• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories E3 Walk-through

big_z

silent-hill.jpg

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Team Silent made a pact with the
Red
Devil to make SH3 look so gorgeous.
That's why they disappeared into oblivion after SH4 (which didn't look nowhere as good).

Erebus

RocketDarkness said:
That's the point, I believe.

I know this is supposed to be a "re-imagined" version of the original, thus my problem isn't the change in story direction and character development etc etch but in the way that gameplay works. It feels like a totally different game that happens to take a few cues from the SH universe.

DarkUSS said:
I know this is supposed to be a "re-imagined" version of the original, thus my problem isn't the change in story direction and character development etc etch but in the way that gameplay works. It feels like a totally different game that happens to take a few cues from the SH universe.
I don't really see a problem with that. Silent Hill's combat has been laughable. You've still got plenty of wandering round exploring stuff, with a new mechanic to replace the boring fight stuff.

NewLib

Banned
DarkUSS said:

I like the change. Looked, they had to update the controls. While I love Silent Hill 1-3 (4's story is good but the game is pretty bad), the controls were awful. Im sure later on in the game you will get weapons, but you are suppose to be running. That was one of my biggest gripes about Homecoming. Silent Hill has always been about killing when I had to but running most of the time. This seems to make that more fluid.

Edit: Also the hallway scene where all those creatures are appearing in the windows looked creppy as hell. I also liked how they took some elements from Fatal Frame.

Arde5643

DeaconKnowledge said:
I hate these walkthroughs. I mean i'm glad for the media, but I hate going into a game having seen things beforehand, which means I largely have to skip these, or cut them way short.

Game looks amazing though. I haven't seen any enemy encounters (which will make or break the experience) but already I like the tight behind the controller view and the "no weapons" concept.

Without blowing it for me:

did anybody see any scares? If so, how were they?
Check the 3rd part of the walk-through - it will give you a very good idea of how the chase gameplay works.

And yeah, it's definitely looking scary right now.

Branskins

DeaconKnowledge said:
did anybody see any scares? If so, how were they?

Nothing really made me jump. I may have flinched once. But what is amazing is how creepy it is! From the transformation to the noises, it has a very creepy atmosphere. That is probably the worst part about it! Constantly worrying about will happen next will make this game amazing!

This will be my first Silent Hill experience :)

le.phat

most creepy setting since SH2
psychologic profiling
the excellent use of the soundtrack / ambiance
harry's voice work

Hate
New Harry model
overall ugly graphics

random wtfs
the only dynamic lightsource seems to be the flashlight. When harry runs through the streets in the first movie, none of the laterns or neon lights seem to light the enviroment.

kinggroin

Banned
This, without the crazy monsters, is what I thought Alan Wake would've been like...

Anyway, yay for Silent Hill. Day one and all that.

Jenga

Banned
As a Silent hill fan, I'm cautiously optimistic for this.

And hell if anything, even if it sucks, new Yamaoka music is always good news :D

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
This looks pretty awesome, isn't this game coming to PSP and PS2 too? I wonder how it's going to control/work considering you won't have an independent way to shine the light...

Yeah... I don't think I'll be playing this. Having those things chase me is going to give me a heart attack.
Eteric Rice said:
Introducing Wii Vitality sensor, for just such an occasion! :lol
As your heart beat increases, so does their speed. D:

Eteric Rice

ninj4junpei said:
Yeah... I don't think I'll be playing this. Having those things chase me is going to give me a heart attack.

Introducing Wii Vitality sensor, for just such an occasion! :lol

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Don't like the grainy look of it. But other than that it looks really cool.

The Wii version is definitely the definitive version. The calls play through the Wiimote speaker (that's why you couldn't hear them in the video) and I'm sure the controls will be the best, and hopefully the graphics. :p

Still not 100% sold but much more optimistic than after that crappy trailer they released.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Miyamoto: NSMB Wii is so overpowered for the Wii we couldn't implement online feature for the game :(
Silent Hill: Wat?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
NetMapel said:
Miyamoto: NSMB Wii is so overpowered for the Wii we couldn't implement online feature for the game :(
Silent Hill: Wat?

i don't get this. is your argument that this game is taxing the wii? because it's a ps2/psp/wii game, so that probably doesn't bode well

Wow, looks really, really good. I'm a big fan of the original, and I think the new direction is a definite plus. After SH3, I felt that the whole "rusty hell otherworld" was played out, and this new frozen theme is really a kick to the balls. I'm not entirely sold on the lack of combat, but I embrace the idea and the trailer makes it look frantic, although maybe a little disjointed. Anticipation +

Fantastical

Death Prophet
skinnyrattler said:
Which trailer was that from? The first?
I think it's the second. It's when he takes out his phone it zooms in on his face from behind. :lol

It's a split second thing and hard to see.

markatisu

WOOOOOW this looks great, having just played the original a few weeks ago this looks like a quality reimagining.

Videos 2 and 3 sold me, the running away and trying to throw enemies off you reminds me of how RE used to be when you ran out of ammo.

Survival Horror needs a shot in the arm since RE seems to have abandoned the concept lately

I'm having a hard time conceptualizing how this game will work on the PS2 and PSP. What with all the zooming and arm movement controlled by the Wiimote.

Hmm.

Arde5643

TheChillyAcademic said:
I'm having a hard time conceptualizing how this game will work on the PS2 and PSP. What with all the zooming and arm movement controlled by the Wiimote.

Hmm.
It will probably work like a third person camera and Harry will just point the flashlight in the same position (directly in front of him).

But yeah, I'm glad to see that the PS2 and PSP games are downports of the Wii game.

Tim-E

This game looks really fucking nerve-wracking. :lol I'm going to have 10 heart attacks playing it and it will be fantastic.

Wow. This looked phenomenal. I can't believe over how immersive it felt. I hope it keeps tht feeling up until the late game.

Please don't screw this up.

Erebus

NewLib said:
I like the change. Looked, they had to update the controls. While I love Silent Hill 1-3 (4's story is good but the game is pretty bad), the controls were awful. Im sure later on in the game you will get weapons, but you are suppose to be running. That was one of my biggest gripes about Homecoming. Silent Hill has always been about killing when I had to but running most of the time. This seems to make that more fluid.

Edit: Also the hallway scene where all those creatures are appearing in the windows looked creppy as hell. I also liked how they took some elements from Fatal Frame.

I'll have this on my watchlist. I just hope they don't mess it up in the end.

LaneDS

Definitely looks cool, although I think some of the stuff is a bit out of place (like your magic not-iPhone that has Fatal Frame abilities).

I'm going to take a guess and say that in the end a mixture of fight or flight would have worked better for the game. The idea that everytime you encounter an enemy you're going to have to book it seems like it'll get old quickly, it'd be nice if you could manage to take down one enemy by itself in a close fight every now and then. But who knows, I'm sure it's not something they decided to do without a lot of thought, so hopefully it turns out to work just fine.

Overall, very cool and the walkthrough finally convinced me it'll be worth checking out.

So, I've been kind of purposely avoiding news on this title for some time now; is it true that combat is gone altogether? Have they said that? You don't fight.. anything? I mean our new bespectacled Harry does look a bit wimpy, but NO combat? I really enjoyed the running mechanic in this trailer, but I have to admit a total lack of combat would really detract from a survival horror game.

Now I will gladly accept a game in which combat is to be avoided if at all possible, I encourage this wholeheartedly, and it flies perfectly in the face of the "action" survival horrors of current years.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If the game's quality, from start to finish, is on par with how it looked in the IGN walkthrough, it will probably be my game of the year.

Very, very impressed. To me this is an absolute prime example of top tier all-out third party support. It's a game to be excited about.

markatisu

theinfinityissue said:
So, I've been kind of purposely avoiding news on this title for some time now; is it true that combat is gone altogether? Have they said that? You don't fight.. anything? I mean our new bespectacled Harry does look a bit wimpy, but NO combat? I really enjoyed the running mechanic in this trailer, but I have to admit a total lack of combat would really detract from a survival horror game.

I think its just devoid of gunplay, I thought one of the interviews it said Harry can use items for "combat" (knocking a bookcase down, using a flare, throwing a garbage can, etc).

Just not combat in the traditional sense of I have a gun so I am going to kill the enemy

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
EatChildren said:
If the game's quality, from start to finish, is on par with how it looked in the IGN walkthrough, it will probably be my game of the year.
It already is, to me.

Okay, going on media blackout on this.
It will be hard.

Jocchan said:
It already is, to me.

Okay, going on media blackout on this.
It will be hard.
Right there with you. I didnt even watch all of this footage...I just skipped around to see how it ran, and what enemy encounters would look like. Im done now.

J-Rock

Banned
I love what I see. The flashlight control looks so damn good with that lighting and the gameplay looks awesome too. I can't wait to play it.

GDGF

Soothsayer
This looks amazing. The running around knocking over things as demons chase you is far more intense than a gun battle IMO. It really looks great.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
As a big fan of horror games and the Silent Hill series (well, the good ones anyway), I'm not entirely convinced by this. Some parts just didn't make sense to me, and while you could claim this is just how Silent Hill is, I found it a bit cheap myself. Like when he sees a poster with "911" on it, he says something like "it's no use, the phone is dead". How would he even know that?
And when he unlocks a certain door, he goes "Cheryl" for no reason at all (from what I could understand, at least).
Or when he calls 911 through his cellphone, it SEEMS like he has a normal conversation, but he just keeps saying his daughter is missing, and then goes "shit" after they hang up, so was it just his social incompentence that stopped him from reporting his daughter missing, or what? :p
Also, I found it strange how the sound from outside just stopped when he entered a door. But yeah, maybe this is all explained with "it's Silent Hill, things are fucked up etc". Making horror games is convenient, I guess.
And I absolutely agree about the music: less music, more atmospheric sounds.

But I still liked the atmosphere and how the graphical interface is a part of the game world. I also thought the wii-specific puzzles were cool. The game wasn't really scary in the walkthrough (but then, I rarely get scared by games nowadays), but it showed some potential that it might be later on. Oh, and no loading screens between rooms, which is awesome.

The part where you are chased leaves me with questions though...are you only chased at specific locations of the game, until you reach a 'safe' area (ie, whenever you enter specific areas there's a risk you'll be attacked, kind of like in Fatal Frame)? Because I can't imagine them chasing you everywhere, that would ruin the whole game for me. Also, since the game needs to be designed around the fact that you can escape and run if you're chased, and I wouldn't want them to compromise the room design to make that possible for every part of the game. I did like how you could knock things over to stop the enemies when running though.

The game shows promise for sure, much more than Silent Hill Homecoming ever did (whatever that means), and it could turn out to be the best Silent Hill game in years. And for me, this is the most exciting third-party game for Wii (still not sure if I'll play it on Wii or PSP though... but the Wii puzzles looked neat, I wonder how they'll handle those on PS2/PSP).

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Kiriku said:
As a big fan of horror games and the Silent Hill series (well, the good ones anyway), I'm not entirely convinced by this. Some parts just didn't make sense to me, and while you could claim this is just how Silent Hill is, I found it a bit cheap myself. Like when he sees a poster with "911" on it, he says something like "it's no use, the phone is dead". How would he even know that?
And when he unlocks a certain door, he goes "Cheryl" for no reason at all (from what I could understand, at least).
Or when he calls 911 through his cellphone, it SEEMS like he has a normal conversation, but he just keeps saying his daughter is missing, and then goes "shit" after they hang up, so was it just his social incompentence that stopped him from reporting his daughter missing, or what? :p
Also, I found it strange how the sound from outside just stopped when he entered a door. But yeah, maybe this is all explained with "it's Silent Hill, things are fucked up etc". Making horror games is convenient, I guess.
And I absolutely agree about the music: less music, more atmospheric sounds.
IGN's video was lacking the audio coming out from the remote speaker (basically any kind of sound coming from Harry's phone, be it voice or static like the radio in previous games).

I'm not seeing the AMAZING some of you seem to see in this walkthrough (have watched it 3 times now) but I will conceit that the atmosphere is there. I tend to disagree about it being scarier running away then it is actually fighting the "monsters." Running away from (generic example) unstoppable enemies like SH4's Ghosts or SH2's PH is one thing, but running away from nearly all enemies? It took away from the immersion for me. The "Ice" Otherworld certainly is an interesting take (Divine Comedy allusions notwithstanding) but I'll need to see more of it before I'm convinced of its effectiveness as setting versus the original otherworld.

MWCShay

TheChillyAcademic said:
I'm not seeing the AMAZING some of you seem to see in this walkthrough (have watched it 3 times now) but I will conceit that the atmosphere is there. I tend to disagree about it being scarier running away then it is actually fighting the "monsters." Running away from (generic example) unstoppable enemies like SH4's Ghosts or SH2's PH is one thing, but running away from nearly all enemies? It took away from the immersion for me. The "Ice" Otherworld certainly is an interesting take (Divine Comedy allusions notwithstanding) but I'll need to see more of it before I'm convinced of its effectiveness as setting versus the original otherworld.

I was just looking at youtube videos of SH3(never played it and everyone keeps touting its graphics) and the monsters on that thing are a joke. There is no suspense and when she does kill one it just looks beyond pathetic. I've seen you in all the SH threads so clearly your a real fan of the series and probably don't want it to change. But you have to admit this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfmAXyzLw3A&fmt=18 looks pathetic.

This E3 walkthrough literally takes a steaming pile on top of this SH3 walkthrough.

soultron

Banned
I might actually have to get a Wii now. For a more casual SH fan like me (SH: HC was tight, yo!) this looks great. I have no "SH2>SH3>SH>SH4>>>>SH: SM" nitpicks about this game.

I loved the iced-over transition. The ice effects and everything just looked really good, seeing as how it's the Wii. I laughed when I saw the car suspended in the ice during P3 of the walk through.

Cosmozone

Prime Blue said:
Then again, all YouTube videos with overamplified sound and less than 10fps look pathetic.
SH3's problem with sound is also that monsters come with background noise depending on the type. You always think, there must be some machine nearby. And it kills the radio and the real sounds coming from the monsters.

Yeah I just posted this to bump the thread. People need to get more excited about this. :(

Top Bottom