• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories videos from GamesCon

ZAK

Amir0x said:
Saying visuals are a "TINY" element of any horror themed movie or videogame is like saying the motion controls is a "TINY" element of Wii.

It is hugely, immensely important to get the visuals right in a horror game. The mere hint of a misstep and your horror game goes from frightening nightmare to being a parody of itself. I've seen horror games where simply the enemy design ruins the atmosphere.

Of course, graphics are hugely important in all games - I'm not a elitist who tries to score gamer cred by pretending otherwise - but in horror games, they are extra important.

Please put this aside from any criticism of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, as my comment has nothing to do with the game. Just taking aim at more of this "visuals impacts are so tiny hurr hurr" nonsense.
This. I'm confused why there's all these horror games being made for the Wii.

Nemesis_

The_Technomancer said:
Yahtzee's quote was pretty much that the Psych Profiling to get into the characters head was useless because Silent Hill 2 did that anyway without any Profile. That's pretty close to an exact quote.

Mind you, I disagree with that. The Psych Profile just allows the game to be that much more customized to each gamer.

I disagree with what Yahtzee said purely because the game wasn't scary at all for me, but instead was more interesting.

As for Shattered Memories, hopefully the game will tap into something and creep me out. To be honest, I'm not holding my breath, though.

Amir0x

Banned
ZAK said:

Wii is fine for horror games, don't get my comment twisted.

Anihawk:

Your letter took like twelve years after I turned on my Wii to pop up, but it finally did. I appreciate it, thanks man.

*dusts off Wii*

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
Wii is fine for horror games, don't get my comment twisted.

Anihawk:

Your letter took like twelve years after I turned on my Wii to pop up, but it finally did. I appreciate it, thanks man.

*dusts off Wii*

Sure.
Hopefully you like it better than LostWinds

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ZAK said:

zpav.png

Ehh... it almost fits...

Only thing that bugs me at the moment is how it transitions(or doesnt) when going through doors at times. One time, it seems to go fairly ok from first person to third, then the next time it looks like he just pops up on the screen. This is a bit inconsistent with, say, the way the camera follows him when he jumps the fence in the beginning. Its a canned scene, but it doesnt take you away from the atmosphere, as the ending fence camera scene ties smoothly into the gameplay camera. Another thing that bugs me about it is the whole screen indicator crap when he pulls the pin on the lock and slides it open. That scene completely throws the atmosphere off for me, and would be MUCH better with the actual characters hand, and you move it around to unlock it. It would have been even better if they didnt tell you exactly what to do right there either.

One thing I do like so far is the sound effects, as they seem to be pretty crisp, which is important for a horror title. This game is looking better and better each time I see it. Ill definitely be picking this up, dont really care what it costs.

CamHostage

JDSN said:
I love how the new trailer is the old one with some slight differences, Shatteres memories indeed.

I noticed that too. The particle effects are way better (so much better that it can make you understand why developers don't like to show their games early), the game looks really stunning. I'd like to see some more of the fog (will light do anything interesting in foggy areas?), but the new direction is very intriguing.

Looking fantastic :D

For this old, jaded Silent Hill fan, this was one of the biggest happy surprises of E3. It felt fresh and new and I wanted to play more...

I think I'll wait until I get another Wii before I play this. I feel that the genuine experience would be on the Wii rather than the PS2, and I wouldn't want to spoil that since it looks very cool.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This and Cursed Mountain are two games so high up my list it's not funny. I love horror games, but so many are just fucking disappointing. Throw in the Fatal Frame IV translation project due out by the end of the month and thats 3 awesome looking horrors for the Wii.

Fuck yeah.

EatChildren said:
This and Cursed Mountain are two games so high up my list it's not funny. I love horror games, but so many are just fucking disappointing. Throw in the Fatal Frame IV translation project due out by the end of the month and thats 3 awesome looking horrors for the Wii.

Fuck yeah.
Had no idea fatal frame was coming out so soon.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
abstract alien said:
Had no idea fatal frame was coming out so soon.

Its not, but there's a fan translation patching in the works, and they're making huge strides. Check it out here to see info, screenshots, and a video of the whole thing in motion. They're expecting it done by the end of the month.

EatChildren said:
Its not, but there's a fan translation patching in the works, and they're making huge strides. Check it out here to see info, screenshots, and a video of the whole thing in motion. They're expecting it done by the end of the month.
Q: How will the patch work?

A: We are attempting a very ambitious patch which will patch the original game on-the-fly, something that to my knowledge has never been attempted before. Should we succeed, the patch will be read off an SD card and run through the Wii Memory Management menu, and will function as long as you have the original game in your disc drive.

haha, yeah, that's going to happen

EatChildren said:
Oh wow!

LaneDS

I think the game looks good, but I'm worried the horror will be neutered too much. The icy Silent Hill just doesn't look as menacing as rusty Silent Hill from what has been shown so far, and I'm hoping there are other, far more grotesque enemies in the game (which seems likely).

As mentioned earlier, I too have my reservations about how getting chased every time enemies are around is going to play out. The potential for that to get old very quickly is high, so hopefully Climax is being smart about this sort of thing.

Beyond those concerns, I can't wait to try the game. It could really be something special.

RagnarokX

LaneDS said:
I think the game looks good, but I'm worried the horror will be neutered too much. The icy Silent Hill just doesn't look as menacing as rusty Silent Hill from what has been shown so far, and I'm hoping there are other, far more grotesque enemies in the game (which seems likely).

As mentioned earlier, I too have my reservations about how getting chased every time enemies are around is going to play out. The potential for that to get old very quickly is high, so hopefully Climax is being smart about this sort of thing.

Beyond those concerns, I can't wait to try the game. It could really be something special.
The monsters we've seen so far are blank slates. As the game progresses, their appearances change depending on the decisions the player makes. The combat in Silent Hill was never good; most of the time you can just run around monsters, and boss encounters were basically "run to one side of the room and fire until the monster catches up, then run to the other side and repeat." This new system has more potential to be scary, imo, as you don't have much in the way of defense and the monster AI seems to be much better.

10mtqmh.png

Harry: "I'M LOOKING FOR MY DAUGHTER!!!"
Waitress: "Hard a' hearing, you have to speak up."
Harry (repeats more quietly): "I'm looking for my daughter."

Sam Barlow should have studied creative writing before attempting to create the scenario and script to a psychological horror game.

LaneDS

RagnarokX said:
The monsters we've seen so far are blank slates. As the game progresses, their appearances change depending on the decisions the player makes. The combat in Silent Hill was never good; most of the time you can just run around monsters, and boss encounters were basically "run to one side of the room and fire until the monster catches up, then run to the other side and repeat." This new system has more potential to be scary, imo, as you don't have much in the way of defense and the monster AI seems to be much better.

Ah, I don't think I knew that about the monsters. That's pretty cool.

I stand by my concern about being chased, however. Yes, the combat wasn't very good in any previous SH, but the idea that you're running and shaking the Wiimote or mashing buttons throughout the whole game sounds like it will get very un-frightening very quickly if not done smartly. But it's just a concern, I of course hope it turns out to be a non-issue in the final product.

squinters

astigmatic
Prime Blue said:
10mtqmh.png

Harry: "I'M LOOKING FOR MY DAUGHTER!!!"
Waitress: "Hard a' hearing, you have to speak up."
Harry (repeats more quietly): "I'm looking for my daughter."

Sam Barlow should have studied creative writing before attempting to create the scenario and script to a psychological horror game.

Yeah, I noticed those as well. I can understand the note as covering their bases gameplay wise, but that dialogue was a little confusing.

The_Technomancer said:
Yahtzee's quote was pretty much that the Psych Profiling to get into the characters head was useless because Silent Hill 2 did that anyway without any Profile. That's pretty close to an exact quote.

Mind you, I disagree with that. The Psych Profile just allows the game to be that much more customized to each gamer.

I saw that review. It wouldn't be the Yahtzee we know and love if he didn't make stupid comments about generally insignificant issues in games.

Ofcourse a psych profile will make the atmosphere better.

CiSTM

Banned
I haven't been this excited for a SH game in a while. One of my most wanted wii titles this year... Is it still coming this year ?

