• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Downpour information from Game Informer

Combichristoffersen said:
I've seen the demo.
It was called Silent Hill: Homecoming

Anyway, personally I wouldn't mind seeing more of the Order and the religious stuff in future SH games, as I've always found the cult stuff to be quite fascinating. And tbh I wouldn't mind getting to know exactly what it is with Silent Hill that causes everything to go to shit. It would admittedly be a terrible idea to lay it all bare about the powers of the town, as that would take away all the mystery surrounding the town, but still.. :p

Don't we already know why? Silent Hill was once a sacred and holy land. Over time, the many evils of man corrupted it and thus distorted its power to become one consisting of evil and darkness. Plus all the occult practices (such as those featured in SH1 and 3) certainly played a part in that as well.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
RadioHeadAche said:
Don't we already know why? Silent Hill was once a sacred and holy land. Over time, the many evils of man corrupted it and thus distorted its power to become one consisting of evil and darkness. Plus all the occult practices (such as those featured in SH1 and 3) certainly played a part in that as well.

We know that, but I was thinking of more detailed info on what the power of Silent Hill originally was, how it came to be, what it currently is, more info on Valtiel etc.

I'll have to disagree with you there. Part of what made Silent Hill so enjoyable for me was the mystery and never fully knowing why some things happened to be the way they are. Sometimes, filling in the blanks yourself makes it even scarier (especially when it comes to the disturbing environments and scenery). I just love that sense of mystery when it comes to these games.

We know that, but I was thinking of more detailed info on what the power of Silent Hill originally was, how it came to be, what it currently is, more info on Valtiel etc.

It's a combination of things (Indian burial grounds, wars like the Civil War, plagues, other horrible things that have happened) but there will never be some almighty explanation of what it is, exactly. It's probably something that can't even be put into words, and I'd be hard pressed to believe that Team Silent could even explain it if they wanted to.

Basically when writers use a place like Silent Hill or the island in Lost as a main point of power, they never fully explain what it is but they give us snippets of information and showing us what it can do through a character(s) story.

I mean after Silent Hill 2 you can deduct that in addition to other things, the town can be a place that can make you pay for your sins but that's just part of it.

I liken it to some completely alternate dimension separate from reality that just bends itself to a user's will. But also, I like that there really is no explanation.

fart town usa

Gold Member
ZephyrFate said:
I liken it to some completely alternate dimension separate from reality that just bends itself to a user's will. But also, I like that there really is no explanation.

Me too, it's like something out of a lovecraft story.

A full fledged explanation wouldn't do anything good for the series. Besides, if the games have shown us anything it's that the town itself isn't necessarily twisted, it's the people who reside in it that cause the horrors.

spooooooooooooooooooky

G-Fex

brandonh83 said:
It's a combination of things (Indian burial grounds, wars like the Civil War, plagues, other horrible things that have happened) but there will never be some almighty explanation of what it is, exactly. It's probably something that can't even be put into words, and I'd be hard pressed to believe that Team Silent could even explain it if they wanted to.

Basically when writers use a place like Silent Hill or the island in Lost as a main point of power, they never fully explain what it is but they give us snippets of information and showing us what it can do through a character(s) story.

I mean after Silent Hill 2 you can deduct that in addition to other things, the town can be a place that can make you pay for your sins but that's just part of it.

Maybe it's a really good thing going when you have a character and meaningful reason for going to silent hill like part 1 and 2. Then again I remember Phelous's explanation of Homecoming's story and well..

Well at least they won't be as bad as the comic adaptations!

Dascu

After we're done explaining everything about Silent Hill's mysterious powers, let's move on to constructing a comprehensive Zelda timeline.

brandonh83 said:

The happy feelings I have whenever I see "Silent Hill 2" written anywhere.

Let's hope this Sh points more towards Sh2 than any other. I loved the cult parts, and the games that explored it, but I want more of inner demons and stuff. Sh2 and Shattered Memories are unique in that aspect, there's little cult in both.

Edit: Anyway, it was explained lot's of times (iirc) that the town itself is evil and has some kind of conscience, this being a result of executions, indian burial grounds, the cult shenanigans, etc.

If it's an evil demon possessing it or it's just alive, we will never know. I hope.

Combichristoffersen

RadioHeadAche said:
I'll have to disagree with you there. Part of what made Silent Hill so enjoyable for me was the mystery and never fully knowing why some things happened to be the way they are. Sometimes, filling in the blanks yourself makes it even scarier (especially when it comes to the disturbing environments and scenery). I just love that sense of mystery when it comes to these games.

Yeah, that's why I mentioned that even if I would've liked it, it would ultimately be a terrible idea to give a full explanation of the powers that be in Silent Hill :lol

ArjanN

brandonh83 said:

As I understood it, Silent Hill is like 'holy' ground connected to some ancient pagan/Lovecraft-esque gods, and all the other horrible things that happened there were caused by that influence.

That explanation can cover almost anything you can imagine without being too specific.

MYE

Jocchan said:
And yet you keep thrashing it in every game even remotely related to Silent Hill, nearly as often as I thrash Homecoming (and I try not to, I really do) :p

Reminds me how amazing the original SM thread was :lol

ChackanKun said:
The happy feelings I have whenever I see "Silent Hill 2" written anywhere.

Let's hope this Sh points more towards Sh2 than any other. I loved the cult parts, and the games that explored it, but I want more of inner demons and stuff. Sh2 and Shattered Memories are unique in that aspect, there's little cult in both.

Edit: Anyway, it was explained lot's of times (iirc) that the town itself is evil and has some kind of conscience, this being a result of executions, indian burial grounds, the cult shenanigans, etc.

If it's an evil demon possessing it or it's just alive, we will never know. I hope.
Most of the newer SH games start off with the developers claiming it's a lot like Silent Hill 2; later on, we discover that this means "Pyramid Head is in it, except using his design from the movie."

Truant

If they don't include inverted aim, like Homecoming, I will rape someone and every jury will sympathize my case.

randomwab

brandonh83 said:

The fact that this was never explored really disappoints me. To me, Silent Hill 1 and 3 were about the influence that religious cultists had on the town, and how the town manifested their beliefs. Silent Hill 4 took this concept, and built on it further with the town manifesting the influence of what was essentially a psychopath. Silent Hill 2 was about the internal suffering and, depending on the ending, redemption or destruction of a deeply guilt-ridden man.

But the games always left me with the feeling that we were only seeing a single aspect of the town’s power. We always see the town as a dark and oppressive place, but that’s because we only see dark and oppressive people influencing the town, mainly because these are supposed to be horror games.

I would love to see an episodic Silent Hill, with several different characters who all end up in the town and who each see the town in a completely different way. Something like how James, Eddie, Angela and Laura all see different versions of the town in Silent Hill 2….except I wouldn’t want every character to be emotionally damaged. It has become to cliché for this series now, something the external devs never seem to realise.

If someone who was fighting a serious illness came to Silent Hill, how would their psyche be reflected in the world? A stressed business woman with family issues? An old, retired man? Maybe I am alone in this, but the idea of normal people in Silent Hill fascinates me so much more than Prisoner A2431 with fresh Daddy issues or guilt for killing someone.

randomwab said:
I would love to see an episodic Silent Hill, with several different characters who all end up in the town and who each see the town in a completely different way. Something like how James, Eddie, Angela and Laura all see different versions of the town in Silent Hill 2….except I wouldn’t want every character to be emotionally damaged. It has become to cliché for this series now, something the external devs never seem to realise.

If someone who was fighting a serious illness came to Silent Hill, how would their psyche be reflected in the world? A stressed business woman with family issues? An old, retired man? Maybe I am alone in this, but the idea of normal people in Silent Hill fascinates me so much more than Prisoner A2431 with fresh Daddy issues or guilt for killing someone.

I like the way you think. That's a really interesting take and now I wish it were really happening! :-(

KAOz

Short bus special
G-Fex said:
Well at least they won't be as bad as the comic adaptations!

Except Sinners Reward and Past Life, which are both really awesome and gazillijon times better than Paint It Black, Grinning Man and all those other extremely shitty Silent Hill comics.

randomwab said:

As much as I like your idea, having several characters with different views on the town, I don't know if that would let us connect with each one. But yes, the emotionally damaged character is getting a bit worn out.

I would also like to see some kind of different main character. The multiple characters did work with Siren, in my opinion, so it could be something to explore.

Expanding the cult plot was the worse idea ever, it was better when it was there as another esoteric element, like in SH1, not as an actual thing.

Alllll over my face. Haven't played Origins or Shattered Memories, but I did enjoy Homecoming a lot more than most people. Especially with Brandon's plot analysis posts and his reading into certain elements - mainly the presence of Pyramid Head.

I'm a heathen, I know. But SH1-3 are perfection in mah eyes, with 2 taking the cake as best video game ever made.

So I'm excited. :D

randomwab said:
If someone who was fighting a serious illness came to Silent Hill, how would their psyche be reflected in the world?

Silent Hill would cure their illness and then trick he or she into thinking that in order for the effect to remain permanent, child sacrifices must be made.

venom2124

KAOz said:
Except Sinners Reward and Past Life, which are both really awesome and gazillijon times better than Paint It Black, Grinning Man and all those other extremely shitty Silent Hill comics.
Are those two actually decent stories? Does the writer have any grasp on the actual town and what it does to people? I'm about to order sinners reward just to see if waltz is a decent storyteller. The first few Silent Hill comics were miserable, poor art and terrible plots. I'm really hoping waltz is true to the spirit of the first few games and doesn't add in a shit talking teen girl demon or some other nonsense.

I'm definitely getting those comics. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, there's actually a character in Downpour that's from Past Life.

KAOz

Short bus special
venom2124 said:
Are those two actually decent stories? Does the writer have any grasp on the actual town and what it does to people? I'm about to order sinners reward just to see if waltz is a decent storyteller. The first few Silent Hill comics were miserable, poor art and terrible plots. I'm really hoping waltz is true to the spirit of the first few games and doesn't add in a shit talking teen girl demon or some other nonsense.

Waltz is quite amazing. He made some tiny errors in Sinners Reward, but that was way before he got ahold of the "rules of Silent Hill" by Konami, and he did acknowledge those little faults and regrets them. But, his way of Silent Hill is the stuff we see from the games. Very influenced by Silent Hill 2, and how everyone sees things differently.

The old comics, are guttertrash in comparison (and in general). Waltz understands how Silent Hill works, and now he knows it even better. I strongly recommend them.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Allow me to say this... if Downpour doesn't have Inverted controls, Silent Hill and I are going to have serious issues.

As one of the few people who enjoyed Homecoming, damn them for not allowing an inverted option. With Downpour using a similar camera, if they don't include Inverted option... I'm sticking to Wii versions.

venom2124

KAOz said:
Waltz is quite amazing. He made some tiny errors in Sinners Reward, but that was way before he got ahold of the "rules of Silent Hill" by Konami, and he did acknowledge those little faults and regrets them. But, his way of Silent Hill is the stuff we see from the games. Very influenced by Silent Hill 2, and how everyone sees things differently.

The old comics, are guttertrash in comparison (and in general). Waltz understands how Silent Hill works, and now he knows it even better. I strongly recommend them.
Thank you, all I needed to hear. Ordering them now.

RadioHeadAche said:

You just made me realize that Ganon's been sealed in the town and has been causing all this shit.

Corrupted parallel world? Triangular/Pyramidal artifact?

anaron

Prime crotch said:
Expanding the cult plot was the worse idea ever, it was better when it was there as another esoteric element, like in SH1, not as an actual thing.
Agreed.

Not to mention taking it outside the town itself.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
How About No said:
You just made me realize that Ganon's been sealed in the town and has been causing all this shit.

Corrupted parallel world? Triangular/Pyramidal artifact?
The Flauros is basically a 3D Triforce.

EDIT:
brandonh83 said:
Silent Hill would cure their illness and then trick he or she into thinking that in order for the effect to remain permanent, child sacrifices must be made.
You're giving way too much importance to the terrible plot of Homecoming.

Lime

Now that we're talking randomly about Silent Hill, the last thing I need before I die is a hardcover edition of a collection of all concept art from SH1-4, including stills, storyboards, Lost Memories, artwork from the Japanese novels, etc. Too bad Konami is run by monkeys and no one would ever make the effort of collecting all of those things. :'(

But an 'Art of Silent Hill' book would be so good (the outdated DVD is far from sufficient). And a GoG/Steam release of SH1-4 :D.

Lime said:
Now that we're talking randomly about Silent Hill, the last thing I need before I die is a hardcover edition of a collection of all concept art from SH1-4, including stills, storyboards, Lost Memories, artwork from the Japanese novels, etc. Too bad Konami is run by monkeys and no one would ever make the effort of collecting all of those things. :'(

But an 'Art of Silent Hill' book would be so good (the outdated DVD is far from sufficient). And a GoG/Steam release of SH1-4 :D.

Yes, I would adore that. Except, I would also want an HD collection for the PS3.

Combichristoffersen

RadioHeadAche said:
Yes, I would adore that. Except, I would also want an HD collection for the PS3.

I'd like a HD collection too. In fact, I think I'd rather just have a HD collection than a new Silent Hill game :|

MiniDitka

John Harker said:
As one of the few people who enjoyed Homecoming, damn them for not allowing an inverted option. With Downpour using a similar camera, if they don't include Inverted option... I'm sticking to Wii versions.

Are you talking about a Wii version of Downpour or Shattered Memories? Just curious because I don't recall a Wii version of Downpour being mentioned.

I'd like a HD collection too. In fact, I think I'd rather just have a HD collection than a new Silent Hill game :|

Me too, honestly. It probably would be the best current-generation Silent Hill game.

MiniDitka said:
Are you talking about a Wii version of Downpour or Shattered Memories? Just curious because I don't recall a Wii version of Downpour being mentioned.

I think they were referencing Shattered Memories and how they wouldn't want to bother with other console Silent Hill games if there's no inverted control option, and instead would rather play those with similar control schemes to the Wii version of SM.

Combichristoffersen

RadioHeadAche said:
Me too, honestly. It probably would be the best current-generation Silent Hill game.

SH3 is still eyecandy. Imagine that game in glorious HD (technically it's already in HD on PC, but still...)

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
New Downpour Details in EGM

• Multiple endings return.

• Don’t expect to be able to access all sidequests in one playthrough.

• Infinite hallways, and “disintegrating” rooms will throw players off guard.

• Murphy’s walking style differs on fear level, or damage.

• Some in-game locations are based on the the town in which the game is developed.

• Murphy Pendleton’s name comes from One Flew Over The Cuckcoo’s Nest.

• Devin Shatsky prefers to call Downpour a Psychological Thriller rather than a Survival Horror game.

Dascu

Which SH didn't feature multiple endings? Homecoming?

Could be fun.

Okay. But this was in some of the previous SH games too, no? I distinctly recall Heather walking differently if she was low on health.
  • Some in-game locations are based on the the town in which the game is developed.
All to Brno then!

Will the nurses be called "Ratched"?

• Devin Shatsky prefers to call Downpour a Psychological Thriller rather than a Survival Horror game.
Does this mean they're not going for the scary horror-imagery?

Dascu said:
Does this mean they're not going for the scary horror-imagery?

Devin said that he considers the entire SH series to be more psychological horror than survival horror. That really is a more appropriate description of it. It's really not that difficult to "survive" in SH. The enemies really aren't much of a threat to you. Horror games in general are lumped into the "survival horror" tag because of Resident Evil. The only thing that SH ever really had in common with RE is that they were both horror games. But the approach that they had was completely different.

Just give me, give me, give me. :lol

Infinite hallways, and “disintegrating” rooms will throw players off guard.
Can't wait to see.

It's hard for me to go media blackout on Silent Hill games. I love and enjoy and buy them, but hearing about the mechanics balance is a must before going in. Example: I happened to love Homecoming's combat, but knew about it way beforehand.

Dascu said:
Which SH didn't feature multiple endings? Homecoming?
It did.
Dascu said:
Okay. But this was in some of the previous SH games too, no? I distinctly recall Heather walking differently if she was low on health.
They all do, as far as I recall. Unless SM doesn't (which I've yet to play).

UrbanRats

Good.
  • Don’t expect to be able to access all sidequests in one playthrough.
Good, kinda remind me of the random events in SH4 (floating head and so on)
Uhm... if treated right, we're on to something.. though it could also be handled poorly, so i'm a bit on the edge here.
Ok, nice touch.
? Where's it developed, again?
Oh, i hope this is not a lame hint at the "he's crazy, he's the killer" plot twist, cause i'm full of it.
Sorry, but everybody has said this, after Team Silent took off.

FunkyPajamas said:
They all do, as far as I recall. Unless SM doesn't (which I've yet to play).

They're saying that his walk animation will change depending on the situation he's in, so it'll be sort of like Uncharted. He'll have different walk animations depending on if it's dark, after he's been scared or if he sees some thing off in the distance.

It's being developed in Brno, Czech Republic. Apparently that town has a lot of creepy places and history and stuff. The dev team went around doing research and shit.

SolidSnakex said:
They're saying that his walk animation will change depending on the situation he's in, so it'll be sort of like Uncharted. He'll have different walk animations depending on if it's dark, after he's been scared or if he sees some thing off in the distance.
Oh, sorry. The quote is "Murphy’s walking style differs on fear level, or damage.", so I figured they'd just implement some type of behind-the-courtain sanity effect of sorts. The damage-specific walk animation has always been a part of the silent hill series though.

Anyway, it's nice to get new info. Hopefully this game will get a demo.

Top Bottom