• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories E3 Walk-through

MWCShay

Prime Blue said:
Then again, all YouTube videos with overamplified sound and less than 10fps look pathetic.

It's choppy as hell but you can tell how slow the gameplay is in it. There is something that looks like a Tbone Steak walking around in that mall. She just goes right by it and nothing happens.

She kills a monster right at the beginning of the video with a gun. Does that little thing seriously scare anyone?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
My 4th pick in the top 10 thread is justified. :D

Game looks great, makes me laugh at all the people bitching over the last batch of screenshots. :lol

Neiteio

Whooooooa!

Galaxy what? Other M what? This -- THIS looks amazing!

Had no idea this would look so good. I have a tendency to automatically dismiss every game on Wii that follows the 3rd Party Franchise + Subtitle formula (see, RE: Umbrella Chronicles, et al), but this looks like the best in the series.

To think I've been waiting all this time for another great survival-horror game to pop up on my PS3. Who would've thought Wii would get such an incredibly promising horror game?

This looks amazing. Everyone draw attention to Silent Hill Wii! The snow sends chills through me, the flashlight and iPhone add just enough warmth in the darkness, the voice acting and modeling and noise filter, all top-notch. Simply perfect. :D

I think it looks fantastic. Visually it looks solid (though I'd agree it falls short of the Silent Hill 3 but then how many PS2 tech level games have surpassed it?), the atmosphere is there and the focus on using ice as a factor for the otherworld is a nice change of pace from the standard rust and metal setting we've been up to ears with thus far with the series.

I love the focus on exploration in the walkthrough and I hope the final game allows more freeform exploration with a good bit of commentray by Harry. I'd love a great focus on puzzles and if the Wiimote integration is as well implemented throughout the entirety of the adventure as it was in the walkthrough - I think I'm going to end up an extremely happy camper.

Oh and screw the haters, the nightmare sequence looked great. I agree that the path is a bit obvious and I hope they really push towards something more subtle but I love the fact that focus is moved towards evasion and escape rather than the typical genre expectation of a game like this NEEDING combat. Good on them and a decision I've agreed with from the moment the game was announced.

My one biggest complaint about the walkthrough is that the music transitions really suck right now. There's a really abrupt "stop and go" quality to it that I hope they work on and correct for the final release. Yamaoka's music is so very important to this series and I would absolutely hate to see it butchered in the final game.

I'm getting that wonderful little tingle "down there" I can only get when I see something really exciting being done with the series. I first experienced it when I walked through that first alley in Silent Hill and the camera swung around in a fashion I'd never seen in a videogame before. I felt it for nearly 8 hours as I played through and discovered James' secret in the second game. I felt it when I stabbed my first ghost into the floor in Silent Hill 4 and when Heather set out to make Claudia pay for the death of her father. I've been missing it ever since. Sure Origins and Homecoming had a little bit of the magic but both games felt like an amateur dancer trying to mimic the moves of a seasoned professional. Almost, but no cigar. This game feels/looks like a whole new dance and god damn am I ready to boogie.:D

Arde5643

An awesome chase/nightmare scenario they can do is :

1) Say you need to go into a nightmare sequence but you have to solve puzzles/explore while you're in there. Since you have enemies, obviously you cannot do this.

2) So then later on you obtained a holy relict/weapon/object that the enemies are scared off - they run away from you when you swat at them with this item so that you can safely explore the nightmare area.

3) So this enables you to safely explore the nightmare areas further in until at one point you perhaps activated an event (ruined a seal/released unholy evil/etc)

4) Of course you don't know about this and as you continue to explore the area further in, the atmosphere gets even bleaker and the static/heartbeat pumps up louder.

5) So you meet a shadowy object which you then swing your holy relic to scare it away like you did with the other enemies. The relic struck the shade, but instead of it running away, it grows larger and the shadow disappears leaving behind a mammoth/hellish creature growling and screaming at you.

6) As he screams at you, you're flown back a few meters and the music suddenly goes nuts/haywire and you run away.

7) By now, the areas have changed and you're no longer in the same area as before. As you run, you can hear sounds of the massive beast's heavy breathing as it charges down the door plus the creatures that usually are after you without your protection are running scared from the hellish beast charging at you.

8) When you finally escaped, instead of the door just shutting down as usual, you can see the beast trying to break through the door by ramming and banging the door with all its might. However, once the frozen effect withers away, the banged up door goes back to a normal looking door and the beast disappears.

Additional things: perhaps once you try to go to the nightmare area again, you can see the door is banged up when the area is frozen again.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Holy crap at that third video. My adrenaline was actually pumping. The way they have degenerating health and the music for the chase work really, really well.

MWCShay said:
She kills a monster right at the beginning of the video with a gun. Does that little thing seriously scare anyone?
No, because battles with normal monsters were not meant to "scare" you in the first four games. Back then, you killed the creatures and that was when the horror started in the first place: Complete silence in the room, what will happen around the next corner? The fear of sounds. It was much more an audial than a visual experience because Yamaoka knew how to create a horrific atmosphere with sounds. Now he's reduced to some kind of composing machine, providing a set number of musical tracks for scenario decisions he may not even be okay with.

The new direction are cheap and predictable American-horror-movie-style scares ("Uh! I'll now look at this empty wall to turn my head around seconds later! OH MY GOD, SOMETHING SHOCKING HAPPENED!") and RE4ish escapes from monster terror.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
GitarooMan said:
I saw them playing this on G4 and was pretty impressed. Definitely on my radar for Wii this fall.

I saw me playing it today and I was impressed. At least visually speaking. The show floor is a terrible place for a game like Silent Hill (though a game like Crystal Bearers fares far worse!) I havent gotten to play in private like I have most other, so it wasnt all that exciting of a demo, but she sure looks purdy in motion. I hope you can calibrate the controls better, but even still, its a no-brainer to purchase for me

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Prime Blue said:
No, because battles with normal monsters were not meant to "scare" you in the first four games. Back then, you killed the creatures and that was when the horror started in the first place: Complete silence in the room, what will happen around the next corner? The fear of sounds. It was much more an audial than a visual experience because Yamaoka knew how to create a horrific atmosphere with sounds. Now he's reduced to some kind of composing machine, providing a set number of musical tracks for scenario decisions he may not even be okay with.

The new direction are cheap and predictable American-horror-movie-style scares ("Uh! I'll now look at this empty wall to turn my head around seconds later! OH MY GOD, SOMETHING SHOCKING HAPPENED!") and RE4ish escapes from monster terror.
That's the first part of the game where you come across a monster and it introduces you to them via a cutscene. I'm betting this won't happen everytime you encounter a monster. You shouldn't focus on cutscenes when trying to make your point because you compare it the other Silent Hill games in parts that aren't cutscenes.

I've never played a Silent Hill game, unfortunately, but I plan to get into the third when I get a PS2 again this summer. I won't try to sound like an expert on this but it doesn't sound like you are giving it a fair chance.

And how many times do you escape from enemies in RE4?

MWCShay said:
I was just looking at youtube videos of SH3(never played it and everyone keeps touting its graphics) and the monsters on that thing are a joke. There is no suspense and when she does kill one it just looks beyond pathetic. I've seen you in all the SH threads so clearly your a real fan of the series and probably don't want it to change. But you have to admit this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfmAXyzLw3A&fmt=18 looks pathetic.

This E3 walkthrough literally takes a steaming pile on top of this SH3 walkthrough.

Firstly, attempting to compare an E3 walkthrough to a fan made play through is a little like comparing apples to depleted uranium. Secondly, my love for SH3 has little to nothing to do with its graphics. Silent Hill 3 was a direct sequel to the original SH and as such went the furthest into the mythos behind the town itself. The "monsters" SH3 didn't have a direct and specific relation to Heather's psychosis (most of them didn't), but were a reflection of the fetus inside of her. But that's another thread...

It isn't that I don't want change, I think Shattered Memories gets a great deal right (horrific music changes aside) so far. The walkthrough was moody, maybe atmospheric, but terrifying? Scary? The most interesting aspect of any Silent Hill is discovering the connection the protagonist (and any other "real" characters) have with Silent Hill and the influence they have over the creatures and scenarios in the game. If they can somehow tie this new icey otherworld to the exposition and story, I can see this title having SH potential.

We shall see.

TheChillyAcademic said:
If they can somehow tie this new icey otherworld to the exposition and story, I can see this title having SH potential.

Do you think they didn't consider that? The NP interview and the G4 video show that they know fully well that the hellish Otherworld in the original is part of Alessa's psyche. I'm sure that they're working the icy Otherworld into the story.

EmCeeGramr said:
Do you think they didn't consider that? The NP interview and the G4 video show that they know fully well that the hellish Otherworld in the original is part of Alessa's psyche. I'm sure that they're working the icy Otherworld into the story.

I gave an example of what I'd like to see them do.

