• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories announced for Wii/PS2/PSP for Autumn 2009

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
So this isn't a joke? Alright, the combat aspect (or rather, that you flee from enemies) is something I appreciate a lot. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't, but I love that they're at least TRYING to do something different. Also, the horror genre needs a kick in the balls for going way too far into the action territory (or in some cases, not going anywhere at all).

The only negative part with this game is...it's a remake. I can see reasons as to why they want to do a remake since it's probably a safer bet, people are familiar with the first game. Also, they won't have to create new story and characters, something I find both sad (are they just giving up now?) and a relief seeing as Climax/Konami didn't really do anything interesting with Origins at all in that regard.

And I think it's kind of a waste to create something new and different, only to throw it into a remake of the first game. I would've preferred a new Silent Hill game in that case, especially since I already know the ins and outs of the story in the original. Also, to mess around with the original to that degree (gameplay-wise), it just rubs me the wrong way.
But maybe I'm just being too conservative here. Because with all that said, this is still the most exciting horror game news I've heard in a while.

Jocchan said:
Wrong. Only Toyama from SH1 worked on Siren. The rest of Team Silent kept working on the franchise until - apparently - the early planning stages of SH5.
Then it was eventually dissolved, and its members spread throughout Konami.
I think Masahiro Ito, monster designer for SH2 and 3, ended up working on the Silent Hill graphic novels (I can't remember exactly how, and I'm too sleepy to check).

There were others than left with Toyama also, although he's obviously the biggest and most well known one. The rest of Team Silent seems to be spread around Konami now. Ito even did some work on MGS4.

Teknoman

Kiriku said:
So this isn't a joke? Alright, the combat aspect (or rather, that you flee from enemies) is something I appreciate a lot. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't, but I love that they're at least TRYING to do something different. Also, the horror genre needs a kick in the balls for going way too far into the action territory (or in some cases, not going anywhere at all).

The only negative part with this game is...it's a remake. I can see reasons as to why they want to do a remake since it's probably a safer bet, people are familiar with the first game. Also, they won't have to create new story and characters, something I find both sad (are they just giving up now?) and a relief seeing as Climax/Konami didn't really do anything interesting with Origins at all in that regard.

And I think it's kind of a waste to create something new and different, only to throw it into a remake of the first game. I would've preferred a new Silent Hill game in that case, especially since I already know the ins and outs of the story in the original. Also, to mess around with the original to that degree (gameplay-wise), it just rubs me the wrong way.
But maybe I'm just being too conservative here. Because with all that said, this is still the most exciting horror game news I've heard in a while.

Does this still really count as a remake?

LM4sure

Banned
skinnyrattler said:
Never played the 1st one. But will it have PS1 graphics?

a lot of people actually prefer those graphics over the graphics in the sequels so I wouldn't necessarily call that a bad thing. Maybe a good thing? but we'll see...

Amir0x

Banned
comedy bomb said:
You mean because it's scary trying to survive all the crap that comes out for it? ;p

:lol :lol

Teknoman said:
Does this still really count as a remake?

Yes. I also hate to break it to the dude who made the quote saying "it's not a remake or a port, this is an important distinction!", but it is a remake. By definition, there is really no way else to put it.

fernoca

Kiriku said:
But is not a remake..it's as remake of the first game, the same Batman Begins was to the original Batman.
“The characters play different roles, things don’t necessarily happen in the same order, and the story is taken in lots of new directions. You still play as Harry Mason, you’re still looking for your daughter, and you’ll see familiar elements, but they’re all twisted to betray your expectations.”

Seems that the basic premise Harry losing his daughter, goes to Silent Hill, hell breaks loose, meets Cybil..is still there, but even the article points that they changed many things in the story to make it feel new and different.

fernoca said:
But is not a remake..it's as remake of the first game, the same Batman Begins was to the original Batman.

Seems that the basic premise Harry losing his daughter, goes to Silent Hill, hell breaks loose, meets Cybil..is still there, but even the article points that they changed many things in the story to make it feel new and different.

Uh, are you referring to Tim Burton's Batman? Batman Begins had a completely different plot and characters from the 1989 movie.

SH:SM, however, has the same basic plot, the same setting, and is in the same genre as the original game. Whatever Climax wants to call it, and however drastically different the actual gameplay is, it's still a remake in my book.

Would you say that Metroid Zero Mission isn't a remake? Because it isn't, at least by the standards here.

-The developer wants the game to be as immersive as possible. "When you want to check on something in the environment, for example, you simply fix your view on it rather than press a button, and instead of text appearing on screen, Harry comments vocally."

-The static noise comes out of the Wii Remote now. It also acts as your cell phone. "Just as we're starting to feel sufficiently uncomfortable, the Wii Remote rings and nearly scares us out of our seats." "There's no response when we answer this particular call, so we hang up and try the first thing that comes to mind: dial 911. An emergency dispatcher actually picks up, her voice emanating from the Wii Remote speaker, but she can't hear Harry and eventually hangs up. Looks like we're on our own."

These are actually cooler than the no combat stuff.

fernoca said:

uhhh what original batman?

The original batman was a comic series then in the 80s burton made some movies based on it and then 20 years later Chris Nolan took a stab at the material its not trying to be a remake of burtons batman.

This game is following the storyline of the first game and will presumably include all the famous scenes (if the cover is any indication).

Go Nintendo said:
-Combat has been removed from the game, you can only flee

-When the monsters chase you the Z button will allow you to break through doors, climb fences, through windows etc.
I am now quite intrigued. This sounds intense, which means I probably won't play it. >_> Silent Hill with combat is still too creepy for me.

markatisu

evilromero said:
No combat? YES. Finally some motherfucking company gets it. (I'm giving you the evil eye Capcom,for fucking up RE5).

Seriously, some of the most intense gaming I have had was running low/out of Ammo in the RE Remake on the GC or having to run around and find a damn typewriter tape and conserve ammo (or find it) without getting hit

I think people are whining just to whine now

to me no combat at all is just as bad as on rails. How comes nobody believes in real surival horror anymore where you explore, solve puzzles and have a limited amount of ammo that you try to save for difficult situations and boss fights???

Wait no combat? WTF. Horrible decision, so its basically an all puzzle game now. Sorry but that is not SH1, SH1 was the best non RE, RE like game ever made. Combat while no where near as good as RE1 was a part of that. Would would the beginning diner scene be like if you have nothing to defend yourself with. Everytime a freaking dog shows up you have to run... omg how annoying. Evil children with knives, oh yeah constantly running around them in the hallways will be fun...

Good luck having boss fights without combat.

Teknoman

MiamiWesker said:
Wait no combat? WTF. Horrible decision, so its basically an all puzzle game now. Sorry but that is not SH1, SH1 was the best non RE, RE like game ever made. Combat while no where near as good as RE1 was a part of that. Would would the beginning diner scene be like if you have nothing to defend yourself with. Everytime a freaking dog shows up you have to run... omg how annoying. Evil children with knives, oh yeah constantly running around them in the hallways will be fun...

Well its totally redesigned from the ground up, so who knows? Im just hoping its good since wiimote flashlight aiming sounds nice.

Amir0x

Banned
MiamiWesker said:

It's redesigned so I suspect the intensity of enemy encounters will be dramatically reduced... or at least, I hope.

"Survival" Horror eh?

We'll see.

While I can understand the thinking behind not have combat, in the traditional sense, it doesn't automatically make it a triumphant revelation in game design. True, combat has always, usually, been optional aside from bosses in the SH series, but its there for a reason. Apart from Homecoming's asinine rationalization of Alex's battle prowess, the protagonists wildly wield blunt objects and clumsily handle firearms. That adds to the tension, to the suspense...I'm not sure how I feel about doing away with this aspect of the series altogether.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
No combat is going to be an interesting bird. We'll see how it flies.

If the fail at building the game around this, it will just feel tedious and pointless.

If they succeed, it's going to be fuck awesome.

billy.sea

Banned
The success of RE4 turns the whole industry into bringing horror games on the Wii.
Resident Evil
Dead Space
House of the Dead
Silent Hill
Fatal Frame
MadWorld etc

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Hmmmmm.......I don't even know what to think. I'd like an SH, but not for the Wii, and definitely not without combat. And that NP cover is the worse in recent memory.

billy.sea said:
The success of RE4 turns the whole industry into bringing horror games on the Wii.
Resident Evil
Dead Space
House of the Dead
Silent Hill
Fatal Frame
MadWorld etc
MadWorld and House of the Dead are horror?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I dont' believe the "no combat" is throughout all the game, not even for a second.

I you can bet your ass there will be some way to make your way through the monsters or, at the very least, bosses. I'm inclined to believe we'll see something like "use the surroundings to fight back", dunno think like running with the enemies behind almost reaching your feet but then BAM! you prepped that rock to fall at a certain time, or BAM! incinerate something... or train that dog to kil for you :lol

Thinking like that gives me a good vibe about the game, and besides combat has ALWAYS SUCKED HARD in SH games, so I'd love to see some kind of new "escape" mechanic in the game or whatever the developer has prepped for us I'm good, but I don't believe for a moment that you'll only run from the monsters for the entire game.

Ok seeing the scans I can dig it. The second I saw the classic diner remade like that I got all giddy.

Screw what I said before I want this game BADLY.

Amir0x said:
MiamiWesker is bipolar CONFIRMED :lol

:lol

I was commenting without ever seeing or reading info, just going by posts on this page. The second I saw how it looked, omg I dont care if the game has you get into card battles with enemies I want it. I really love the original SH, its exciting to see them go back to their roots. I'll pass judgement when the game hits.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
EmCeeGramr said:
yeah man when i think survival horror i think house of the dead

yeah man you said horror though, same for the guy you quoted.
The survival part it's only in your head.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Next-gen horror:

--Kameo
--Resident Evil
--Siren
--Silent Hill
--Left 4 Dead
--Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection
--Time Crisis 4

or for those who remember, Wii is a survival horror BEAST, can you think of other survival horror beasts?

Other cool info:

-You take a personality profile from a psychiatrist at the beginning. It asks questions ranging from making friends to those of "a more adult nature." This influences the story, as well as the way the monsters look.
-You carry around a touchscreen phone with the apps for marking locations or taking photos (which can reveal hidden things)

Jon

Anticitizen One said:
to me no combat at all is just as bad as on rails. How comes nobody believes in real surival horror anymore where you explore, solve puzzles and have a limited amount of ammo that you try to save for difficult situations and boss fights???

But, this is Silent Hill: SHATTERED MEMORIES. Those are ideals of the past!

EmCeeGramr said:
Other cool info:

-You take a personality profile from a psychiatrist at the beginning. It asks questions ranging from making friends to those of "a more adult nature." This influences the story, as well as the way the monsters look.
-You carry around a touchscreen phone with the apps for marking locations or taking photos (which can reveal hidden things)
That's pretty interesting. If the implement it well it could be really cool.

EmCeeGramr said:
Other cool info:

Awesome. Sounds like it will have great replay value just like the original.

markatisu

Amir0x said:
how is Mad World a horror game?

The Castle and Dungeon part of the map were pretty horror influenced, unless you consider Frankenstein, Reapers, Zombies, and Werewolves some other genre

Top Bottom