• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection |OT| Programmed in Smoke Signals

Wow, what a disappointment. I was really looking forward to reliving these games, I guess I am happy I never sold my PS2 copies.

But really? what kind of people gave the ok to release this? the first thing they should have done is found some hardcore SH fans to come over to the studio and give their thought's on all these blunders.

How can you drop the ball when they are basically leaving millions on the table, or what do I know, maybe this is selling well.

We always knew Silent hill 2 and 3 were ahead of their time.

We just didn't realise it was by about 14 years.

Persona7

Banned
I just restarted Silent Hill 3 HD and the scene where heather talks to her dad is now out of sync. It was not out of sync when I played this part before the patch.

Hey Tomm, if you're still here, what are the chances Konami actually acknowledges publicly the problems with this release and decide to actually do a complete work on all of the main bugs and problems by releasing a patch to fix all this?

Hey Tomm, if you're still here, what are the chances Konami actually acknowledges publicly the problems with this release and decide to actually do a complete work on all of the main bugs and problems by releasing a patch to fix all this?

Would absolutely love this, even if it just fixed the syncing, framerate and crashing problems this would completely change my opinion on the game.

Levito

Banned
I'm going to have to make a video detailing the bigger issues with your video; like saying that the fog was supposed to mask limited draw distances. Tsk tsk. :p

I don't doubt I made a few mistakes, but I'm pretty positive that the fog was in the older games primarily to hide the limited draw distances..... But yeah I could be wrong.

is it "much, much worse" on PS3 or "just a bit worse"? you said both...

Sorry about that, it's definitely much worse, what I meant but "just a bit worse" is they're both terrible ports so it really doesn't matter which version you're talking about.

RagnarokX

I don't doubt I made a few mistakes, but I'm pretty positive that the fog was in the older games primarily to hide the limited draw distances..... But yeah I could be wrong.

No. It was only there to hide draw distances in Silent Hill 1 because it was a PSX game. The fog in SH2 and SH3 is there as an artistic choice.

Basically, the fog is not there to hide the edge of the world, the edge of the world is there because that's how far you could see with the fog and there was no reason to waste resources rendering things beyond the fog.

I remember back before SH2 came out people gave Silent Hill a hard time because of the fog. When SH2 came out, being on PS2, there were no technical reasons to have the fog, but it still did because it gave the game great scary atmosphere.

Levito

Banned
No. It was only there to hide draw distances in Silent Hill 1 because it was a PSX game. The fog in SH2 and SH3 is there as an artistic choice.

Basically, the fog is not there to hide the edge of the world, the edge of the world is there because that's how far you could see with the fog and there was no reason to waste resources rendering things beyond the fog.

I remember back before SH2 came out people gave Silent Hill a hard time because of the fog. When SH2 came out, being on PS2, there were no technical reasons to have the fog, but it still did because it gave the game great scary atmosphere.

Ah right, SH1 was the one designed with that specifically in mind, thought it applied to SH2 and SH3 as well.

In either case, in the HD collection you can easily see the draw distance in SH2, so reducing the fog has indeed taken away from the atmosphere, as there's still a limited draw distance, be it artistic or technical, and the game looks worse for it.

Ahasverus

I've played it today. SH2 looks good, not perfect, but good, the worst one is SH3, the lack of self shadows is laughable, the complete lack of fog (not like Sh2, which has it diminished) is unnerving for all the wrong reasons, the HORRIBLE ALIASING is making my eyes hurt, and some textures are terrible.

I'll repeat it, SH2 looks GOOD, like Passable/Ok/Good GOOD.

Persona7

Banned
bosov.png

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
For some reason SH3 looks a bit better than SH2 in terms of model depth.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So I've got me the PC DVD version of both games, I'm ready, now to "mod" it.
58€ for the pair, preowned but in very good conditions, a bit steep honestly especially considering the
HD collection has both on 1 BRD and I can find it for almost half of that NEW but hey I couldn't find a better deal here. Maybe this whole ordeal has caused to up the prices of the PC ports? If so I wish I got 'em sooner :/

Got to the underground tunnel in SH3 tonight which is much further then where I stopped 8 years ago.

