• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories announced for Wii/PS2/PSP for Autumn 2009

dallow_bg said:
Thanks!

And wow!

-Combat has been completely removed from the game. "Instead, you have no choice but to flee, which proves considerably more terrifying."

Ok, I'm excited again.
fuck yeah, I coulnd't play SH3 because of the melee fighting controls

Varth

botticus said:
SilentHillCover.jpg

Run to the light, Bruce!

bestami

Siren:NT had "no combat" levels. It was pretty interesting and tense being completely powerless, trying to run and hide from the shibito. I don't know if i'd like siren as much if the whole game was like that tho.

Too all the people bitching about this being on the Wii:

justinjf1.jpg

Guess what, Street Fighter II sold the most units and is Konami's most successful retail game of all time....on the SNES.

Where's SFIV?

Classic Bionic Commando was only on Nintendo systems for 20 years.

Where's Bionic Commando 2009?

Wii-only owners put up with a lot, soooooo...why not be happy for them, huh?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Silent Hill Remake is yes, very yes. I honestly couldn't get into the PS1 version after having played 2, 3 and 4 already, so I appreciate this.

The combat comment sounds exciting if possibly the game's final downfall, but everything else sounds bang up to order.

Gimme!

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
The-Switcher said:

Guess what, Street Fighter II sold the most units and is Konami's most successful retail game of all time....on the SNES.

Where's SFIV?

Konami and Capcom are different companies.

fernoca

The-Switcher said:

Where's SFIV?

Meme or typo?

Mar

Oh man, I was just about to get upset because I sold my Wii just a month ago. Thank god it's not a Team Silent game, because I'd have to re-buy.

Foil

Does Konami not have any staff left or something. Why do they keep farming this franchise out?

Amir0x said:
Wait I don't get it. Combat has never been Silent Hill's strong point, but every encounter is now a chase sequence? That sounds like one of the dumbest things ever. :(

Pretty much. Wouldn't the Wiimote give combat a potential upgrade as well? Guess I'll have to wait and see how they're doing this.

Being a fan of the Clock Tower games, I'm not totally against the whole idea of chase sequences. However, it would seem to make more sense for certain enemies, like Pyramid Head. Bludgeoning abominations to death using the WiiMote as as lead pipe would have been good stress relief - and it wouldn't even matter if the gesture controls were imprecise. That was the point of having a Joe Everyman protagonist.

If they really are going this route, it would also make sense not to have all those permanently locked doors. Still, I hope they do not cut back on the exploration aspect. It was so fun just wandering around the town in parts 1 and 2, even if you could not go into every place you wanted to.

I hope they pull this off. Right now it seems like less enemy encounters and less exploration, however if they can make the encounters and areas more meaningful by doing so, more power to them.

Paracelsus

The-Switcher said:

...actually, I feel sorry for the remake itself, not for where the remake is made.

Silent Clock Tower? Give me a damn break.

Orgen

The-Switcher said:

Where's SFIV?

Castlevania Capcom joke?

Argh, beaten

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
The-Switcher said:

Where's SFIV?

You're... kidding, right?

Right?

I doubt that they're actually eliminating all combat, regardless of what the article says; more likely, there'll be more situations where you have to take advantage of the environment to dispose of enemies, in addition to the chase sequences. What's (probably) being gotten rid of is conventional weapon-based combat, not any sequence where you actually have to kill anything.

Haunted

I can't wait for the day when Konami buys Capcom so that meme doesn't work anymore. Not because it's not funny but I always have to do a double-take. :lol

Meesh

The-Switcher said:
Too all the people bitching about this being on Wii

Where's SFIV?

You're a sweet heart.

Also, I played the original, didn't get very far...I just wasn't that into it...maybe being on Wii will change that?

I hope it's scary as hell, and running from things being the main play mechanic doesn't really sound like a bad idea. Silent Hill remake putting the survival back into survival horror??? :)

No Combat? I don't know what to think of this.

Anyway lulz at the people complaining that it's on the Wii. First the Wii has no good games then when it gets them people bitch.

I see no reason for this game to be on the PS3/360/PC. If they use the motion controls correctly and the Wii's unique capabilities this could be really fun.

Those details are amazing. Every single one of them. Bring it on. I know what I want in my horror games and this is it. I just hope it still feels like Silent Hill, at least to a decent degree, and that stuff like the music and story are still of typical SH quality.

Ganondorfo said:
He doesn't even look like the character harry mason.

R.I.P. Silent hill 1999-2003.

Yeah, you're right.

Totally.

It doesn't look anything like the iconic design from the original. The charm, the down-to-earth everyman look Harry had to him. People responded to the tiny details that made Harry Mason...well, Harry Mason. That design....sigh...it'll live on in every gamer's memories as one of the most endearing character designs of....the entire industry.

sh1.jpg

...it's a fucking tragedy.

Bizzyb

Banned
VerTiGo said:
The Twin Snake's hate is such bullshit. The game plays amazingly well and the FPS mode implemented makes gameplay so much more bearable. I can't stand going back to the original PSone game.

Ditto. I think it's mostly people who never owned Gamecube and were upset they didn't get to play it that hate on it. To this day I just cannot see how anyone could hate on the game. It improves on just about everything while still providing an awesome story and gameplay experience.

DreD

The-Switcher said:
Yeah, you're right.

Totally.

It doesn't look anything like the iconic design from the original. The charm, the down-to-earth everyman look Harry had to him. People responded to the tiny details that made Harry Mason...well, Harry Mason.

sh1.jpg

...it's a fucking tragedy.

Haha, touché.

Looks like the "new" Harry Mason wears glasses.

I don't know why you guys are making a joke out of this. I like the art (who gives a fuck about his hair?) and the lack of backtracking and useless doors is a huge plus for me. Sounds like it's going to be superb.

This will be bought soooooooooo hard. The no combat sounds great, I loved the feeling it gave in Haunting Ground(yeah, the game is flawed, blah blah). Im sure it will be executed differently in here though. Never cared for the melee combat in any of these games anyway, its always been busted looking.

MoogPaul

People complaining about the no combat can shut up and go enjoy the horrific mindless dribble that is Resident Evil 5.

pakkit

Banned
So it's Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles, Dead Space Extraction, Winter (maybe), Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, REmakes, and Cursed Mountain.

Sheeit.

My6cats

Banned
The-Switcher said:

justinjf1.jpg

Where's SFIV?

Konami didn't make Street Fighter 2 or 4 mor did Konami make Bionic Commando. Capcom did, and if you already knew this why mention Capcom games???

MoogPaul

Vyse The Legend said:
This isn't the RE5 thread. Stop the blatant trolling.

Oh please, get off your mountain. The combat focused RE5 is ONE way the "horror" genre is going, this is the other way. Not all games need to be the same. If you want combat intensive, go play those.

Nice Hunk avatar by the way.

Eteric Rice

You know, maybe you can't beat them hand to hand? I mean, they are freakish monsters that you normally wouldn't have a chance to kill. Maybe part of it is escaping, and using the enviorment to kill them in various different ways?

You can probably "defend" yourself, though. Push them off, etc.

MoogPaul said:
Oh please, get off your mountain. The combat focused RE5 is ONE way the "horror" genre is going, this is the other way. Not all games need to be the same. If you want combat intensive, go play those.

Nice Hunk avatar by the way.

Thanks. Too bad HUNK, whilst an RE character, wasn't in RE5 - hence my disappointment with that game and the creation of this avatar.

You can troll all you want in the RE5 thread. That's why it exists.

This, however, is about Silent Hill, a game from a different company. It's fine to love or hate the new approach. But, it's clear you're trying to bait people.

Top Bottom