• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity Officially Announced: [New 9 Minute Strategy Video]

Status
Not open for further replies.

King_Moc

Banned
The size of the cities and the gaps between them is utterly baffling, other than that, it looks excellent.

And lol at this being £65 for the digital version on Origin.

Definity

I've read a few articles and watched some of the videos and the actual simulation in simcity 4 seems so shallow compared to the new one. I guess that's what I'm most interested in along with building out a city specialization. I never did really build out large regions in the last game but I could see why some folks would miss that.

Pandemic

Little old but interesting,
Maxis: SimCity’s “lonely experience” influenced always-online play[
Speaking to Polygon, Creative Director Ocean Quigley added justifications, saying the decision was spurred by the way real-life cities interact and the “lonely experience” of previous SimCity games.

“If you look back at previous SimCities, they were almost all self-contained,” Quigley said. “Every city wound up doing pretty much everything. That drove all the cities to a certain level of homogeneity, and all the cities sort of converged onto the same sort of thing over the arc of play. That struck me as being a little sad. If you look at real cities, they all clearly do distinct things and have identities based around those things. I wanted to let cities differentiate themselves and let them find some way that wouldn’t automatically make them converge and allow them take on unique identities.”

“SimCity is always kind of a lonely experience; you’re planning your cities all by yourself,” continued Quigley. “One of the ways that things you do take on significance is how they affect other people. The things that you do for other people give meaning to your own life and your own existence. I wanted to make cities more resonant and meaningful, and thought they would have more presence if they were doing things for other cities as well. The cities matter to the people around you, not just to you.”

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
What are the chances of a mod to increase the sizes of the city? Or are EA going to be clamping down on mods?

On one hand, Maxis has acknowledged how important the mod scene has been for Sim City 4. But on the other hand, they have stated that Sim City 5 will not have mod support because of the online nature of the game.

Could there be mod support down the road after release? No one knows, but we do know it won't be a feature at launch, nor is it planned with any kind of schedule or date. My hunch is we will never see true freeware mod support, but will instead see some kind of user mod DLC shopping module where EA gets a cut of all sales, or something like that.

In the AMA, one of the devs said that part of the simulation is actually being offloaded onto EA's servers.

I'm not knowledgeable about computer science or IT, but is it because of EA trying to force us to play with others?

I'm fairly sure the offload of processing is strongly due to anti-piracy policy. If the game isn't self contained then it can't be pirated easily, kind of like Diablo III or any MMO.

Could all the processing be done on the owners own PC? Of course, much more efficiently too.

Pandemic

New screens,
530619_10151376391139866_2020651631_n.jpg

Vroom-vroom! Lead Producer Kip Katsarelis is hosting a motocross event in his city.

What kind of events do you want to run in your city?

735484_120767838095929_438906394_o.jpg

From Ocean Quigley's blog: One of my favorite things to do in SimCity is to put my Mayors house in the most grandiose spot I can find. Here's a few snapshots of my mayors house, perched on the edge of the canyon.
SCRUI+loaded+%5BDebugRelease%5D+1142013+10839+PM.jpg

SCRUI+loaded+%5BDebugRelease%5D+1142013+12903+PM.jpg

SCRUI+loaded+%5BDebugRelease%5D+1142013+20300+PM.jpg

SCRUI+loaded+%5BDebugRelease%5D+1142013+22856+PM.jpg

Beach Town
Done+Recomputing+Strata+%5BDebugRelease%5D+1142013+53138+PM.jpg

Done+Recomputing+Strata+%5BDebugRelease%5D+1142013+62042+PM.jpg

Cargo train at Trade Port
train+at+trade+port.png

Smelting Factory with Metal HQ, day
smelting+factory+day.png

Smelting Factory with Metal HQ, night
smelting+factory+night.png

I need to stop visiting this thread, it keeps tempting me. I was originally worried about the scale but it looks fine. The always on-line doesn't even bother me that much. But Origin UGH.

New screenshots are zoomed in. Those that do show the background, show empty hills. So I wouldn't get too excited about larger sprawling cities.

New screenshots are zoomed in. Those that do show the background, show empty hills. So I wouldn't get too excited about larger sprawling cities.

No, I'm excited about the higher density of the city Pandemic posted. This is the most we've seen of a complex (read: "high" population city), as far as I'm aware. I know the city size didn't get magically larger.

Edit: The reason I'm still trying to be hopeful about this game (and the reason I even pre-purchased it in the first place) is that I purchased it as an anniversary gift for my fiancée. She doesn't have a history with the SimCity franchise and will get much enjoyment out of it. I'm essentially trying to rationalize my purchase because I normally don't purchase PC games at release. Yes, the fact that she will enjoy it should be enough, but since I'll most likely play it also, I'd like to not be upset over the changes EA has made.

Chili

You can forget that you will do something like this. I doubt 1mln population will be achievable with amount of space in SimCity5

Yep, doesn't look like it. From the AMA:

What is, in theory, the maximum population a city could hold in Simcity?

