• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories videos from GamesCon

it's amazing that this looks graphically better than Homecoming to me. Maybe I need to play it again or something. Homecoming looked amazing in a few instances... but damn was it ugly in others. @_@

I'm really looking forward to this.
I thought Climax did a great job with Origins other than a few annoyances (breakable weapons, tough enemies + weak Travis, bad camera at times).

Buggy Loop

Looks really good imo, about time some devs show some love for Wii. If only Factor5 had continued with this platform :eek:

~Kinggi~

Banned
TheJollyCorner said:
it's amazing that this looks graphically better than Homecoming to me. Maybe I need to play it again or something. Homecoming looked amazing in a few instances... but damn was it ugly in others. @_@

I'm really looking forward to this.
I thought Climax did a great job with Origins other than a few annoyances (breakable weapons, tough enemies + weak Travis, bad camera at times).
yeah i think you do

jrricky

Banned
The trailer on IGN was amazing. This seems to be the definition of survival horror.

The part where he was hiding in the locker and the thing was standing there just acting stupid, then seconds after another one comes and grabs him out scared the shit out of me and my brother.

I was like wtf was that thing doing out there just standing :lol.

I am largely keeping myself on a blackout for this game. I can say however, this is 1 of 3 games I plan to buy immediately. It looks as though they are keeping to the formula the predecessors did so well. Also, the lack of combat (the heart of any SH game) seems to be exaggerated in this game. It looks to be a win over Homecoming.

~Kinggi~ said:
yeah i think you do

I really dont care too much about graphics in a survival horror game though. Sure grahics bring a TINY element of atmosphere but the majority is build around suspense. With the lack of any weapons in this game it seems to provide this in spades.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
And you're always on
On my mind

The ending part in the new trailer with the cabinet is better and scarier, I think. An interesting thing to note is that I think they're using the same VA/script for certain parts regardless of the path you're on.

This looks very good. I actually really liked Origins and Homecoming, but the way this is headed is very exciting. It's impossible not to talk about those graphics, they're super impressive. They really need to change the phone's ring though.

scitek

Wooooow at that flashlight. It looks fucking phenomenal. High quality texture work can REALLY make the difference in a 480p game, too. Man, this is looking good.

I follow with cautious optimism.

Yahtzee made a fantastic point recently that while Silent Hill: Shattered Memories looks to deliver an amazing amount of atmosphere and thrills, it seems to do so through the somewhat gimmicky nature of the Wii-mote.

Again though, I am looking forward to what it will bring to the series.

Teknoman said:
Now this is how you make a Wii game. Music is nice and creepy as well.

Music was cool, for about 20 seconds. Then it just gets annoying, with the same notes, over and over.

Looks pretty good though. I have some hope for this one :)

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm still butthurt about SH:H, but Origins was fairly decent so lets hope Climax Studios manages to make a solid entry into the series.

Teknoman

TheChillyAcademic said:

Yahtzee made a fantastic point recently that while Silent Hill: Shattered Memories looks to deliver an amazing amount of atmosphere and thrills, it seems to do so through the somewhat gimmicky nature of the Wii-mote.

No complaints here. Play to the system's strengths I say. Voice acting is decent too.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
TheChillyAcademic said:

Whatever you say man. Just lay it on.
And his complaint was that the psych profiling should be unnecessary, not the flashlight.

If you of all people is "following with cautious optimism," then I think it's safe to get truly hyped for it. :D

It only took three minutes of that first IGN playthrough video to convince me. Just the way the flashlight is used there is a lot of potential for scares. I'm stuck with the PS2 version, but I can't wait.

AniHawk

Andrex said:
And his complaint was that the psych profiling should be unnecessary, not the flashlight.

I have to know what he said exactly, because it really sounds like a stupid complaint.

Arde5643

AniHawk said:
I have to know what he said exactly, because it really sounds like a stupid complaint.
Yahtzee likes to make really stupid complaints, but yeah I'm also interested in what actually's wrong or shallow about the
psych profiling

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
AniHawk said:

It was at the end of today's Silent Hill 2 review, where he said he's kind of optimistic for Shattered Memories, but that it shouldn't need quizzes and such to get inside your head as SH2 did just that without them, or something.

Edit- Full quote:

Yahtzee said:
The upcoming Silent Hill: Shattered Memories claims that it will have a psychological test at the start and adjust its content accordingly in order to really get into the player's head.

Interesting, but it's worth remembering Silent Hill 2 managed that without needing such a gimmick with just a doofus, a stick with a nail in it, and bigger lad with trigonometry for a face.

On the other hand, since this is being released on PSP and the PS2, the Wiimote will be of no consequence, technically.

The psyche profiling seems like an interesting feature to be sure.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yahtzee's quote was pretty much that the Psych Profiling to get into the characters head was useless because Silent Hill 2 did that anyway without any Profile. That's pretty close to an exact quote.

Mind you, I disagree with that. The Psych Profile just allows the game to be that much more customized to each gamer.

This game is looking really great, but I kept help but be skeptical about it. My biggest worry is that, while it doesn't have combat, it will still have annoying enemy encounters. The E3 videos made it seem like that.

and the game just looks great too. I appreciate that they have everything really sharp so you can real off the environment without needing a "look/read" prompt.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
TheChillyAcademic said:
On the other hand, since this is being released on PSP and the PS2, the Wiimote will be of no consequence, technically.

The psyche profiling seems like an interesting feature to be sure.

Ah so you were just trying to discredit the Wii version by putting words in someone else's mouth, just so you could justify not playing the lead version to yourself and others.

/psych profiling

The_Technomancer said:
Yahtzee's quote was pretty much that the Psych Profiling to get into the characters head was useless because Silent Hill 2 did that anyway without any Profile. That's pretty close to an exact quote.

Mind you, I disagree with that. The Psych Profile just allows the game to be that much more customized to each gamer.

Why the hell does the game being personally customized to me matter so much? What if I was terrified of giant walking stilettos and sloppy joes?

Andrex said:
Ah so you were just trying to discredit the Wii version by putting words in someone else's mouth, just so you could justify not playing the lead version to yourself and others.

/psych profiling

Don't be ridiculous, I own a Wii :D

JDSN

Banned
Andrex said:
It was at the end of today's Silent Hill 2 review, where he said he's kind of optimistic for Shattered Memories, but that it shouldn't need quizzes and such to get inside your head as SH2 did just that without them, or something.

Edit- Full quote:

Is it just me or theres nothing related to the Wiimote in there?
Or is Thechilly doing his passive-agressive Sony love again?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
TheChillyAcademic said:
Eh, I was wrong, it happens!

Often.

TheChillyAcademic
I owe every gaffer money.
Free yen for everyone!
(Today, 10:43 PM)
Reply | Quote

Quite. :lol

Also this game's greatness is slowing down the GAFs. :D

Andrex said:
Also this game's greatness is slowing down the GAFs. :D

It's always been sort of a B-side series, despite its excellent sales over the years. The game hardly ever get talked about, but they're great for what they are.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
disappeared said:
It's always been sort of a B-side series, despite its excellent sales over the years. The game hardly ever get talked about, but they're great for what they are.

Apparently Homecoming bombed, and the franchise has been seeing diminishing sales with each entry since 2 if sales-agers are to be believed.

I do have to say the game looks incredible. The textures are phenomenal, as is the lighting and particle effects. A lot of the geometry is basic, but there's tons of it. Cinematics are all in-game too. Game gets my vote for best-looking third-party realistic-3D non-MH3 Wii game. Very specific, I admit, but very prestigious too. :lol

venom2124

I just noticed amazon is selling the ps2 version for $30. No question I'm picking it up, but I still have major doubts about the game. This will be the fourth time the story of the original game will be told (Silent Hill, Origins, the movie, and now Shattered Memories). It just feels like the series is treading water, and that kills me as it is my favorite in all of gaming. This was a perfect oppurtunity to craft a completely new story that takes place in the town. I understand many things will be changed, but I would have preferred something original.

But even though I have my doubts, I'm ordering it soon. Konami could package dog shit in a Silent Hill box and I would buy it day one.

RagnarokX

Andrex said:

Edit- Full quote:
But Silent Hill 2 didn't really get inside YOUR head; it got inside of James' head, which linked the main character, the plot, and the very environment together. This game aims to tailor the experience to the gamer in a similar fashion, but to do so the game needs to know more about you. Whether or not it turns out to be more shallow than Silent Hill 2 remains to be seen, and it may very well end up being up to the individual.

I think the game looks excellent. I must say, though, that Harry needs a better ringtone, and I hope they use a better cursor in the final build.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
venom2124 said:
I just noticed amazon is selling the ps2 version for $30. No question I'm picking it up, but I still have major doubts about the game. This will be the fourth time the story of the original game will be told (Silent Hill, Origins, the movie, and now Shattered Memories). It just feels like the series is treading water, and that kills me as it is my favorite in all of gaming. This was a perfect oppurtunity to craft a completely new story that takes place in the town. I understand many things will be changed, but I would have preferred something original.

But even though I have my doubts, I'm ordering it soon. Konami could package dog shit in a Silent Hill box and I would buy it day one.

I kind of consider this a sequel to the first game. The "actual" story takes place in a psychologist's office years after SH1 with Harry in the chair, and the gameplay is him just stitching his memories together, a quite ingenious way to go back to the first game but with a huge amount of creative freedom. Going by interviews, the devs are really targeting SH1 fans who think they know the game inside and out, and are changing up a lot of major things accordingly.

Teknoman

TheChillyAcademic said:
Why the hell does the game being personally customized to me matter so much? What if I was terrified of giant walking stilettos and sloppy joes?

Do you realize how scary those would be in Silent Hill?

Andrex said:
I kind of consider this a sequel to the first game. The "actual" story takes place in a psychologist's office years after SH1 with Harry in the chair, and the gameplay is him just stitching his memories together, a quite ingenious way to go back to the first game but with a huge amount of creative freedom. Going by interviews, the devs are really targeting SH1 fans who think they know the game inside and out, and are changing up a lot of major things accordingly.

Would be interesting to eventually find out when the actual visit takes place, specifically how close it is to
his death
and Heather's teenage life.

Silent Hill 3 Spoiler Above.

Raistlin

Damn, that looks pretty impressive. I would have believed someone if they told me it was an SD video of a PS360 title.

RagnarokX

TheChillyAcademic said:
Would be interesting to eventually find out when the actual visit takes place, specifically how close it is to
his death
and Heather's teenage life.

Silent Hill 3 Spoiler Above.
I highly doubt this game has any relationship to the previously established franchise. It's a reimagining; like a reboot.

Rippa

Looking pretty good!

First this game then 2 weeks later with Dead Space will make for some Terrifyingly good times!

I can't wait.

:D

venom2124

Andrex said:

I hear you, and I really hope the game is amazing.

Another concern I have is Harry having to flee from his attackers. At first this sounded like a scary feature, but after seeing a demo i'm unsure. How many times can a chase occur before it loses it effect? During an E3 walkthrough, the player was grabbed quite a few times and had to to the same motion to break the hold. Instead of scary it looked rather annoying. I'm praying to Sammael that I won't have to mash a button everytime a monster grabs Harry.

While many hate the combat in Silent Hill, I've always enjoyed killing every monster in a building and thoroughly exploring every inch of the place. The games were never less scary if I had a lead pipe or handgun. The dread was always there. A forced escape segment in a horror game is best used in moderation.

I'm aware I sound nitpicky and negative, but I'm looking forward to the game. At least we're getting a new Silent Hill. That's always a good thing.

Amir0x

Banned
TheExecutive said:
I really dont care too much about graphics in a survival horror game though. Sure grahics bring a TINY element of atmosphere but the majority is build around suspense. With the lack of any weapons in this game it seems to provide this in spades.

Saying visuals are a "TINY" element of any horror themed movie or videogame is like saying the motion controls is a "TINY" element of Wii.

It is hugely, immensely important to get the visuals right in a horror game. The mere hint of a misstep and your horror game goes from frightening nightmare to being a parody of itself. I've seen horror games where simply the enemy design ruins the atmosphere.

Of course, graphics are hugely important in all games - I'm not a elitist who tries to score gamer cred by pretending otherwise - but in horror games, they are extra important.

Please put this aside from any criticism of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, as my comment has nothing to do with the game. Just taking aim at more of this "visuals impacts are so tiny hurr hurr" nonsense.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
Saying visuals are a "TINY" element of any horror themed movie or videogame is like saying the motion controls is a "TINY" element of Wii.

It is hugely, immensely important to get the visuals right in a horror game. The mere hint of a misstep and your horror game goes from frightening nightmare to being a parody of itself. I've seen horror games where simply the enemy design ruins the atmosphere.

Of course, graphics are hugely important in all games - I'm not a elitist who tries to score gamer cred by pretending otherwise - but in horror games, they are extra important.

Please put this aside from any criticism of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, as my comment has nothing to do with the game. Just taking aim at more of this "visuals impacts are so tiny hurr hurr" nonsense.

If your Wii is still blinking you should probably go check out why.

Barakov

The subtle differences in the two playthroughs are quite nice. The more I see of this the more I want it.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
If your Wii is still blinking you should probably go check out why.

I get a feeling at this point I know what is going on here, so I'll turn it on.

Thanks in advance and all.

I beat Little King's Story so I actually unplugged my Wii so the blue light would stop keeping me up at night. Yes... you read that right... rather than turn on my Wii, I unplugged it.

:p

But i'll load it up. I wonder if it'll turn on... my Wii is shitty.

Top Bottom