• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 3 graphics...I said WOW!

legacyzero said:
Why all the hate towards Twin Perfect? You guys say "opinion" yet they seem to back up all of those so called "opinions" with evidence.

They do while completely ignoring other evidence. Agree with a lot of what they say but they just come off as assholes most of the time when trying to be funny.

kunonabi

Yeah I refuse to play SH3 with anyone else doing Heather. To be honest I compare just about every game to SH3's graphics, just amazing work by those people. The whole package was just amazing and it still ranks as number 5 on my 50 greatest games of all time list.

legacyzero

Banned
Lime said:
I think they lose a lot of listeners/viewers on their method of delivery. If they tried conveying their research and opinions in a less snarky and nerdy tone and more sober and thoughtful manner, their points would be far more digestible.

I wont argue with that. I would say that's their method, and it can be entertaining. But I understand what you're saying.

Their execution and their validity are two separate things.

BatmanBatmanBatman said:
They do while completely ignoring other evidence. Agree with a lot of what they say but they just come off as assholes most of the time when trying to be funny.

They clearly stated what types of "evidence" they wouldn't be using, and why, since the very beginning . Seems to make sense why, at least to me.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
legacyzero said:
Why all the hate towards Twin Perfect? You guys say "opinion" yet they seem to back up all of those so called "opinions" with evidence.
I dislike them just because of the melodramatic "RE-RECORDED VOICE ACTING". He might be melodramatic but you can hear the nerd-rage within.

And whining about Trophy notifications when you can turn them off is just dumb

Lime

I also find the facial animations extremely good for their time:

face_animations0jq4.gif

legacyzero said:
I wont argue with that. I would say that's their method, and it can be entertaining. But I understand what you're saying.

Their execution and their validity are two separate things.

Agreed.

legacyzero said:
Yeah, except for when they blatantly pick and choose their sources. I can't recall which it was specifically, but I remember not long ago they cited a source they claimed they wouldn't use at the start of the Silent Hill experience because of inconsistency. (edit: I think it might have been the sh3 guidebook)

Also, they tend to be really biased with their presentation, information they use, and just overall really hypocritical. They do a really great job with production and it's easy to see they really care about the franchise, but their presence only hurts the series more than helps, in my opinion.

Anyways, back to the subject at hand.

BatmanBatmanBatman said:
Silent hill 3 I don't really remember any bad voice acting in but even if there was some at times I certainly would never want them to replace Heathers voice actress, amazing performance from her.
You must have forgotten Vincent and Douglas, then. They had some pretty flat or just bad deliveries more often than not.

PICTURE TIME!

Giant Heather image
Giant Heather image 2
Giant Douglas image
Giant Claudia image

GVPz6.jpg

FwRkT.jpg

HrPeQ.jpg

XOMHs.jpg

p6Aeh.jpg

I have more, if anyone wants me to keep posting.

legacyzero

Banned
Easy_D said:
I dislike them just because of the melodramatic "RE-RECORDED VOICE ACTING". He might be melodramatic but you can hear the nerd-rage within.

I agree with that. that's a bit much.

Edit: looking at those pics, I should have left the film grain on...

silent hill 3 sure is a good looking game, shame it's not really a good game.

it was always gonna be hard following on from silent hill 2

Quikies83

Never have I ever been so afraid (from a video game) as I was the time my buddy and I hit the mirror room in SH3.... sheeeeesh
I couldn't wait to get out of that fuckin room.

I'll be buying a PS3 JUST for SH and ICO/Colossus collections.... and then I'll get to try out the Siren series.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
legacyzero said:
I agree with that. that's a bit much.
And they just made their rant about the HD collection completely pointless. "Baww new voices! New models! New motion caps! This is horrible!!!"

Then they talk about the PC releases, saying the collection isn't necessary. Well there you have it, you babies. Just play the PC versions then.

And what do they even mean with "HD is a lie anyway"?

However, I'm all for supporting Guy and any other voice talent that has worked with Konami and gotten screwed over but their senseless whining is just annoying.

Now I realise the great irony in my post, whining about whining. If they cut their snarky attitude out and removed dumb whining and just kept it to facts like reasons why voice will be changed, etc, it would be so much better.

