• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection's new SH2 voices revealed

colormage1

Neo Member
I'm not happy... Not at all.

From what I'm reading, it seems like these aren't the finalized voices, so I'm hoping that something changes.

I love SH2. It's my favorite game of all time.

And when I heard that they were redoing the voices, I had mixed feelings but felt that it could be a better game because the voice acting was arguably the worst thing about the game.

These voices are definitely worst. There was something very smooth and haunting about all the original voices. These seem raspy. All of them. I'm assuming it's how they were directed. There is this very rough quality that is unappealing.

And Mary also couldn't sound happier even though she will die in about... 10 seconds? >>

Typographenia said:
Okay, let's all calm down here, now. No need to do or say anything we're all going to regret! LET'S JUST REMAIN CALM.
It's not the best, but it's not that bad.

IT'S THE SHITTIEST VA TO EVER SHIT A SHIT

Nah, but it's a massive contrast to the quality of everything else in the game so it stands out in my memory. Like, it was graphically superb, the story was incredible, the atmosphere peerless... etc etc

Mr_Zombie

typo said:
3.) Eddie actually sounds menacing versus an annoying shit-for-brains.
But he was a shit-for-brains; that voice fit him. And the way he delivered that exact line ("Killing a person ain't no big deal.") was perfect; you could hear that he snapped, that there's something insane in his voice. I don't feel it with the new voice.

4.) Nostalgia runs a bit too deep with some of you.
As I've said before, original voices are stuck in my head forever. The moment I started to watch the video I instantly expected to hear those old voices with that delivery, so hearing something new was... weird. I felt a disconnection between what I saw and what I heard, like if those voices don't belong to those characters. :(

I'm worried about SH3 now. I don't want new voice actors for Vincent or Claudia.

mollipen

TheJollyCorner said:
oh come on, shidoshi!

Mary Elizabeth McGlynn did the infamous line from FFXIII that everyone makes fun of around 'ere! :p

Oh, see, having not played that yet, that would be why that one flew right over my head.

Maybe it's due to the fact that I've played SH2 so many times that the voices are burned into my memory, but those just don't sound right. As of right now, I really don't like this.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Combichristoffersen said:
I think it got delayed until 2012 due to Konami making a 360 version of the collection

Seriously, as much as a 360 version is for the better, delaying it for the sake of making it multiplatform is fucking annoying.

Fuck you Konami.

rahuljx

Im definitely in the camp who prefers the original. But seeing these clips out of context, without music, etc makes the new voicework all the more jarring so I'll probably wait till I get a look at the finished product.

Having said that are they adding new scenes, new lines, etc.? If they arent I really dont see the point of new VA. The ending of the original was really special and the whole story/game hinges on it, so I hope they dont screw it up, otherwise we'll have bunch of new gamers who'll never understand why SH2 is rated so high.

Man, seeing those scenes pulled my nostalgia strings. I should take one of my two copies of Silent Hill 2 for a spin again sometime soon. That would make it what? the fifteenth time?

What a masterpiece. I salute you PS2 era Konami, and at the same time shit on your modern outsource era self.

randomwab

This whole thing makes me feel really uncomfotable. I mean, we're getting all this because Konami won't pay Guy Cihi? It cost less to rerecord all the voices instead of paying this one dude for a couple of re-releases? There's just something dodgy about the whole deal.

And I mean, my problem isn't really with the quality of the voice-acting. To me, this very much feels like a George Lucas "Original Trilogy" style ordeal. Believe it or not, people like Silent Hill 2 as it is, flaws and all. As someone in this thread already mentioned, you wouldn't want to buy a copy of something like Resident Evil on Playstation, only to find the voices changed. By all means, do new voices for the people who disliked them in the original, but at least give us an option.

Nemesis_

l'eclisse said:
Im definitely in the camp who prefers the original. But seeing these clips out of context, without music, etc makes the new voicework all the more jarring so I'll probably wait till I get a look at the finished product.

Having said that are they adding new scenes, new lines, etc.? If they arent I really dont see the point of new VA. The ending of the original was really special and the whole story/game hinges on it, so I hope they dont screw it up, otherwise we'll have bunch of new gamers who'll never understand why SH2 is rated so high.

As previously mentioned, it's done assumedly because they won't pay royalties to the guy who plays James.

Is that McGlynn playing Mary and Maria?

Mr_Zombie

randomwab said:
This whole thing makes me feel really uncomfotable. I mean, we're getting all this because Konami won't pay Guy Cihi? It cost less to rerecord all the voices instead of paying this one dude for a couple of re-releases? There's just something dodgy about the whole deal.
I suppose they would had to pay all SH2 voice actors for the re-releases, not only Guy Cihi.

randomwab

Mr_Zombie said:
I suppose they would had to pay all SH2 voice actors for the re-releases, not only Guy Cihi.