I'm sure that SM will suck ass hard. If it doesn't, I'll be happy. If it does suck, too bad. One thing I do hate though is the damn invincible enemies that already ruined SH4 for me. Uh oh.

edit: actually make that 3 things: 2. Wiimote flashlight makes me dizzy. 3. SH1 is one of my favorite games ever so blasphemy jadajadajada.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
It looks great. I've played it, and it's eerie and enjoyable just walking around. However, there are long stretches of absolutely nothing happening really... and while the atmosphere is strong that you don't really get "bored" per se, it also lessens the impact to an extent: you have all this great lighting and flashlight mechanics, but you already know theres nothing lurking in the shadows.

I mean, there are no enemies without a trip to Otherworld, so to speak. So what's really the "scare" factor, in a way, in opening a door slowly and quickly peering around in the dark? You already know there's no enemy hiding in the shadow, nothings going to slink out at you from just behind the light-line of your shadow, since you arent in the Icy world. The occasional enemy would do a lot, I think, without the early warning signs. just so you're always on edge.

Still... day 1.
(I also enjoyed Homecoming)

Erebus

John Harker said:
It looks great. I've played it, and it's eerie and enjoyable just walking around. However, there are long stretches of absolutely nothing happening really... and while the atmosphere is strong that you don't really get "bored" per se, it also lessens the impact to an extent: you have all this great lighting and flashlight mechanics, but you already know theres nothing lurking in the shadows.

I mean, there are no enemies without a trip to Otherworld, so to speak. So what's really the "scare" factor, in a way, in opening a door slowly and quickly peering around in the dark? You already know there's no enemy hiding in the shadow, nothings going to slink out at you from just behind the light-line of your shadow, since you arent in the Icy world. The occasional enemy would do a lot, I think, without the early warning signs. just so you're always on edge.

Still... day 1.
(I also enjoyed Homecoming)
And it's even noticeable from the play-through videos. Also, I kinda dislike the look of the indoor locations in that video. Aren't the rooms too big for a Silent Hill game?

Leckan

It does looks nice enough overall I guess but why does a game on the Wii in 2009 get utterly destroyed, at least in the cut-scenes by a ps2 game from 2003. I'm no graphic whore at all BTW, but was Silent Hill 3 really THAT damn good looking or where they lazy or cut on money and time for this one?

Dascu

DarkUSS said:
And it's even noticeable from the play-through videos.
It really is. From what I've seen, that's definitely my biggest worry about this game. If there's really only enemies in the Otherworld, then I don't think the game's going to be very scary a lot of the time. There's going to be too many moments where you feel safe and at ease, which isn't very good for a horror game. I hope this changes as the game progresses, i.e. longer stretches in the Otherworld, or the real world and the Otherworld merging into one hellish place.

Note: I haven't played Silent Hill 1 (only 2), so I don't know if something like that is actually going to happen.

Dascu

gunther said:
they should have gone cell shaded, everyone knows that the wii cant do realistic...
/sarcasm
:D
I would really, really love to see a cel-shaded horror game. Or at the very least, a horror game with stylized visuals.

gunther

Dascu said:
I would really, really love to see a cel-shaded horror game. Or at the very least, a horror game with stylized visuals.

lol

beje said:
think Killer 7 would apply.

lol, killer 7 wast an horror game it was something diferent, the game never scared me but it didi make me fell really uncomfortable.

billy.sea

Banned
I have a feeling that this game will receive better reviews than Heavy Rain and Alan Wake. The media seem hesitate with the gameplay portion of the latter games. But as a survivor horror/thriller fan, I am extremely excited about all 3 games.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
JDSN said:
I love how the new trailer is the old one with some slight differences, Shatteres memories indeed.
That's kind of the point.

The game is supposed to play out slightly differently for each person, as the game takes data on your play style and adjusts things accordingly.

beje

Banned
According to the last interview at IGN, they even control how players react to scares so the game will throw more loud noises and jump-scares if it detects you fall for them.

Htown said:
That's kind of the point.

The game is supposed to play out slightly differently for each person, as the game takes data on your play style and adjusts things accordingly.

So basically this title is the beginning of the future for Coregames? :D

beje

Banned
Frencherman said:
So basically this title is the beginning of the future for Coregames? :D

I highly doubt most western developers will drop their lazy "it needs more gigahurtz" and "just let the final paying user bug-test this for us" but it the game finds some success (and at this point, more than 100k units sold will be a success for Konami given how did Origins and Homecoming fare) we'll surely see more survival games with similar features.

Top Bottom