• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: what comes to your mind first?

What song comes to your mind first when you think of "Silent Hill"?

• 1. Never forgive me, never forget me

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • 2. Silent Hill

Votes: 45 91.8%

• Total voters

GenericUser

Actually, the people who made it come to mind. Bunch of "freaks" (freaks in a good way) that were let loose, doing what they wanted to do. Something that is not possible today. No focus group testing, no RPG mechanics, no DLC plans, no bullshit - just passionate people, designing a damn good game.
ApOn0on.jpg

Last edited:
The lead up to Silent Hill 2. Watching the trailers, being in awe of the insane graphics (at the time), reading every bit of info you could find about in online,...
The hype was huge to me and it did not dissapoint.

Edit: Oh, as for the song... it's "Theme of Laura" because of the E3 2001 trailer

Last edited:

GymWolf

Being alone in that school with those fucking mutated childs with a knife and only the statics of the radio\radar rumor in the background.

FunkMiller

Disappointment. If Silent Hill personified anyone it would be Sunny. Looked great at the start and should have a bright future.
YJ8fr2R.jpg
And now the franchise is like Sunny 2022. Rough, disappointing and probably killed a guy
QxQyDlu.jpg

From now on I expect you to critique every single video games news story with analogies to Attitude Era wrestlers.

Don‘t let me down, now.

I think of the 90s. It was a product of its time. Yamaoka pushing some amazing music in the trip-hop, electronic, horror, soundscape genres that was current at the time and reminiscent of bands I was into at the time like Portishead or DJ Shadow. He also plays guitar and had a few tracks with that in it.

The gameplay has never been fantastic, but was good enough at the time. The story was mostly over my head to be honest, as I was a teenager playing it.

I basically just need good music, good art design, and decent on everything else. I'm not expecting anything that's going to totally blow my mind. Resident Evil is pushing more new ground than Silent Hill, and it's pretty much always been that way. RE transformed with 4 right when the formula was getting a bit stale. Transformed again with 7. Transformed again with RE2 Remake. Silent Hill is not really capable of that kind of transformation and will be a fun nostalgia trip at best. If they put emphasis on anything in the new one, make the puzzles good. The combat was never a huge part of the series anyway.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
Nightmares.

I remember doing the opening segment and having a nightmare the same night. As a kid, it took me a while to finish the game but man, what an experience. I also watched my father play the games and it was an experience that I'll treasure forever.

ANIMAL1975

Sound wise can't even remember the OST, it's that freaking radio static that was your eyes in the fog the only thing that comes to mind, and then the creepy siren and everything turning into hell on hearth! _ the first time that shit happened, the first time i lived it, it's one of that gaming experiences that i will never forget! _ Silent Hill had soundtrack?!!! Lol

As for the game in general, and like other people already said, the first thing that comes to mind when remembering Silent Hill, it's that focking fog that only let you see a palm in front of you, and the world transformation when it enters the demonic dimension.

emivita

I still remember watching this trailer on a demo disc that came with a gaming magazine, and was astounded by the graphics and that music. Played the final game (the NTSC uncensored version) a few months later, and it was an unforgettable experience. As a 10 year old kid, I initially thought RE2 was the scariest game ever, then SH came out and literally raped my brain lol...
I think that song eventually made into the final game, maybe in one of the endings if I remember correctly.

New SH games official announcements can't come soon enough!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Over the years I’ve become more of a fan of the Non-Vocal tracks, so Silent Hill 2’s OST is by far the best. There are a handful of great songs with vocals on 3’s and 4’s OST. The mood is set by the melody, not the words. “In my restless dreams..” sets the mood and the melody continues that escape. Elizabeth’s tracks feel so overly used by the industry/community to justify the franchise. They’ve become their own entity that it’s hard to relate to the games. I use to feel the complete opposite, but I find myself enjoying the melody versus some song with a chorus. Those movies didn’t help either. All they did was use a lot of SH2’s OST in the first film.

I like this song. Her voice gets old after a while.

I prefer this:

Last edited:

_Ex_

Great atmosphere, impressive graphic design, intriguing writing. Counterbalanced by annoying game design, locked doors galore levels, and crappy combat mechanics.

Top Bottom