• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sigh...Signs of development hell has surfaced for 343 Industries. I'm moving on.

This is how I think a lot of MS studios have been running for a long time(not all of them), and this is why Xbox titles just don't have the same pezazz as Sony published ones.

MS thinks you can just buy all the talent and make AAA games, but it really doesn't work that way. You need to keep teams happy, and nurture them over time. Its far more efficient for you to have the same 50 man team working on their own game for 5 years, opposed to having 50 staff, then adding 100 more that are essentially in and out workers and get it done in 3 years, this is especially important for the programming of the game, and makes a huge difference in the long run.

Im afraid MS will keep doing this to try and catch up in their exclusives space, but will keep churning out underwhelming AA titles. Some studios will shine, but if this is how First party studios are treated, its not a great start to a new generation.

TLZ

Banned
That dude has a full on hate boner against MS so not surprising. Just look at his recent videos
No he doesn't. Go look at all his videos. He praises and shits on everyone. He has no alliance. He's mainly a PC gamer. Currently enjoying his Switch.

D8lONYZU0AA0cJl.jpg
Kratos-Cosplay-God-of-War-Kes-Cosplay-Vanity-Art-Photography-web.jpg

The Alien

Banned
I really like Rich and his channel, but he's been off in 2020.

Whether he's talking about dieting, giving political opinions, or in this case - using Glass Door to bandwagon dump on Halo, his content this year hasnt been great.

Look up any company on Glass Door and cherry pick to fir your narrative. Every company (Naughty Dog, Microsoft, etc.) are all on there and there (usually) ex employees just airing dirty laundry. Do I think some of it is true? Sure. But 343 in this case doesnt have a chance to respond. I just think it's another poor video from what was a really good, fun channel.at one point.

Microsoft is notorious for its use of contractors but it does seem particularly destructive in a creative endeavor like games. You kind of expect Phil to know that and to take better care of the crown jewel of their developer roster.
Right, the crown jewel though is the franchise, and the franchise before 343i was established.

Truth is, they aren't cut for the job.

Is he reliable?
I wouldn't call him anything close to reliable.
Basically he talks about three reviews posted on a workplace review site.
Two of the three are from former contractors, bashing the ...contractor work :messenger_beaming:
Only the third is from a normal employee (one year) that says that "its too cut-throat environment, if you are up for that you will thrive"
I mean, contractors are means for a specific task. that's not 343, that's global. and not a gaming industry prerogative either.
TLOU2 used more than a dozen outside companies and more than thousand contractors.

I'd say that this youtuber is a tool, but unfortunately I think it's even worse and he thinks we are the tools as he tries to get cheap views on a "hot" subject

Holy shit did this guy just make a 13 minute videos reading negative reviews from GlassDoor?!? Are people that stupid to not know that GlassDoor is where all useless disgruntled employees go when they're fired?
Yes, he did, and 2/3 of the reviews that he presents are not even from employees, but from contractors :messenger_grinning_squinting:
and I think that he does understand that he is bullshiting , but he thinks its worth for the views he gets

Last edited:

Klayzer

Gold Member
I really like Rich and his channel, but he's been off in 2020.

Whether he's talking about dieting, giving political opinions, or in this case - using Glass Door to bandwagon dump on Halo, his content this year hasnt been great.

Look up any company on Glass Door and cherry pick to fir your narrative. Every company (Naughty Dog, Microsoft, etc.) are all on there and there (usually) ex employees just airing dirty laundry. Do I think some of it is true? Sure. But 343 in this case doesnt have a chance to respond. I just think it's another poor video from what was a really good, fun channel.at one point.
Plus he's Aaron Greenburg long lost twin brother. Waiting on that tearful reunion.

Reactions: MrS

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Holy shit did this guy just make a 13 minute videos reading negative reviews from GlassDoor?!? Are people that stupid to not know that GlassDoor is where all useless disgruntled employees go when they're fired?

These people never worked in the games industry before. Complaining about contractors at a game developer? That's proof right there. There are probably MORE contractors working in games than full employees.

Last edited:

nikolino840

This is how I think a lot of MS studios have been running for a long time(not all of them), and this is why Xbox titles just don't have the same pezazz as Sony published ones.

MS thinks you can just buy all the talent and make AAA games, but it really doesn't work that way. You need to keep teams happy, and nurture them over time. Its far more efficient for you to have the same 50 man team working on their own game for 5 years, opposed to having 50 staff, then adding 100 more that are essentially in and out workers and get it done in 3 years, this is especially important for the programming of the game, and makes a huge difference in the long run.