Just an example :D

GDGF

Soothsayer
pitt_norton said:
Am I on the wrong forum? A postive Wii game thread?

This looked fantastic! I'm looking forward to shatting myself.

Quite a few of these if you look around.

Mau ®

The "no combat" aspect is the best thing to ever happen to SH. It seems you will be now using the enviroment as your only weapon, as it should be if you ask me.

I used to be a big SH fan but the movie and subsequent games have turned me the opposite direction. More importantly, the fact that Team Silent is no longer behind these games makes me incredibly sad and makes any further entry in the series to be unworthy. I know its a very limited perspective but its just how I see it. Hopefully this changes my mind.

And if this dev team is successful and is given the keys to the kingdom, then hopefully they'll start focusing on new storylines, rather than churning out the same tired cult stuff from the first game.

jgwhiteus

I really like the no combat aspect and the sense of being pursued, having to throw objects behind you, etc. - like a classic horror film - that sense of being trapped and powerless, and desperate to find a way to escape / save yourself. Also liked the little touches like having your vision blur and limping as your health decreases. Just seems very well thought-out.

Graphically there are still a few hiccups (noticed in the G4 video that his hands went through the walls; same with the monsters climbing on top of him), but not really a big deal. Definitely on my watch list.

Just got back from playing this at Konami's booth for a while, with headphones on.

A little background -- I love Silent Hill, but I've been soured on the franchise since 3 and beyond. 3 was okay, 4 was straight-out bad, and I couldn't really get into Homecoming. I've pretty much sworn off being excited by Silent Hill games before knowing the games had changed or not.

That said -- I am damn excited for this one! This is exactly the refreshing direction the series needs to take. The game felt a little "faster" to me -- I was moving through environments a bit faster, and movement was a lot easier than it is in the PS2 games. The pointing with the remote+analog movement is really great. The game also looks really fantastic, with a sort of nostalgic feel to the graphics. Also a great framerate and really nice lighting.

I can't wait to see how the psychological stuff plays out more in the game later... but I could tell from what was going on in the games around me that people were having different experiences. Characters looked different and had different dialogue, and there was a slightly different feel to their experiences. I'm guessing that the Wii version is a bit of a test bed for this kind of stuff and I'm hoping they really push in that direction. Maybe the next game can use the Vitality sensor :lol (seriously though I'm betting a future game will use it in that manner, or some other heartbeat sensor. Makes too much sense).

Anyway, I think Silent Hill fans have plenty to be excited about :D I know I am, after my play session today. Finally the series feels fresh again.

Neiteio

If someone had told me that after witnessing the glory of Mario Galaxy 2, The Last Guardian (that's the new Team Ico game), Metroid Other M and Castlevania: Lord of Shadows, I'd be most excited for Silent Hill... I would've been skeptical, to say the least.

But so far, Silent Hill is my Game of the Show. This walkthrough has everything I wanted out of a survival-horror game. The impressions from people who've played it only cement my anticipation.

This bad boy comes out this year, right?

Davey Cakes

I'm loving the focus on psychological aspects as well as the game having no combat.

Admittedly, I didn't even like Silent Hill 2 that much. Please, don't kill me. But, that said, I'm interested in Shattered Memories for sure.

AniHawk

I was surprised by Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. It's very good. Voice acting is nice, controls work, and the cell phone stuff is well thought out (it reminded me of GTA IV's cell phone feature, except this was better). I stopped playing when the world changed to the ice world because well, I didn't really want to do that. Oh, but the music is so nice. One of the games I was more impressed with at the show.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I'm guessing at the end of the game, they will give you the option to replay with different psychological settings, telling you what you did the first playthrough so you can change it.

billy.sea

Banned
This is the Alan Wake (360) and Heavy Rain (PS3) of the Wii.
Too bad it will not get as many attention as the other 2 because it will not have enough marketing as the other two.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just saw the gametrailers developer walkthrough, wow the game looks so awful, in part because the person playing it can't turn the character to face the damn door ....

and the constant running away mechanic seems like it'll get boring really fast.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
chandoog said:
Just saw the gametrailers developer walkthrough, wow the game looks so awful, in part because the person playing it can't turn the character to face the damn door ....

Do yourself a favour and watch the IGN one.

I'm definitely looking forward to this game. Even as a Silent Hill fan, I admit the series simply needs to change directions a bit. I actually really liked most of Origins (the Theater) and Homecoming (Hell Descent with the amazing red lighting), but it's really time for a shakeup.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
The series has already tried to change, but most people disliked it. Silent Hill 4 did have the same basic concept of running from your enemies. It wasn't really a talked-about feature like in Shattered Memories, but the game definitely pushed you to run, a lot. You could fight, but there are many instances (not just the ghosts) where you simply can't win even if you try.
It's a rough comparison though, because Silent Hill 4 didn't feel designed for running at all, like Shattered Memories. But Silent Hill 4 did a lot of new and refreshing things in my opinion, it just didn't do them well enough, and had a bunch of flaws on top of that. I still love the ideas and concepts they put into it though. With more polish and better design, it would've been what Shattered Memories has a good chance of being now, a refreshing and different take on the whole Silent Hill formula.

chandoog said:

The gametrailers walkthrough made the game look worse, like when he climbs over the wall and his arms go right through it. I also found it funny how he can't open certain doors in a normal fashion, he HAS to tackle his way through it, even though he walked up to the door and stopped in front of it. Thought it looked kind of silly, but I assume it's because he's in a chase sequence and you're supposed to run.
I guess the chase parts are limited to certain areas then? I mean, they have to be. If you're at a locked door with some puzzle trying to figure it out and you suddenly get chased away by enemies five rooms in the opposite direction, you have to run all the way back to the same spot with the locked door, which would become really annoying eventually.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
In before "what did they do to
Dahlia
?".
If you're thinking this, you're missing the point of this game.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
That trailers looks SOOO much better than the first one.

In my opinion, though, they should have made this a whole new game instead of a "reimagining" of the first. You're just asking for trouble, especially when you introduce an ice theme.

I've never played a Silent Hill game, though, so I wouldn't know the difference. :p

DarkUSS said:
I know this is supposed to be a "re-imagined" version of the original, thus my problem isn't the change in story direction and character development etc etch but in the way that gameplay works. It feels like a totally different game that happens to take a few cues from the SH universe.

right. this shouldn't even be a silent hill game. i'd rather them change the names and character names and the name of the town etc. it would probably do better anyway and piss off less SH purists.

it looks good for a horror game, and i want to play it, but im afraid that i will notice too many instances where they totally fucked up any and all silent hill awesomeness and it will bug me or distract me from what this game could have been.

and i don't care what SH combat haters say: running away from monsters FTL.

pakkit

Banned
Didn't people complain a lot about the changes they saw being made to RE4 too, before its release? Change isn't a bad thing, you say purist, I say irrationally clingy to rote gameplay. Let's see how this game pans out before throwing it's unique gameplay elements to the wind.

By the way, that trailer was awesome. I want to see more enemy types, though, mummified baby-things going through seizures don't do much to give me the willies.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
pakkit said:
By the way, that trailer was awesome. I want to see more enemy types, though, mummified baby-things going through seizures don't do much to give me the willies.
I agree. I just want to see more of the game in general. More areas and stuff.

Just got back from an impromptu E3 visit. And holy shit, this game is good.

I played through most of the demo. You've heard a lot of this stuff before, so I'll skip to the stuff I found interesting.

1) In my playthrough, the voicemail about the wedding tape was from the husband, not the wife. He was quite threatening towards the intended recipient.

2) Cybill's conversation seemed exactly the same. She even asked if I had been drinking when I said I didn't drink to relax. She was playing with her gun when I walked in, which was quite unsettling. Not sure if that was in the dev walkthrough.

3) Wow, the chase sequences are intense. Since I had seen the video, I was curious as to how many options were available while escaping. And let me tell you: even in the first chase, the answer is "quite a few". When I hit the first branching path, I went right instead of left. That lead me to ANOTHER two branching paths. I took the right one again (crawling underneath an obstruction), and that led me to a door which took me outside. I hopped a waist-high fence but got killed at that point (I kept accidentally pulling out my phone, which really wore me out. But you can see the monster's locations on it, somehow. ) The game handler told me that you could actually go into the house I was running towards, at which point you had two stories of building to explore.

3) The monsters are indeed very smart. Depending on how they pounce you, you have to shake in a certain direction to throw them off. You can hide in any location with a white glow, but if they see you go in, they won't hesitate to drag you out, as seen in the latest trailer, above. Also seen in the previous trailer, they can grab you when you're climbing or crawling, forcing you to shake them off quickly, lest they prevent your escape.

I'm 100% sold on Shattered Memories. Day 1.

JayDub

This looks..GREAT!

Will this game contain the blood and disturbing imagery from the first game? That body crucified on the fence scared the shit out of me when I first saw it.

Top Bottom