• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity offline mode is FINALLY coming

What a fucking mess of a game. It just sucks that there's nothing on the horizon regarding a competent city building game.
It's set in medieval times, but it looks great:

Banished

A3-1024x576.jpg
A1-1024x576.jpg
A7-1024x576.jpg
Coming Feb 18th.

Revven

I thought they did this ages ago... they announced it was coming like last summer, didn't they? Seems strange it would take this long but maybe that's because they wanted to get the most out of their always-online lol.

Still an awful game though.

eznark

Banned
Makes sense that these people are delaying adding this as long as possible. I assume that after this fiasco is finally wrapped up they'll all be looking for work. Hopefully someone with a clue tries to revive the franchise in a couple decades when this stink has finally worn off.

Mael

Did they ever fixed that fucked up agents pathfinding? I remember laughing at the water agents never visiting some parts of the cities, taxi agents riding in circles, primitive traffic agent AI that was always picking the shortest route, not the fastest (dirt road vs two lane) and always turning right on every crossroad.

It was a source of so many stories I told my friends.
Usually it ended with "you know everything in this game works this way : the path used is always the shortest not the fastest. The difference is slight but important".
The best game I never played, really I don't think a game provided more entertainment last year.

epmode

Blizzard should do this for Diablo 3 on PC.

Unlike SimCity, Diablo 3 is constantly downloading important game code from the servers, even in single player, so it's not so easy.

I agree that they should have created an offline mode, though. Follow the Diablo 2 model, IMO.

But that's not an incorrect statement? You "literally don't know what you're talking about" doesn't mean "you're wrong".

Gies please leave.

But seriously, there are people who showed him a modded game with the offline working. They dissected the game. It's clear some people know as much as the developers when they create workarounds for the players.

Plus, those "excuses" by EA and Maxis were absolute bullshit and clearly noted they didn't know what they were talking about.

LiK

Unlike SimCity, Diablo 3 is constantly downloading important game code from the servers, even in single player, so it's not so easy.

I agree that they should have created an offline mode, though. Follow the Diablo 2 model, IMO.

I hope this is sarcasm. The console versions are completely offline. Maybe just allow everything to be installed on the PC.

Surprised that it took so long. I guess almost a year after release they aren't too worried about piracy anymore

Pretty much. The higher ups who demanded the always online have finally given them the green light. Arthur Gies fully endorses their decision of course.

Dice//

Banned
Too little too late?

Ah well, hopefully not -- hopefully TONS of people now buy it to justify not implementing mandatory online anymore.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
But that's not an incorrect statement? You "literally don't know what you're talking about" doesn't mean "you're wrong".

It's incorrect because "you don't know what you're talking about" is a stupid point. People said "but it could be patched to play offline. There's nothing in the engine stopping it" (double so when people went through the data files!) Arthur threw a shit-fit and whiteknighted EA by going "NO U U DNT NO WUT UR TALKING BOUT!"

WRONG as this news post indicates.

People versus EA - 1
Arthur - 0. Doesn't know what he's talking about.

Valnen

Blizzard should do this for Diablo 3 on PC.

Now that there's no AH or economy I actually agree. It would also fix the microstutter issue the game has because they'd have to change the way the engine loads data to accommodate an offline mode. The game has no stutter on consoles so it actually feels like it's smoother on a PS3 than my PC. That's insane.

inky

I hope this is sarcasm. The console versions are completely offline. Maybe just allow everything to be installed on the PC.

They will never do it even though they are getting rid of the AH, and I hate them for it. I had to endure 100-150 ms latency every session.

The good news is, the RoS streams made me consider the expansion is not worth it. Not much is changed, and the always online is a miserable experience for me in that game.

eznark

Banned
The console versions are completely offline. Maybe just allow everything to be installed on the PC.

Given the battle.net client they now force on you, I doubt any Blizzard PC game will ever be truly off-line again.

Will probably buy this for the wife now. We both played the demo they released and I wasn't in love with it, but wifey liked it. If its like $15-20 bucks, Ill jump on it, especially now that it can be modded.

LiK

They will never do it even though they are getting rid of the AH, and I hate them for it. I had to endure 100-150 ms latency every session.

The good news is, the RoS streams made me consider the expansion is not worth it. Not much is changed, and the always online is a miserable experience for me in that game.

I'll still pick up the PC expansion. I'm planning on replaying it without the AH which plagued the initial release. Really hated getting shitty gear constantly. Can't wait to actually get good gear. I'll still pick up the ps4 version whenever that comes out.

To be fair, he's right. He's not saying that it cant be patched in, just that nobody outside of people working on the game would know whether its possible or not.

He was saying it wasn't possible for this game to be offline.

It was possible then, and it's happening now, officially, so he was completely wrong, as he almost always is.

Valnen

Too little too late?

Ah well, hopefully not -- hopefully TONS of people now buy it to justify not implementing mandatory online anymore.

Yeah buying this game right after the patch would probably send quite the message. I'd totally do it if the game itself actually interested me.

Listonosh

I still recall them saying "SimCity Offline is NOT possible" and that the game requires too many calculations handled by the EA servers for it to not function if it were to be offline

Guys guys, it's not like they can just flip a switch and--- oh, wait

Valnen

He was saying it wasn't possible for this game to be offline.

Not really what it looks like to me. I guess it could be interpreted that way. But it's true, we didn't actually know if it could be patched or not until it actually happened. (Actually we knew when someone made a hack for it but that's a different story)

I am kind of curious to know what work went into patching this in.

judhudson

That Banished game looks promising, I may have to look into that instead.

And wow at that region size. I'm hoping that now with offline player, modders can finally do their work and try to get bigger regions implemented themselves. Is it possible? Hard telling, but they can do some crazy stuff if they think it'd be worth it. That, however, is the problem. I dunno if this game is worth it for them to do that to.

Dolor

BpXsTDa.jpg

Just in case people somehow think this news makes the game worth playing.

Oh, wow. Still embarrassing to see in comparison.

EA, you monsters, what did you do to my Simcity?

I do recommend Cities XL as a capable replacement though. It does some things even better than SC4.

Top Bottom