• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 4 scans (might be minor spoilers)

Solid

From Famitsu through Gamefront.

silenthill4-1.jpg

silenthill4-2.jpg

silenthill4-3.jpg

http://www.df0.nl/sh4/titlescreen.mp4

I hope that Title Screen song is in the final game as well. So good. Akira for president!!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, so this has just been released yes (or very soon)?

Any impressions around yet? Aside from some minor gameplay impressions (as I do not wish to spoil it), I'm curious to know whether the PS2 version supports progressive scan and, if not, will the XBOX version (that likely will) be released at the same time in the US?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
For some reason I have an impression this game does not look as good as SH3. They went so damn crazy with colors and effects in SH3, art direction was so hermetic-tight in that game, that I would be very surprised to see that surpassed from the same team in such a short development timefreme.

I'm curious to know whether the PS2 version supports progressive scan
Probably not, but like SH3 I'm pretty sure you can make it progressive using the blaze adapter.

and, if not, will the XBOX version (that likely will) be released at the same time in the US?
I think that is their goal, yes.

Solid

dark10x said:
OK, so this has just been released yes (or very soon)?
On the 17th in Japan this month, so 6 more days.

I don't know if the PS2 and Xbox versions will be launched simultaneously. Konami Europe only have the PS2 version listed, and Konami Japan have no plans to release the Xbox version in Japan. So only time will tell, but I guess the PS2 version will be launched first.

dark10x

Marconelly said:
For some reason I have an impression this game does not look as good as SH3. They went so damn crazy with colors and effects in SH3, art direction was so hermetic-tight in that game, that I would be very surprised to see that surpassed from the same team in such a short development timefreme.

Probably not, but like SH3 I'm pretty sure you can make it progressive using the blaze adapter.

I think that is their goal, yes.

So, what IS the deal with that blaze adaptor anyways? I've heard you mention it several times before, but only now do I actually find myself interested. PS2 games don't really look too bad running in line-doubled mode, but the loss of clarity and color definition from prog-scan mode is quite obvious.

If you don't mind, could you post any details regarding the adaptor?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
If you don't mind, could you post any details regarding the adaptor?
It's a hardware/software combo that forcess full screen buffer games to run in progressive scan, although they have not been made to do so natively. Konami's games generally work with it (MGS2, SH3, ZOE2) and so do many othes. However, it is not flawless. For example, in SH3, whenever there's a FMV cutscene, the game will crash, so you have to have to get through it in interlaced mode, then save your position and switch back. There's actually only one spot in the game where you are forced to do this. Another problem is that you have to re-position/stretch the picture on your TV for some games using the service menu (this is obviously easy to do on the monitor, and the setting gets saved, but not as easy on the TV) If you don't mind those problems, the games that work, reportedly look great with it.

Culex

Banned
The screenshots make the filter being used really ugly. Videos aren't as bad, but I don't like the way it looks with this "dingy" effect.

dark10x

Marconelly said:
It's a hardware/software combo that forcess full screen buffer games to run in progressive scan, although they have not been made to do so natively. Konami's games generally work with it (MGS2, SH3, ZOE2) and so do many othes. However, it is not flawless. For example, in SH3, whenever there's a FMV cutscene, the game will crash, so you have to have to get through it in interlaced mode, then save your position and switch back. There's actually only one spot in the game where you are forced to do this. Another problem is that you have to re-position/stretch the picture on your TV for some games using the service menu (this is obviously easy to do on the monitor, and the setting gets saved, but not as easy on the TV) If you don't mind those problems, the games that work, reportedly look great with it.

Hmm, that's interesting...

It is very easy to adjust those settings in the service mode BUT it resets all of my other normal settings EVERY time you enter service mode.

How well do MGS2 and ZOE2 work? Do they require you to stretch the screen or do they display in full?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
How well do MGS2 and ZOE2 work? Do they require you to stretch the screen or do they display in full?
I don't have the adapter myself, so I'll have to ask that guy on the B3D board. Keep in mind that your TV either has to have a VGA input or you need some kind of VGA/Component transcoder to make it work on a TV. With a monitor that obviously does not apply.

dark10x

Marconelly said:
I don't have the adapter myself, so I'll have to ask that guy on the B3D board. Keep in mind that your TV either has to have a VGA input or you need some kind of VGA/Component transcoder to make it work on a TV. With a monitor that obviously does not apply.

Ah, so it is actually a VGA box then? I assume that I could find some type of VGA/Component transcoder and not only use it in this instance but also with the Dreamcast VGA box?

maskrider

dark10x said:
Ah, so it is actually a VGA box then? I assume that I could find some type of VGA/Component transcoder and not only use it in this instance but also with the Dreamcast VGA box?

Blaze VGA adaptor is just a simple adaptor that get the H and V sync output (from the embedded composite sync on the green signal when in 3 wire RGB output mode) and gives out a RGBHV signal on a VGA D-Sub 15 output.

It comes with a software that can force some games to output in progressive scan mode. You will need to set the output of the PS2 to RGB to use the adaptor and many games don't work correctly with the adaptor. And the green level is a bit higher than normal from the adaptor.

Those with FMV will fail immediately as the MPEG library crash in progressive scan mode (not sure if new games have it fixed).

I have the adaptor but I didn't use it much.

Marconelly said:

It actually does look as good as SH3 (actually better due to the animation). Mask Rider posted this link a few days ago:

http://www.silenthillforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10158

They're direct feed vids from the SH4 demo with the filter turned off. It looks as good if not better than the SH3.

Also SH4 has actually been in development longer than SH3. They both started at the sametime but with different teams, the SH2 team went to work with SH4 while a new team took over with SH3. That's why when SH4 was unveiled so close to SH3's release it already looked far along in development.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yeah, I saw those videos. I don't know. This just looks washed out compared to SH3, which just bursted with that vibrancy and weirdness. That game just had some completely crazy good use of color.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I assume this game will have a full 100% English option like SH2 and SH3 did?

maskrider said:
I think the movement of the character is a problem, you can see Henry is sliding than walking at the battles, he is Moon Walking. I hope it is only a problem with the E3 demo

Yeah the animation does look pretty bad I have to agree . Also as I stated on SHF, the enviroments just look dull . Not the color pallete, not the art, but they just look boring to explore from what I've seen . Too much industrial type for my liking .

Are they out of enviromental ideas ? There is once again
a prison, and a hospital
. How many times are we going to have to visit these ? Sure they don't look the same but, its a been there done that kind of vibe, at least for me at this point .

Still looking forward to it :D .. As you said before we must have faith ..... but damn is it hard sometimes .

Take Care

Yusaku

I regret viewing this thread. That huge head would've been cooler if I hadn't seen it first.

Anyone know if the PC version will come out the same time as the PS2 one?

MentalNoiz said:
Yeah the animation does look pretty bad I have to agree . Also as I stated on SHF, the enviroments just look dull . Not the color pallete, not the art, but they just look boring to explore from what I've seen . Too much industrial type for my liking .
e

The color scheme seems very similar to SH1 and SH2 which used alot of dulled colors (especially SH2 which had a very "dull" color scheme overall). SH3 is the real exception to the series since it's very bright in comparison to everything else. It has the most unique visual style of the series but also seemed to be the one that scared people the least. It just seems like they're going back to what most people seem to like.

SolidSnakex said:
The color scheme seems very similar to SH1 and SH2 which used alot of dulled colors (especially SH2 which had a very "dull" color scheme overall). SH3 is the real exception to the series since it's very bright in comparison to everything else. It has the most unique visual style of the series but also seemed to be the one that scared people the least. It just seems like they're going back to what most people seem to like.

I guess I wasn't very clear in what I was saying. What I should have said was that I don't have a problem with the dull color pallete, nor the art style . Everthing looks dirty and I love that aspect . Heck, I LOVED the dull color pallete in SH2, it helped sell the depressed atmosphere wonderfully .

The rest of it is as I meant to say .. or so I hope .. its so late :D .

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
ZombieSupaStar said:
I might import this can u switch the menus to enlish lyte? Elaborate

If the game has the same options as Silent Hill 2 and 3, then there will be an option to switch all the text to English...and the voices are already in English, so it's fully playable to non-Japanese speakers. Here's hoping. :)

Top Bottom