But I thought the problem was with Cihi's contract, not the others. It seems to be that he's the only one who negotiated Konami into a non-standard contract and that this was the problem.

Nemesis_

BatmanBatmanBatman said:

I get the whole OMG I WANT TO BE IN SH2 SO LET ME DIRECT THE VOICE WORK AND NOW I'LL CONVENIENTLY CAST MYSELF AS EVERY FEMALE CHARACTER vibe from her now.

>_>

Mr_Zombie

randomwab said:
But I thought the problem was with Cihi's contract, not the others. It seems to be that he's the only one who negotiated Konami into a non-standard contract and that this was the problem.
Oh, I thought everyone had the same contract so if Cihi was to win that would mean Konami would need to pay all of them. I didn't know that he had a non-standard contract.

randomwab said:

Pretty sure Cihi also claimed that he knew they owed other actors money at one point, of course it's claims but there seems to be something about it when they go out of their way to record new voices. There is no good reason to replace someone like Heather.

gatotsu911 said:
lulz @ all the fanboys screeching about how they want the Resident Evil-quality original voiceovers back.

That is not it at all. The games are extremely memorable and Silent Hill's narration is embedded in my head. The change in voice actors feels like a different game- I'll still play them but it's not the same.

Nekofrog

Banned
Nemesis556 said:
I get the whole OMG I WANT TO BE IN SH2 SO LET ME DIRECT THE VOICE WORK AND NOW I'LL CONVENIENTLY CAST MYSELF AS EVERY FEMALE CHARACTER vibe from her now.

>_>

Not only has she shown is a very competent voice director, but she is a well known and voice actress who has proven her chops many times.

tldr: suck it

randomwab

Mary/Maria's old VA was way better, imo. McGlynn just doesn't feel right for the character to me. She'd be better suited to Claudia in Silent Hill 3.

randomwab said:
By all means, do new voices for the people who disliked them in the original, but at least give us an option.

I completely agree. Has there been any official word on this? It's not like swapping out a couple of additional MB of voice data, and adding a tiny switch in the option menu, would be such an impossible thing to achieve ...

In my opinion, all of these HD collections should have a "classic" mode (= pure emulation) anyway.

Barakov said:
The new voices sound fine but I definitely prefer the old ones.

This is how I feel.

Whoever brought up the AKIRA dub comparison was spot on. The newer one was 'technically' better, but, at least for me, it lost all the charm of the original. Also- nostalgia.

I'm anxious to hear Laura- who's voice I actually really liked in the original. Little kid voice actors are usually either hit or miss with rare middle-ground.

"YOU...YOU....YOU.....FARTFACE!"
Gotta nail that line, girl!

I like Troy Baker as a VA, so I'm happy about his casting as James. Guy Cihi really grew on me- but this isn't a deal breaker to me. Still think it's shitty how Konami treated him.

jett

D-Member
lol at the CG, looks so awful

Frankly, the new voice acting is better, although it could be better still.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I dunno, I think they sound pretty good. I don't mind a bit of change as it gives the games a new element to experience.

TheJollyCorner said:
I'm anxious to hear Laura- who's voice I actually really liked in the original. Little kid voice actors are usually either hit or miss with rare middle-ground.

If the trend continues, Laura will probably sound like she's in her late 20s.

sonicmj1

Watching the comparison video:

Mary/Maria: Old one is better. Though in the original, she definitely had the best performance of the cast.
Eddie: New one in some ways sounds more fitting, but it's hard to tell without context. There's a difference between how he is earlier and how he is at that point. It makes sense that Eddie sounds like a useless douche most of the game.
James: New one is flat out better. I'm not sure how that will impact things, but this James actually sounds like he is in a town that is out to get him. That's should ultimately be a good thing.

I'd rather they didn't change the voices at all, just to preserve the original game, but it's not like they're doing a bad job at it.

cj_iwakura

Doomrider said:
She did. She's also the voice-over director, if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: That's actually mentioned in the video, oops.

She was also the voice of Jenna Angel in DDS, so more Mary Elizabeth is always good.

Acquiescence said:
I love how that video was supposed to convince me that the new dub is terrible, but instead certifies how bad the original voice acting really was.
VOTE WITH YOUR WALLET BECAUSE EVERYTHING IS TERRIBLE.

I'm ready to hear the new SH3 cast voices, now.
Also, randomwab, I agree. She did the readings for the SH3 soundtrack, and I think she'd make a great Claudia.

Typographenia said:
VOTE WITH YOUR WALLET BECAUSE EVERYTHING IS TERRIBLE.

