• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition Demonstration Trailer.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Maybe Konami knows somethign we dont but how do they not see they would be swimming in money if they did a remake of SH2 and MGS1. Just get those BluePoint guys to do it.

Yeah erm... are we thinking about the same Konami here? Because the Konami I’m thinking of follow a strict formula: is it a good idea? Do people want it? Will it make us popular? FUCK YOU.

nkarafo

It seems to work fine but the game takes forever to load when i start it. At first i thought the game didn't load or crashed. And about a minute later it loaded. That's how long it does to start.

Orta

Banned
Do any of these mods include full native support for modern controllers or do you still have to use a third party app like xpadder?

johntown

Banned
During the install process you can install custom xpadder software but there is no native support for a controller.

scalman

i know its cool and all but
images

all i want is SH1 remake/reboot

LUXURY

Eh... I feel like if you follow all the instructions in the other topic where you can get the enhancement packages (and FMVs) that is all you really need. Some of this looks to be changing things that really don't need to be changed. It's excellent it can be done and I have nothing but respect for the people involved though.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In the eighth update video for Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition, we go over new features for the project, such as the introduction of an installer and launcher, a built-from-scratch custom streaming audio engine, and more.

0:00 - Introduction
0:45 - Setup Tool (Installer)
3:12 - Configuration Tool (Launcher)
4:28 - Custom Streaming Audio Engine
8:11 - FMV Enhancement Pack Update
10:02 - FMV Scaling
10:28 - Contain FMV Noise
10:50 - Game Result Load Fix
11:24 - Correct BGM on Menu Pull-ups
12:25 - Specific Sound Looping Fix
14:16 - Visual Fading Fixes
15:24 - Cutscene Camera Adjustments
16:32 - Upscaled Image Refinements
16:59 - Save Screen Adjustments
17:58 - Restore Alternate Stomp
18:59 - Change Closet Spawn
19:58 - Additional Update Features
20:36 - Closing Remarks

Last edited:
I hope this update fixes the issue I have where if it forces a single thread I get constant hard stutters (and obviously multithread just crashes but the frame rate is at least stable) because I keep wanting to replay this now I have an OLED but it won't freaking work!

Doczu

How easy is this to install? I remember trying to play SH2 on PC a few years ago and it took ages to set up
Last year it took me around 30 mins to install everything and play.

I had some issues with hdmi out signal, but the problems were hardware based.

nkarafo

How so?

Pcsx2 = up to 8k, widescreen, full smoke effects, 16x AF, controller support of course.

What exactly is it missing?

The fog effects are fully restored in this enhanced version and it's 100% on par with the PS2 version. Same with controller support. Resolution/AA/AF, etc are also a given for any PC game. Other things like soft shadows and original quality 60fps videos are also restored and upscaled. Widescreen is also supported and all assets are modified to properly support it, instead of having to see cropping bugs here and there. Not to mention all the upscaled/remastered 2D assets.

Next version will also have proper 60fps. You can't beat that.

One of the things the Playstation 2 is missing and was improved in the other ports is the better flashlight effect that is present in the PC and XBOX versions. It looks like a proper, rounded, smooth light, while on the PS2 version you get obvious lit polygons.

Last edited:

Doczu

How so?

Pcsx2 = up to 8k, widescreen, full smoke effects, 16x AF, controller support of course.

What exactly is it missing?
PC enhanced version has everything you mentioned (yes, fog effects have been fixed) and has the added benefits of per pixel lighting effects of your flashlight and ahadows

ShadowNate

Very good news. I am looking forward to replaying the game with their latest update.

If Bloober botch the remake, at least I'll have this one as the definitive version of the game. Which it probably is regardless of the remake.

Doczu

Crazy. What a labor of love.
It is, and it saddens me thst SH3 is getting no love and i had a lot of issues to get it working. Couldn't even get it to work smoothly, stuttering and frame drops all the way. Couldn't force myself to play 😥

decisions

It is, and it saddens me thst SH3 is getting no love and i had a lot of issues to get it working. Couldn't even get it to work smoothly, stuttering and frame drops all the way. Couldn't force myself to play 😥

I found an “enhanced edition” mod of SH3 on an internet archive link and it was perfect. Not as many upgrades as SH2: EE but, had Ultrawide and supported modern resolutions.

consoul

I love that it is 2023 and we're talking about the PC version of SH2 being modded to have features as good as the PS2 game.

It's clear the modded PC version is now the best option, but it's amazing that the original 2001 PS2 game had features like 60fps FMVs and superior fog effects that weren't matched on PC until ages later and only through dedicated fan efforts.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I just noticed there's even an article about this exact comparison (PCSX2 VS Enhanced Edition) in their web page:

[/URL][/URL]
this is a bit of a biased comparison though, no? it's on a site that promotes the Enhanced Edition. I've seen the EE crash many times during certain FMVs. Also, this statement is wrong:

With the PlayStation 2 version, you can only save in-game via designated spots found throughout the game. Using a standard PlayStation 2 memory card (8 MB), you can save your game approximately 83 times within the game's own ecosystem. Playing on PCSX2, you can use save states to save anywhere and at any time. PCSX2 offers 10 quick save state slots per game along with the ability to create and load additional, external save states for a theoretical limitless amount of save states.

The PS2 version of SH2 has a hidden feature where you can save anywhere.

Save Anywhere​

This hidden feature has a more complex set of button combinations that need to be input to bring up the save menu anywhere. Have control over your character, and then press the following buttons: D-Pad Left + Left Analog Stick Left + Right Analog Stick Left + L2 + L1 + L3.

Doczu

this is a bit of a biased comparison though, no? it's on a site that promotes the Enhanced Edition. I've seen the EE crash many times during certain FMVs. Also, this statement is wrong:

The PS2 version of SH2 has a hidden feature where you can save anywhere.
Well ok, a hidden save function and the fact the pc version is crashing on some FMVs is a sign the PS2 is still superior?

nkarafo

this is a bit of a biased comparison though, no? it's on a site that promotes the Enhanced Edition.
Well, obviously the whole point of this project is to be the best version for this game. Is it really biased if it's true? And other than the somewhat recently found save cheat (i didn't even know it existed until you mentioned it) all the other information in the comparisons is correct. Which indeed makes the EE the best way to play this game and the "proper" 60fps feature will only widen the gap further. There's literally nothing left that the PS2 original (or emulated) does better anymore compared to this, unless you really want to play the game using the pressure sensitive buttons.

I own this game in all platforms and i always preferred the PS2 version, but this one combines all the good stuff from all versions in one package, without any of their regressions. At least it does after the last sound engine update. Now all that is left is additional bonuses, like the 60fps and mouse controls feature. But even if the project stops now, their goal is already reached.

I've seen the EE crash many times during certain FMVs.
I haven't played the whole game yet (i'm waiting for the 60fps option) but i tested it for a while, after the 6th update or so. It hasn't crashed on me yet. So, what FMVs cause crashes? Did you report them? Maybe these are fixed by now?

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

0:00 - Introduction
1:10 - Xidi (Improved Controller Support)
2:05 - Proper 60 FPS Mode
7:30 - Full Mouse Support
9:27 - Input Improvements
10:08 - Toggle Walk/Run
11:07 - Strafe Keys for Menu Navigation
11:21 - Command Window Mouse Fix
11:45 - 0-9 Weapon Bind Fix
12:45 - Restored Japanese Language
13:27 - Improved HD Font Support
13:51 - FMV Subtitle Render Order Fix
14:12 - Debug Overlay
14:48 - Info Overlay
15:45 - CRT Shader
17:00 - Quick Save Cosmetic Tweaks
18:12 - Setup & Config Tool Language Options
19:00 - Translation Pack Support
21:48 - Additional Update Features
23:37 - Closing Remarks

Doczu

You know what really grinds my gears?

Should Konami ever (re) release Silent Hill 2 it won't be a product of care and love like this thing.

Thry should just make it official.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
carl-chef-kiss.gif

Yeah, they definitely should. This being officially released alongside the Remake would be a rather smart move, actually.
Bank on the Remake, bank on the OG due to all the inevitable complaints about the Remake. Everyone wins.
Make it a pre-order on the deluxe edition. Then six months later sell it for $10… Win Win…

Top Bottom