Performance seems to be OK on 360 so far. Finally I'll beat these two games :D

KorrZ

Really enjoying Silent Hill 2 so far, I don't mind the slightly less dense fog, and aside from that everything else has been a perfect recreation so far. Holy shit this game still scares the shit out of me though :lol, I'm at the hospital and had to stop playing for the night cause my hearts racing.

Cudder

You guys are probably gonna shit on me, but I played SH2 (fav game of all time) last night up until about mid way through the apartments, and I actually LIKED what I played.

1. I played with the new voices, and let me just say right off the bat, I like them. A lot. Nothing nearly as offensive as I thought they were going to be. I also had no sync issues in the cutscenes. I realize that I'm still early in the game, but it seems a ton of you had scene sync issues with the meeting Angela cutscene. Was perfect for me.

2. Again, I'm early in the game, but I only saw maybe a FEW instances of minor stutter in the framerate. Other than that, it's been a very smooth 60 or ALMOST 60fps, at all times. Whipping the camera every which way with L2 TRYING to get the game to choke up, and it just did not happen. Yes I realize there was zero slowdown in the original, so the minor (when I say minor I mean it, none of this multi-second freezeups you guys seem to be mentioning) hiccups seem bearable, ESPECIALLY coming from Downpour PS3 which has some intense slowdown.

3. I had no music/SFX issues so far. No music cutting out. Of course there still are "problems" like the lying figures sounding a bit different, and James' panting sounds more scary than any of the monsters in game for some fucked up reason, but again, I can turn my back to that shit because it doesn't affect the actual gameplay.

4. I think the game looks great. The 60fps along with the new HD-ified graphics make me happy, as I never thought I would see SH2 in this light.

5. No running/walking hitch with James at all.

So, GAF, am I simply much more forgiving than most of you (and why should I be in this case, if SH2 is my favourite game ever), or do I have the only PS3 copy that works fine?

Or maybe it's this whole thead that gave me such a thick skin because I was seriously expecting a fucking complete disaster, which I did not get, at least not YET, and not IMO.

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
You guys are probably gonna shit on me, but I played SH2 (fav game of all time) last night up until about mid way through the apartments, and I actually LIKED what I played.

1. I played with the new voices, and let me just say right off the bat, I like them. A lot. Nothing nearly as offensive as I thought they were going to be. I also had no sync issues in the cutscenes. I realize that I'm still early in the game, but it seems a ton of you had scene sync issues with the meeting Angela cutscene. Was perfect for me.

2. Again, I'm early in the game, but I only saw maybe a FEW instances of minor stutter in the framerate. Other than that, it's been a very smooth 60 or ALMOST 60fps, at all times. Whipping the camera every which way with L2 TRYING to get the game to choke up, and it just did not happen. Yes I realize there was zero slowdown in the original, so the minor (when I say minor I mean it, none of this multi-second freezeups you guys seem to be mentioning) hiccups seem bearable, ESPECIALLY coming from Downpour PS3 which has some intense slowdown.

3. I had no music/SFX issues so far. No music cutting out. Of course there still are "problems" like the lying figures sounding a bit different, and James' panting sounds more scary than any of the monsters in game for some fucked up reason, but again, I can turn my back to that shit because it doesn't affect the actual gameplay.

4. I think the game looks great. The 60fps along with the new HD-ified graphics make me happy, as I never thought I would see SH2 in this light.

5. No running/walking hitch with James at all.

So, GAF, am I simply much more forgiving than most of you (and why should I be in this case, if SH2 is my favourite game ever), or do I have the only PS3 copy that works fine?

Or maybe it's this whole thead that gave me such a thick skin because I was seriously expecting a fucking complete disaster, which I did not get, at least not YET, and not IMO.

