• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories E3 Walk-through

DreD

Wow, the interface and menus are really well integrated into the game. This looks very immersive.

one question: does this game feature a new score by Akira Yamaoka or AT LEAST does it contain the vast majority of his work from the original Silent Hill, possibly remastered?

In the event that it does, I will have to buy this and another damned Wii. In the event that it does not.. well we may be entering DO NOT WANT territory.

Slick trailer tho.

edit: sounds a lot like AY, and I don't recognize the tune, and I probably would. Could be new Yamaoka...?

JDSN

Banned
The soundtrack reminds me a lot of 28 days later. :D

theinfinityissue said:
one question: does this game feature a new score by Akira Yamaoka or AT LEAST does it contain the vast majority of his work from the original Silent Hill, possibly remastered?

In the event that it does, I will have to buy this and another damned Wii. In the event that it does not.. well we may be entering DO NOT WANT territory.

Slick trailer tho.

gabe90

This should have been announced at Nintendo's conference. Would have been megaton of the show. Looks really awesome!

DreD

Just finished watching part 3. I'm not quite sold on the "run and chase" mechanic, but that transition to "iced" Silent Hill gave me goosebumps. Buying on day one!

stuminus3

That looks... holy shit. Looks like exactly where Silent Hill needed to go.

I'm going on a complete media blackout on this one from this point onwards. One thing about the original Silent Hill on PS1, I had literally no idea what I was getting into when I started it. Although SH2 is my favorite so far, nothing quite came close to that feeling I got playing the original. This looks like it might recapture it. Yep, media blackout for me.

Kevtones

Wow, the visuals are really nice. The detail is there (without load times!), and I think the flashlight is going to be incredibly effective in scaring players. My only complaint was that the music felt a little bit off to me. I think deep and resonant synths would be super appropriate judging by these videos. It needs to capture the sparse and barren feeling of the surroundings better.

DAY ONE.

Well, that looked a lot better than I had thought it would. I'm not feeling so skeptical about this anymore that's for sure. I'm still not totally convinced that this ice aesthetic is a good idea, and the lack of the "alley scene" is really missed, but otherwise it looks great. Not as visually stunning as Silent Hill used to be, but the level of interactivity with the environment seems to have been really played up and it works really great in this demo. If they can expand on all this and really develop a diverse game based on this stuff I'm psyched. It's just what the franchise needs.

And man, Cybill is such a bitch now.

Piano

Banned
Whoever was playing that is one role-playing, cheating sonuvabitch, it appears :lol

Wow, the game looks phenomenal.

Maggot9 said:
Harry Mason doesn't live on Levin Street! what the fuck are they doing to this series?!

That bugged me too, but I thought it was pretty forgivable. No alley though? C'mon, that's kinda the point of remaking Silent Hill 1.

Kevtones

Big Icarus said:
That bugged me too, but I thought it was pretty forgivable. No alley though? C'mon, that's kinda the point of remaking Silent Hill 1.

I miss the alley too. Maybe/hopefully it appears later in the game?

stuminus3

I Push Fat Kids said:
I miss the alley too. Maybe/hopefully it appears later in the game?
Maybe it'll be like that other remake, where you run past thinking it's gonna happen, and nothing happens, then you run past again, and the whole freaking alley jumps through a window at you.

Mark D

Total fucking surprise. I'd basically given up on Silent Hill games but this is going to draw me back in.

pakkit

Banned
Nintendo definitely should have shown this at the conference. It looks awesome. I'm unsure of the fleeing mechanic. It could get repetitive quick, and leading you with "blue tint" kind of removes some of the fear. We'll see, it's got tons of promise. I also seem to be one of the few that really likes the character models and doesn't mind the redesigns.

And they are already repeating their Origins mistake of using music 95% of the time. Does Yamaoka compose too many tracks for them? If you want to do a horror game, don't be afraid to use silence.

The menu looks slick and easy to use, but I still can't get over the fact they could have created an original story instead of tinkering with a great game.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Maggot9 said:
Harry Mason doesn't live on Levin Street! what the fuck are they doing to this series?!
He's another Harry Mason. One suffering from an apparent memory loss, since - if I'm not mistaken - he doesn't remember living in Silent Hill.
Stop considering it a remake, it's more like a "how would the original Silent Hill be if it was made today for the first time?". Nothing in the series canon applies here.

NewLib

Banned
Jocchan said:
He's another Harry Mason. One suffering from an apparent memory loss, since - if I'm not mistaken - he doesn't remember living in Silent Hill.
Stop considering it a remake, it's more like a "how would the original Silent Hill be if it was made today for the first time?". Nothing in the series canon applies here.

So is Leonard Nimoy going to play Harry Mason Prime?

Arde5643

Prime Blue said:
And they are already repeating their Origins mistake of using music 95% of the time. Does Yamaoka compose too many tracks for them? If you want to do a horror game, don't be afraid to use silence.

The menu looks slick and easy to use, but I still can't get over the fact they could have created an original story instead of tinkering with a great game.
The continuous use of music is definitely the most bugging thing about the demo - hopefully they'll fix this.

Holy fucking shit.

I never got into the series, but fuck me if I don't want this game now. Actually, I have SH2 and Homecoming...maybe it's time I stop being a pussy and play 'em :p

Seriously, at the end--that was some creepy/tense stuff! Awesome.

Maggot9

Banned
Jocchan said:
funny joke isn't funny

NewLib

Banned
While I would have rather had an original story, that walkthrough looked like the way Silent Hill: Homecoming should have played.

The games shown for Wii the last few weeks mean I am going to have to buy a friend for my 360.

CTLance

Very nice.

No way in hell am I going to play this at night. Brrrr. The blue doors/frames are too obvious, maybe they could use sound clues instead? The PDA seems to be awesome.

Kevtones

Those little dudes at the end started to creep me out. The 'look behind' feature is going to make me shit myself.

Cosmozone

Oh, yes.

Great sense of exploration and creepiness. That's my Silent Hill how I like it. One of the most exciting games of E3. I hope it doesn't turn out too linear (and you can turn the blue clues off).

I was thinking about picking up another Wii for No More Heroes 2, and if so, I'll hold off on the PS2 and PSP versions of this. It looks pretty cool, though.

what the hell is wrong with IGN's player.

Pressing pause does nothing, moving the time marker makes it pause and never start up again.

Do I need to upgrade Flash or is everyone having these problems?

Shame we can't hear the wiimote speaker in these vids.

Maggot9 said:

From what I've read, that's still true. His licence says he lives there, but he seems a bit confused about the whole thing.

Edit:
Wow, seen the whole thing now, this looks fantastic. I thought the recent trailer made it look a bit shit, it looks so much better when you see everything in the right context.

Barakov

Really liked what I saw. Still doesn't look as good as the PS2 Silent Hills but looks good enough. Still not entirely sold on the no combat idea. As long as they don't have you solving puzzles while those guys are jumping on your back it shouldn't be a problem.

Erebus

Either my eyes are doing funny things or the frame rate has some serious issues in that game. Graphics nitpicking aside, I'm still not convinced about SM.

It seems that the developers took way too many liberties this time and strayed from the previous games and the SH formula. Hell, if people thought that Homecoming and 0rigins weren't true SH games, I don't know what SM is.

Barakov said:
Really liked what I saw. Still doesn't look as good as the PS2 Silent Hills but looks good enough. Still not entirely sold on the no combat idea. As long as they don't have you solving puzzles while those guys are jumping on your back it shouldn't be a problem.

I get the impression that's exactly what they're going to do. It's what they should do IMO.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
So how does this compare with the PS2 versions graphically? People were harsh bashing this earlier. Were they justified?

I hate these walkthroughs. I mean i'm glad for the media, but I hate going into a game having seen things beforehand, which means I largely have to skip these, or cut them way short.

Game looks amazing though. I haven't seen any enemy encounters (which will make or break the experience) but already I like the tight behind the controller view and the "no weapons" concept.

Without blowing it for me:

did anybody see any scares? If so, how were they?

Erebus

BorkBork said:
So how does this compare with the PS2 versions graphically? People were harsh bashing this earlier. Were they justified?

It's decent but not on par with SH3 in my opinion.

Top Bottom