This looks like incoherent rantings of an annoyed old man or something, :lol

Edit: And them acting as if SH2 had the greatest voice acting ever. It's not bad but it's not exactly..great.

maskrider

Typographenia said:
If the game were to be released as it is in the present day, with some animation fixes, it would still look impressive.

That team was so small, I still can't believe they pulled that kind of power out of the ps2.
lQKr1.png

It's been a long while since I scanned and created the picture.

Here is a big one (the original that I'd created long time ago).

teamsilenthill3.jpg

Strife91

maskrider said:
It's been a long while since I scanned and created the picture.

Here is a big one (the original that I'd created long time ago).

teamsilenthill3.jpg

What? There are cute girls working in video games?

Typographenia said:
If the game were to be released as it is in the present day, with some animation fixes, it would still look impressive.

That team was so small, I still can't believe they pulled that kind of power out of the ps2.
lQKr1.png

Blast it gentlemen, don't open old wounds anew.

Easy_D said:
And what do they even mean with "HD is a lie anyway"?
The game will only run at 720p (my one real upset), and they say at the bottom in captions that HD is actually 1080p or higher.

Wow, maskrider, I never would have guessed that originated from a fellow member!
I have that large one saved in my image folder, but I couldn't bother to track it down; just googled it instead. Thanks for posting the superior version, though!

Strife91 said:
What? There are cute girls working in video games?
According to the team, they were responsible for Heather turning out how she did. Originally, the design for Heather was much more conservative, but the female staff pushes to make her a little more "sexier" (I believe is what they said). I'm really glad they made them change her up more, because I think she has an instantly recognizable look about her.

Terak said:
Silent Hill 3 graphics > Silent Hill 5 and 6 graphics IMHO
You also need to take into account that they reused a lot of assets from SH2 and it's a fairly small game. I'm not going to say it still doesn't outshine recent titles in many regards, but let's keep it a little in perspective, haha.

LQX

Had it for the PC and could not get use to the controls so I sold it. Most fucked up controls next to Indigo Prophecy I have seen on the PC.

profit

This thread reminds me that I have never actually played a silent hill game. I've played all the Resident Evils and I love the survival horror genre (RE2 my favorite). What game is good to start with in the series?

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Lol at the anteater like thing in the hallway.

Definitely looks impressive, I guess I'm going to have to pick it up.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Typographenia said:
lQKr1.png

lol, that's why such games are made by indies only nowadays.

but where are texture artists??? animators? someone is missing, that's for sure.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Easy_D said:
You cannot disable trophy notification on PS3. Amazing, I know. And yes, it would suck with a game like this as it will suck in Ico and SotC remake. At least there's kind of a way around it, like it was done in Heavy Rain.

Also, for your earlier post - I'm pretty sure texture resolution is actually identical in PC version. The textures were crazy to begin with it's just that sometimes you can see that better thanks to high resolution you can have it running on PC. Pretty sure SH2 was kinda crap on PC btw, I remember shadows were nowhere as good as on PS2.

Oni Jazar said:
Playing this game on an LCD would be a shame.

C'mon OLED TVs!
Plasma will do!

Are you using the FOV hack tool to correct the FOV in 1080p? I can't seem to get it working in Windows 7. What am I doing wrong?:(

EDIT: ...and nevermind. As soon as I posted, I got it working at 1080p. Nice!

Angry Fork

I wish I was rich so I could buy the SH IP and convince the original Team Silent team to come back together and make an exclusive PC Silent Hill that takes advantage of the best hardware. It would be a dream come true.

The PS2 version is still impressive even after so much time has past. The PC version is immortal. I can't believe how amazing that port was and it's a bloody shame Konami hasn't put it or SH2 on Steam or any other DD service.

subversus said:
lol, that's why such games are made by indies only nowadays.

but where are texture artists??? animators? someone is missing, that's for sure.

It's not the entire team. It's just some of the major players on it.

I remember reading psm or something that the first games fmv was done by one dude alone.

These are extremely talented people. Sadly they are probably working on some shitty handheld game today.

Why arent western companies investing in japanese talent. They have some of the most techically skilled people around, and they all have wages a step above eastern europe. And its all going to waste because of shitty management and hardware choices.

SolidSnakex said:
It's not the entire team. It's just some of the major players on it.

Yeah you are right.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/ps2/silent-hill-3/credits

Shadow of the BEAST said:
I remember reading psm or something that the first games fmv was done by one dude alone.