Oh, I don't know. Hundreds of thousands, in any case. Depends on how well you do it, and if your city is focused solely on residential (so you're packing nothing but apartment blocks in and doing everything else in other cities)

Mengy

The blur is so intense and jarring that I'm actually beginning to think that it's purpose is to hide those empty spaces along the city borders in the background that you are talking about. Because in many of the pics that are zoomed out enough to show the city borders, there is always a band of empty green in the back of them, but the abrupt city limit isn't so noticeable due to the overdone blurring. Kind of clever of them actually.

I hope there is a mod in the future to let you place down your own street lights and furniture. I know thats incredibly micro managing but i love that aspect of Roller Coaster Tycoon, creating different themed areas and lighting.

Rootbeer

Banned
Got an e-mail reminding me that Jan 31st is the last day to pre-order this game on Origin if you want the $50 in savings (5 $10 vouchers to use on future origin games)

I need to order this game but ugh -__- Can't get over the whole origin thing... what if it somehow comes to Steam in the future and I regret spending my $80 on Origin >.<

Also kind of paranoid that this game is going to DLC and Expansion spam you to death just like The Sims 3 has done. I love new content but it's kind of a bit much.

Got an e-mail reminding me that Jan 31st is the last day to pre-order this game on Origin if you want the $50 in savings (5 $10 vouchers to use on future origin games)

I need to order this game but ugh -__- Can't get over the whole origin thing... what if it somehow comes to Steam in the future and I regret spending my $80 on Origin >.<

Also kind of paranoid that this game is going to DLC and Expansion spam you to death just like The Sims 3 has done. I love new content but it's kind of a bit much.

Amazon typically has very good deals when it comes to digital downloads that use Steam / Origin codes. I prefer to get all of my Origin games (which is a very limited number) from Amazon. I think I remember getting BF3 for ~$20 off retail when it came out just by going with Amazon.

Mengy

It is EA after all, so those fears have some merit. I feel likewise, and its why I'm waiting until the game releases. I want to read reviews and hear people's opinions and watch gameplay vids on youtube before I buy it. Some developers, like Blizzard for example, I'm comfortable buying day one. EA is not a developer I trust that well, and with the concerns I have about how this game is turning out, I am certainly waiting to see what the final product is. With the small city sizes, the always online aspect, the extreme blur, and the super focus on social gameplay, I just need to wait. It's not my ideal design philosophy for a Sim City game. Ever since Master of Orion III I always trust my instincts and research every game I buy, and every fiber in my being is telling me to adopt a "wait and see" approach to SC5.

That said, I can't wait for it to finally come out so we can really see what it's like. I truly hope it's as good as Sim City 4 and all the previous ones were.

Row

Banned
Those screens look great, and some seem to suggest the ability to atleast make a medium-sized city. Not a fan of all that space in those dense commercial areas though.

Ranger X

Jeez man, if there is a God there will be an option to remove or dramatically tone down this shitty depth of field. I'm even wondering if I should add this to my "possible deal breaker" list. (which is sadly having a couple of elements already)

That won't happen unless EA dies. Origin exclusivity is here to stay for the foreseeable future.

Jeez man, if there is a God there will be an option to remove or dramatically tone down this shitty depth of field. I'm even wondering if I should add this to my "possible deal breaker" list. (which is sadly having a couple of elements already)

Shouldn't it be possible to disable the DoF in the INI?

Angst

That won't happen unless EA dies. Origin exclusivity is here to stay for the foreseeable future.

Shouldn't it be possible to disable the DoF in the INI?

Possibly. Unless that is interpreted by EA servers as you having tampered with the game and as it's EA - ban you from playing the game.

Possibly. Unless that is interpreted by EA servers as you having tampered with the game and as it's EA - ban you from playing the game.

Actually, don't they ban your whole account and lock you out of every game you've purchased?

Edit: Where are all of these shots coming from, Pandemic?

Pandemic

Actually, don't they ban your whole account and every game you've purchased?

Edit: Where are all of these shots coming from, Pandemic?

Either here, or here.

Two new screens,
Looking towards the rising sun - check out the bloom and lens glare.
SCRUI+loaded+%5BDebugRelease%5D+1162013+42821+PM.jpg

Here's a sequence showing night transitioning into morning (on an oil power plant!)
breaking+dawn.jpg

the cities buildings still repeat which is unfortunate

like the beach pic with the High School and you have two donut stores that copy looks so off

and the city having so many similar buildings, could they not program it to not have similar structures so close to each other?

Chili

Valve offers their games on Steam only, nobody cares. EA offers their games on Origin only, you guys can't shut up about it.

Valve don't offer their games at a minimum of £44.99 and £64.99 if you want all the content on day one. C'mon now, their policies and treatment of consumers is not even comparable.

GlamFM

Banned
I could watch these Gameplay Strategy Videos for hours, might get a PC just for this game.

Love the tilt shift look.

GlassBox

Banned
Something about the tilt-shift blur seems inconsistent to me. I can't help but wonder if these images are being digitally retouched to add more blur. Because it definitely feels like the blur is being added in to hide backgrounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom