• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: The Short Message tops two million downloads

The general opinion on this seems to be that it’s outstanding theme/messaging is pertaining to suicide among other shit, but while there seems to be nothing wrong with that, they push it constantly, as if the player is a recovering lobotomy patient, incapable of retaining information. My take, anway. Still, I would play through it, if and, or; when.

Exentryk

I played this thinking it would be like PT, but it's nothing like that.

This is just a teenage story with a social message attached to it bound in a poorly designed horror framework. The escape sequences are so bad. There is nothing scary here.

The graphics are nice though.

Edit: Playthrough below if anyone wants to form their own opinion about this:

Last edited:
Again, free game...

This is not really something to brag about, specially when you consider this is a derivative, tone deaf game, talking about mental illnesses the writers clearly don't understand.

Just like The Medium, by

*drum roll*

Bloober Team! The Team making SH 2 Remake right now.

Thank you Konami. Love ya.

xrnzaaas

I wonder how many people downloaded it worrying this might become the next PT situation. ;)

Honestly I don't know what their goal was. I don't think they've caught the attention of younger new fans and made them excited about the return of the IP. And of course they didn't make any money off selling it.

SJRB

Gold Member
lol exactly my reaction; the cover image for this game is so incredibly awful looking with that character that I haven't even watched the trailer yet, why bother when this is what they put forward

You're missing out on a complex and subtle story about a high school girl who gets bullied and loses followers on social media; something we can all identify with.

The true horror in life is seeing your follower count drop.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
So let me get the timeline right:

-PT and Silent Hills get canned
- Konami hires GAAS trash-horror dev for SH2
- Konami puts out "The Short Message,"
- Message is "don't kill yourself,"

My money is still on Hasan.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
The general opinion on this seems to be that it’s outstanding theme/messaging is pertaining to suicide among other shit, but while there seems to be nothing wrong with that, they push it constantly, as if the player is a recovering lobotomy patient, incapable of retaining information. My take, anway. Still, I would play through it, if and, or; when.
It makes sense, given the nature of teens these days and how in-your-face stupid many tend to be. It was a decent take for a modern Teenage Silent Hill.

Sadly we don’t live in an age where teens act like Heather anymore.

FeralEcho

You're missing out on a complex and subtle story about a high school girl who gets bullied and loses followers on social media; something we can all identify with.

Guess we know where Mullet Mad Jack got its inspiration
SxCdDNy.jpg

Don't let that follower engagement drop too low or you'll die....The difference is that's an actual kickass game not this teen preachy bullshit.Can we get back to before the time where gaming stories got so pretentious that writters probably bottle their farts to smell them when they replay their shitty soap operas.Back to the time where games were focused on fun adventures not this preachy shit.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Maybe when it hits PC. The barrier of entry at $70 is too great for most of those that downloaded this freebie.
True but it's between £50/55 here so I doubt it's $70 unless you're buying digital... which is one you if that's your choice.
Plus I don't think 67k of sales on PC will do much to help it
I think 4 mill will be easy on PS5, but I doubt it'll hit the target Konami is expecting...then again we don't know what they're expecting.

Also everyone I know that is a "casual" has played it and loved The Short Message ironically.
The internet isn't the place to get a good indication of what people think, because the annoying loud drown out any true opinions and criticism.

Last edited:
It makes sense, given the nature of teens these days and how in-your-face stupid many tend to be. It was a decent take for a modern Teenage Silent Hill.

Sadly we don’t live in an age where teens act like Heather anymore.
(watched someone play through, what appears to be half of the 'game')
I don't think I mind the shittiy acting as much as I minded them shoving the message in your face. I have other nitpicks, but worthless to mention, as I still want to play it and my opinion will more-than-likely... change.

Oh, no!? I'm doomed, with my paltry fucking follower count. :messenger_loudly_crying: 💀

MagnesD3

Watched a playthrough, it looked awful and sounded awful. That thing is a lazy PT ripoff with teenagers whining lol.

Last edited:
I enjoyed my time with it. Nothing spectacular, but I definitely wouldn't say it was bad. Probably helped that it was free. Though, if I had paid $9.99, I wouldn't have been mad, either.

I think the only thing that was off was the live action cutscenes. Those should have either been in game or at least they should have kept the actress's original voice with subtitles, cause the dubbing was a little off-putting.

They approached the subject very weird, having us dislike her due to her made up "first world problems", but this isn't actually what her problems is. Chapter 3 explains why followers are her thin connection to a life or dream of a life and why she is how she is.

The game isn't good, but at least they tried something that is not that common. A struggling main protagonist. Basically did another Kratos ... and compared to him she is almost less whiny about it.

Again, free game...

This is not really something to brag about, specially when you consider this is a derivative, tone deaf game, talking about mental illnesses the writers clearly don't understand.

Just like The Medium, by

*drum roll*

Bloober Team!
*drum roll*
the dev was Konami and Hexadrive, not Bloober

Last edited:
*drum roll*
the dev was Konami and Hexadrive, not Bloober
I feel stupid for having to explain this to a smug dumbass...

Just like
The Medium, by

*drum roll*

Bloober Team! The Team making SH 2 Remake right now.

Thank you Konami. Love ya.
Did you find the part where I stated that Bloober team made The Short Message?

Is it clear to you now that what I was actually saying (Which was already apparent) is that Konami has a pattern of giving Silent Hill to developers that are tone deaf, and don't understand mental illnesses?

And Hexadrive is just repeating the same mistake that Bloober Team made with The Medium? A game that I, again, never said that it was made by Bloober?

Jesus...

Top Bottom