Im afraid MS will keep doing this to try and catch up in their exclusives space, but will keep churning out underwhelming AA titles. Some studios will shine, but if this is how First party studios are treated, its not a great start to a new generation.
Are not so happy at naughty dog :D

Klayzer

Gold Member
Except the trouble at 343 is real. Actually listen to the negative employee exit reviews of the employees in that vid, that's not made up trolling.
And he doesn't have a hate boner against Xbox at all. In fact Xbox is his favorite platform, check his videos over the years. He has been a staunch defender.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
This is an obsession at this point. Go take a walk. Go read a book. Play some games. Halo will get here soon enough. It will be good or it won't.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
This is an obsession at this point. Go take a walk. Go read a book. Play some games. Halo will get here soon enough. It will be good or it won't.
An obsession? I make 2 threads about Halo, each with different information and it's an obsession? I'm gonna go take that walk...but it'll be to prevent me from taking this opportunity to absolutely destroy your entire opinion about what you think is my situation over here.

I think you know where you can shove your advice.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
This guy simply isn't reliable. You can't just surf glassdoor reviews for video content and make a video based on the musings of a disgruntled former 343 employee. No bueno.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
This game is going to be torn apart in reviews. Worst-selling Halo mainline game incoming, and Halo 5 set a low bar.
I thought this Halo would be a return to form

I didn't think it could get any worse than Halo 5's SP but it's possible

oldergamer

This sounds right, and reminds me of a few studios i knew of and worked at. This is a management issue. Everything those people said are true. The build process is a huge issue. They basically need to get all the management together and fix each problem properly.

The comments about waiting a month to weeks to make big check-ins, its a huge problem. This sounds like Rockstar games and everyone i knew that ever worked there. Not good!

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I'm very hyped for Halo Infinite. Love the art style and visual look. Plus, the gameplay/combat and frame rate was extremely smooth. I'm expecting an 90+ rated game and it to be real good. The people blowing things out of proportion (as usual) when it comes to Microsoft is so tiring. It's like, if you don't like Microsoft/Xbox, then ignore it like I ignore Nintendo. It's very easy to do instead of bashing the other side because in my eyes, that tells me what you're bashing is better than what you're praising because if it wasn't, there would be no reason to bash it.

To each their own but that's how I see it. Can't wait for November!!!

Wimbledon

I blame Bonnie Ross, too me she is corporate shill whose handling of the franchise at least from what I've seen has been atrocious.

bonnie-ross-head-of-halo-343-.jpg

The same way Kathleen Kennedy handled star wars, is how Bonnie Ross is currently handling halo.

I see the message she's trying to put out in almost every interview shes in diversity for the sake of diversity, feminist, or trying to get girls into gaming (which isn't a bad message), but i just think using halo to spread your message is what's turning a lot of people off. We want to be lost in a space opera regardless of your creed, background, nationality etc. I just think some of the things that she believes in, was never a problem in Halo.

For the most part, what they've done successfully is the EU of Halo and I won't shit on 343i on that front or even their brief stint in comics.

BUT how the company has handled gaming has been atrocious to me. I've never seen such a big divide within the halo community. Yet 343i didn't bother listening to the community from the beginning. People may not remember but they were supposed to be the dream team made up so many different game developers from every high-class studio. Yet for the most part, I'd say they've lost the trust of the people who love and grew up with this franchise.

They've dropped the ball so many times MCC launch and then having to fix it, Halo 4s multiplayer, Halo 5s marketing story/ and multiplayer, and although I hear people say they fixed that it still made a giant divide in the community. Halo wars 2 might be the only Halo game they've done well or had at least a positive reception by the community.

Then here we are with Halo infinite! i don't need to go into detail about the visuals but they are trying to take on this game as a service model in the same vein as destiny. I don't know why they insist on fighting an uphill battle and increasing the divide between developers and fans.

yurqqa

After tons of shit, men's and circles showing where the vegetation LOD changes - does anybody thought about gameplay ?

Maybe the game will be fun to play ?

Does it matter still for gamers ?

Last edited:

Ozzie666

I don't know what to think. But the engine change in itself and the cross-gen nature of the project, it started as current gen, they had to drop the previous engine and then try to make the engine itself cross-gen. It's easy for people to pile on and the have negativity spread through employees. Maybe a lot of half truths in these claims. I still think Microsoft's messaging, game pass, cross-gen expectations have caused more harm then 343 directly.

From my understanding, the game was ambitious, so they changed engines, then they were told to make it cross-gen, their engine didn't appear to be forward thinking for next gen. Maybe I am wrong. This is sounding more and more like Bioware and EA problems.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
An obsession? I make 2 threads about Halo, each with different information and it's an obsession? I'm gonna go take that walk...but it'll be to prevent me from taking this opportunity to absolutely destroy your entire opinion about what you think is my situation over here.

I think you know where you can shove your advice.

065.gif

Starcheif

I was okay with the showing but again I value gameplay over graphics. With that being said something has to be wrong at 343 to show off a flag ship game like Halo and not show what next gen can really do.

Tschumi

pardon me, i'm gonna whip out my wireless B&O heaphones so i can listen to the timber of the person's voice as they elucidate all this for me

While hardly enough to push the pendelum, I ran into one developer last year (in story, I think) who was so happy to leave 343 because the project was apparently a huge mess - and now I see what it is, and can't argue much. I made sure to ask if he quit or was laid off, and he said he quit because he couldn't stand it anymore. Apparently, there was a lot of micro-managing, but who knows the truth.

THEAP99

Banned
I remember how i felt when all that FUD and hyperbolic nonsense was being spread about Naughty Dog. Though we do have footage on this one to back up that possible studio issues is hurting the quality of the game.

But ya ill wait till Jason Schrier or someone reliable comments on these rumblings even though it's pretty clear what's going on here.

Look at a really poor outing here and no wonder it will be the last halo lol

Phase

After tons of shit, men's and circles showing where the vegetation LOD changes - does anybody thought about gameplay ?

Maybe the game will be fun to play ?

Does it matter still for gamers ?
That's the main reason 343 has failed imo and the reason I haven't liked a Halo game since Reach. They haven't understood what made Halo unique gameplay-wise since their inception, instead trying to make/force their own vision with every release. Well... We've seen how that's turned out.

Tschumi

Prediction for 5 years from now:

"Skibbidy boop bap

Hi everyone, I'm this emergency broadcast because my insider at xBox has just told me that Microsoft Is Getting Out of Consoles.

That's right, I'm told that they just cbf anymore, the disaster of having two awful console launches in a row was too much for them to come back from apparently, and they are going to pull the plug and get into renewable energy!

I for one welcome this! And I'll tell you why. Hint: it's not because of incompetent subordinates!"

-Arcadia-

Banned
Wouldn't doubt this is real to some extent.

I have no other idea about how the trailers full of gorgeous art, world concepts, and technical mastery, alongside the backing of one of the biggest companies on the planet, would have turned into... this.

It looks behind compared to Xbox One and 360 games, let alone those tech sneak peaks. That kind of thing makes a lot of sense if your engine and tech are running behind schedule, you've had development restarts, are running out of time, etc.

All I can hope is that it plays well, and the visuals are polished up to an acceptable level over time. A delay might be even better. It looks surprisingly compelling from a gameplay/story angle, so it has that going for it.

jakinov

Why is that all studios apart from Sony / Nintendo studios rack discerprin
Running studios is hard. Even Sony has shutdown studios and has made some bad deals with third party companies that they cut off. They have studios that were in their own development hell. Sometimes the problem is the head/leadership that's hard to remove. Fixing problems with an existing studio is tricky as you can destroy morale by getting rid of large amounts of people weighing the team down if not everyone sees it that way or that just getting rid of the leader that people like. This is why I think it's not a great idea for Microsoft to buy all these mediocre studios and throw money at them. You keep all the bad people there and pad it with new maybe good people. Whereas, if you invested in new studios you at least have the chance of building a team full or at least mostly of good people.

So I was really excited for Halo Infinite as some of you may have been aware. At this point, I'm pretty much done. I really hope this doesn't affect the end result of the game, but at this point getting hyped about Halo doesn't seem smart. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it ends up being awesome. I want Halo to be great, but some of the comments from these ex-employees are really disheartening.

Here's the video, Courtesy of ReviewTechUSA.

Sorry if old.

I mean naughty dog is known to treat its employees bad and look how it’s games come out

Compsiox

Banned
This guy is a drama queen. I used to watch his videos when he first started out but he's obviously full of shit these days.

Top Bottom