• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 3 graphics...I said WOW!

Grisby

RockXLight said:
So why is that Western devs nowadays can't seem to match the character modeling prowess that was on show 8 years ago in Silent Hill 3?

Silent Hill: Homecoming: Looks like ass.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories: Looks like ass

Silent Hill: Downpour: So far, it looks like ass

It's not just Konami, but it seems to me that nearly all American and European devs
totally suck at making appeal 3D models of human characters. The characters are never as visually appealing as they are intended to be, and the lip-syncing of the characters--even of games that were written in English--is usually atrocious.
Meanwhile, Remedy spent years developing Alan Wake, and it's as ugly as sin. What hope does the Silent Hill series have of ever looking as good as it with Silent Hill 3 and 4 if Konami Co. doesn't start developing it in-house again?

To you maybe. I think all of the recent SH games you listed look great. What they did with 3 was impressive but 4 wasn't in my book.

And Alan Wake ugly as sin? Thats some opinion based shit there.

Grisby said:
To you maybe. I think all of the recent SH games you listed look great. What they did with 3 was impressive but 4 wasn't in my book.

Even Homecoming? I actually think SM looks good for a Wii game (and Downpour looked good in some earlier shots)

Despera

Banned
Grisby said:
It's not opinion based, it's the truth. Have you seen Alan's facial expressions? Have you seen his wife and how she looks when she talks? Awful.

Mr_Zombie

Risk Breaker said:
Homecoming doesn't look much worse than Downpour.
Yes, yes it does.
Characters models look ridiculously bad, assets are constantly reused (how many times does that dead body appear during the game?), there're lots of copy-paste work (the entire Hotel), some textures remember the PSX era... The game has its moments, but overall it isn't a looker.

Downpour, from what I've seen, looks much better.

Throavium

Typographenia said:
lQKr1.png

Much respect to these people.

This game was made by 13 people? Christ, there are indie PC-only devs bigger than that. Someone get all them back together and give them a Steam contract to make whatever they want and publish it in the indie sphere.

Karkador

Banned
Team Silent was amazing, and it's such a shame that they were disbanded. The PS2 Silent Hill games were guaranteed Day 1 games for me, and I always knew I was in for a unique and artistically awesome adventure experience.

I think even SH4, despite its flaws, is better than what the franchise turned into after the first movie came out, and that's because it's still unmistakenly a Team Silent product. I hope that game gets more love as time goes on and people miss Team Silent more.

LQX said:
Had it for the PC and could not get use to the controls so I sold it. Most fucked up controls next to Indigo Prophecy I have seen on the PC.

people like you are the reason why we can't have nice things.

Karkador said:
Team Silent was amazing, and it's such a shame that they were disbanded. The PS2 Silent Hill games were guaranteed Day 1 games for me, and I always knew I was in for a unique and artistically awesome adventure experience.

I think even SH4, despite its flaws, is better than what the franchise turned into after the first movie came out, and that's because it's still unmistakenly a Team Silent product. I hope that game gets more love as time goes on and people miss Team Silent more.

Ever since the movie the series became tainted with all the fan fic bullshit, being "fans of the series" is good enough to qualify a shitty western developer to make a sequel.

_dementia said:
Can't wait to finally play this in the HD collection. I loved SH2, but for some reason never got SH3.
It's quite a different beast from SH2. Most people tend to fall on the SH2 or SH3 sides for a reason.

Still, it's a great game, at the end of the day.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Yeah its pretty sad that the character models in an 8 year old LAST-GEN game still look better than stuff that's getting made at the end of the CURRENT GEN life cycle.

To the two guys that have complain about the game because the controls...

I though that this was already discussed in other thread but anyways.. You just had to enter the "Options Menu" and change it from 3D (controls like Resident Evil 1-CV) to 2D (IMO this should have been the "default control type" in SH1-3 is sooo much better.. then again is just my opinion). Easy as that. ^_-.

And yeah.. to date Silent Hill 2 has the best story and silent hill 3 the best graphics and effects (loved when the walls began to bleed.. with vein everywhere X3...)(of course one plus for SH3 is that the game closes the story arc that began with SH1).

Gentleman Jack said:
The 2003 game only had 13 people working on it, too. How big was DA2's development staff?

