• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories E3 Walk-through

Mar

After reading the impressions in this thread, my heart sunk at the thought of buying another Wii (I just sold my last one).

Thankfully, or unfortunately, the trailer nor the walkthrough did anything for me. So my money is safe. Unfortunately because I really would like to love a Silent Hill game again. I'm a long time hardcore fan.

Mar_ said:
After reading the impressions in this thread, my heart sunk at the thought of buying another Wii (I just sold my last one).

Thankfully, or unfortunately, the trailer nor the walkthrough did anything for me. So my money is safe. Unfortunately because I really would like to love a Silent Hill game again. I'm a long time hardcore fan.

Dude if you've still got a PS2 kicking around, go to town. Although strangely we've seen next to no media for that version.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
pakkit said:
They're trying apparently.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/992/992000p2.html

:lol :lol Oh, Matt.
:lol :lol :lol

TheChillyAcademic said:
Don't be ridiculous. Firstly, we havent been told nearly ANYTHING about the other versions, your guess is as good as an earthworm's. Secondly, I never said I wouldn't buy it on the Wii :D
disappeared said:
Dude if you've still got a PS2 kicking around, go to town. Although strangely we've seen next to no media for that version.
There's some media floating around about the PSP version (made by a different team, maybe the same as the PS2 SKU): http://psp.ign.com/dor/objects/14325473/silent-hill/videos/e3_silenthill_psp.html
Looks much worse, honestly.

RocketDarkness said:
The last thing we need is another simple remake. It's bad enough in Hollywood, and we've already seen a fair bit of it here in the gaming industry. Screw that shit. This reimagining is terribly atmospheric, and the chase scenes will get your adrenaline going.
To be honest, before we started getting any information about this game I would also have preferred a straight remake, with better graphics, IR aiming and that's it, for them not to mess with my memories of (probably) my favourite PS1 game.
Then info about profiling and the game changing to fit your character started popping in, and this made me excited because of the whole world of possibilities it opened.
Now I'm simply trusting the team: every piece of information we get seems better and better, they seem to know what they're doing and my purchase is already decided.
And this is coming from someone who bitched for months when we got the news of The Collective making SH5. I'm still so glad they ended up dropping the number and went for some spinoff-like title for Homecoming.

RobertM said:
The Otherworld looks terrible, was ice and constant running supposed to scare the shit out of me? Just remake the first Silent Hill with better graphics and don't touch a single thing beyond that, and I'll buy the game day one. hoping for a PS3 version with waggle...
Haven't really looked into PS3 waggle yet, but how would that control? Or do the glow sticks have an analogue stick and enough buttons?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
There's some media floating around about the PSP version (made by a different team, maybe the same as the PS2 SKU): http://psp.ign.com/dor/objects/14325...thill_psp.html
Looks much worse, honestly.
Well, yeah, of course it looks worse. The PSP isn't even as powerful as the PS2 let alone the Wii. It looks very impressive for a handheld, though.

What would be cool is if the Sony versions were actually different to the point that it becomes worth playing both. :D

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
In all honesty, im not knocking the PS2, I suppose this is more of a commentary of the game design itself, but this may end up being really boring on the other consoles.

It's like... Fragile without the combat. Its slow and nothing really happens for long stretches, you're just wandering around immersing yourself in a cool looking environment and checking out the awesome flashlight control. Then you poke around in the environment with he IR and move things with the motion. It's exploration with really cool atmosphere and pin-point lighting effects on the fly. That's really the appeal.

I suppose running for your life would be the same in any version, so no change. But aside from that aspect, you'll probably be bored as it doesn't happen constantly

PSP version obviously looks worse, but it's pretty faithful.

silent-hill-shattered-memories-20090528114741813.jpg

silent-hill-shattered-memories-20090602051151204.jpg

silent-hill-shattered-memories-20090602010807501.jpg

silent-hill-shattered-memories-20090602051147486.jpg

silent-hill-shattered-memories-20090409004427249.jpg

silent-hill-shattered-memories-20090602051149236.jpg

RobertM said:
The Otherworld looks terrible, was ice and constant running supposed to scare the shit out of me? Just remake the first Silent Hill with better graphics and don't touch a single thing beyond that, and I'll buy the game day one.
hoping for a PS3 version with waggle...

I wouldn't say it looks terrible, from the little we've seen I impressed that they're able get across the same sort of singular terror that the other Otherworld gives. That being said, the Otherworlds of the other titles (the good ones at least) had both subtle connections to the protagonist and the mythos of the town itself. The ice gives a sense of desolation and loneliness, similar I imagine to the feeling of walking over a glacier, cold and alone and silent. I'm sure the ice/snow somehow relates to the plot overall, we've just yet to see what that connection is...or if its any good.

EmCeeGramr said:
PSP version obviously looks worse, but it's pretty faithful.

Looks great for a handheld -.-

JDSN

Banned
Moreover, you'll return to the psychologist's office throughout the game for more and deeper tests. Barlow stayed light on specifics, but indicated they would take a more advanced tone than the questionnaire, such as Rorschach-like tests. Barlow and game director Mark Simmons brought in composer Akira Yamaoka and University of England psychologists to consult on the game, and actually went into therapy themselves as part of the research process.

That would make an awesome "Making-off", tho im sure people would bitch about it going against the feeling that a Silent Hill Dvd should have.

Also,
Flash-forwards confirmed.

Cosmozone

The new trailer is very nice. Good drama at the beginning when Harry banged at the door. Considering media blackout now after that new information. Want to explore the town myself.

AniHawk

Not sure if this was mentioned in the walkthroughs, or if it's part of Silent Hill, but you have to hold A down to open doors. Simply pressing A opens them a crack and allows you to see into the next room. I really loved the demo, but I'm sure the full game will give me nightmares for years.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
AniHawk said:
Not sure if this was mentioned in the walkthroughs, or if it's part of Silent Hill, but you have to hold A down to open doors. Simply pressing A opens them a crack and allows you to see into the next room. I really loved the demo, but I'm sure the full game will give me nightmares for years.
Was it a bad thing? Did it feel bad or something? Did you try hitting A twice like in Resident Evil 4?

AniHawk

Fantastical said:
Was it a bad thing? Did it feel bad or something? Did you try hitting A twice like in Resident Evil 4?

Well it was a little difficult to get used to, because every game I've played always has you press A to open the door. It's not like RE's where a light tap means opening it a crack and really holding down means he knocks the door off the fucking hinges. I think it adds to the suspense.

jett

D-Member
I guess I'll give the PS2 version a try. A SH game without the worst thing about the series(the combat) could be interesting. Then again this isn't being made by the original team...

AniHawk

jett said:
I guess I'll give the PS2 version a try. A SH game without the worst thing about the series(the combat) could be interesting. Then again this isn't being made by the original team...

What happened to the original team? They haven't been involved in the last three games, right?

AniHawk said:
What happened to the original team? They haven't been involved in the last three games, right?

The "original team" worked on SH1-4 (meaning, as I understand it, some people worked on all four games, though the team lineup changed somewhat along the way) but has since been disbanded, the individual members moving on to work on different projects. Everything after 4 was outsourced to other developers.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong about that, please.

jett said:

No, but Climax seems to be pretty good, Especially on the Wii.
Have you seen Overlord? Freaking awesome.

Taurus

GrimReaper said:
The walk-through did not scared me at all, but that scene where Harry is hiding in a closet, wow.
How about that scene right after the chase and you'd be using Wii Vitality Sensor? Keep your excitement and heartbeat low so the monsters won't find you etc.

Or maybe they need to build a horror game from the ground supporting the sensor to make it more than just a gimmick. There was some PS2 horror game where you controlled different characters avoiding monsters. Was it Forbidden Siren or something like that?

Anyway, I really like how this Silent Hill game is turning out. I was a huge fan of SH 1 and 2 although I was too afraid to play them alone. :lol

It does looks kinda awesome, Wiimote-flashlight will give me headaches but maybe I'll get over it. Maybe I'll get over the "zomg you can't do that to SH1"-feeling too.

