• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection |OT| Programmed in Smoke Signals

man/man

Banned
Sales must be pretty dismal. I don't see a huge outcry over this collection other than on GAF. Pretty confident that we'll never see a patch.

Ridley327

Sales must be pretty dismal. I don't see a huge outcry over this collection other than on GAF. Pretty confident that we'll never see a patch.

I don't know what their expectations have been, but it does seem like that they did not have a big first printing. I've yet to see it in stock at any of the local retailers.

Audioboxer

They've got themselves stuck in that if this were a really solid HD remake, like MGS or GoW, word of mouth would do them a favour - Could lead to a digital release on PSN as well. In a day and age where survival horror is non-existent, there is a little window of opportunity to make decent sales off the back of two of the most acclaimed games in survival horror history.

However they've served a steaming pile of cheaply made shit in the hope that the most hardcore silent hill fans will buy it anyway, to get "HD" and trophies/achievements on their consoles. This is backfiring though, as the most hardcore silent hill fans would return this crap and are.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Another weird change; the music in one of the endings for Silent Hill 2. Spoilers ahead, obviously.

HD Collection In Water

Original In Water

I know it doesn't sound like much, but small stuff like this is annoying me way more than half of the graphic glitches.
I actually agree with this. The original music used there was specific to that scene and made an impact.

I thought the changes made to ICO were also disappointing. I didn't realize that the European version of ICO had timing changes made to the music during the ending that kind of killed the atmosphere they built.

I still can't believe ICO and SH2 were released on the same day. What an amazing release day that was!

wUoQS.jpg

Anyone been to this part on the 360 version yet? Seems some of the glaring graphical issues are PS3 exclusive as well, and I'm interested to know if that's the case here.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Wow I just poked my head in here to see what is going on, holy hell =/

I still haven't played any of the Silent Hills... to fucking scary

I remember I bought Silent Hill 2, played 15 minutes, the fog + creatures scurrying around, and those ambient noises, yeah, I returned that shit ASAP, lost $15 LOL, it was worth it, for my sanity reasons

I was intrigued by the HD collection (hey trophies to boot), but wow the after/before pics... no wonder PS2 Downports

Please at least tell me SH3 CG cutscenes that most regarded as amazing didn't get butchered in this process, that could've been awesome, to see the real good enhanced, but just the way SH2 looks, looks like 3 went the same way

Persona7

Banned
Wow I just poked my head in here to see what is going on, holy hell =/

I still haven't played any of the Silent Hills... to fucking scary

I remember I bought Silent Hill 2, played 15 minutes, the fog + creatures scurrying around, and those ambient noises, yeah, I returned that shit ASAP, lost $15 LOL, it was worth it, for my sanity reasons

I was intrigued by the HD collection (hey trophies to boot), but wow the after/before pics... no wonder PS2 Downports

Please at least tell me SH3 CG cutscenes that most regarded as amazing didn't get butchered in this process, that could've been awesome, to see the real good enhanced, but just the way SH2 looks, looks like 3 went the same way

SH3 cutscenes are rendered in real time but in HD version a lot of voices in the scenes are out of sync and there is no self shadowing.

In some endings, such as "Leave," the music doesn't play at all.

now that really pisses me off.

Honestly, what physical address can I send my copy to with a really mean (albeit professional) note attached? I already opened the son of a bitch, so I can't return it. I already 'did my part' by paying full price for this disgraceful piece of shit... there you go Konami.
I'll wait to see if they continue patching this mess, but I'm not holding my breath.

Why didn't, like, GameInformer mention this in their little blip of a review?

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
Was chatting with Ito on Twitter as well; he doesn't seem super-confident that this mess could be patched over.

Half-tempted to wander over to my local game store and see if my old PS2 is still in the display case...