Jigsaw said:
i had no idea the team was that small *mind blown*

faceless007 said:
This game was made by 13 people? Christ, there are indie PC-only devs bigger than that. Someone get all them back together and give them a Steam contract to make whatever they want and publish it in the indie sphere.

No that is not the whole team, read the thread and see that it's far from the whole team. There was 23 people just modelling the areas in SH3. That photo is apparently just of the most important/known devs of team silent. Not trying to take anything away from how amazing it looks even today but it's not some small indie size developer of super humans who made it.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/ps2/silent-hill-3/credits

Alternatively if you don't believe mobygames for whatever reason the credits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKdzVx6cHMc

Blood Boal said:
I though that this was already discussed in other thread but anyways.. You just had to enter the "Options Menu" and change it from 3D (controls like Resident Evil 1-CV) to 2D (IMO this should have been the "default control type" in SH1-3 is sooo much better.. then again is just my opinion). Easy as that.
The control method is still awful, regardless of which mode you choose.
I always go tank controls. oooooh, yeah!

Mr_Zombie said:
Yes, yes it does.
Characters models look ridiculously bad, assets are constantly reused (how many times does that dead body appear during the game?), there're lots of copy-paste work (the entire Hotel), some textures remember the PSX era... The game has its moments, but overall it isn't a looker.

Downpour, from what I've seen, looks much better.

I agree but honestly Downpour has shown some stuff that is even below homecoming. Downpour seems to range from fantastic looking to completely shit, even with the normal unreal engine look I still like it better overall so far than what homecoming showed pre release. I really hope it will be great and it sounds like vatra are a team that actually understands silent hill and what strengths the game needs to play on, they however also sound over ambitious with and it could end up rushed and buggy with very rough spots.

But yeah this is just embarrassing to release no matter how early the build was you just don't show stuff like this close up, if the design wasn't terrible enough by itself :

WJe1g.jpg

Lime

An even more incredible fact about the development of SH3 is that the budget of the game was $3 million, according to Mobygames. Three. Million. That's nothing compared to contemporary budgets.

Typographenia said:
The control method is still awful, regardless of which mode you choose.
I always go tank controls. oooooh, yeah!

The control method is the same as every other contemporary third person-controlled game, so I wouldn't call either SH2 or 3's control methods awful at all (unless you really dislike analogue 3rd person movement?)

Drewfonse

Loved 1 and 2, but never played 3. It's available for $20-$25 on Amazon, but I'm not sure if
I should pick it up or just wait for the Collection. How does 3 look when played on the PS3? I know that the game doesn't support 16:9, so I assume that the image is stretched for widescreen TVs.

sphinx

the piano man
That pic with the dev team looks really badass, congrats to them for creating the SH series.

but I am not sure why people do as if Origins doesn't exist. It's SH through and through and definitely on par with silent hill 2 and very likeable.

Grisby

Despera said:
It's not opinion based, it's the truth. Have you seen Alan's facial expressions? Have you seen his wife and how she looks when she talks? Awful.

Facial expressions are a weak point yeah, but the game as a whole looks amazing.

And yeah, I thought Homecoming looked pretty good. Not the best looking Silent Hill no, but I felt a lot of areas were decent enough.

sphinx said:
That pic with the dev team looks really badass, congrats to them for creating the SH series.

but I am not sure why people do as if Origins doesn't exist. It's SH through and through and definitely on par with silent hill 2 and very likeable.

It was pretty alright and way better than homecoming but it had no real memorable moments, a not so great story, dumb gameplay and no real great new creatures either. Fairly enjoyable but doesn't come close to SH1, 2 and 3 to me.

Grisby said:
And yeah, I thought Homecoming looked pretty good. Not the best looking Silent Hill no, but I felt a lot of areas were decent enough.

The only area that imo looked any good was hell descent and the Alex parents house after the shit going down in there. Some of the creature designs were pretty damn good though, shame the combat was so bad.

Lime said:
The control method is the same as every other contemporary third person-controlled game, so I wouldn't call either SH2 or 3's control methods awful at all (unless you really dislike analogue 3rd person movement?)
That type of free third person control is an annoyance of mine when it inolves fixed camera angles. I still firmly stand behind my belief that there isn't a silent hill game with good controls. There are passable control methods, but none of them have been the "yes, this is how this series should be controlled" yet.

