• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 3 graphics...I said WOW!

Kraftwerk

Holy mother of God this game looks good. The character models are simply stunning.

Last I played this was when it came out, and I got scared. Shut it off after 5 minutes ;___;

Saw it for cheap at my local shop and picked it up.

SO GOOD! I cannot believe this game is almost a decade old.

Still don't do it justice, so here is an HD video for SH3 glory.

Play it in 720p

My second favorite SH game and yes it was quite a looker in it's day, i can see why it might hold up now. The faces are still pretty amazing I bet.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Something I kind of wondered about this. I remember reading about the HD collection coming out for console, but will things like geometry and textures actually be that much improved or will PC players already have seen what is coming?

Oni Jazar

Joseph Merrick said:
shit I was too slow for old man mention

paKKD.gif

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Can't wait to see how it will look in PS3 version. Probably my favorite SH game of all time.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I always like 3 more than 2. But that may be because I played 3 first.

YEah, the game was AMAZING looking when it came out. Expecially the lighting and textures. Totally blown away there by what they did on a PS2

Lime

Proof that Team Silent sold their soul to the devil.

It's probably the best visual aesthetics in a video game ever. No hyperbole.

If the game were to be released as it is in the present day, with some animation fixes, it would still look impressive.

That team was so small, I still can't believe they pulled that kind of power out of the ps2.
lQKr1.png

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Typographenia said:
If the game were to be released as it is in the present day, with some animation fixes, it would still look impressive.

That team was so small, I still can't believe they pulled that kind of power out of the ps2.
They clearly sold their souls.

The PC version was seriously one of the most amazing looking games I'd ever seen back when it came out. It still holds up today, with only the wonky controls holding it back.

I played through silent hill 2 recently in 1080p and with forced AA and stuff like that and yeah that is just as amazing. Sorry for the white artifacts in some screens, got a tip on how to remove them during the playthrough (enabled supersampling which for some reason does that). It's hard to believe it's a 10 years old game.

sh2pc2011-06-1701-12-2iuu2.jpg

sh2pc2011-06-1618-49-0gngb.jpg

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Comparing the two I think Silent Hill 3 may have higher resolution for its textures than Homecoming. Man Konami went an extra mile with the PC ports of 2 and 3, 3 more so thanks to the downsampling, makes it look so smooth. The higher res textures for the PC version of 3 helps too.

Johann

weeaboo said:
The models are fucking incredible even today.

They pulled it off since the level layout was very small and done by a bunch of five year olds. Seriously, Konami got a bunch of small children to design the blue prints for the levels in Silent Hill 3.

Shadow of the BEAST said:
I cant understand why they are letting sub standard western teams destroy their most precious ips.

Man the Japanese are stupid this generation.

They just don't care about the quality that much, they got a very strong movie franchise called silent hill now with some games attached to it. Even now where it seems like they got some devs that actually understands the series they go behind the developers backs and hire fucking korn to do a the theme song. Even Daniel Licht had nothing to do with that decision and he is making the soundtrack.

I actually think both shattered memories and origins were decent silent hill games, homecoming was not just a bad silent hill game it was a terrible game too with all the bugs and looking like a early rushed up-ressed ps2 version with zero understanding of silent hill.

Johann said:
They pulled it off since the level layout was very small and done by a bunch of five year olds. Seriously, Konami got a bunch of small children to design the blue prints for the levels in Silent Hill 3.

What? I heard the story of the kids drawing the maps, as in the in draw them after team silent already made maps but to re draw them look like something a child had done. Not actually design the places.

Grisby

Really impressive visuals when you could see them (early levels were a bit too dark for my liking). Not my favorite SH but a damn good one.

It does have one of my favorite moments of any game though. Coming home to your apartment and...well, I'll leave it at that.

Zane

Oni Jazar said:

How was this done? No, seriously. Tech-wise, how did they pull this off?

I've seen this GIF countless times and it still blows my mind that this was done on a PS2. Never played the game, though.

Johann

BatmanBatmanBatman said:
What? I heard the story of the kids drawing the maps, as in the in draw them after team silent already made maps but to re draw them look like something a child had done. Not actually design the places.

I know that. Konami had seem real tech wizards that did some impressive work on the PS2 hardware. A lot of it was smoke and mirrors but it still was very impressive. It really makes you wonder what happened to them this generation. It's likely their development style and team sizes didn't transition well into HD development.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Johann said:
First I thought you were insulting the team due to incompetence then my mind was blown.

^^^^^ dat room

Kinda off topic and yes, both SH2 and SH3 (specially 2 considering its age) look absurdly good, even more if you play the PC versions. BUT! what I wanted to say is that I finally played through Heavy Rain three days ago and GODDAMN, it's one of the best looking console games I've seen, and I've played Uncharted, KZ, GT, Gears 3, and all that. I, too, said WOW.

Johann said:
I know that.

Sorry think I misunderstood you then.

Risk Breaker said:
Kinda off topic and yes, both SH2 and SH3 (specially 2 considering its age) look absurdly good, even more if you play the PC versions. BUT! what I wanted to say is that I finally played through Heavy Rain three days ago and GODDAMN, it's one of the best looking console games I've seen, and I've played Uncharted, KZ, GT, Gears 3, and all that. I, too, said WOW.

Yeah I agree heavy rain is up there as one of my favorite looking games of all time, still hate what they did to the story though.

madara

I could never play this game for more then few mins. The same rusty color look over and over I would literally get nauseous playing it.

Endesu

Silent Hill 3 still looks as amazing as always, probably the most graphically impressive game to come out on the PS2. I also remember Haunting Ground looking pretty damned fine when it came out.

legacyzero said:
That's if they dont destroy it like they are with SH2 in that same collection...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRtrO-eSwVw&feature=channel_video_title
Ugh, why can I not escape those two. They're ruining my life with their horrible facts opinions.

Leona Lewis said:
The texture detail is incredible. It's a shame most people probably played it on crappy tube TV's like I was forced to.
I have been meaning to replay SH3 again on my newer television, but I always get something else taking priority. Now I just feel bad. : (

great character models, small dark gritty environments... it's held up really nicely. i'd love some of the environment textures to get cleaned up... but there isn't much else i think it really needs.

Typographenia said:
Ugh, why can I not escape those two. They're ruining my life with their horrible facts opinions.
i know how you feel.

plagiarize said:
Cause there is no way that the performances in SH2 could ever be matched right?

Destroyed just seems like an exaggeration.

They could be and probably will for the most part, SH2 voice acting was both fantastic and bad at times. But why mess with it? Just pay the fucking actors konami, a new voice, animations and maybe even look will no doubt make the game radically different and that's a pretty big no no in a game that is so much focused on the characters as SH.

Silent hill 3 I don't really remember any bad voice acting in but even if there was some at times I certainly would never want them to replace Heathers voice actress, amazing performance from her.

Knowing konami they will mess it up, badly.

legacyzero

Banned
Why all the hate towards Twin Perfect? You guys say "opinion" yet they seem to back up all of those so called "opinions" with evidence.

Lime

legacyzero said:
Why all the hate towards Twin Perfect? You guys say "opinion" yet they seem to back up all of those so called "opinions" with evidence.

I think they lose a lot of listeners/viewers on their method of delivery. If they tried conveying their research and opinions in a less snarky and nerdy tone and more sober and thoughtful manner, their points would be far more digestible.

Top Bottom