I'm ready to hear the new SH3 cast voices, now.
Also, randomwab, I agree. She did the readings for the SH3 soundtrack, and I think she'd make a great Claudia.

SH3 one is interesting.

I mean, the main character was named after the voice actress, for christ's sake! lol

edit:

By the way, has anyone checked the IMDB cast listing for the new SH movie?
I wonder if it's accurate? If so- MORE SEAN BEAN! :p

I think Mary's new voice suits her better. Eddie's new voice is terrible.

No real opinion on James though. I liked the voices for SH3 as they were so I'm not looking forward to the changes in that.

Most of the new voices are better and fit the characters just fine, and I don't mind them at all.

But James... whoa. I don't know if I'll ever get used to that. Of course it was never a good performance, but I really liked his original voice, it just fit such a vulnerable guy. The bad acting even fit in to the whole surreal dreamlike feel, somehow. He sounds like a totally different kind of guy now.

Aske

I'm relieved to hear these new voices. McGlynn is an excellent choice for Mary/Maria, and although she sounds jarring and has huge shoes to fill, I think her voice will work very well in the context of the game. The guys could be better, but they're far superior to the original cast. I'm really looking forward to playing SH 2 without James's painfully bad VA. Huge sigh of relief for me.

The VA in 2/3 (the only two I've played so far) were shit.

I'm sure the final version of this collection will be infinitely better than the original versions.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
hey_it's_that_dog said:
I'm in the camp (I'm assuming there's a whole camp) that believes the original voice acting was bad, but bad in a special way that enhanced the uneasy feeling of the game. It's not something that would fly in a game released today, obviously, given that VO quality has improved considerably in the last decade. So maybe it's good that they've tried to maintain some of the awkwardness.

I understand what you mean, and some of the VO in the original releases of the game certainly help increase the "creepiness" factor(like Angela; her awkward delivery genuinely did work for the character, but some of the other characters were just off. Like James).

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I hated the VO in the Silent Hills, I just thought they weren't especially good. I started replaying SH1, and the VO is just laughably bad. There's nothing creepy about it at all. Outside of Heather and maybe Claudia, the VO in SH3 is pretty shit too.

SH2 has a lot of awkward VO, but some of it works, although I think James was just terribly acted.

I'll always have a soft spot for the VO, but I'm interested in seeing how this new take is going to work out. I'm really curious. Who knows. We've only seen a snippet of dialogue, it's hard to tell how that performance is going to be across the whole game. inFAMOUS 2's new Cole sounded a little weird in the few short trailer snippets we got, but in the final game, I thought he worked so much better than Jason Cottle.

Mr_Zombie

It's a shame they didn't show Angela's new voice. She's the only one that bothered me in SH2; even though she's meant to be a teenager, she sounds like 30+ years old.

New James starts to grow on me. Mary/Maria... sounds too old, I prefer the old, more playful and sexy Maria, but on her own she's still good.
However, Eddie is terrible. Old one - a stupid useless loser - was way better.

Just so I can get things straight, the new cast from the trailer is as follows:

James: Troy Baker (Yuri, Snow, Booker, Vincent)

Maria: Mary Elizabeth McGlynn (Motoko, Kurenai, Helba)

Eddie: Liam O'Brien (Gaara, War, Grimoire Weiss)

Am I right in this assumption? Eddie is a stretch, but I'm a big O'Brien fan and was all like, dat breathing!

Lavalamp1138 said:
Eddie: Liam O'Brien (Gaara, War, Grimoire Weiss)

Am I right in this assumption? Eddie is a stretch, but I'm a big O'Brien fan and was all like, dat breathing!

I have no idea, but his James Mason impression in Nier was by far my favorite thing about that sketchy game

sonicmj1

revolverjgw said:
Most of the new voices are better and fit the characters just fine, and I don't mind them at all.

But James... whoa. I don't know if I'll ever get used to that. Of course it was never a good performance, but I really liked his original voice, it just fit such a vulnerable guy. The bad acting even fit in to the whole surreal dreamlike feel, somehow. He sounds like a totally different kind of guy now.

In more intimate moments, James' voice kinda worked. He sounded like a very vulnerable, tired, pretty normal guy. Unremarkable in a way you don't normally see in games.

But he pretty much never seemed concerned the entire game. At his most distressed, he sounded kinda annoyed, like this trip to Silent Hill is the worst vacation ever, where all the roads are out, and it's foggy, and the shops are closed and the locks are broken. This is nothing like what it said in the brochure!

There's rarely any sense that he perceives that he is (or was) in actual peril, like a slightly less bad version of some of House of the Dead 2's voice acting. It's different, but I don't think it really added to the atmosphere.

As I said before, I'd rather they kept everything the same, but if they're going to make changes, these largely aren't bad changes.

Top Bottom