• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 1 contains references to... Kindergarten Cop?

Hyoushi

Saw this linked randomly on Twitter today. Last one is a bit of a stretch, but... wtf

968PI.png

TlTVr.png

ZIJ4K.png

BUoQZ.png

uFpyk.png

bMHkY.png

TENAR.png

from here.

Stoffinator

I guess it was a tumor after all.

Maybe the developers used the movie as what American schools looked like in the 90s. How weird.

Chairhome

Whoaaaaaa. That's pretty compelling evidence. I guess their artists were just lazy and used it as reference, but wow, that's still pretty cool.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Maybe when they were searching for regular elementary schools in America, this came up first. :p

Crazy stuff. Don't think the last one is a stretch at all. Ford #7 school bus can't be a coincidence considering all the other pictures.

Makes sense. Kindergarten Cop was one of the pinnacle moments of cinematic history, there are references to it in many other games.

For instance, detective John Kimble trying desperately to maintain composer while being attacked by half a dozen small children is replicated almost verbatim in God of War 3, with Kratos getting piled on by enemies in God of War 3.

Kimble has to break free of his stoic persona and accept the love of the children in order to grow as a character. Kratos must break free of his enemies to slaughter them in revenge for his own dead child, and become more powerful in doing so.

Plain as day.

Single best thread I've ever seen on Neogaf.

Just fucking awesome how bizarre this is.

Also:

Kindergarten-Cop-Richard-Tyson-Carroll-Baker-1.jpg

These are the most evil characters in ALL OF FICTION.

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
I wonder, if by some freak chance, the developers went to the same school for reference as was used to shoot the film? I know Team Silent did some America-hunting to create locations for the town in Silent Hill 1 and 2; other forums have shown photographic evidence of that.

I always wondered why the team chose the posters they did for Midwich. They seemed not-quite-just-made-up, yet really random.

Great find! Can't wait to see if more information comes of this.

EDIT: The man in that photo looks like Alan Wake...

Yeah remember seeing this some time ago. Whoever did this was no doubt just looking for some quick easy inspiration when making the school.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Holy crap! Who the fuck even notices this shit?

Assuming these shots weren't altered in any way, that's another entry for the mind blowing facts thread.

SmokyDave

Wow, I came in here thinking 'bullshit' but that seems to be an open and shut case.

Now, please be viral marketing for SH:HD. I'd buy that so fast, my wallet would catch fire.

Danielsan

Holy shit. Mind blowing.
Of course they probably just watched Kinder Garten Cop and used their set design as a reference, but it's still fucking awesome.

Who has the penis then? :p

If it were up to the director and screenwriter, no one-- the studio actually forced Avary to write in male characters because some of the first drafts of the script and their original vision called for an all-female cast.

In fact this is pretty evident; it's very easy to see how shoehorned in the Christopher/Gucci subplot was. Like how it randomly cuts from a dark world scene to the husband pulling up at a gas station. THAT wasn't jarring or anything.

Top Bottom