• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sigourney Weaver claims there's an R-Rated cut to Galaxy Quest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Story here

Collider said:
“We had lunch with Sigourney [Weaver] who was telling us that there actually used to be an R-rated version of that movie which was awesome. It was the director’s cut and it was R-rated and everybody was swearing and there were sex scenes, and the whole thing. They didn’t know what to do with it, so they had to re-edit the whole thing and made it what it is today. We were like, ‘How do we get our hands on the R-rated version of Galaxy Quest?’ She said ‘I don’t know!’ and we were like, ‘Come on, Sigourney!’ ”

It's obvious that GQ was intended to be at least PG-13 at some point in production, but R-Rated seems kind of out there. When would a sex scene have fit aside from Fred and Laliari, which would have been really weird.

Even if she's overselling it, I'd love to see an director's cut to Galaxy Quest

An R rating kind of is in contrast to the general tone of the movie. I guess it depends what exactly was cut but I don't see how it would enhance the film.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I want to see this. GQ was one of the most surprisingly great movies I've ever seen.

You know, Weaver is a first class shit-stirrer, and you shouldn't believe half of the nonsense that she spews. Almost every unfounded Alien rumor over the past 20 years have originated in her imagination.

"Oh, I had a great conversation with Jimmy Cameron the other day about some new direction for Ripley's saga to go in. Stay tuned!'

Shut up, woman! You are a half step removed from Sean Young.

Nice cleavage in Galaxy Quest though.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
that movie is the best weaver has ever looked, so maybe want.

unless of course the sex scenes are referring to the weird alien things, in which case definitely want.

I'm almost certain she means PG-13. Which we pretty much knew from the movie itself.

By swearing, she means that the precision f-strike, "Well, fuck that!" was intact.
By sex scenes she means there were a few more shots of Fred on the floor with the alien.

Kinyou

sigourney-weaver-galaz4z97.jpg

I.
Need.
To.
See.
This.
Version.

I believe it. When they get to the meat grinder at the end, she very clearly says, "Well, FUCK that!" and they ADR "Well, SCREW that!"

EDIT: Ah, beaten.

duckroll

I thought it was two? Granted, I was told that by a John Travolta character. But, I've never seen a pg13 movie since with two fucks, only a maximum of one, so I've always assumed it was true.

You are allowed to say "fuck" once in a PG-13 movie as long as is it expressed as a swear word instead of a direct insult afaik. If you have a character sale something like "fuck you" or call someone a "motherfucker" or a "sick fuck" or whatever, that immediately pushes the movie to a R rating. That's my understanding anyway.

You are allowed to say "fuck" once in a PG-13 movie as long as is it expressed as a swear word instead of a direct insult afaik. If you have a character sale something like "fuck you" or call someone a "motherfucker" or a "sick fuck" or whatever, that immediately pushes the movie to a R rating. That's my understanding anyway.

However, Anchorman has someone look at the screen and say "Go fuck yourself, San Diego."

MPAA makes no sense.

shuri

Banned
I remember that a workprint of the R rated version was leaked when the movie came out. So yes, it exists.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yeah maybe MPAA just gives some movies a harder time than others depending on the studio or the director. Meh.

They do, and this was well documented in "This Movie is Not Yet Rated" a few years ago. Things have changed a little since then, but not enough.

I remember that a workprint of the R rated version was leaked when the movie came out. So yes, it exists.

Then someone around here has to have seen it. There at least has to be a list of differences or something.

Anchorman was R.

No, it wasn't. There's an unrated version which was released on DVD and became more popular than the theatrical version, but originally it was PG-13 and it still contained the "Go fuck yourself."

Oppo

According to This Movie Has Not Yet Been Rated, all it takes is one depicted female orgasm to send a film straight to NC17 hell.

Just sayin'.

The "you can say "fuck" once" rule makes no sense. Then again, the MPAA doesn't make sense. Most other countries have the "R" rating divided into two, which would make sense. At the moment, movies are filmed and cut to hit a specific rating, which is usually fine, but in some cases it's just stupid.

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps has two fucks.

The Social Network had two.
Forrest Gump had at least two, though one was during a battle scene and very hard to hear ("Get that pig unfucked!")
The Pursuit of Happyness had at least one said and at least one shown in writing. It may have been said twice, I don't recall.
Spaceballs has one and is PG.

Isn't Breaking Bad under a stipulation that only lets it drop an F bomb once a season? THAT is the dumbest thing i've ever heard, although i admit the times its used do become instantly memorable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom