• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity Officially Announced: [New 9 Minute Strategy Video]

Status
Not open for further replies.

dejay

Banned
I can easily see making a slum region and dumping all the pollution heavy stuff into that one region. I like the region stuff a lot but it might ruin the single player experience if you can just make a slum region and not be forced to deal with those problems that pollution and other negative effects.

Problems can cross regional boundaries. For example, build a dirty city and the pollution will eventually cross into neighbouring cities. Have no police in a city and the criminals will start invading their neighbours.

Pandemic

New screen from FB,
''Cities don't live in a bubble. Proof? This new region shot supports up to 16 cities that you can claim privately, with your friends, or with anyone around the world.''
458944_10151317621549866_1835910889_o.jpg

Ranger X

There's something I don't like about the lastest videos showing the region more.

City zones are SMALL. I don't like that. Is it possible to expand outside those squares? Seriously, what's the terrain in the region for if I can't build over it?

LowMax

Neo Member
There's something I don't like about the lastest videos showing the region more.

City zones are SMALL. I don't like that. Is it possible to expand outside those squares? Seriously, what's the terrain in the region for if I can't build over it?
Maybe it's just depth of field blur? Probably to avoid taxing the hardware by showing everything...that's my guess anyways.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Maybe it's just depth of field blur? Probably to avoid taxing the hardware by showing everything...that's my guess anyways.

Yep, Ranger is right. City playing areas are very small in all of the videos and pics released so far. You can really see it in that multiplayer pic a few posts up. There are quite a few player cities in the area, but they are all the same small plot size. It almost looks like a Sim City 4 city on the smallest region tile.

If we can place city regions right smack next to each other and connect every road and transit path, then it will just be a nuisance rather than a hinderance. If we can't, then it's going to really limit us serious city builders big time. I have to wonder if they are targeting SC5 more towards the casual social players than the hobbyist city builders.

Again, I'm optimistic, but hesitant, and very much waiting for the game to come out and get some playtime from the community before I buy it. I'm still not convinced I am going to like this more than Sim City 4, and that bothers me....

I think they already mentioned that cities are much smaller in this game. But you are not supposed to play in one city alone, your supposed to play multiple cities.

Mengy

Wow, that's like the worst design decision I think I've ever heard...

If we can make "city" plots adjacent, as in seamless, and if all transit / power / utility networks are completely interconnected, then I see it being less of an issue and just a nuisance. But if it's like they show in that pic above, and we are going to have a whole bunch of scattered little plots of skyscrapers and packed city zones with lots of green empty space in between them, then it will suck hardcore. Sim City 4 had it just about perfect, it would be a shame to lose that in SC5. We already can't terraform at all though, so I have serious doubts about what the developers are choosing for their design points in SC5.

RayStorm

If we can make "city" plots adjacent, as in seamless, and if all transit / power / utility networks are completely interconnected, then I see it being less of an issue and just a nuisance. But if it's like they show in that pic above, and we are going to have a whole bunch of scattered little plots of skyscrapers and packed city zones with lots of green empty space in between them, then it will suck hardcore. Sim City 4 had it just about perfect, it would be a shame to lose that in SC5. We already can't terraform at all though, so I have serious doubts about what the developers are choosing for their design points in SC5.

I totally agree with you. I'm just a bit more optimistic.

What I also don't quite understand/like is the region map, is it only possible to have 16 cities within one region interconnected to each other? I'm a bit different than most in that I would love a persistent online world, where theoretically unlimited cities can influence me and the other way round.

What I would have loved to see is regions changing dynamically e.g. two small cities with suburbs becoming one booming metropolis over time.

Ranger X

Yep, Ranger is right. City playing areas are very small in all of the videos and pics released so far. You can really see it in that multiplayer pic a few posts up. There are quite a few player cities in the area, but they are all the same small plot size. It almost looks like a Sim City 4 city on the smallest region tile.

If we can place city regions right smack next to each other and connect every road and transit path, then it will just be a nuisance rather than a hinderance. If we can't, then it's going to really limit us serious city builders big time. I have to wonder if they are targeting SC5 more towards the casual social players than the hobbyist city builders.

Again, I'm optimistic, but hesitant, and very much waiting for the game to come out and get some playtime from the community before I buy it. I'm still not convinced I am going to like this more than Sim City 4, and that bothers me....

The trick will actually be to NOT play this game online. And there it could beat SimCity4. (and I am mesuring what I am saying cause SimCity4 is like one of my fav games ever)

RS4-

What I would have loved to see is regions changing dynamically e.g. two small cities with suburbs becoming one booming metropolis over time.

Yeah, I wonder if the area you pick, expands over time as population grows. Then again, you could just have massive areas to start with as well, not not as interesting I suppose.

Mengy

The trick will actually be to NOT play this game online. And there it could beat SimCity4. (and I am mesuring what I am saying cause SimCity4 is like one of my fav games ever)

Yeah, I have no idea how many hours I've spent with SC4 over the years but I'm sure it's a staggering amount. I have a new region I started a few months ago that every once in awhile I open to make some new progress.

My biggest problems with Sim City 4 are:

- bad performance with large regions, even on modern PC's
- no curved or freeform roads or zones
- creating new landscapes from scratch can be difficult, I wish it had better terraforming tools
- the NAM network mod should be standard in the base game

If they had just updated those four things into Sim City 4 plus new 3D graphics and called it Sim City 5 I'd be literally pissing myself in excitement over this game. I would have pre-ordered this so hard that I would have gladly payed double price just to have it. And I'm not even joking. :)

Mobius 1

Some interesting bits from the AMA:

This is definitely a game for the hardcore fans. When we started this project, we looked at previous SimCity games and evaluated what made them great. We looked at fan sites, spoke with fans, looked at reviews, and looked at what the SimCity 4 community was up to. We wanted to make sure that we delivered on the core values of SimCity. Probably the most important pillar of the game has always been simulation and that's where we put the bulk of our efforts. We felt if we did satisfy our core audience, then why make it.

Wait until you see all of data layers and numbers we have, Crime, Health, Sickness, Coal, Ore, Oil, Global Markets, loans, student (Grade and College). We track more than 30 sim types from homeless, to shoppers, to tourisist, to criminals. If you like stats, this is the game for you.

Questions about city density have been ignored so far.

There will indeed be no terraforming or subways.

Mengy

Questions about city density have been ignored so far.

And that worries me. The fact that they talked to players and forums gives me hope, but I'm wondering if they just ran into technical limitations that they couldn't overcome when it comes to city size. Especially considering the strong multiplayer focus and data transfer and bandwidth and whatnot.

Still hoping my gut feeling is dead wrong.

Perkel

Banned
Damn we need Chris Taylor to do another tycoon game Transportation tycon was absolute amazing.

Now if he could create City tycoon.. That would be amazing. And of course on upgraded Rollercoaster engine which was/is excelent

kickstarter ?

Mr Swine

Banned
Yeah, I have no idea how many hours I've spent with SC4 over the years but I'm sure it's a staggering amount. I have a new region I started a few months ago that every once in awhile I open to make some new progress.

My biggest problems with Sim City 4 are:

- bad performance with large regions, even on modern PC's
- no curved or freeform roads or zones
- creating new landscapes from scratch can be difficult, I wish it had better terraforming tools
- the NAM network mod should be standard in the base game

If they had just updated those four things into Sim City 4 plus new 3D graphics and called it Sim City 5 I'd be literally pissing myself in excitement over this game. I would have pre-ordered this so hard that I would have gladly payed double price just to have it. And I'm not even joking. :)

Turn down the shadow setting to the lowest and the game doesn't feel like a slide show anymore

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Not sure if this has already been mentioned or talked about But ---

There is a Reddit AMA right now with the Devs and the big focus seems to be the always Online DRM they have.