I try to hunt down the Press Kit for the game for ages. If anyone can find either a link, or a copy to get (buy) somewhere, somehow, I would be very very glad for you.

I didn't liked this third game as much as the first two, but I have to admit, that the graphics are insanely good :)

Lime

miraclehappen said:
I try to hunt down the Press Kit for the game for ages. If anyone can find either a link, or a copy to get (buy) somewhere, somehow, I would be very very glad for you.

I didn't liked this third game as much as the first two, but I have to admit, that the graphics are insanely good :)

Typographenia posted some of it back on the first page, but I got all of it, plus some extra pictures and wallpapers included if you want it to be uploaded somewhere.

Typographenia said:
That type of free third person control is an annoyance of mine when it inolves fixed camera angles. I still firmly stand behind my belief that there isn't a silent hill game with good controls. There are passable control methods, but none of them have been the "yes, this is how this series should be controlled" yet.

I think it's a matter of taste/being accustomed to/having learned the way of controlling a character in a 3D space from a fixed camera angle. I personally have no qualms controlling a character with differing camera angles and I actually much prefer fixed camera angles rather than a constant monotonous character-fixated camera. Therefore, the issue is too subjective. However I would say that controlling a character in 3D space from a fixed camera angle is a minor hindrance that one in my opinion should be able to easily overcome if the experience itself is sufficiently engaging (if that makes any sense).

Afrikan

for what it is worth, here is Team Siren's work as far as player models....I think Team Silent (3) would give props, especially with what is out there today to be compared.

021008125433_siren-blood-curse.jpg

Siren-Blood-Curse-Enemies.jpg

Looks like I am going to have to finish 3+4 now -.- Turned Homecoming off when got to that scene with the baby/young child behind the bars... 5mins in or something lol! Game freaks me out.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Me and my wife are diehard Silent Hill fans, but Homecoming was shit on a stick.

A bunch of poorly executed, regurgitated Silent Hill plot elements. If you're going to try and redux Silent Hill 2...think twice, then don't do it.

The Silent Hill world is a great backdrop to what is, essentially, some effed up character stories.

I always loved the Jacob's Ladder-esque twisted mind-f*ck that the early Silent Hill's evoked.

The Room was a strange experiment, but I did enjoy the story, if not the actual game play. Walter Sullivan is a scary person, so learning more about his past was nice.

The first 3 are still my favorites, with 2 and 3 warring for my fav in the series (I think mood and narrative goes to SH2, but I think SH3 had better controlling game play; and the Beamsaber...).

Origins was interesting, and I did like revisiting the familiar Silent Hill 1 map, but Homecoming was trash. Horrible characters, horrible visuals, horrible narrative, with absolutely no narrative "umph" or surprises.

Downpour has me cautiously optimistic, but I'm afraid that they are going to try and ape Silent Hill 2, instead of forging a new path.

I'd have loved to have seen a Silent Hill game set in the early 1900's or before, when the town was first settled, and explore a crazy, twisted narrative surrounding the early settlers of the town.

Even a "noire-esque" story involving a Private Eye who is drawn into the mystery and random disappearances of people that go to the town would be great, only to have to confront his/her own demons and past.

The series has a lot of potential still as a Survival Horror series, but I just lost all enthusiasm once Team Silent checked out, and now not even Yamaoka is doing the sound design. *sigh*.

Kraftwerk said:
p.s I can only play it if someone else is with me. ;____;
If you can manage to beat one of these games by yourself, you'll pretty much be able to brave almost any survival horror game afterwards. BE STRONG!

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
Somewhat off the topic, but relevant to SH3 fans.

This remake of the intro movie done in LBP2 I just saw was pretty neat
Oh man, I don't know why I forgot about that! Whoever made it did an incredible job, and I never would have thought you could do something like that in LBP2.

Yep, game was amazing for PS2 and it runs at 480p with the HD boot disk. It looks pretty incredible to this day running on a nice CRT. Keep in mind they were pulling this off without normal maps, parallax maps, etc. It's pretty much raw polys, textures, and post processing. Sure, it's a little jaggy and low res today but, back then it was hot sex.

And remember if you play SH2 on PS2 you must get the Greatest Hits version as it has all the added effects of the Xbox version.

Oh, and for anyone interested here is the real Silent Hill:
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Centralia,_Pennsylvania

Top Bottom