slim/Neo PS4
2019 - Launch of the PS5
They said that before they announce the Neo.... 6 years isn't enough, we are in 2016 now and most of the big teams didn't release their games for this gen... For god sake or didn't even announce one..... Plus Not that far away we still get big AAA titles released cross gen.

2019 would be too soon specially now that's the Neo is coming.

Holidays 2020 or even 2021 seems more legit, at less most team can get away with this gen with two big games.

Sony has much better data available to them than we do. I dont think its a stretch to think that the long PS3 life cycle caused people to get bored of their PS3's and either switch to PC, or worse, quit playing games entirely.

And if this thing fails, oh well. Just go back to business and usual.

Of course they have. They'll have some results from focus groups and / or surveys, so they came up with this conclusion. So did MS.

No, what I was referring to is that habits of PC gamers don't translate well into habits of console gamers. Of course there is a consumer segment which will appreciate this new option and go for it, but there are still huge segments left which won't be bothered to invest in this new hardware anytime soon.

I for one think that the majority of current and future customers will opt for the standard / non-premium SKUs, as long as there is no exclusive content which justify spending the premium which comes along with it, that is.

Those new SKUs are premium consoles, aligned to the needs and desires - and the budget - of premium customers, hence they will stay niche products for quite some time.

I am just talking about the next one to three years, the transition period where both new consoles have to share the same game library with their predecessors. And I for one woulnd't be surprised if we get an even more powerful generation / iteration of SKUs right after that.

If you trade in your PS4 it'll be less, plus with the likely inclusion of UHD playback it's another incentive.

Mokubba

I know they have different habits but there is overlap and this is something that's not really happened before so who knows how many people it appeals to.

It won't surprise me to see a good percentage of people here switch their PS4 for Neo at one point in the PS4's life cycle.

I personally have seen people switch their consoles for the slim versions just because of the form factor and because it's the new thing out.

LordOfChaos

Here's the thing, developers will do more ambitious games regardless of ps4 neo existence or not. Games keep looking better and better every year and you can code to the metal all you want but at some point it will hit tye ceiling of what it can do. Late ps3 lifecycle is really rough on the hardware. More and more games start having sub720p resolution, framerate issues etc. Even naughty dog start having less than ideal framerate on Last of Us.

I never got the "problems already exist" answer as a way to calm fears that they will get worse.

Late life PS3 games were often plagued with shit IQ and framerate, sure, now imagine how much worse the base PS3 could have gotten if there was a PS3.5 for developers to also target and split resources for, and possibly push for more ambitious games. If TLoU was built with a target of a 16SPE Cell in mind, how well would the backport to the PS3 have worked, compared to what we got.

geordiemp

I never got the "problems already exist" answer as a way to calm fears that they will get worse.

Late life PS3 games were often plagued with shit IQ and framerate, sure, now imagine how much worse the base PS3 could have gotten if there was a PS3.5 for developers to also target and split resources for, and possibly push for more ambitious games. If TLoU was built with a target of a 16SPE Cell in mind, how well would the backport to the PS3 have worked, compared to what we got.

Developers will be making games that also run on the Xb1 and have to be reviewed and analysed by sites like digital foundry. Social media is much bigger nowadays.

If games are put out that run like shit on 60 + million consoles (Ps4 + Xb1) and great on 2 million up market consoles, then the developer and publisher will get whats coming to them !

Things like that can kill a franchise (remember assassins creed fall from grace !).

Daft Punk

Banned

You literally have no idea what you are talking about.

I don't know if Sony knows what they are doing. They may think they do, but so did MS with their DRM BS that anybody with a brain would've seen that it wasn't going to past muster. I have to see what the games are looking like but I doubt the Neo can run third party games at 1080p/60, let alone 4k/30 so I don't see the point. I don't see the point of playing it safe and consumers don't care that they are forced to be safe. Scorpio makes more sense to me. There's potential here to break momentum for when it's time for a PS5 nobody is going to be excited. I'm not convinced Sony knows wtf they are doing.

As this seemed to be everyone's greatest fear, I'm glad to see confirmation that all is right with the world.

I'm betting that they'll just start using a model where they phase out consoles every 6 years or so. PSNEO will be out soon, but won't be the "standard" for about another 3 years. At which point, the PSMATRIXREVOLUTIONS will be out and NEO will be the "low-end" console.

So you think they should make the PS5 have all new games that don't play on the Neo 3 years after it launches? I think that's a terrible idea.

Why not? PS5 is not a PS4 so why would PS5 games be compatible? I don't see why this is an issue. When someone is buying a Neo they're buying a PS4. It is an enhanced PS4 but still a PS4 nonetheless. You're equating the price as an expectation for future compatibility but that is not the case. The expectation is that a PS4 Neo will play a portion of the PS4 library better than the base version, that's why people will be paying $399 or more.

Top Bottom