Apparently if you lose your connection your game state should continue unhindered for a matter of minutes before booting you out of the game/your city (if you don't regain your connection)

Personally... i may have to pass on this as I was imagining it would be a fantastic way to burn time at work on my slow weekend days but there is no way I can connect to my work wireless with my home laptop to play video games. Still.. looks pretty tho.

sry if this is old hat. ignore/shame moving on.

inky

Personally... i may have to pass on this as I was imagining it would be a fantastic way to burn time at work on my slow weekend days but there is no way I can connect to my work wireless with my home laptop to play video games. Still.. looks pretty tho.

Yep, it's old, but can't be stated enough. That's one of the reasons I'm passing on this one, the others being that their social emphasis, DLC scheme, and no mod support, which are probably going to suck too. And EA of course.

Shame, it looks kinda nice too.

Apath

Not sure if this has already been mentioned or talked about But ---

There is a Reddit AMA right now with the Devs and the big focus seems to be the always Online DRM they have.

Apparently if you lose your connection your game state should continue unhindered for a matter of minutes before booting you out of the game/your city (if you don't regain your connection)

I hope EA takes note of how much flack the game gets for its DRM implementation. I know you always hear bitching about it, but this literally kills playability for a good deal of people. I personally won't buy the game until it can be played offline.

Ranger X

My problem isn't much that the city zone are small, it's that they don't even cover 50% of the whole region in that screenshot up there. I mean, WHY? This could be a deal breaker for me if I am relegated to those 16 little squares. And why make all this terrain anyways? I don't get it.

Pandemic

To be honest, the city in this image,
simcity_653621b.jpg

Looks pretty tiny, you can see it stop with buildings then the rest is terrain. Hopefully that's not as big as we can go in terms of building our cities.

Mengy

To be honest, the city in this image,
simcity_653621b.jpg

Looks pretty tiny, you can see it stop with buildings then the rest is terrain. Hopefully that's not as big as we can go in terms of building our cities.

From all the media released so far, that is the city size limit. Either there is a larger size option they have not showed us yet, or that's it. But like I said before, if we can plop the small city sizes right next to each other, and just have our large cities divided up into little playable zones, then it shouldn't matter so much and will only be a nuisance. (crosses fingers...)

Ranger X

I wouldn't believe we can't use more than like 50% of the region terrain.
That's however what this screenshot here demonstrate. :(

458944_10151317621549866_1835910889_o.jpg

I really am a sad Panda.

:(

Mengy

One thing is for certain, Sim City 5 looks absolutely beautiful. They have done an amazing job at improving the graphics of the game. If it plays as good as it looks then we are in store for the best Sim City game ever.

I wish it was coming out sooner so we could get more information about it and some in depth impressions. The wait to see how the game has turned out is going to be tough.

Mengy

I hate that effect. :\ I don't want a toy box, I want the feeling of a huge city I'm looking over.

I'm hoping there is at least an option to change it's intensity, or at best turn it off completely. I have a feeling they are doing it for performance issues though. Maybe a mod will get made to turn it off after release.

marrec

Banned
They could tone down that blur a little bit unless it's some cinematic screenshot thing that's optional.

I wonder if there will be an Aperture setting... that'd be dope.

As it is, those screen shots have a VERY narrow FOV.

Cannot wait for this. Has the beta for this already began/closed?

Beta hasn't started, will probably start soon. You can sign up on the website.

Ranger X

I'm hoping there is at least an option to change it's intensity, or at best turn it off completely. I have a feeling they are doing it for performance issues though. Maybe a mod will get made to turn it off after release.

Probably not, this depth of field would actually cost more ressources than if there wasn't any....

Pandemic

Maxis explains the use of SimCity always-online DRM
Today, Maxis frontwoman and senior VP Lucy Bradshaw has stepped in in an attempt to clear the air. In a statement on simcity.com, she touches on EA’s design motivations and technical reasons for implementing an always-online requirement in all SimCity modes, emphasizing that the game “was designed to be connected from the ground up.”

inky

I really doubt the simulation is so extensive and complicated that it needs dedicated servers to do the bulk of it. I'd be less antagonistic if they just admitted they wanted a closed environment for DLC purposes and the like.

It is what it is, and it's not going to change, so done beating the same dead horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom