• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection |OT| Programmed in Smoke Signals

Levito

Banned
This makes me sad:

MQZFa.png

:(

In my restless dreams, I see that game...
Silent Hill HD Collection.

You promised I'd get two awesome games
in HD.
But it never came.

Well, I'm stuck here now...

With this shitty "collection"
Waiting for a fix...

Waiting for a fix
to make this game acceptable.

But it never came.

And so I wait, staring at this shallow product
of shame and poop.

...yeah, I don't feel like doing the rest. Depressing. :D

Slappers Only

Why has the music been remixed for 'new voices' mode? Did they make a point of that as well? I never heard anything about it. At any rate, it doesn't add anything.

Levito

Banned
EGM. Been here for just over a year now.

Levito - Mind if I do a story about your Twitter exchange with Ito?

No I don't mind at all, in fact I would really appreciate it if you would do that because not enough mainstream gaming press are. Thank you!!

Konami shouldn't be allowed to knowingly release a broken game to people and charge $40 for it.

Audioboxer

The only question now that all the shit has hit the fan is did Konami expect a backlash like this, or did they think the titles "Silent Hill 2/3" on a fans 360/PS3 would do enough to simply please everyone?

Or, more truthfully, do they even care?
of course not, it's Konami

Ostinatto

Why has the music been remixed for 'new voices' mode? Did they make a point of that as well? I never heard anything about it. At any rate, it doesn't add anything.

the only reason for that i think is, they doesn't have the audio tracks for the voices, they only have the voices tracks mixes with the background music, so if they replace the voices, they replace the music too.

:(

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I thought it was just various sound cues and effects that were affected by the 5.1 sound. Is it confirmed that you can get the old music with the new voices and are the missing pieces of music put back in?

I haven't tried the HD collection myself (as it won't be out in Europe until next Friday), but some GAFfer mentioned earlier in this thread that you could use new voices + old music.

Oh, and I just bought a copy of SH3 PC (with the OST CD) off eBay, so I'll be able to run it in glorious HD on PC, yay :D

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
For Silent Hill 2, I've resorted to the following to try to restore some of the PS2 original's lustre:

• jacking up the in-game brightness to 7
• cranking my LED TV's contrast to 100
• turbo-maxing the TV's colour as well
• fiddling with the TV's brightness to reduce the grey wash

It helps to artificially pump up the colour saturation a bit and crush those blacks more in line with how the game used to look.

Funny, I have to do the opposite to make Star Wars watchable in HD!

skads_187

well i took the plunge and got the xbox version. i had a 15$ rebate from the last garbage game i bought (re operation raccoon...) , so i guess i like buying garbage

Got the game in earlier from Gamefly. Started up SH2 and for the first 5 minutes I thought "The fog is clearly downgraded and I can see much further and clearer than I'm supposed to, but the new texture work and framerate isn't too bad."
But then, I noticed some choppiness during the cutscenes.. which led to the audio going out of sync a bit. Once I got into town, however.. all hell broke loose. The frameskipping is horrendous. Absolutely impossible to fight in those situations, and better to just keep running until it passes.

Damn shame. I'm sure it's something that can be patched but I don't see it happening for at least a few weeks, if ever.

That said, I find it interesting how much I can remember for a game I haven't played in what... 10 years? I think I played this game much more than I remember.

I still prefer SH3, though.

Barakov

well i took the plunge and got the xbox version. i had a 15$ rebate from the last garbage game i bought (re operation raccoon...) , so i guess i like buying garbage

To be fair, both Silent Hill 2 and 3 at their core are both great horror games. It's just the technical problems in the HD collection that are bumming people out.

Operation Raccoon City was an ill convinced notion from the very beginning along with sloppy execution that led it to being what it is.

skads_187

To be fair, both Silent Hill 2 and 3 at their core are both great horror games. It's just the technical problems in the HD collection that are bumming people out.

Operation Raccoon City was an ill convinced notion from the very beginning along with sloppy execution that led it to being what it is.

yeah thats what i meant, I bought this collection cause of the games of course, plus I dont have any of the old ones anymore. gave those games away with my ps2 when I sold it.

I think the gentlemen thing to do would be for konami to refund everyone, recall this collection, and release a proper collection in a few weeks/a month as an apology

Persona7

Banned
This is horrible. I was about to buy this a few days ago, but I changed my mind the last minute. It's very sad to see it like this.

I'm assuming that all the issues with this game can't be fixed with a large patch?

They already released a large patch, it did nothing that I could discern. The game is still a technical mess.

Teknoman

I think the gentlemen thing to do would be for konami to refund everyone, recall this collection, and release a proper collection in a few weeks/a month as an apology

I'd be extremely surprised if they pulled an FFXIV.

I made a Youtube video going over the bigger issues with the collection, hopefully it's worth a watch, if not I apologize if it's boring. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcPzeICO1ag

Yes you added SH music to the background :D

EDIT: Wow...I knew the opening streets looked new due to retextures...but man, those look like something you'd see on Gran Turismo/Forza.

Skullkid

At the very minimum they need to fix the slowdown and framerate stuttering on the PS3 version. I doubt that fan reaction would have been nearly as intense if at least the game ran smoothly. Even good HD ports like SotC have some flaws like texture pop-in that I can forgive.

Persona7

Banned
The worst thing about the streets in Silent Hill 2 is that they only changed some of them. Some of them are the new texture while others are the old PS2 texture.

At this point I take it as a personal offense whenever someone admits to buying this.

The day after the game came out I was looking at twitter and I saw tons of people who said they were excited to play these games for the first time, on the HD collection.

At the very minimum they need to fix the slowdown and framerate stuttering on the PS3 version. I doubt that fan reaction would have been nearly as intense if at least the game ran smoothly. Even good HD ports like SotC have some flaws like texture pop-in that most of us can forgive.

This.

If the game ran properly, there'd be a lot less complaints. My game still hasn't arrived and is actually on the way but this is the only real way for me able to play the game and enjoy it. While I can complain about the lack of effects, what is the most annoying is the lack of proper performance on games that came out last decade.

Teknoman

You know...with all this Silent Hill talk going on, for better or worse, think it would be a good idea for there to be a catch all Silent Hill (community) thread?

Clott

Wow, what a disappointment. I was really looking forward to reliving these games, I guess I am happy I never sold my PS2 copies.

But really? what kind of people gave the ok to release this? the first thing they should have done is found some hardcore SH fans to come over to the studio and give their thought's on all these blunders.

How can you drop the ball when they are basically leaving millions on the table, or what do I know, maybe this is selling well.

Cudder

Alright, I'm about to fire this up (PS3). Just got platinum trophy in Downpour so now I'm free to play this. God help me, I feel like I'm about to enter the Otherworld..

Top Bottom