• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories E3 Walk-through

Mar_ said:
Unfortunately because I really would like to love a Silent Hill game again. I'm a long time hardcore fan.

I'm also a longtime hardcore fan of the series, and at least at the moment I'd have to say you're making a huge mistake not getting this game. Obviously things could change by release, but I haven't been excited about a Silent Hill game like this since 3.

And you might as well get a Wii and hold onto it this time -- they always come back.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I wasn't sold on the ice world initially, but as he was running around the warped images provided by the ice, refracting lights and objects behind them, made me panic about what was happening to the world around.

This looks great. Yet another game this E3 has made me jump in on.

le.phat

the enemies just dont seem menacing at all. They grab on to the player, but they don't seem to attack them. Also it seems tiresome to constantly shake them off when they hardly pose a threat.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Looks great. My only concern was the "running" from enemies looks like it will turn into fighting enemies if you mess up. And by fighting, I mean traditional Silent Hill flailing-- trying to get them off you, trying to maneuver around them, etc...and in that case, you might almost want a lead pipe. But it looks great.

Nemesis_

le.phat said:
the enemies just dont seem menacing at all. They grab on to the player, but they don't seem to attack them. Also it seems tiresome to constantly shake them off when they hardly pose a threat.
Well, to be fair, some of the enemies in the other games only grabbed onto you as well. They were minor inconveniences more than anything else.

I'm sure when / if we get into the nurses, donut men and pendulum kind of creatures we'll probably see something.

Also, the enemies in the trailers we've seen so far, will they be changing with the psyche profile or are they set? I didn't see anything alluding to the former just like they did with Cybil and the environments in the trailers.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Nemesis556 said:
Also, the enemies in the trailers we've seen so far, will they be changing with the psyche profile or are they set? I didn't see anything alluding to the former just like they did with Cybil and the environments in the trailers.
The developers have said that they will change.

There needs to be some kind of dodge action to avoid getting grabbed, because it looked like it's gonna be tank controls and that makes it hard to avoid enemies consistently.

pakkit

Banned
Bluemercury said:
The game looks great all the complaning is just because its not on HD systems as usual.
It's mostly nitpicking, which I agree with. The enemies should be more menacing (they evolve over time, though, we've only seen the base monster), and the game should have more silence.

Eteric Rice

le.phat said:

In the trailer they drag you down and shit. Like he was trying to crawl somewhere, and they grabbed his feet and started trying to drag him away if I remember correctly.

Pretty menacing to me. >_>

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
- Multiple enemies can grab on to you at once.
- Damage makes you 'limp' and move slower.
- Enemies can follow you everywhere you go.
- Enemies can hunt you out if you hide.
- Enemies cannot be killed.
- They're just as fast as you are.
- It's the first goddamn time the character went to the otherworld.

An extensive interview with fans asking questions to Tomm Hulett.

The enemies are called...
Raw Shocks.
:lol

Also, it hints that "Dr. K" and his exercises and questionnaires may return during gameplay to keep updating your profile extensively, and that you'll be surprised if you think questions correspond in a one to one fashion in the game world (i.e., answering questions about sex might not necessarily affect all sex-related possibilities).

Sadist

Sounds like a not so tasty meat.

TERMINUS: Will the player be able to sneak past and avoid enemies, or will the enemies always be aware of the player's presence and be able to find them?

TOMM: Yes, strategically avoiding enemies is a big element of the Nightmare sequences. The Nightmare you’ve seen is from the start of the game, so they get a lot more complex later on. Players can use the cell phone (static) to figure out where creatures are prowling and try to sneak past.
Splinter Hill.

KAIRU: What is the A.I. of the monsters like? Do they follow simple routines, or do they react to the player and his/her actions?

TOMM: The creatures, which are called Raw Shocks, have a very advanced AI. They don’t have any patrol routes that they follow or anything that you’ve encountered in “sneak games.” They prowl about the Nightmare areas sniffing Harry out and communicating to one another, so if Harry is spotted, the other creatures will arrive soon. They’re a lot more agile than Harry and they know the environment, so they can break off from the group and flank him, or follow him through hidden tunnels, etc. They will definitely keep you on your toes.
Oh, I hope this will work. That would make the game twice as cool.

Dascu

MEPHISTO: Will Harry have his own "monster," like Travis did, or are you guys going to recycle PH?

TOMM: We do it one better and have neither of those things! The Psych Profile will change the Raw Shocks as you play the game, so by the end you are pursued by YOUR own "monster." This takes the same theme that led to Pyramid Head’s creation and tailors it a bit for each player.
Neat. Spore: Silent Hill edition.

JDSN

Banned
The flash-forwards to the Dr's office were confirmed at E3, the questions will be more complex and will change the gameplay too.

gfdoom

Bluemercury said:
The game looks great all the complaning is just because its not on HD systems as usual.
i don't understand why they're complaining. the HD systems had their chance with SH:Homecoming and failed. The visuals weren't as tight as the ps2 versions. The best thing in homecoming was the real time world transitions but that was it. Hell, the character models in SH3 are better than those that are in SH:homecoming. And as a long time fan of the series and having played through the demo at E3, i couldn't be more excited for this version of SH.This is the fresh restart the series so desperately needed.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
What a great interview!

I love these really personal moments from developers, when they reach out and actively try to engage fans instead of just blanket PR Q&As. The title is easily one of my most anticipated this year, even before I got to play it.

bengraven

Finally watched that trailer and I have to ask this:

THERE HAD BETTER BE A FUCKING SOUNDTRACK! That is one of the best covers I've ever heard: I want that fucking "Always on my Mind" cover.

Majmun

AniHawk said:
What happened to the original team? They haven't been involved in the last three games, right?

The director of the original Silent Hill and some other former Team Silent members left and created SIREN.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Second said:
The director of the original Silent Hill and some other former Team Silent members left and created SIREN.
Uh no. This happened after Silent Hill 1.
He's asking what happened to Team Silent after Silent Hill 4.
The answer is: the team got probably disbanded, and its members were assigned to different projects.

TunaLover

I´m curious about this "networking with others artist" this could imply that Climax is working with Konami designers, modelers, etc. But the game itself (characters designs) have a western game look, nothing against it but SH games always were a pretty remarkable eastern look.

Majmun

Jocchan said:
Uh no. This happened after Silent Hill 1.
He's asking what happened to Team Silent after Silent Hill 4.
The answer is: the team got probably disbanded, and its members were assigned to different projects.

Team Silent got disbanded after the first SH...

The original TS crew is doing SIREN now. I thought he asked what the original crew was doing...

But Team Siren hasn't played a role in Origins, Homecoming or Shattered Memories. Only the composer stayed the same, I think.

TunaLover said:
I´m curious about this "networking with others artist" this could imply that Climax is working with Konami designers, modelers, etc. But the game itself (characters designs) have a western game look, nothing against it but SH games always were a pretty remarkable eastern look.

Eh, not so much an eastern look as an eastern interpretation of a western look :D

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
TunaLover said:
well, it ended up with that campy Hollywood horror look. i like this Harry better because of the more post-modern feel. the game really feels like it's soft associating with the player (yeah, this guy's pretty average, but that's okay. he's just a regular guy, just like you), as opposed to hard associating where the character is portrayed as SO SLICK (look at how cool this guy is, and you get to BE him). with the former the dev team can better work the horror in and make Harry something alot more interesting for the gamer with the right stuff.

Top Bottom