• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 1 contains references to... Kindergarten Cop?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Wow. Now I'm just going to think of Harry Mason as John Kimble whenever I replay SH1.

Mind is blown.

"Are these all your lunches?"
*boy shakes head*
"You mean you eat other people's lunches?"
*boy nods*
"STOP IT!"

The villain:

iOuhk.jpg

rofl

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Most likely the team needed a reference for what an American grade school looked like so that was what they modeled it after. Still a really cool find.

Septimius

The 'reference' thing only falls a bit short by the fact that if you actually use it as reference, you would get the idea of what this school was doing, and then do it a bit differently. The door-way, sure, that can be completely the same, but when you go out of your way to make the same posters and place them in the exact same position, it feels more like some sort of strange homage than 'reference'.

So... you all know what this means, right?

You can actually visit the real Silent Hill school! Get to the choppa! (yeah, yeah, wrong movie, but still...)

Teknoman

Might need to replay SH 1 really fast before the HD collection, and this is a good enough reason as any.

Especially since I got the coma ending on my first playthrough.

Then again it's Konami. Look at the Contra and Castlevania series, movie inspiration all over.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Wish I noticed these when I was playing through it, might have made it less disturbing :p

Cheerilee

Whoaaaaaa. That's pretty compelling evidence. I guess their artists were just lazy and used it as reference, but wow, that's still pretty cool.
I think this comment pretty much hits the nail on the head. I can't see any other reason for any of this.

Doesn't seem to be the case. They went out of their way to accurately re-create these things. Lazy artists would have taken easy shortcuts. Like no lamps beside the doors. Or no arches over the lamps. Or no windows inside the doors. Or no windows above the doors.

They used pixel art to recreate the length and spacing of unintelligible words on posters.

They did it because Kindergarten Cop.

They used pixel art to recreate the length and spacing of unintelligible words on posters.

Everything looks like pixel art at that resolution :p Doesn't mean they didn't create them at a decent size before downscaling.

I think that poster with the spiral is literally a video grab, the shading on the background looks identical. The white dog thing probably started off the same way.
Or maybe they remade that with a photo of a toy, I think I remember being creeped out by that poster. heh

Soule

Wow the bus one is so subtle they should've highlighted it because I was another person kinda thinking that there wasn't anything special until that post last page about the 7 and whatnot.

This is pretty cool.

i've been wanting to finally play the original Silent Hill, but now i will not be able to take it seriously lol

damnit.

but still, what an awesomely bizarre thing :D

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Single best thread I've ever seen on Neogaf.

Just fucking awesome how bizarre this is.

Also:

Kindergarten-Cop-Richard-Tyson-Carroll-Baker-1.jpg

These are the most evil characters in ALL OF FICTION.

I remember when the that guy used to be in some tv series called 'Hardball' and it was awesome. It was right up there with Hardcastle & McCormack and Riptide!

Top Bottom