These are extremely talented people. Sadly they are probably working on some shitty handheld game today.

Most of them still works with Konami (Kojima productions, the PES team and more) and a few has moved on to other studios like Akira.

This game also has one of the most impactful character deaths I've ever seen:

Harry. =(

I'm not ashamed to say, I get sad just thinking about it.

Utako

Banned
Typographenia said:

lQKr1.png
It's probably because of the women on the team. I would sure as hell be motivated.

Especially Motomi. And she's a model designer for Silent Hill, so she's likely a total freak. :D

Grisby

Neuromancer said:
This game also has one of the most impactful character deaths I've ever seen:

Harry. =(

I'm not ashamed to say, I get sad just thinking about it.

Spoilers:
The guy goes through all of that shit in the first game only to be killed on his sofa in the third. I too get sad.

Mooreberg

SH3 was definitely one of the best looking console games last gen. Their engine programmer must be quite good at what he does. Where did all these people besides Yamaoka scatter to?

Is SH2 available on PC, anymore?

I never played it but had SH3 for PS2 and read the backstory for SH1 and SH2.

Would love to try 2 on my laptop. Should be able to run it like in those screenies.

Hank Scorpio said:
Is SH2 available on PC, anymore?
You'll have to track down a copy somewhere. It's not available on any service like Steam or D2D yet. I got my copy on half.com for $50 about three years ago, and it still ran like a dream.

Too bad you read up on it already. Games like these are much better going in not knowing.

So why is that Western devs nowadays can't seem to match the character modeling prowess that was on show 8 years ago in Silent Hill 3?

Silent Hill: Homecoming: Looks like ass.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories: Looks like ass

Silent Hill: Downpour: So far, it looks like ass

It's not just Konami, but it seems to me that nearly all American and European devs
totally suck at making appeal 3D models of human characters. The characters are never as visually appealing as they are intended to be, and the lip-syncing of the characters--even of games that were written in English--is usually atrocious.
Meanwhile, Remedy spent years developing Alan Wake, and it's as ugly as sin. What hope does the Silent Hill series have of ever looking as good as it with Silent Hill 3 and 4 if Konami Co. doesn't start developing it in-house again?

Despera

Banned
Anteater said:
2003 game
http://www.abload.de/img/sh32009-09-1121-29-24-8itz.jpg[/IMG

2011 game
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/9OwQm.jpg[/IMG

I feel kind of sad :lol[/QUOTE]
That's the result of having great artists on your team. Sometimes I wonder if some devs can't tell a good looking character model from a bad one.
[QUOTE=RockXLight]So why is that Western devs nowadays can't seem to match the character modeling prowess that was on show 8 years ago in Silent Hill 3?

Silent Hill: Homecoming: [b]Looks like ass.[/b]

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories: [b]Looks like ass[/b]

Silent Hill: Downpour: [b]So far, it looks like [u]ass[/u][/b]

It's not just Konami, but it seems to me that nearly all American and European devs
totally suck at making appeal 3D models of human characters. The characters are never as visually appealing as they are intended to be, and the lip-syncing of the characters--even of games that were written in English--is usually atrocious.
Meanwhile, Remedy spent years developing Alan Wake, and it's as ugly as sin. What hope does the Silent Hill series have of ever looking as good as it with Silent Hill 3 and 4 if Konami Co. doesn't start developing it in-house again?[/QUOTE]
I totally agree. But a few western devs know their shit when it comes to appealing character models and facial designs, like Naughty Dog for example.

I can't seem to pinpoint the reason why Japanese devs seem to know how to design an easier-to-look-at face compared to their western peers, but I think the easiest way to compare the two is looking at franchises that were outsourced recently.

Typographenia said:
Ask and you will receive!

uQDLs.jpg

I love how there's still light seeping through the window. You're in the dark world, yet it feels like everything outside the mall is still normal and untouched.

A bit like Henry's apartment, really.

Durante

RockXLight said:
So why is that Western devs nowadays can't seem to match the character modeling prowess that was on show 8 years ago in Silent Hill 3?
It's not about "Western" vs "Eastern" as much as some devs just being infinitely better at this than others. Just look at Witcher 2 or even the Uncharted series.

Top Bottom