Cudder, I don't think you're crazy at all. I played some more of the game last night—I got through the hospital, and am back in the town. When you're in interior environments, the game seems to run just fine (post-patch). It's when you get back outside that things really mess up.

After the hospital, the game was slowing down, hitching, and acting strange again. Also, for whatever reason, James' odd, scratchy breathing only seems to be a problem during the apartment area. In the hospital, it sounded completely normal.

Inside, the game feels and looks really nice (though I really recommend everyone try my TV settings trick from this thread). Outside I think it's a different story. For me personally, it's the fog issue that really bothers me.

Remember Tomm said there was a bug with the Pyramid Head scene that made it look like the first shot was censored? This happens with every single door; try mashing your map button or anything else after a new area loads; it actually loads a good one or two seconds before the screen fades back in.

Cudder

Cudder, I don't think you're crazy at all. I played some more of the game last night—I got through the hospital, and am back in the town. When you're in interior environments, the game seems to run just fine (post-patch). It's when you get back outside that things really mess up.

After the hospital, the game was slowing down, hitching, and acting strange again. Also, for whatever reason, James' odd, scratchy breathing only seems to be a problem during the apartment area. In the hospital, it sounded completely normal.

Inside, the game feels and looks really nice (though I really recommend everyone try my TV settings trick from this thread). Outside I think it's a different story. For me personally, it's the fog issue that really bothers me.

Remember Tomm said there was a bug with the Pyramid Head scene that made it look like the first shot was censored? This happens with every single door; try mashing your map button or anything else after a new area loads; it actually loads a good one or two seconds before the screen fades back in.

Yeah I definitely noticed it takes 1-2 seconds more when bringing up the map.

cj_iwakura

About on par with Beatmania getting an exclusive release on the PS3 with a brand new controller designed by Hori for the US market, containing every song from the last three versions.

Konami admitting to this botch would be a PR disaster. It will never, EVER happen.

Unless it gets an uproar the likes of the ME3 debacle. Which, of course, it won't.

You are more forgiving as there is no magical ps3 or ps3 copy of this that runs well. 360 version is fucked too.
SH2 (and 3) deserved better than this. I won't be touching this even with a 10-foot pole, because this approaches borderline rape to a franchise i loved back in the day. They went and changed music, VA's, and as if that wasn't bad enough, they couldn't even get the game running properly and without stupid glitches.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
What I don't understand is that if they had problems rendering everything, why the blue hell did they try and run at 60fps? They should've just left it at 30 like the originals - neither of these games are going to benefit from increasing the frame-rate.

cj_iwakura

It isn't much, but I livestreamed SH2 a bit, and grabbed some caps.

This is the oXbox version, Restless Dreams.

Low-res due to capture, but ah well. I guess I could take direct pictures with a camera or something...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Urgh, it seems like platting both is almost out of the question. I hate the less than 2 saves trophy.

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
It isn't much, but I livestreamed SH2 a bit, and grabbed some caps.

This is the oXbox version, Restless Dreams.

Low-res due to capture, but ah well. I guess I could take direct pictures with a camera or something...

Sorry, I think I'm dense; what are these for?

What I don't understand is that if they had problems rendering everything, why the blue hell did they try and run at 60fps? They should've just left it at 30 like the originals - neither of these games are going to benefit from increasing the frame-rate.

I completely agree with this; I would be more than happy to have a 30FPS game that is locked and smooth. I think in many cases the 60FPS makes the game and movement look out of place.

Cudder

Urgh, it seems like platting both is almost out of the question. I hate the less than 2 saves trophy.

It's absolutely a patience tester, but since you need to speedrun through the game, you'll only be losing under an hour of your time each time you try to get "from save point to save point" if you know what I mean. It'll be a time sink, but the play sessions being only an hour or less definitely softens the pain, imo.

bro1: dude I got a PS3 and like psycological horror!
bro2: dude you should buy Silent Hill 2 for the PS2 and Silent Hill 3 for the PC!
bro3: true story!

Top Bottom