• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories announced for Wii/PS2/PSP for Autumn 2009

Link

The Autumn Wind
VerTiGo said:
This is true. Kitamura I think was the director's last name. I believe he directed Godzilla: Final Wars.
He's best known for directing Versus and Azumi.

Ridley327 said:
Kitamura (the cutscene director) originally set up the cutscenes as basically being 99% identical to the originals until Kojima stepped in and told him to apply his over-the-top aesthetic that he was known for. Hence the missile hopping, which was pretty tame compared to some of Kojima's own cutscenes in MGS4....

The issue fans had with Twin Snakes cutscenes was with how the handled Snake. All the Matrix crap and kick flipping missiles. While Kojima had a bunch of over the top cutscenes in MGS4, they always involved characters other than Snakes (mostly Raiden).

Haunted said:
Well, if that's all of your reasoning I don't have any pity.

edit: ah, it's PSP as well? See, there's your happy ending.

I'd rather be honest then feign some sort of facade of reason. But see, my 30 seconds of complaining have worked! We are being blessed with a PSP version! :p

VerTiGo

Banned
The Twin Snake's hate is such bullshit. The game plays amazingly well and the FPS mode implemented makes gameplay so much more bearable. I can't stand going back to the original PSone game.

Link

The Autumn Wind
TheChillyAcademic said:
I'd rather be honest then feign some sort of facade of reason. But see, my 30 seconds of complaining have worked! We are being blessed with a PSP version! :p
Easy, cowboy. A PSP version isn't confirmed yet, it's just likely.

You might still need to buy a console you're not interested in because it has a game you're... interested... in...

*head explodes*

SolidSnakex said:
The issue fans had with Twin Snakes cutscenes was with how the handled Snake. All the Matrix crap and kick flipping missiles. While Kojima had a bunch of over the top cutscenes in MGS4, they always involved characters other than Snakes (mostly Raiden).

How many times does it have to be said that Kojima didn't approve the cutscenes UNTIL they were batshit insano. It was his influence directly that resulted in the way they were directed.

TheChillyAcademic said:

I think you mistook my original post. The problem isn't the Wii, and had the game been done with any of Team Silent's approval and still on the Wii, I don't think many people would be worried.

But, combined with the fact that it is a "re-imagining" of a classic by people completely unrelated to the original game is where the addition of Wii makes the entire equation completely senseless.

Link said:
Easy, cowboy. A PSP version isn't confirmed yet, it's just likely.

You might still need to buy a console you're not interested in because it has a game you're... interested... in...

*head explodes*

:lol

My name is Chilly and I am a liar.

I own a Wii!!

::sob::

Dragona Akehi said:
How many times does it have to be said that Kojima didn't approve the cutscenes UNTIL they were batshit insano. It was his influence directly that resulted in the way they were directed.

I know that he was the one that ok'd it. But that doesn't mean that fans have to like it. I don't like that he allowed his staff to change what he'd originally planned to be the ending to MGS4 either.

Dragona Akehi said:
Sometimes you can't tell on the interwebs. Sorry.

I'm not an MGS fan, so I never figured out what was "wrong" about Twin Snakes either. Most of the "horrible shit" was directly incorporated because of Kojima himself, which also puts Twin Snakes above this as it actually has the original creator involved.

Kojima only told the cutscene director to go buckwild with them as to differentiate it over the original game. The problem with Twin Snakes overall is that it didn't offer any significant improvements over the old game aside from the graphics. Haphazardly slapping in MGS2's mechanics without refining them is the main culprit.

Chumly

Rhythm Heaven (DS): 9.0
Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier (DS): 7.0
Excitebots (Wii): 8.0
Klonoa (Wii): 9.0
Steal Princess (DS): 6.0
Major Minor’s Majestic March (Wii): 6.0
Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars Director’s Cut (Wii): 7.0
Don King Boxing (Wii): 5.5
Dokapon Journey (DS): 4.0
GTA Chinatown Wars (DS): 9.0
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus (Wii): 7.5
Touch Mechanic (DS): 5.0
The Dark Spire (DS): 5.0
Pokemon Platinum (DS): 9.0

SolidSnakex said:
I know that he was the one that ok'd it. But that doesn't mean that fans have to like it. I don't like that he allowed his staff to change what he'd originally planned to be the ending to MGS4 either.

So, theoretically, if Kojima himself made the exact same cutscenes directed in the same fashion, then you'd be ok with it? But the fact that he explicitly demanded something and then made sure his wishes were followed but was done by someone else somehow negates his essentially full involvement?

I don't understand people. At any rate, it's probably best to drop this as my anecdote is derailing the thread.

VegaShinra

Chumly said:
Klonoa = Get.

Link said:
You better hope Dragona's in a good mood.

To be fair, the Wii is capable of some absolutely fantastic games, I for one just never thought SH would be one of them.

As a heavy Silent Hill fan I suppose my reaction was more shock then anything.

Dragona Akehi said:
I think you mistook my original post. The problem isn't the Wii, and had the game been done with any of Team Silent's approval and still on the Wii, I don't think many people would be worried.

But, combined with the fact that it is a "re-imagining" of a classic by people completely unrelated to the original game is where the addition of Wii makes the entire equation completely senseless.

No I understand, the Wii itself has nothing to do, intrinsically, with the quality of the game itself. Like I said before, this game should be judged on how good a Silent Hill title it is.

Ridley327

SolidSnakex said:

Funny enough, TTS actually made one of the cutscenes a bit more realistic compared to the original: the introduction to the tank battle. Snake actually reacting to being fired at and not breaking into a I'M A BADASS™ pose was a surprisingly good addition.

To be honest, the TTS has always been ridiculously overblown, even if I do find it to be overwhelmingly mediocre overall. You would think with all the bitching there was about it that it was really a snuff film pressed onto a Gamecube disc and ended with Dyack pointing and laughing at you. And then fucking the poor corpse.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Chumly said:
lazytown.gif

EDIT -
TheChillyAcademic said:
To be fair, the Wii is capable of some absolutely fantastic games, I for one just never thought SH would be one of them.

RE works just fine, and if they throw in some waggle flashlight action, I could see it working well.

People do have short memory, the fact its on the wii, i remember i was expecting final fantasy for my n64 along other franchises that were on Nintendo platfforms previously...

TheChillyAcademic said:

You get to live this time because you are an advocate of Hot Dogi. Don't do it again. :p

Kenka

Somebody interested by this ?

Gilgamesh

Cover looks like shit but the screens look good. I thought Origins was a worthy entry in the franchise, so I'm looking forward to this.

I PROPOSE A MEME

silent hill: shat-upon memories lololol

now where do i file the necessary paperwork for this sort of thing

Gino

I loved twin snakes. I don't' think I could play the original at this point because of the lack of being able to go first person.

Ridley327 said:
Kitamura (the cutscene director) originally set up the cutscenes as basically being 99% identical to the originals until Kojima stepped in and told him to apply his over-the-top aesthetic that he was known for. Hence the missile hopping, which was pretty tame compared to some of Kojima's own cutscenes in MGS4....

It's not like Kitamura himself is all that "stable" of a movie director. He easily made one of the worst Godzilla movies of all time as the big guy's 50th anniversary movie. The only highlight was watching the original kill the American CGI abomination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOISbaA2G18

badcrumble said:
I PROPOSE A MEME

silent hill: shat-upon memories lololol

now where do i file the necessary paperwork for this sort of thing
Oh give me a fucking break. Get the fuck out of here trooollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.

Ridley327

Cow Mengde said:
It's not like Kitamura himself is all that "stable" of a movie director. He easily made one of the worst Godzilla movies of all time as the big guy's 50th anniversary movie. The only highlight was watching the original kill the American CGI abomination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOISbaA2G18

Oh, I'm not saying Kitamura is some sort of cornerstone of modern film making or anything (despite my fondness for Versus and Aragami). He took on a job and his boss told him to do it a certain way; nothing more, nothing less. He really does need to get back into directing original material, though.

TheKingsCrown said:
Oh give me a fucking break. Get the fuck out of here trooollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.
Look, I'm completely willing to concede that it has a halfway decent shot at having superior voice acting.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
FFObsessed said:
Yeh it went up on some EU stores for a few days then got taken down for some legal reasons that Sony didn't really explain. I nabbed it day 1 tho so I'm good :p

???????

:(.... feck...

drink...

arse...

and so on :).

Sadist

TheChillyAcademic said:
So its confirmed for PSP now? lol
Climax's site hinted at a Wii/PSP Konami game that would change a survival horror game.

Here it is. A PSP port will be announced soon.

bridegur

I never played the original, but it looks like the remake has lost a lot of the Japanese "style" that the first few games had. Now it just looks like a generic American game.

Gino

Wii is the only thing it's been confirmed for. The rest is just GAF assuming. I'm not saying it won't happen but nobody really knows yet.

Gino

bridegur said:
I never played the original, but it looks like the remake has lost a lot of the Japanese "style" that the first few games had. Now it just looks like a generic American game.
all that from 2 screenshots.

Top Bottom