I've moved from being apathetic toward the port overall to desperate to finding a way to play it again on PC. I bought SH2 years ago for $20 (what a bargain), quit 3/4 of the way because of a puzzle, and now half of the discs are missing. Since I legally own a copy, I have two options to look into:

1. Use a PS2 emulator on my gaming desktop (most convenient), or
2. Find a way to connect a CRT in the basement to my laptop (powerful enough to play the PC version) with a composite-to-VGA/HDMI gizmo converter and enjoy the way it was meant to be played.

So, what do you think? IS it ethical to find some ROM or torrent on the web if I have proof of purchase? Do laptop to CRT converters exist?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I've moved from being apathetic toward the port overall to desperate to finding a way to play it again on PC. I bought SH2 years ago for $20 (what a bargain), quit 3/4 of the way because of a puzzle, and now half of the discs are missing. Since I legally own a copy, I have two options to look into:

1. Use a PS2 emulator on my gaming desktop (most convenient), or
2. Find a way to connect a CRT in the basement to my laptop (powerful enough to play the PC version) with a composite-to-VGA/HDMI gizmo converter and enjoy the way it was meant to be played.

So, what do you think? IS it ethical to find some ROM or torrent on the web if I have proof of purchase? Do laptop to CRT converters exist?

The easiest way, which would still be somewhat legal, would be to buy a copy of the Greatest Hits re-release of SH2 for PS2, and play it via an emulator on your desktop PC.

Persona7

Banned
Damn, the shirt codes don't work. I tried the Game Informer and EGM code.

HappyBirthDay did work though. I guess they just removed the company shirts.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Man. I paid full price for Resident Evil: Occupy Raccoon City or whatever this week too. And Downpour last week was alright in some ways but kind of a letdown overall. Full price there, too. I feel like I have to get some revenge and buy used games for a while.

Man. I paid full price for Resident Evil: Occupy Raccoon City or whatever this week too. And Downpour last week was alright in some ways but kind of a letdown overall. Full price there, too. I feel like I have to get some revenge and buy used games for a while.

Is Operation Raccoon City a piece of shit too? I haven't wandered into the OT yet...

Teknoman

Is Operation Raccoon City a piece of shit too? I haven't wandered into the OT yet...

It's ok online/in co-op (but what isnt). As far as a good Resident Evil game? Not really.

Seems like the only real pleasers this month were Armored Core V, Kid Icarus Uprising, Ys: Oath in Felghana PC version, and Silent Hill Downpour (to a certain extent).

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Someone should give a shout to Yahtzee. The man has vocalized many times how SH2 is one of his favorite games. People should be aware of this.

Also thanks GAF for the big warning. Imma pick the PC version soon once I finish classes (and SotN, and ME3 on PS3).

JKRMA

Banned
I opened it, saw a 4 gig install followed by a 200mb patch. This got me curious while I was waiting for the patch to finish downloading to check out the GAF OT for this. Man what a fucken disappointment. Technically ewwww, Silent Hill was not suppose to look so clean as well. Saw the water video, convinced me to return it. I doubt the fog effects, the grimey dirty look, water effects, and other effects can be fixed via patch. I also noticed people stating there is not music playing for key scenes. Wow. Really wanted to experience this game with gf as I was hyping it up to her a lot these past couple of weeks as we are really into horror. Oh well....

I will give Downpour a try though if they patch the technical issues soon or when it hits $30.

Ridley327

I opened it, saw a 4 gig install followed by a 200mb patch. This got me curious while I was waiting for the patch to finish downloading to check out the GAF OT for this. Man what a fucken disappointment. Technically ewwww, Silent Hill was not suppose to look so clean as well. Saw the water video, convinced me to return it. I doubt the fog effects, the grimey dirty look, water effects, and other effects can be fixed via patch. I also noticed people stating there is not music playing for key scenes. Wow. Really wanted to experience this game with gf as I was hyping it up to her a lot these past couple of weeks as we are really into horror. Oh well....

I will give Downpour a try though if they patch the technical issues soon or when it hits $30.

Well, one of those is bound to happen sooner rather than later, given how quickly Homecoming hit the bargain bins.

Teknoman

Buy the PC version or buy a PS2 and the PS2 games.

Teknoman

The easiest way, which would still be somewhat legal, would be to buy a copy of the Greatest Hits re-release of SH2 for PS2, and play it via an emulator on your desktop PC.

Is there a fix to get SH2's FMVs to play correctly on the emulator? What about some of SH3's shadows?

Yeah that is what I plan to do. My PS3 is backwards compatible so no need to buy a PS2. Just gotta dig out my old CRT or would it look suffice on a LCD?

It think it would look just fine, but it probably does look better on a CRT since it was designed with those in mind.

Combichristoffersen

Is there a fix to get SH2's FMVs to play correctly on the emulator? What about some of SH3's shadows?

It think it would look just fine, but it probably does look better on a CRT since it was designed with those in mind.

Didn't know there were problems with emulating SH and 3. Ouch. Yeah, that makes it a bit harder.

And the general consensus seems to be that CRTs are best for SH2 and 3., yeah.

Wait..

He later added that Konami should "release a patch for HD collection, I think," before speculating that the problem might be caused by PlayStation 3 tech.

"I guess that it was a problem of PS3. PS3 has a weak point for using 'translucent texture'," he wrote.

"But PS2 has no such a weak point, and original SH2/SH3 use so many 'translucent texture'. Example, for fog/mist."

The PS2 could do things the PS3 is incapable of? How is that even possible? And it doesn't explain the fog looking like shit in the 360 version.

Teknoman

Yeah the FMVs in the game seem to have dots/have lines through them, so I guess it has something to do with interlacing settings? They also seem to appear slightly lower in position on the screen than normal gameplay...for me anyway. SH3 has some problems with the shadows (for instance Heather's face when she wakes up from the intro nightmare in the burger place) and makes certain objects seem transparent.

Ito also posted this:

I think, it's so difficult but there is the way to solve that problem.

Solve the problem Konami.

Levito

Banned
Yeah the FMVs in the game seem to have dots/have lines through them, so I guess it has something to do with interlacing settings? They also seem to appear slightly lower in position on the screen than normal gameplay...for me anyway. SH3 has some problems with the shadows (for instance Heather's face when she wakes up from the intro nightmare in the burger place) and makes certain objects seem transparent.

Ito also posted this:

I think, it's so difficult but there is the way to solve that problem.

Solve the problem Konami.

Hopefully the pressure is mounting, and they'll do something soon.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Did Konami send these ports to be made without any kind of interest? It sounds like these people are completely oblivious to the problems until just now.

Ridley327

Did Konami send these ports to be made without any kind of interest? It sounds like these people are completely oblivious to the problems until just now.

The collection has been delayed numerous times now, so it's not like they couldn't have been aware of any issues that cropped up.

Combichristoffersen

They hired a studio without any prior porting jobs, and with a PSN/XBL Vandal Hearts game as their biggest release to date. Yeah.

mollipen

I'm quite baffled at how no site, except for Destructoid, mentioned this abomination.

I'm also speechless how Konami can just sit there, pretend like nothing's wrong and just wait until this whole thing blows over. Pathetic.

Unfortunately, due to getting behind on other things, I'm just now getting the chance to get to Silent Hill HD Collection. I just finished Downpour and am putting together my review, something I really wanted to take time with because my experience with that game was far beyond by expectation.

In the 10 minutes I spent with SH3 on the Collection, however, I already noticed a number of issues. No fries in the basket (something I specifically asked Tomm Hulett about), Heather's jacket seems nowhere near as detailed, the lack of fog in SH in the beginning, and the problems with the noise effect not being there.

I'm not sure exactly when my review will be up, but all of that was just in 10 minutes of playing. I have no clue how this got scores like 9/10 from IGN.

Desiato

Was looking forward to this, I never got the chance to play these games as I got a PS2 pretty late. Then I got rid of my PS2 and was interested in this. Not anymore... I hope I get to play these games as they were intended some time.

Top Bottom