So is this no-combat or "as little as possible"-combat? Avoiding ghosts almost ruined SH4 already and wouldn't want it to happen to SM

PetriP-TNT said:
So is this no-combat or "as little as possible"-combat? Avoiding ghosts almost ruined SH4 already and wouldn't want it to happen to SM

It seems like the combat in the SH games is suddenly universally regarded as the worst part of the series, which I don't agree with. The idea of a SH game where you never fight back is a little strange.

Night_Trekker said:
It seems like the combat in the SH games is suddenly universally regarded as the worst part of the series, which I don't agree with. The idea of a SH game where you never fight back is a little strange.
I love the combat in SH1-3, it has some weight to it and still you can bash away some enemies with iron pipe with ease... or just run away if you feel like it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
like everyone has said, the most tedious part of any survival horror game, the combat, being absent, and the focus on the best part of any survival horror game, the atmosphere and puzzle-solving, makes this a must-buy for me. The trailer and E3 walkthrough look fantastic. Thanks for catalyzing me to finally watch a video or two of this, Neiteio. :D

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So, apparently its only 6 - 8 hours long.

I don't recall, but how long was the original Silent Hill?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
EatChildren said:
So, apparently its only 6 - 8 hours long.

I don't recall, but how long was the original Silent Hill?
About the same, maybe a bit shorter.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Jocchan said:
About the same, maybe a bit shorter.

Cool. I hope the replay value is solid. Though I always bitch about a game's length before I play it, then not give a shit when I actually do it.

Also, does anybody know what song that is in the E3 trailer? The one with the woman's vocals. Is it an original composition or something else?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
EatChildren said:
Also, does anybody know what song that is in the E3 trailer? The one with the woman's vocals. Is it an original composition or something else?
What trailer? "Where's Cheryl"? It's from the game OST.
Silent Hill music/audio compartment in general has always been excellent, Yamaoka is a deity.

sullytao

Gah I knew this would happen. The second I sold my Wii games that I want start cropping up here there and everywhere *cries.

I suppose I'll be spending most of next year sniffing round second hand places. Unless Konami decide to port this game to 360 when Natal is released.

Wollan

sullytao said:
Unless Konami decide to port this game to 360 when Natal is released.
I don't see how you would be able to play it.

The demo and trailer are really cool. In some areas it's not as polished as the PS2 outings (walking animation, characters aren't nearly as realistic) but it does bring a good amount of fresh new ideas to the series which is very welcome. I have no problem with this being a wildly different take on the original story, it's not like the impact or memories of the original will go away. I'm very likely to pick this up.

Spoo

Wollan said:
I have no problem with this being a wildly different take on the original story, it's not like the impact or memories of the original will go away. I'm very likely to pick this up.

In before "no they will be shattered" joke :lol

Barakov

sullytao said:
Gah I knew this would happen. The second I sold my Wii games that I want start cropping up here there and everywhere *cries.

I suppose I'll be spending most of next year sniffing round second hand places. Unless Konami decide to port this game to 360 when Natal is released.

Or when Sony gets around to releasing their space ice cream cones.

sullytao

Wollan said:
I don't see how you would be able to play it.

The demo and trailer are really cool. In some areas it's not as polished as the PS2 outings (walking animation, characters aren't nearly as realistic) but it does bring a good amount of fresh new ideas to the series which is very welcome. I have no problem with this being a wildly different take on the original story, it's not like the impact or memories of the original will go away. I'm very likely to pick this up.

I still have a feeling that Natal will have a way of playing in 3rd and 1st person games. I cant see MS leaving there main genres out of the new experience.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Disappointed in the graphics.

Also no alley is a major thumbs down, even if its an alternative version.

Wired

sullytao said:
I still have a feeling that Natal will have a way of playing in 3rd and 1st person games. I cant see MS leaving there main genres out of the new experience.

Sure, as long as you're using a controller. There's no way Natal, by itself, is usable for 1st or 3rd person games. At least not in any way that would be considered non-shitty.

CiSTM

Banned
Looks really great ! The "dark world" or what ever it was called in the orginal games is tad disappointing. It isn't as disturbing it was in the other games. Still game looks great.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Also it wasnt silent enough. Music rarely adds anything over silence and ambient noise.

Top Bottom